120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Ratings: 8,120 |  Reviews: 2,297
4.02/5  rDev +1.5%

4.89/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.12/5  rDev +4%

1.78/5  rDev -55.1%

Bottle dated 3/16/17. Trying one fresh and I bought a few more to age so will update this as I open them.
Pours an amber color with a 1/2-finger head. Smells sweet, almost like a wee heavy. Primarily citrus/butterscotch aromas. The palate is also sweet, packed with hops, but the malt/sweetness dulls them a bit. Overall the beer is surprisingly balanced and the alcohol barely noticeable. It has a thick, viscous, slightly sweet mouthfeel but not cloying. Overall a big, pleasant beer though nothing particularly stands out. I look forward to following it as it ages

1.44/5  rDev -63.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

I will cut to the chase to avoid confusion. It's cough syrup mixed with rubbing alcohol. Not even glad I got the chance to try it.

4.02/5  rDev +1.5%

A - really nice orange amber color with a white that dissipates quickly, as expected at this abv.
S - big sweet booze, caramel, pine, lemon, kind of reminds me of gubna but alot stronger
T - big sweet booze predominates. Pine, grapefruit, orange and lemon peel. Caramel malt presence.
M - heavy because of the alcohol burn. Alcohol very present. Think like if you were used to drinking redbreast and then took a shot of everclear. It's about the same difference going from 60 or 90 minute to this. Afertaste is general hop bitterness and sweet booze.
O - this is the thing --> brew an 18-20% imperial ipa and make it amazing to drink and then ill slam this. Otherwise ive never had anything like this thats even remotely drinkable. It also has legitimate hop character as well. I've got another but ill probably wait a long time before drinking it.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

4.23/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle was either 2 or 3 years old. IMO taste much better after being aged for a while. Still had a taste of IPA despite the aging. Some fruity stuff like mango & pineapple going on. Only drank half the bottle for fear of getting blasted, as it was not my first beverage of the day. Malt dominant. Stuff is not cheap, but once a year is fantastic. Had drank it a couple times before, and this was the best ever. I thin the fruit comes out over the booze, unless it was lower ABV.

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shade of orange and small amount of head, I could easily identify that this beer was in my wheelhouse for hops. Fantastic mouthfeel and firmness, with a nice malty backbone to balance the hops. Excellent, clean finish. Just a rockstar beer.

3.72/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.84/5  rDev -3%

3.88/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Man, this is a dangerous beer. Does not taste like the ABV that it is. A musty orange color, it has the mature flavor of malt tipped with a small bit of hops.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

The bottle I opened was 4 years old and I paid $20.00 at a charity event. My first thought was I just paid $20.00 and my second thought was it is a 4 year old IPA. Now tradition says an IPA needs to be had fresh. So I was not expecting much. Poured into a 12 ounce tulip glass at cellar temp. First impression - it smelled great. Darkish amberish that lets plenty of light through and it is cloudy. Good head that dissipated with no lacing. No idea of ABV but it can be described as a sweet well balanced old IPA with a pleasurable boozy taste that I enjoy. I never would had believed it was 4 years old. I love it. Time for a nap. It's a great beer. Gonna pony up next time it comes around and cellar it for a long time. it is obvious to me that whomever stored it knew what they were doing.

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I have tried this beer twice. The first time was a bottle that was a few days old, the second was a bottle that had been aged for 18 months. This review is for the second beer that was aged.

Look: Hazy orange with small off-white head that persists. Lacing is moderate.
Smell: Toffee with a sweet booze undertone. Slight citrus scent as well. With aging the booze scent mellows out.
Taste: Caramel/vanilla cream flavor followed quickly by a bit of an alcohol bite/burn. However, the alcohol taste is more refined than a fresh 120 and carries a gentle, slightly pleasant burn. Malt flavor comes through after swallowing and lingers on the tongue for a bit, but the booze taste can drown this out if you take too big of a sip.
Feel: Very creamy and full-bodied. Possibly the best mouthfeel of a beer I've ever had. Carbonation is moderate.
Overall: This beer is worth buying, but you should definitely age this beer for at least a year before drinking. An unaged 120 is harsh and the alcohol masks the subtle creamy flavors of this brew.

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Side by side tasting of 2008 and 2016. The aged version was unbelievable. More viscosity and syrup like. Fresh beer was more floral.

4.95/5  rDev +25%

I'd say this is my hands down favorite beer. Some background on this review, only a few years ago I would only drink things like Coors Light, Rolling Rock, lighter beers, I enjoyed stouts as well, was the only unique beer I could drink, they had to be a non-coffee stout though, Guinness for example... I then moved on to a Cider kick and still do enjoy ciders especially anything from McKenzies. Then I saw this beer one night at a bar, had a buzz on and my buddy said he would give me a ride home and as a dumb drunk decision I chose the bars highest ABV beer they had.

And I was absolutely blown away by the taste, it didn't even taste like an IPA, this beer started my craving for all sorts of other IPAs and now I can drink American styled IPAs as long as they aren't super hoppy, this "IPA" as I like to describe it, is amazing, hands down my favorite beer.

It's hard to find but a local beer distributor near me is able to get it frequently now, $180 for a case, or I can wait in line with others in my local town for $150 cases at a different distributor. He will even hold one back for me since we have a mutual friend.

If you come across this beer, and it's not over $12, I HIGHLY recommend it, or if you haven't had them in awhile I would pay anywhere from $15-18 highly depending on location and how long it's been. My local distributor charges $36 for a FOUR pack, $180 for a case.

It's expensive BUT what I do as well, I buy a case, I drink 12 of them whenever I want to have one, and I am letting the others ferment in segments, 1 year, 2 year, 3 years, 4 years, 3 for each segment. I just started this journey of segmenting them but I am super stoked for November 12th 2017 for that 1 year mark for that 3 pack segment :-).

3.96/5  rDev 0%

4.21/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.53/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's all about the hops with this delicious brew. This is not, chemical, harsh, in your face hops. This is smooth, sweet, piney, balanced, delicious hops. It may be a little one note for some but that not the point here. The point is to showcase hops like no other beer. I would drink this again and again and again. The high ABV is very tolerable and balanced but I recommend sharing with a friend - it's what god beers are made for anyway.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery