120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,245 | Ratings: 7,973
4.49/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Have had this many times both on draft and by this bottle. THis is without a doubt an extreme brew. I think of it as the port of beers. Big Alcohol and Sugary hops up front, tropical and dark fruits as it warms. Very rich mouthfeel, similar to high end BW's. Taste is toffee, maple coated hops, figs, and booze. I feel it gets even better with age. Drink this bad boy over and evening and smell and taste the wonderful change as it warms.

4.49/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. The beer is a murky bronze color with a dense, white foam head that retains well and leaves decent lace. It's aroma is a bright, juicy orange / tangerine note with floral hints and a resinous woody undertone. As it warms up caramel starts to poke through with cloves and a hint of acetone. It's highly citrus bittersweet that both compliments and counteracts each other (not necessarily balanced), with perhaps a touch more sweet than bitter. The beer is viscous and creamy with a soft fuzzy carbonation. The full body is woody and citrus with a pine grit and alcohol on the tongue. The finish is warm (vodka or strong bourbon) with spicy clove and woody notes and a clean, vodka-alcohol aftertaste that's dry and astringent.

4.49/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Stamp on bottle says 'Bottled on 02/15/13', which makes is just shy of 3 months old.

Appearance: Pours a copper/deep amber and leaves about a half finger of off-white head.

Smell: Surprisingly light smell - concentrated citrusy hops, malts, and I detect a hint of raspberry. Definitely different aromas then any beer I've had.

Taste: Matches the smell, but everything is more pronounced. Very sweet, especially for an "IPA". I still get the raspberry flavor along with the malts and citrusy hops, as well as some mild alcohol. Also some other fruit flavors including apricot, peaches and figs. The finish of this one is plenty of hops, counteracting the sweet start - very interesting and complex.

Mouth-feel: Thick and syrupy - there is definitely still some carbonation in here but not a whole lot. The alcohol is well hidden for such a monster at 18%, and it goes down pretty smooth.

Overall: A unique beer for sure. While this beer has characteristics of an IPA such as the bitter hop finish and citrus notes, it also takes notes from other styles such as the thickness and mouth-feel of an imperial stout, as well as flavor notes from several other different styles. This is definitely the sweetest IPA I have ever had, but all being said this was an extremely enjoyable drink experience and I can't recommend it enough. Obviously, this beer is one to tread carefully with, as it packs a punch.

4.49/5  rDev +13.4%

I waited for about 4 years to try this beer. Because of living arrangements, I was never in a state that carries it. I found this in Texas, and was extremely happy. The 90 minute IPA is my beer of choice. After having this, that has not changed. The biggest surprise from this beer is the sweetness. It is sweet like the Three Philosophers is sweet, with an IPA finish. Very interesting beer. Very tasty. I drank an entire 12 oz bottle to myself over a two hour period. I have three more that I am keeping for enjoyment at different times. Going to hold one for at least couple of years.

4.49/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter. Bottled on 10/10/07, so this bottle isn't particularly old.

A: Pours a hazy orange with a small, short lived head. Even an aggressive pour didn't develop much more than half a finger of head.

S: Very intensely sweet and fruity. Lots of grapefruit as well. Smells very much like a Port or Tokay wine. Perfect!

T: Not what you'd think when the bottle says Imperial IPA. Not much hoppiness, mostly malty sweetness. Very tasty!

MF: Well carbonated and smooth. Feels viscous and thick, a little syrupy.

D: Surprisingly drinkable for the extreme ABV. Of course, once you finish the 12oz bottle you can really feel it!

Bottom line, this is not what I'd call and Imperial IPA, but whatever it is I love it!

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a Dogfish Head Snifter in honor of my new baby girl born on Tuesday September 27th @ 6:28am.

Color: A mid-light brown (honey) color.

Smell: Hoppy and an alcohol presence.

Taste: Sweet, hoppy and a bit of alcohol. The sweetness almost takes away all the alcohol I smelled. VERY GOOD!

Mouthfeel: Smooth with a nice alcohol presence.

Overall: I opened this brew in celebration of my second Daughter Ella Monika! This brew was actually sweet which I was not expecting but loved. A very hyped and brew which went above and beyond my expectations. It's a celebration! Cheers!

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Love this beer. Especially when aged for years. Just did a side by side tasting of an 08 vs 14. Completely different beers. The 08 was a beautiful dark amber. Time had done incredible things to it.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from the tap (May 2007 release) the liquid is a light rubby with good carbonation.

The smell is both fruity sweet and quite hoppy.

The taste is very good, bets batch ever! Lots of malt beating back huge amounts of hops. This may be more like a barley wine with all the complex malt taste going on, the hops must be huge to compete the way they do.

The mouthfeel is rich and thick, with good cleansing carbonation.

The drinkability of this batch is great, Prosit MK

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

18% etoh! 120 IBU's! This is a beer to be enjoyed, not chugged! This is a special beer to be shared and savored like Sam Adams Utopia. The 2 are very similar except 120 is carbonated. A very heavy beer. This beer is one of my favs to start the night out with! Every year I stay at the Crosswinds Motel, right next to the Dogfish brewery/flagship store in DE, just to get my Dogfish fill!

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

12 ounce bottle with a bottled on date of 3/30/2006. Served in a Dogfish Head snifter, the 120 Minute IPA pours an amber/red color with a very small white head. It smells like citrus and pine hops, caramel and a bit of brandy. The taste starts off very sweet and finishes slightly bitter. I can taste hops (both pine and citrus), caramel, apricots, brandy, and some spices. The alcohol is very well hidden considering it's 21% ABV, and it does pack a punch later. Mouthfeel is full, syrupy and oily. Drinkability is good, although this is definitely a sipping beer. It's nice and smooth and easy to drink. Overall I think this is a well balanced brew. It wasn't quite what I was expecting but in this case it's a good thing. If you get the chance to try one, you should. It's a very good beer.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a hazy orange copper with a two finger head that dissipates slowly and leaves but a thin coat of foam.

Nose of most evident piney hops.

Amazing taste, very complex; much like a barleywine. Alcohol is extremely well hidden.

Mouthfeel is smooth and thick, coats the mouth.

Good sipping drinkability, definitely not a session beer.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

I am in love, what can I say, hops juice, hoppy beer, hophead's beer, well there was enough hops in one sip to hops all of Coors Light's decade production and even if it was extreme, I did like alot. The bottle was bottled three months ago and considering the amount of hops and alcohol content, it was quite fresh.

Burgundy in color, with a foamy head that came out to say "hey" and dissapeared right away. Shy striking golden lights all around the beer, not bad.

Smell is well guess what: hoppy, did I mention hops a billion times so far. It is floral, piney, grassy, name it, I love it.

Taste is citroneus, malty, rich malted caramel flavours followed by a floral big rich hoppy flavours.

wonderfull bring, when the 240min IPA

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Had the 2012 and 2014 batches on tap at The Shepherd and the Knucklehead in Haledon, NJ. Poured in a Dogfish Head goblet. Beers were similar enough that I'll use one review.

A = Crystal clear with a golden orange hue. Head was not appropriate, but faded fairly quickly (due to high alcohol content?). Decent lacing.

S = We had a hard time placing the smell. Sort of a syrupy alcohol aroma - can definitely smell the booziness of this. Another reviewer said "rum soaked bread" - that might be a good description.

T = Balanced (not just a mouthful of hops). Some of that alcohol syrup taste comes through - just a very complex balance of flavors: citrus, hops, alcohol, etc. Wow.

M = Just slightly bitter feel to it and that lingering taste that tells you that you just had a very high ABV beer.

O = A very special beer for very special occasions. Certainly will go much better on a cool Autumn or cold Winter night (yet I keep drinking them in July/August).

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

You need to drink this beer knowing hat it's probably close to twice as high of an ABV as your typical imperial. Knowing that, you go into it knowing that there will be an alcohol presence in every sip. I drank this one over the course of about an hour or more and by the end as it warmed it mellowed quite a bit. I enjoyed this one for sure.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This is one of the best big beers I have ever had. It comes off very strong like a barley wine, but then you feel the tingle of the hops on your tounge. This beer was a nice amber and the foamy head stuck around and left a nice lace on the glass. The smell was blissful. The taste was a deep round big beer flavor with an aftertaste of firey hops. Before you know it you can feel your tongue going numb. I could definately drink these on a regular basis however I paid $8.99 for a 12oz bottle and it is not available where I live so lucky for me I won't be going broke any time soon. However the next time I am out and about and I run across this sucker I may buy the entire stock. I highly suggest and congrats to those who have had the opportunity to enjoy. This is definately for the experienced beer drinker.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

big thanks to crwills for hooking me up with this one. anyone who goes shopping with a copy of your 'wants' list is great. thanks craig!

12oz bottle dated 12/18/06.

pours deep amber, almost red, with a half inch of dense tan head. the head drops fairly quick but leaves lots of sticky lace behind.

aroma is great. the glass is sitting on the table about 3 feet away and i can smell grapefruit and alcohol. up close the alcohol is fairly intense. tons of grapefruit and a bit of pine. burnt toffee and sweet caramel.

wow. taste is intense. blast of alchol, then sharp piney bitterness. the bitterness level actually doesn't seem too high, but that could be the high alcohol numbing my tongue and taste buds. orange and tangerine, with a nice sweetness that isn't the least bit syrupy. the alcohol is pure and clean too - no nasty fusels. sherry and port-like notes. there's some bready malt buried in there too.

mouthfeel is great. i didn't expect much carbonation from a brew this big, but it's got a nice moderate carbonation level. great body.

drinkability is suprisingly good. it's definitely more of a sipper at this strength, but damn is it good. sort of balanced. i could actually see a few more IBUs in here. good sweetness and lots of alcohol.

obviously this beer is over the top, but i'm pleasantly suprised at how good it is. the bottle says it ages well, so i'd be curious to try one that has some age on it. damn good even fresh.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

This beer pours a clear red-orange color. The head is a half an inch in height, and recedes slowly into a quarter inch of lacing. Due to the extremely high alcohol content I was expecting the head to be minimal at best, and am very pleasantly surprised. The aroma is very hoppy with lots of pine and citrus. There is a lot of malt too, but it is soft and easily takes a back seat to the hops. The alcohol is present in the terms of adding a slight cough syrup note. It is, however, a lot more subdued than I expected, and I like that. The taste has a bite...wow. There is more malt here with an almost mead like honey character. The citrus, and pine from the aroma are present, but the malt masks the bitterness which I'm sure is in there somewhere. The mouthfeel is full bodied with appropriately low carbonation, and a silky texture. Overall, this is a very interesting beer, and huge kudos go out to DFH for dreaming it up. I certainly couldn't drink this every day, or even every month. But I'm could picture myself sipping this down two or three times a year, and thoroughly enjoying it.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

This one is excellent when on draft and fresh. It's tough to beat, IMO. Lots going on; pine, citrus, sweetness, slight booziness, oak, strong crispness and bite ... it's very complex.

I've enjoyed it from the bottle, too, but haven't tried it that way as many times as I have on draft. One of the drawbacks, IMO, is that the bottles don't have a date on them, so it's tough to tell when they were made. I'd like to be able to distinguish them. I've tried a few bottles that had some age (1-3 years?) on them, but I didn't find them to be as memorable as the excellent drafts that I've had.

One of my favorites, but not something I could drink a ton of or regularly. For me, it's a good one to have a handful of times/year. 4.25-4.5 (though if you can get it on draft, you might be inclined to give this a full 5 stars, as I recently did on Untappd).

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

I loved the smell of this beer. kind of like a dessert wine or brandy. The taste was a little weaker than the alcohol but i thought was outstanding. I wouldn't drink more that one but this is definitely a beer i would spend the money for. If you like the higher abv beers than this one is a dessert beer.

Thanks Tim!

This poured orange with golden highlights, and a thin white head. To my eyes this was glowing. Brilliant colour.

The aroma was of huge juicy grapefruit, pineapple, mangos, kiwi's, tropical, some pine notes, a great balance of caramel from the malt. The alcohol brings out light apricot notes, and the bread like notes are very mild. The bouquet just kind of sparkles on the nose.

This is full of flavour. Complex but surprisingly balanced due to the extreme nature of this beer. Caramel up front, a good sweet quickly pushed over by a lovely hop flavour. Big american cirtus c-hops. The apricot is a nice sublet note that stays amongst most sips. It's a glass full of citrus rinds, pine needles, and a nice finishing sweetness. Beautiful.

This is a silky, full bodied beer, with low to moderate carbonation. It just fills the palate with amazing flavours and a nice finish with not too many residual sugars. Dry, but not too dry.

Very dangerous to drink, as it is beyond drinkable for the alcohol percentage.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

This pours a hazy copper color with a slight head. The aroma is good and bold with hops but nothing over the top like you might imagine with this beer. The taste is big and bold with decent amount of sweetness from the alcohol content and no where near as hoppy as I would have thought. Really flavorful and well made.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

7/22/11 bottle Poured into a Great Lakes snifter. Appearance is beautiful, little to no head, but an awesome copper color. Very strong alcohol presence, but extremely inviting. Not as much citrus and floral notes as 90 Minute, but this is a totally different beer. The taste is sweet, syrupy, hints of carmel. Tons of sugar, aging would tame it a bit. Mouthfeel is thick and sticky, great carbonation in my opinion. Overall, this is my first 120, so anything was possible. The hype is there, try this one with caution.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

First, I love this "beer". Had to have it sent Fedex to my house. Ohio has beer laws that prevent it's availability in the market. Thank You New Jersey!! It's a beautiful orange-ish, cloudy ale with a thick tan head, (kinda like me). The smell is citrus and malt. Lots and lots of malt. Taste is instant hops and alcohol. So much alcohol that I haven't been able to drink 2 in an evening, at home, of course. Great to split with a couple friends, but the drinkability is very tough. Every Hop Head should try it once...OK twice

Had this one on-tap at The Yard House (Las Vegas) 10 Jun 2014

Pours a nice clear/clean golden orange color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger plus creamy off-white head, nice islands and sticky lacing afterwards. The nose is sweet, malty, hoppy, some dark fruit, maybe some caramel. The taste is pretty sweet, malty, nice hoppy effect, some kinda dark fruit going on. Nice sweet after taste with a nice alcohol warming effect in the body. Medium body. Very drinkable, definitely a sipper, I like this one, way to go DFH. I'm glad I had a chance to try this on-tap, way different than the bottle version.

Thanks goes out to Faro for this brew.

12oz. Bottle On 03/29/06

Pours a nice clear/clean golden orange color, nice carbonation, nice small one-finger creamy off-white head, nice islands and sticky lacing afterwards. The nose is sweet, malty, hoppy, some dark fruit, maybe some caramel. The taste is pretty sweet, malty, nice hoppy effect, some kinda dark fruit going on. Nice sweet after taste with a nice alcohol warming effect in the body. Medium body. Very drinkable, definitely a sipper, I like this one, way to go DFH. I'm glad I have another bottle that I bought.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a beautiful hazy honey color with a nice taut head that fades to a ring.

This beer has a delectable nose of caramel, orange peel, a slight hop spiciness, and some brandyish boozy smell.

This is a sweet treat with a long finish. Just as much a treat for malt heads as hop heads, and probably more so. Very sweet, perfect for an after dinner quaffer.
Spicy with hops and coriander up front, then a long, long malt bomb with very nuanced flavors of dried apricots and cherries, spice, and honey. This is followed by a long finish of honey spiked piney hops. Delicious now, but this would be absolutely extraordinary with some serious age on it. There is the slightest soy note that dissipates as it breathes.

The mouthfeel is very thick and rich with good carbonation throughout, something that I miss dearly in certain other over the top abv brews.

Drinkability is very good for its style- and after dinner sipper that is quite addictive.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery