120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Ratings: 8,118 |  Reviews: 2,296
3.88/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Man, this is a dangerous beer. Does not taste like the ABV that it is. A musty orange color, it has the mature flavor of malt tipped with a small bit of hops.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

The bottle I opened was 4 years old and I paid $20.00 at a charity event. My first thought was I just paid $20.00 and my second thought was it is a 4 year old IPA. Now tradition says an IPA needs to be had fresh. So I was not expecting much. Poured into a 12 ounce tulip glass at cellar temp. First impression - it smelled great. Darkish amberish that lets plenty of light through and it is cloudy. Good head that dissipated with no lacing. No idea of ABV but it can be described as a sweet well balanced old IPA with a pleasurable boozy taste that I enjoy. I never would had believed it was 4 years old. I love it. Time for a nap. It's a great beer. Gonna pony up next time it comes around and cellar it for a long time. it is obvious to me that whomever stored it knew what they were doing.

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I have tried this beer twice. The first time was a bottle that was a few days old, the second was a bottle that had been aged for 18 months. This review is for the second beer that was aged.

Look: Hazy orange with small off-white head that persists. Lacing is moderate.
Smell: Toffee with a sweet booze undertone. Slight citrus scent as well. With aging the booze scent mellows out.
Taste: Caramel/vanilla cream flavor followed quickly by a bit of an alcohol bite/burn. However, the alcohol taste is more refined than a fresh 120 and carries a gentle, slightly pleasant burn. Malt flavor comes through after swallowing and lingers on the tongue for a bit, but the booze taste can drown this out if you take too big of a sip.
Feel: Very creamy and full-bodied. Possibly the best mouthfeel of a beer I've ever had. Carbonation is moderate.
Overall: This beer is worth buying, but you should definitely age this beer for at least a year before drinking. An unaged 120 is harsh and the alcohol masks the subtle creamy flavors of this brew.

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Side by side tasting of 2008 and 2016. The aged version was unbelievable. More viscosity and syrup like. Fresh beer was more floral.

4.95/5  rDev +25%

I'd say this is my hands down favorite beer. Some background on this review, only a few years ago I would only drink things like Coors Light, Rolling Rock, lighter beers, I enjoyed stouts as well, was the only unique beer I could drink, they had to be a non-coffee stout though, Guinness for example... I then moved on to a Cider kick and still do enjoy ciders especially anything from McKenzies. Then I saw this beer one night at a bar, had a buzz on and my buddy said he would give me a ride home and as a dumb drunk decision I chose the bars highest ABV beer they had.

And I was absolutely blown away by the taste, it didn't even taste like an IPA, this beer started my craving for all sorts of other IPAs and now I can drink American styled IPAs as long as they aren't super hoppy, this "IPA" as I like to describe it, is amazing, hands down my favorite beer.

It's hard to find but a local beer distributor near me is able to get it frequently now, $180 for a case, or I can wait in line with others in my local town for $150 cases at a different distributor. He will even hold one back for me since we have a mutual friend.

If you come across this beer, and it's not over $12, I HIGHLY recommend it, or if you haven't had them in awhile I would pay anywhere from $15-18 highly depending on location and how long it's been. My local distributor charges $36 for a FOUR pack, $180 for a case.

It's expensive BUT what I do as well, I buy a case, I drink 12 of them whenever I want to have one, and I am letting the others ferment in segments, 1 year, 2 year, 3 years, 4 years, 3 for each segment. I just started this journey of segmenting them but I am super stoked for November 12th 2017 for that 1 year mark for that 3 pack segment :-).

3.96/5  rDev 0%

4.21/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.53/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's all about the hops with this delicious brew. This is not, chemical, harsh, in your face hops. This is smooth, sweet, piney, balanced, delicious hops. It may be a little one note for some but that not the point here. The point is to showcase hops like no other beer. I would drink this again and again and again. The high ABV is very tolerable and balanced but I recommend sharing with a friend - it's what god beers are made for anyway.

3.63/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.5

4.48/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.91/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.66/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look - a nice hazy golden orange with a small off-white head and decent lacing.
Smell - nice aroma on this one: citrus, toffee, molasses, and booze.
Taste - citrusy hops, caramel and breads malts, and booze.
Feel - decent carbonation, full body, smooth finish.

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Is it a perfect IPA? Maybe, but I'll hold out hope that something even better is out there. I've got a case of 24 that has aged for over a year now and it's still fantastic/ getting better.

2.69/5  rDev -32.1%

3.85/5  rDev -2.8%

Intense

4.45/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've had this beer (ha) on three or four occasions, but I could never catch it in-stores. Quite the experience. Sophisticated, intermingling tropical fruits, earthen tones, and herbs do a phenomenal job of masking the potent ABV. You will know it's their without a doubt, but once you begin to acclimate it's rather inviting. It's not even comparable to the Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA. I don't know when it will be but I look forward to catching it again.

4.19/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.06/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottled 4/12/16, I think. It's a little hard to read, maybe 6/12/16.
Either 9 or 7 months in the bottle.
L. Murky orange to light brown with a short 1/2 cm head which recedes very slowly.
S. Big toffee and booze, more booze, then bitter citrus if get your nose in there, orange, lemon, grapefruit.
T. Oh yeah. Big sweetness, big bitterness, nice balance on the first sip. Second sip has me thinking of cough medicine. Third sip is bitter orange marmalade. My taste buds need to get dialed in to these big flavors and abv. Toffee and citrus seem most prevalent. As it warms there's caramel, spicy and sweet lemon, orange, brandy-soaked caramel apple. Aftertaste is the same with a little mouthwash in there.
F. Full mouthfeel, smooth, sticky. Warming but not really drying in the aftertaste.
O. The high abv didn't "burn," but had a flavor that was slightly off-putting, but a little age may change that. Would I buy a bottle again? Absolutely. Cheers!

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery