120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Ratings: 8,203 |  Reviews: 2,329
2.89/5  rDev -27%

Pours a dark orange into a fifteen ounce straight wall mug at the same temperature as the beer. Half finger off white head that dissipates rapidly. Legs. Hazy to opaque. Very little lacing.

First smell is whiskey. Had the wife to check my breath and she says pure whiskey. Maybe some caramel malts. Some citrus hops.

Taste mimics the nose. Whiskey burn fades into plain alcohol heat. This brew has way to much alcohol. Some citrus hops make it through the alcohol burn.

Full sticky mouthfeel with good carbonation.

Overall I couldn't get past the boozy smell and alcohol flavor. They bury the nose and the palate. I sense a good beer underneath. Just to much of a good thing. The 90 Minute IPA wins hands down.

4.49/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.73/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle. I picked up one bottle when I saw it for the first time earlier this year, I liked it so much I picked up a couple more bottles - if not for how expensive it is, I would have eagerly bought a few cases!

I was surprised at how easy it was to drink this delicious beer, no burn*, just a little warming from the high % ABV! I was also pleasantly surprised that it did not taste overly bitter to me as the "120 IBUs" suggested. I found it very balanced for the style ("Imperial IPA" or "Triple IPA"). (* - When I say no burn, perhaps I mean no more than I would have wanted, and less than I expected, considering the strength of this beer!)

It reminds me a bit of Bell's Hopslam, it had a lovely aroma and slightly heavy (but very appropriately so) mouthfeel, moderate carbonation. I wish it hadn't been so long since I'd had it (a few months ago) because I can no longer accurately describe the aroma or taste but I do remember the ONLY thing I disliked about this beer was the price. I will review again next release so I can write some better descriptions.

I put 4.75 for the "look" because there was nothing about the appearance that distracted me from the other excellent qualities of the beer - I don't think the appearance could be improved for this type of beer nor do I think it's important, it simply looks like it should?

4.21/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.09/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from fridge temp to tulip. Bottled in March of this year, so it's fresh. Pours a golden orange with minimal head. Quickly dissipates. Nose is citrus and hops. Not getting much alcohol heat on the hose. Taste is quite a punch in the face. I love the hops and alcohol heat, which is definitely present on the taste. To me, this is a classic strong American barleywine. Kind of an Old Guardian on steroids. There is a sweet syrupy taste which evolves into a dark fruit (cherry) flavor. Definitely some burn on the way down. Mouthfeel is nice, although not as thick as I would have expected. Overall, a really nice beer.

4.3/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Serving: 12 oz bottle ("bottled on 03/30/17") poured into a 9 oz Libbey Embassy snifter.

Appearance: Cloudy amber gold with a short but dense, frothy head of off white foam and sparse lacing.

Smell: Pine needles, citrus zest, candied orange rind and clean alcohol - almost gin in the aroma.

Taste: Big, malty body to balance the intense hops. Honey, pine resin and deep, herbal bitterness. Warm, almost numbing alcohol kicks in after a few sips.

Mouthfeel: Full, sticky, coating feel with moderate carbonation.

Overall: Intense and boozy, but still incredibly well balanced. Shows off the piney aspect of its hops amidst a potent brew for sipping.

4.29/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

4.46/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

12 oz bottle. Super thick and syrupy as it poured! Color was like a copper/amber. Good hop & malt balance. Hot and boozy slow sipper. Good for 2 people to split a bottle if you plan on drinking other stuff that day. It wasn't my bottle. If it was, I would have aged it at least 6 months to take the boozy edge off. Overall, for the asking price, it's a beer I would buy 1 or 2 bottles of, but not go crazy trying to stock.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.21/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.93/5  rDev -0.8%

3.58/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

$ 33/four pack of 12 oz bottles ($ 0.687/oz) at Franklin Beer Co, Franklin, PA.
Bottled 04/07/17, stored at 42 degrees, served at 42 degrees in a hand washed and dried Jester King snifter.
Aroma – An almost oily smell of citrus peel and a little spruce.
Head – large (Maximum 4.5 cm, aggressive pour), off white with a yellowish cast, medium density froth, above average retention time, diminishing to an uneven five to seven mm ring of tiny to average bubbles and a complete layer of varying thicknesses.
Lacing – fair. Small pieces and drag marks of tiny bubbles.
Body – amber, hazy.
Flavor – moderately bitter and malty. Hops flavor is subdued and lacking distinct tendencies toward the usual descriptors of piney, floral, fruity, etc. The alcohol does not show in either the taste or aroma but makes its presence known in the slow gastric burn.
Palate – medium, oily, soft carbonation.

Well. IMHO overpriced and over rated. The bottle states that it ages well. Maybe I’ll stick a couple away for a year or two then revisit. At this point in time I see no reason to buy more.

Appearance 3.75, Aroma 3.75, Flavor 3.5, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.5.

3.02/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.3/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Just not a beer. I dont know what to say. It's basically like a concentrated beer. An ipa thats been left out in the sun for far too long. It's a shot of beer. I cant see how this would be enjoyable to drink.

4.64/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.28/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.73/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I had this in a chalice. The appearance was a hazy orange to brown color with a one finger white foamy head that dissipated within less than a minute. There was barely any lacing but what was there trickled and slid right into the beer. The smell started off with booze making me think I should’ve waited on this Because of the amount of booze I got from this, it took me a good three hours to consume this. As it warms, there are some nice sweet citrus fruity malts along with a super light bitterness from the hops. The taste had a long dry sweet fruity and somewhat bitter flavoring running all about my taste buds. On the palate, it kinda wrecked my taste buds with the amount of booze knocking me back into my recliner. With one month of age on this, don’t try to reckon with this one, as it’s a sipper. Overall, though the booze was strong I’m probably still willing to have again but will most likely next time age it if I ever get that chance again.

3.79/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.61/5  rDev +16.4%

Deep rich thick copper color. Extremely appealing to the eyes. The smell is of light pine that is overwhelmed with a boozy aroma. The taste is deep and the best I can explain it is warm and caramal! It's thick, oily, rich, and beyond words. Not much hop taste but thick malt. Lots of sticky raisin leftovers. For a beer of this gravity it does go down effortlessly. Not much aftertaste which is surprising.

= When I heard my local store had these in I had to try it. My highest ABV beer I've had so far. It pleasantly surprised me. Try this if you ever get a chance and consider yourself a hophead. It's something that's almost indescribable.

4.09/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery