120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Alströms:

Ratings: 8,221 |  Reviews: 2,340
3.21/5  rDev -21.9%

3.67/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Only about four months of age on this bottle, so the flavors and aromas are likely sharper than they would be after a few years of aging.

L -- Pours a vivid, slightly hazed orange with a fairly small, cream-colored head produced with well-aerated pour. Minimal retention and some lacing, as to be expected with the high ABV. Looks really pleasing in a snifter. There is some sediment on the bottom of the bottle so make sure to decant when pouring!
S -- Very boozy upfront, with strong notes of rubbing alcohol, bourbon, and barrel. Some sweet caramel malts and dank resinous hops in the background, but the aromas are really dominated by the booze...
T -- Again, *very* boozy upfront with a hot sharpness that cuts through a lot of the other nuanced flavors going on here. I'm also picking up caramel malts, deeply herbal and piney hops, bourbon, and a hint of orange liqueur.
F -- Big, boisterous mouthfeel that somehow remains crisp like most IPAs, despite the incredibly high ABV. The booziness is a little too sharp, however, and the malty sweetness borders on cloying.
O -- This one might be a little too much for me. The malts that are used to offset the bitterness from the extreme hopping seem to take over a little too much.

74/100

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.64/5  rDev -11.4%

Too much booze for me. This party is off the HOOK.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.58/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.07/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

look is copper haze
smell is extremely malty
i mistakingly took a big gulp. i regret doing that. this beer is extremely boozy. hoppy but loads of malty sweetness. not bad at all.
overall, good and interesting but meh

4.43/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look: Pours a seared gold color that forms a dark-amber body in the glass. Minimal off-white head that quickly dissipates to thin lacing on the edges and center. Visible carbonation with tiny bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass too the lacing.

Smell: Very malty, even for a double IPA, light pine and floral notes, alcohol esters in the back of the nose.

Taste: Very sweet and malty up front followed by heavy pine and wood tar notes from the hops. Back note is very spicy with alcohol esters

Feel: Thick but not syrupy on the body, carbonation helps to lighten the brew.

A good beer, but not great. Even as a fan of Imperial/Double IPAs this was a bit much, and certainly not worth the $10 a bottle price tag in my neck of the woods

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.18/5  rDev -22.6%

L: pours dark bronze with a finger of off white head
S: slight sweet hops, big malt for an ipa and booze.
T: just like the nose but with a lot of booze. Not a fan at all

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: dark amber with orange hues. Very light head and light carbonation.
A: very reasonpis with pine and earthy components. Raisin and toasted malts. Some mild citrus. Sweet sent
F: barley wine? Very reasonoit and lots of pine cone. Some mild citrus and lots of fog and raisin very malty for an IPA. Good bitterness and well balanced with bold malt backbone. Somewhat dank. Maybe a little orange toffee candy like.
M: finishes a little sweet with lingering bitterness. Bold and somewhat big body. Mild carbonation but fitting.
O: very good as a barley wine and ok as an IPA. Emjoyes this one and really like the flavor mix. Just not true to an IPA. Big pine and orange toffee.

4.21/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Drank this beer as part of a tasting. Been hanging on to this bottle for almost 3 year (2014 edition I believe).

Pours thick and pretty much transparent dark yellow. Lots of sediment, I'm sure from both the aging process and the amount of hops. Aroma and taste still pretty hot after all this time. Still got hops in the taste. Very big bold flavors of booze, citrus hops, bitter, spices. Nothing complex. A unique beer. Good one to share.

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Staring at a chilled, full bottle, gotta admit, I'm mildy apprehensive about this one. Could it be that I'm a few (okay more than a few) beers in? Maybe. Could it be that this is a beast of a beer? More likely. Could it be that I'm afraid that this will be a boring hop bomb with no real depth and nothing new to offer??? Yeah that's kinda what it is, but fuck this. I'm going to review it anyway, because cool cat loves me.

A: pours a lovely, amber reddish orange, hazy with a quickly dissipating sheet of white foam that quickly becomes a ring, has pleasant lacing as well. In short, nice.
S: sharp malt and earthy, resinous hop aroma abounds! Though I didn't really have to lean into this one to take a whiff, I did, because I'm nothing if not thorough. Clean and sticky pine note, what seems to be citrus (orange specifically). It immediately seems like (shocker, I know) a ramped up version of 90 minute. It's extremely peppery, and almost meaty. It does have those barleywine characteristics everyone mentions which totally makes sense. I feel like someone shoved my nose into a tree and I love it! Pungent and woody (maybe some bergamot)!
T: Okay...drumroll...seems good so far...here goes nothin'...where the fuck are the hops??? It's bitter...a little, but my immediate impression is roasty, with a subtly warm alcohol bite. This is toasty, roasty, and, yes, I know, incredibly sweet. Unfortunately I don't see any date code on the bottle, but I find 90 minute to have more bite than this. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those guys obsessed over IBUs, they have their place, but this needs more to fit it's malt body. It is far too sweet. But, onward and upward. There is bergamot (orange), there is toastiness and roastiness, there is sweetness and there is woodiness, some berry notes as well. There is a delayed but warm alcohol finish, that is more like a liquor than even a fortified wine, like liquor specifically, which is fairly pleasant honestly. The more I drink this, the more it reminds me of earl grey tea, the bergamot really comes through. (side note: the alcohol is impressively well masked in this one)
M: Sticky and incredibly full
O: I'm not sure how old the bottle I have is unfortunately. I got it in NYC in the last two months. That being said, 120 IBUs my ass, either A) No, it's not, or B) it's not enough for the malt, but the only beer that I have had that was memorably sweeter than this was Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw and it was borderline undrinkable. There's a good beer in here, the malt body is wonderfully built and the hops chosen seem to add a good character to the beer, but for me...first of all based on expectation, and second of all based on pure taste, this beer needed more bitterness to make it work. The sweetness here borders on cloying, and it's frustrating, because other than that, it's good, but if that were resolved, it would be great. In summation...ehh...I dunno. Reminds me of Samichlaus in that it is... ... ... ..disappointing. 3.9 as an avg is fucking generous. I love you Icarus, I mean, Dogfish head.

(PS: this beer is so strong, I decided to head it off at the pass about mid way through with a bag of fritos, which unfortunately adds a touch of rubbing alcohol to the flavor)

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A beer to sip, not gulp. Feel is heavy and syrupy. Flavor not what I expected based on experience with 60 minute IPA and 90 Minute IPA from same brewery. The first two times I had this were on tap at The Beer Trappe, which served 120 Minute IPA in 6 oz pours into a snifter. The third time I bought a 12 oz bottle. Flavor hard to describe, except by analogy: as a very peaty scotch is to peat flavor, so is 120 Minute IPA to hoppiness. I found that if I took two sips in a row I didn't like the flavor much of the second sip, but if I took my time then each sip was a treat. I made a 6 oz portion last about a full hour sipping this way, And it's good that the pleasure can be stretched out like that because at $10.50 a bottle I won't be knocking these back very often.

3.67/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Heard a lot about it, mostly because of its high alcohol content and finally scooped one up. Super glad I tried it but was overwhelmed by the taste of straight booze. Once was enuff. PS. About two thirds of sucking up the beer I lost my sense of my body.

4.41/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.56/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1.75/5  rDev -57.4%

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Heard about it and tried one. It had excellent flavor; however, you will want to drink it slowly; and you will want another. Excellent IPA & worth it.

3.83/5  rDev -6.8%