120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Ratings: 8,124 |  Reviews: 2,298
4.95/5  rDev +24.7%

I'd say this is my hands down favorite beer. Some background on this review, only a few years ago I would only drink things like Coors Light, Rolling Rock, lighter beers, I enjoyed stouts as well, was the only unique beer I could drink, they had to be a non-coffee stout though, Guinness for example... I then moved on to a Cider kick and still do enjoy ciders especially anything from McKenzies. Then I saw this beer one night at a bar, had a buzz on and my buddy said he would give me a ride home and as a dumb drunk decision I chose the bars highest ABV beer they had.

And I was absolutely blown away by the taste, it didn't even taste like an IPA, this beer started my craving for all sorts of other IPAs and now I can drink American styled IPAs as long as they aren't super hoppy, this "IPA" as I like to describe it, is amazing, hands down my favorite beer.

It's hard to find but a local beer distributor near me is able to get it frequently now, $180 for a case, or I can wait in line with others in my local town for $150 cases at a different distributor. He will even hold one back for me since we have a mutual friend.

If you come across this beer, and it's not over $12, I HIGHLY recommend it, or if you haven't had them in awhile I would pay anywhere from $15-18 highly depending on location and how long it's been. My local distributor charges $36 for a FOUR pack, $180 for a case.

It's expensive BUT what I do as well, I buy a case, I drink 12 of them whenever I want to have one, and I am letting the others ferment in segments, 1 year, 2 year, 3 years, 4 years, 3 for each segment. I just started this journey of segmenting them but I am super stoked for November 12th 2017 for that 1 year mark for that 3 pack segment :-).

3.96/5  rDev -0.3%

4.21/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.53/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's all about the hops with this delicious brew. This is not, chemical, harsh, in your face hops. This is smooth, sweet, piney, balanced, delicious hops. It may be a little one note for some but that not the point here. The point is to showcase hops like no other beer. I would drink this again and again and again. The high ABV is very tolerable and balanced but I recommend sharing with a friend - it's what god beers are made for anyway.

3.63/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.5

4.48/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.91/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.66/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look - a nice hazy golden orange with a small off-white head and decent lacing.
Smell - nice aroma on this one: citrus, toffee, molasses, and booze.
Taste - citrusy hops, caramel and breads malts, and booze.
Feel - decent carbonation, full body, smooth finish.

4.57/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Is it a perfect IPA? Maybe, but I'll hold out hope that something even better is out there. I've got a case of 24 that has aged for over a year now and it's still fantastic/ getting better.

2.69/5  rDev -32.2%

3.85/5  rDev -3%

Intense

4.45/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've had this beer (ha) on three or four occasions, but I could never catch it in-stores. Quite the experience. Sophisticated, intermingling tropical fruits, earthen tones, and herbs do a phenomenal job of masking the potent ABV. You will know it's their without a doubt, but once you begin to acclimate it's rather inviting. It's not even comparable to the Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA. I don't know when it will be but I look forward to catching it again.

4.19/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.06/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottled 4/12/16, I think. It's a little hard to read, maybe 6/12/16.
Either 9 or 7 months in the bottle.
L. Murky orange to light brown with a short 1/2 cm head which recedes very slowly.
S. Big toffee and booze, more booze, then bitter citrus if get your nose in there, orange, lemon, grapefruit.
T. Oh yeah. Big sweetness, big bitterness, nice balance on the first sip. Second sip has me thinking of cough medicine. Third sip is bitter orange marmalade. My taste buds need to get dialed in to these big flavors and abv. Toffee and citrus seem most prevalent. As it warms there's caramel, spicy and sweet lemon, orange, brandy-soaked caramel apple. Aftertaste is the same with a little mouthwash in there.
F. Full mouthfeel, smooth, sticky. Warming but not really drying in the aftertaste.
O. The high abv didn't "burn," but had a flavor that was slightly off-putting, but a little age may change that. Would I buy a bottle again? Absolutely. Cheers!

4.53/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.9/5  rDev +23.4%

By far the best IPA I have ever had.

4.43/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.58/5  rDev -9.8%

Very hard to rate this beer. On this snowy winter night, I poured the 120 into a pint glass & let it breathe for 10 minutes. Very cloudy with a medium head which thinned out over the 10 minutes. The first sip was like a blinding shot of bourbon - lots of alcohol heat and malty burnt butterscotch. At this point, I'm thinking I wasted $11 on the bottle (well, ~$90 on the two 4-packs). Halfway through, it had a whole different feel, much smoother and tastier - the burnt taste turned to pleasant piney citrus. And I liked it. Definitely a beer you only of which you have one or two at a time, not one to pound at a party. Gotta have another...but not until next weekend.

4.4/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.02/5  rDev +1.3%

On tap in a snifter at a local WOB. Thick creamy but short lived head atop a golden yellow body, good lacing. Boozy smell and taste. Butterscotch notes and some fruitiness. Nice beer for an occasional something different.

3.23/5  rDev -18.6%

3.77/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

120 ipa . . . Been sitting on this bottle since 2012.

Gotta admit, this beer has a very lovely look to it. Appearance is deep candy colored burnt orange. Thin head if at all. Aromas are almost barleywine like with a subdued hoppy nose. Caramel, molasses, leather . . . I honestly wouldn't think much about the aromas if I thought this was a newly bottled ipa. However, I know this is 4 years old so I'll have to take that into consideration.
Here we go . . . 2 quick small sips reveal a mature American barleywine flavor profile similar to Bigfoot or Old Stock. I actually think this beer is more reminiscent of an old ale than a barleywine which is what I was expecting. The hops are still present though not as dominant as though definitely were 4 years ago. Thin sweet, candy layers are upfront and a tangy alcohol finish on the end. Feel again is reminiscent of and old ale or American take on a barleywine. Sticky, thin, sugary and malty flavors and feel. This beer is hard to pin point on style and feel. I like this a lot . . . It's a big beer and not just because of the abv %. I'll be sipping this for the next hour at least. Overall, excellent beer . . . I personally wouldn't consider this an ipa but perhaps more of an American Barlywine or even an over the top example of an English Old Ale.
In closing . . . . If you like complex beers and perhaps want to over think things (nothing wrong with that) grab a bottle of this.

4.35/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery