120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Ratings: 8,201 |  Reviews: 2,328
3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

3.76/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a hazy golden orange color with a tight, white head that leaves little bits of lacing.

Smells of big hop notes, caramel malts, and plenty of booze.

Tastes of the big hops and malts. Hops lead off with citrus and pine notes with a decent amount of bitterness. Malts come next and add caramel, toasted bread, and fairly sweet giving an orange feel to the middle. Leans more towards the sweet end of the spectrum. Booze is present, but not overbearing.

Mouthfeel is full with a smooth amount of carbonation.

Overall, this is good, but the booze is too prevalent and could use some aging.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.76/5  rDev -5.1%

Presentation: 2011 vintage 12 oz. bottle poured into a Cigar City tulip.

Appearance: Golden amber in color with not much head, but a bit of white lacing that hangs around for a bit. Ample carbonation on the pour.

Aroma: Pine, citrus, and pineapple upfront in the nose. A bit of vanilla and caramel. The malt presence is a bit stronger than I expected. A lot of booze burn, but that is not surprising considering the ABV and age.

Taste: Hop notes of pine and tropical fruits upfront. Very sweet overall. The booze makes this a beer for sipping for sure. The caramel, vanilla, and molasses are completely different from most beers. Interesting for sure.

Mouthfeel: Thick and syrupy, a nice touch of carbonation in there to stay light on the tongue.

Overall, a completely different and interesting interpretation of an IPA. A bit too boozy at this age. I would love to see how this evolves over time.

3.76/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased June 2006 and allowed to settle and age for a few months.

Starts off looking good, even though the head is a little thick. Amber to burnt orange colour. Very vibrant, almost like some Belgians I've seen.

Smell is off for an IPA, especially a DIPA. Hoppy, but not bitter and not too hoppy. Malt presence. However, the scent I pick up most is a blend of alcohol and candy sugar with a hint of spice, almost like a tripel.

Well balanced taste. Very hoppy with definite bitterness, but this is countered but a big blast of malts. Very sweet, almost syrupy. Again, I can taste candy sugar. This is almost like a Belgian-style DIPA. Very noticeable alcohol profile.

Decent mouthfeel. Thick, maybe undercarbonated but not unpleasant. Alcohol burn is somewhat distracting.

Okay, its good, tasty and I would buy it again...maybe even age it a few years. But it is not so drinkable...you can really feel the alcohol in this one. And at 20% (my bottle is 20%, not 21%), to think you wouldn't notice the alcohol is just silly.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Apearance - Pours a hazy golden orange with very little head. Very little carbonation as is usual from these high abv beers.

Nose- Oranges, faint floral hop aroma, burnt sugar?

Palate- Much sweeter than expected. Hops are present, but not what you would expect from a 120 ibu beer. Personally I think it could use a bit more bitterness. The orange flavors carry though to palate, combined with the alcohol it reminds me of a fine orange liquor. Alcohol is present but hidden well.

Mouthfeel- Thick, syrupy

Drinkability- I thought one would be my limit, but as I near the bottom of the glass, the hops start to shine through a bit more, making me want another.

Overall- an interesting brew, but definitely not an everyday kind of beer.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

120 ipa . . . Been sitting on this bottle since 2012.

Gotta admit, this beer has a very lovely look to it. Appearance is deep candy colored burnt orange. Thin head if at all. Aromas are almost barleywine like with a subdued hoppy nose. Caramel, molasses, leather . . . I honestly wouldn't think much about the aromas if I thought this was a newly bottled ipa. However, I know this is 4 years old so I'll have to take that into consideration.
Here we go . . . 2 quick small sips reveal a mature American barleywine flavor profile similar to Bigfoot or Old Stock. I actually think this beer is more reminiscent of an old ale than a barleywine which is what I was expecting. The hops are still present though not as dominant as though definitely were 4 years ago. Thin sweet, candy layers are upfront and a tangy alcohol finish on the end. Feel again is reminiscent of and old ale or American take on a barleywine. Sticky, thin, sugary and malty flavors and feel. This beer is hard to pin point on style and feel. I like this a lot . . . It's a big beer and not just because of the abv %. I'll be sipping this for the next hour at least. Overall, excellent beer . . . I personally wouldn't consider this an ipa but perhaps more of an American Barlywine or even an over the top example of an English Old Ale.
In closing . . . . If you like complex beers and perhaps want to over think things (nothing wrong with that) grab a bottle of this.

3.77/5  rDev -4.8%

A -- Good color. one finger of foam. Didn't linger.

S -- I like the smell, expecting good things to come.

T -- Thought the beer didn't have enough hop presence. For being a triple IPA I thought the 120 was lacking compared to the 90. With that said I would drink it again if someone was offering. Over all a good beer.

M -- What I expected. On the thicker side.

D -- One is good for me. Two is a little much.

3.77/5  rDev -4.8%

Thanks to jessecarr for a great trade.

Pours fairly thick and builds an eggshell, half finger head before quickly receding into a "barely there" ring. When held up to the light, it's a bright orange and very clear.

I initially smell the hops, I think mainly because that's what I was looking for, but when I delve further into the bouquet of this beer, I smell hints of apple, orange, grapefruit, and rich, sugary syrup.

When wondering what this beer would taste like, prior to opening the bottle and taking in the complex smells, I expected something much hoppier. But, after taking a deep whiff, this is basically what I was expecting. All of the subtle fruit flavors come together as well as the richness I smelled. To me, this basically tastes like a huge barelywine. After the swallow, there's a bit of astringency but no hop bitterness to speak of. The sweetness of this really showcases itself after it warms up, and toward the end I found it a bit cloying.

I love a full bodied mouthfeel, and this certainly has it, but it's on the thinner side of the full body spectrum.

For what this beer is; something pushing the extremes of what beer can be, I think it's quite drinkable but at times cloying. I'd like to have a few more of these around for the occasional nightcap. Cheers.

3.77/5  rDev -4.8%

Holy, shit, I can barely read my tasting notes. We sampled this while we bottled my first-ever batch of homebrew. I saved it for last, knowing it would kill the palate, but even sharing it w/2 others left me on my ass.
A-Poured a thick copper w/slight haze and decent head that did not last.
S-Cascade hops, sweet citrus, and apricot.
T-Very sweet upfront, and the hit comes after about a second-hops and more hops, and typical hop characters like pine and citrus. It's actually quite good despite the texture. I was going to rate the taste lower, but the taste is fine...it's the mouthfeel that detracts rather than the flavor.
M-Thick and syrupy, like I'm drinking a schnapps.
D-An interesting experience. A great session brew for any raging alcoholic hophead with a sweet-tooth. Although I enjoyed sampling this one, it's a novelty item. I highly recommend trying it, but with friends, since you really don't want anymore once you're halfway down, and it's not cheap.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance is clear dark orange amber with full orangy white head. Dissipates slowly. Thin head stick around. Side by side, this was almost the exact same color as 90 minute.

Smells like sweet and tangy oranges. Sense of alcohol, caramel, darker malts, dark citrus like grapefruit. Hoppy. Malts smell good.

Spice note then a dark ctirus and dark resiny fruit overtake. Very sweet, some caramel. Then the bitter starts up. Not as much hoppiness as expected, but big malts and good bitter close. It's balanced, but it's a larger maltiness.

Theres a thicker feel thats got some stickiness to it, but ok carbonation still. Medium heavy body.

Overall somewhat different than I expected. Very sweet. It's good but not one of my favorites. Like a super malted 90 minute.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Cloudy golden color, nice looking white head.

S: Smells like fresh grapefruit, a little pine but mostly citrus. As the beer warms up more of the malts come through.

T: You taste the booze right away, gives way to a bitter citrus flavor. The after taste is pure oranges and grapefruit.

M: Slightly acidic. Crisp. Surprisingly light-medium bodied.

O: Not what I was expecting at all. Balanced yet hoppy. Alcoholic yet smooth. Still not sure what to think of this beer, but it is definitely something I would recommend to someone who likes hops and wants something unique. Warning on the alcohol: I had to split this one with my girlfriend.

Poured into HF snifter glass

bottled 2012.........been hanging on to this for a while.........1st of the New Year

L-golden......... 3/4 inch head fades into a white cap rather quickly........heavy lacing.......carbonation rising from the bottom.......particulate floating around

S-sweet, honey, toffee, butterscotch, brown sugar

T-boozy, medicinal gives way to sweet candied sugars, more like a barleywine than IPA.........alcohol burn......like drinking brandy or rum.........lingering sweetness with warm alcohol burn in the finish.......like drinking a hard candy........burnt brown sugar........maple syrup........not much hops left to this one

F-full bodied, sweet, mild carbonation,

O-big sweet boozy bomb