120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Ratings: 8,235 |  Reviews: 2,343
4.2/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: dark amber with orange hues. Very light head and light carbonation.
A: very reasonpis with pine and earthy components. Raisin and toasted malts. Some mild citrus. Sweet sent
F: barley wine? Very reasonoit and lots of pine cone. Some mild citrus and lots of fog and raisin very malty for an IPA. Good bitterness and well balanced with bold malt backbone. Somewhat dank. Maybe a little orange toffee candy like.
M: finishes a little sweet with lingering bitterness. Bold and somewhat big body. Mild carbonation but fitting.
O: very good as a barley wine and ok as an IPA. Emjoyes this one and really like the flavor mix. Just not true to an IPA. Big pine and orange toffee.

4.21/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Drank this beer as part of a tasting. Been hanging on to this bottle for almost 3 year (2014 edition I believe).

Pours thick and pretty much transparent dark yellow. Lots of sediment, I'm sure from both the aging process and the amount of hops. Aroma and taste still pretty hot after all this time. Still got hops in the taste. Very big bold flavors of booze, citrus hops, bitter, spices. Nothing complex. A unique beer. Good one to share.

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Staring at a chilled, full bottle, gotta admit, I'm mildy apprehensive about this one. Could it be that I'm a few (okay more than a few) beers in? Maybe. Could it be that this is a beast of a beer? More likely. Could it be that I'm afraid that this will be a boring hop bomb with no real depth and nothing new to offer??? Yeah that's kinda what it is, but fuck this. I'm going to review it anyway, because cool cat loves me.

A: pours a lovely, amber reddish orange, hazy with a quickly dissipating sheet of white foam that quickly becomes a ring, has pleasant lacing as well. In short, nice.
S: sharp malt and earthy, resinous hop aroma abounds! Though I didn't really have to lean into this one to take a whiff, I did, because I'm nothing if not thorough. Clean and sticky pine note, what seems to be citrus (orange specifically). It immediately seems like (shocker, I know) a ramped up version of 90 minute. It's extremely peppery, and almost meaty. It does have those barleywine characteristics everyone mentions which totally makes sense. I feel like someone shoved my nose into a tree and I love it! Pungent and woody (maybe some bergamot)!
T: Okay...drumroll...seems good so far...here goes nothin'...where the fuck are the hops??? It's bitter...a little, but my immediate impression is roasty, with a subtly warm alcohol bite. This is toasty, roasty, and, yes, I know, incredibly sweet. Unfortunately I don't see any date code on the bottle, but I find 90 minute to have more bite than this. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those guys obsessed over IBUs, they have their place, but this needs more to fit it's malt body. It is far too sweet. But, onward and upward. There is bergamot (orange), there is toastiness and roastiness, there is sweetness and there is woodiness, some berry notes as well. There is a delayed but warm alcohol finish, that is more like a liquor than even a fortified wine, like liquor specifically, which is fairly pleasant honestly. The more I drink this, the more it reminds me of earl grey tea, the bergamot really comes through. (side note: the alcohol is impressively well masked in this one)
M: Sticky and incredibly full
O: I'm not sure how old the bottle I have is unfortunately. I got it in NYC in the last two months. That being said, 120 IBUs my ass, either A) No, it's not, or B) it's not enough for the malt, but the only beer that I have had that was memorably sweeter than this was Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw and it was borderline undrinkable. There's a good beer in here, the malt body is wonderfully built and the hops chosen seem to add a good character to the beer, but for me...first of all based on expectation, and second of all based on pure taste, this beer needed more bitterness to make it work. The sweetness here borders on cloying, and it's frustrating, because other than that, it's good, but if that were resolved, it would be great. In summation...ehh...I dunno. Reminds me of Samichlaus in that it is... ... ... ..disappointing. 3.9 as an avg is fucking generous. I love you Icarus, I mean, Dogfish head.

(PS: this beer is so strong, I decided to head it off at the pass about mid way through with a bag of fritos, which unfortunately adds a touch of rubbing alcohol to the flavor)

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A beer to sip, not gulp. Feel is heavy and syrupy. Flavor not what I expected based on experience with 60 minute IPA and 90 Minute IPA from same brewery. The first two times I had this were on tap at The Beer Trappe, which served 120 Minute IPA in 6 oz pours into a snifter. The third time I bought a 12 oz bottle. Flavor hard to describe, except by analogy: as a very peaty scotch is to peat flavor, so is 120 Minute IPA to hoppiness. I found that if I took two sips in a row I didn't like the flavor much of the second sip, but if I took my time then each sip was a treat. I made a 6 oz portion last about a full hour sipping this way, And it's good that the pleasure can be stretched out like that because at $10.50 a bottle I won't be knocking these back very often.

3.67/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Heard a lot about it, mostly because of its high alcohol content and finally scooped one up. Super glad I tried it but was overwhelmed by the taste of straight booze. Once was enuff. PS. About two thirds of sucking up the beer I lost my sense of my body.

4.41/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.56/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1.75/5  rDev -57.4%

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Heard about it and tried one. It had excellent flavor; however, you will want to drink it slowly; and you will want another. Excellent IPA & worth it.

3.83/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

12oz bottle dated 4/7/17-- so only about 3 months on it.

Pours a medium amber color with a 1 finger head with great retention. Extremely cloudy, can't see through the glass.

Aroma is very interesting. There is some booze, lots of hops, caramel, and malts. Has a slight bourbon like character in my opinion. It smells very potent in an unusual way. Not straight hops, not straight booze, somewhere in the middle...

Taste is hops and loads more malts than expected. Very sugary and caramel-like. Definitely notice the booze but the other flavors are not hidden by it. Not overly hoppy. Slightly bitter but sweetness comes through more strongly.

Feel is heavy and syrupy. Creamy and thick, slightly cloying. Definite alcohol warming.

Overall an extremely unique beer. I have never had anything like it. I agree with other reviewers that it contains some American Barley wine qualities but I definitely wouldn't classify it as one. No this beer is a beast of its own. Definitely worth trying.

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

3.62/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.84/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.18/5  rDev +1.7%

1.59/5  rDev -61.3%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A friend of mine came in from Cleveland looking for a quick and fancy drunk one night. He grabbed a four pack of this and said it was the most rancid thing to cross his lips. The other three bottles are mine.

Look - Almost a brownish golden hue with a minimal head. Carbonation is low. No lace or stick.

Smell - Wet catty hops and alcohol. Like there was virtually no attempt to hide the alcohol here. At all.

Taste - Only 18% you say? Tastes like rubbing alcohol with some cat piss mixed into the bunch from the hops used.

Feel - Thick and burning. Swallows rough and astringent.

Overall - Usually DFH makes some great beers. I always wanted to try this but the day my local craft shop received it a man came in and offered $350 for a single case in order to bypass the one bottle limit. What a fucking idiot. Glad this was given to me. Not quite sure what gimmick DFH is trying to pull but I've had TRIPAS near this ABV that were a thousand times better. Guess I can pawn off the remaining bottles to my neighbor. Terrible.

4.16/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

If you go into this thinking IPA you'll think it's kinda disgusting. If you go in thinking barleywine it'll hit the spot. Super thick and heavy, intense flavor, hops and whiskey.

4.09/5  rDev -0.5%

2.89/5  rDev -29.7%

Pours a dark orange into a fifteen ounce straight wall mug at the same temperature as the beer. Half finger off white head that dissipates rapidly. Legs. Hazy to opaque. Very little lacing.

First smell is whiskey. Had the wife to check my breath and she says pure whiskey. Maybe some caramel malts. Some citrus hops.

Taste mimics the nose. Whiskey burn fades into plain alcohol heat. This brew has way to much alcohol. Some citrus hops make it through the alcohol burn.

Full sticky mouthfeel with good carbonation.

Overall I couldn't get past the boozy smell and alcohol flavor. They bury the nose and the palate. I sense a good beer underneath. Just to much of a good thing. The 90 Minute IPA wins hands down.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery