120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Ratings: 8,201 |  Reviews: 2,328
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev -4.8%

This brew pours a translucent orange with touches of yellow, topped with a thin whitish head. The aroma is somewhat hoppy, but definitely not abrasively so, and has a notable sweet aroma to match it. The mouthfeel is very smooth and sticky, and the initial taste is a chewy sweetness. The alcohol is definitely noticeable in the taste, but not as much so as I would expect if this is really 20%ABV. There is far less hop bitterness or character throughout than I expected, though a bit of dry feeling and bitterness come in the finish. This, however, has a very tough time breaking through the thick coat of sweetness left on the tongue.

The alcohol presence combined with the sweetness makes this remind me quite a bit of an eisbock. The hops were nearly unnoticeable compared to what I expected from dogfish head IPA, especially after having tried the other X-minute beers from this brewery. The sweetness is a bit much and the alcohol is packing a punch. I think I could like this more next time if I approach it with more accurate expectations -- I definitely would share this with someone as a sipping dessert beer, and not drink it where I'd normally have an IPA. This doesn't seem anything like an IPA to me, and not really even a double IPA. But I doubt it fits any style's definition very well. I think this one could survive a very long time in my basement, and go through a lot of beneficial growth there. And it's definitely good enough to entice me to buy a few more bottles for that purpose.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev -4.8%

I've had this stashed away for almost 6 months now. I had a hard long day at work so i figured this was as good a time as any to break it out. Rich colour, boardering on amber. Powerful smell, very sweet. This was to be one of the sweetest tasting beers i've ever had. Where's the bitterness? Hop flavor is relaxed, but i was expecting alot more. Seems like any kind of depth in flavor is killed by the alcohol. I can't say I'm not enjoying this beer, because I am. Just underwhelmed. I do very much enjoy the thickness of this beer. IPA? doesn't taste like any ipa i've ever had.
Hell, bring on another!

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

2011 Vintage. 12oz bottle at about fridge temp poured into a darkness snifter.

pours out a deep golden, orange, light amber color, fairly clear. abiotu one fingers worth of off white head fades to a thick retentive, patchy layer. a little lace and legs visible from a swirl.

lots of boozey, almost solvent like alcohol in the aroma. a bit of fruity esters, some apricot and something i can only percieve as muddy yeast. hints of burnt caramel, burnt sugar in, and maybe even citrus in the back.

a better taste than the aroma. lots more of a burnt sticky caramel, some fruity esters, still has that muddy yeast flavor (maybe from the hops?) boozey, some hop bitterness and hints of sticky citrus in the finish.

big sticky, mouthfeel, pretty boozey, but has a similar feel as a lot of bigger IPA's.

an interesting beer, and im very interested to see how this ages, but something im dying to buy more of. i thought the bottle/ batch i had years ago was better...

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This is one that I have wanted to try for quite a while. I enjoyed both 60 and 90 so this seemed the next logical step.

Twelve ounce bottle is dated January of 2008. Pours a beautiful red color with nice fluffy head that seems to grow like something living even after visible bubbles have reached the top. It quickly wanes and soon appears to be not carbonated at all.

Not the hoppy aroma I was expecting. In fact, it's more sweet, fruity, and musky. I really wanted to to be incredibly full of fresh hops and all that goodness but it's not.

Taste is totally unexpected. Surprisingly sweet but also bitter. It really reminds me more of a port than a beer. In the beer world, I might say an imperial barley wine.

Mouthfeel is very smooth but drinkability is obviously hindered by the ABV. I think 120 minute is really a suggestion of how this one should be consumed. I started it almost 2 hours ago and still have 1/3 left.

This is possibly the most inappropriately labeled beverage I've ever had. It's certainly not an imperial india pale ale by any definition in my book. However, it's still an enjoyable after-dinner drink and could be a perfect companion for a great movie. I would also be interested in aging a bottle for several years just to see how it improves or changes.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

Before I get into the specifics, let it be known, this is a very special beer. Very different then anything I have tried. If you have the opportunity I would definitely give this a try! Now onto the specifics...

A: Poured from bottle into pint glass. Color a medium yellow/red/orange. Not as dark as I would have expected for a 120 minute brew. The head was fine, white, and did not last long. The appearance of the liquid seemed to coat the glass like a thin watery syrup.

S: Smells like a sweet alcoholy syrup. For how much hops are used in this brew the smell does not come through as much as I would have expected. Hop smell is there, but you kinda have to search for it. The dominant smell is sweet alcohol. Maple, alcohol, essence of fruit, sweet, strong, and overwhelming.

T: Very well balanced for how much alcohol is in this beer. A warm lasting finish. Again, there is not nearly as much hops as you would expect, alcohol and malt have more of a presence here. Slight citrus fruity taste, but quickly dissipates.

M: Tastes like the 120 minute boil really concentrated the flavor down - thick, full, syrupy. Fine and slight carbonation. The after taste magnifies these qualities.

D: Great beer to try, not something I would like to drink once a night, or even once a month. It is something that I am glad I tried once though. I raise my glass to DFH for the effort put into creating this fine beer, however, I wouldn't mind if it was a while before I had this again.

Overall... Something definitely worth trying, or tasting, but not something I will long for tomorrow.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

This happens to be the best IPA around. With its scarcity, it makes people only dream of tasting the wonderful hops that this brew contains. The nice aroma as you pour it into a frosted mug, then to sip it is like the nector of the gods. I loved this IPA.

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

Im taking a lot away from this beer because of the MASSIVE alchol content that you can smell, taste and feel. It is really a unique experience that is hard to compare to other IPAs, but I feel I must. If there were another beer of its type I would rate it differently but with such huge alchol there is a lot lost to other IPAs.

The flowery hops is there, the mild body is right on for a good IPA, but you cant get away from that 21%. It pours golden rich but the smell of the alchol pours out over the glass like a mad science experiment. The taste is nothing like you have ever experienced....IPA hops and body, but a burn like someone poured in grain alcohol.

I have had this many times, and like it regardless of what I said above, but I usually pour this in a "vertical" tasting for friends with the 60 and 90 minute IPAs along side. Everyone gravitates to the 90 and expresses genuine fear of this.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

Bought this bottle in early 2007. Not sure how old it is but has a little bit of age on it.

A: Dark copper, burnt orange with a smallish white head.

S: Caramel overload. Huge nose of brown sugar and caramel. Really don't get much more than that.

T/M: There's the brown sugar and caramel again. Bitterness from the hops there to help balance out the sugary sweetness, but there's no hop lingering (which is a good thing in my book). For as over the top hoppy this is supposed to be, I'm a little surprised its not more dominant. Full bodied.

D: A sipper, big time.

Overall, very interesting beer. A little overboard on the sugary sweetness scale, which knocks it down a notch. But I'd enjoy one of these every once in awhile

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured VERY aggressively into a large snifter and all I got was a one finger head of dense, off white foam that had lots of large wispy bubbles in it.

Smell is tougher for me to pin down though the alcohol is right up front. This seems somewhat bready and piney.

Taste is very sweet a little citrusy. The finish is all alcohol but even that seems ok. It is certainly only a sipping beer anyway.

Mouthfeel is thick but only a little syrupy. I'd say that's an accomplishment all it's own, considering the ABV of 21%.

Drinkability is a little less than I'd like to see. I thought WWS and Raison D'Extra were both VERY drinkable at 18% and 20% respectively so I was expecting more out of this one. All in all, I'm still pleased I have some to lay down for future tastings.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

A: Poured and shared into two small snifter glasses. Spare, white head that was a ring within a minute or so. Body is an orange/amber color, and hazy.

S: Yowza... yeah, you can smell the booze here. The hops are present as well, but mostly it's the alcohol, and I think I burned off a couple of nose hairs.

T: Wow, not as alcoholic as I would have expected. Ok, yes, the alcohol 'warmth' (or burn) is there all the way down to the stomach, but it's manageable, and it's not as strong as you would think from the ABV or from the smell. Surprisingly, this beer is extremely sweet... the hops become more prevalent after several sips. And that's all you'll be doing here... sipping. Do not attempt to drink this on your own or gulp it down.

M: Full-bodied, very creamy, with average carbonation.

D: No, I will not drink more of these a day... more than one a week, or a month. But I'd love to try it again with a different age (I think this bottle was late 2008)... and after 1/3 of the snifter I was starting to talk a bit of gibberish. Lots of fun! Worth the try for the experimental experience alone.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

First off, thanks to JoeyBeerBelly for hooking me up with a bottle of this. Cheers bro!

A- Pours a beautiful amber/orange color with a thick fluffy foam head that leaves tons of lacing all the way down the sides.

S- Definitely lots of pine hop aroma and a major rush of caramel sweetness. A bit musty with a faint alcohol scent. Not nearly as much alcohol present in the nose as what I was expecting.

T- Wow, the alcohol has made a sudden reappearance! Huge wave of alcohol and sweet/tangy citrus flavors of orange, passion fruit, and pineapple. The finish is an overwhelming flood of caramel sweetness. The alcohol is quite apparent but I wouldn't call it 'hot', even though I would describe the alcohol level in many other lower ABV brews as such. This is easily one of the booziest AND balanced DIPAs that I have ever had. I can certainly see why some others seem to think that the 120 favors the barleywine style more so than a DIPA.

M- Thick and syrupy with a pretty decent amount of carbonation. The alcohol bite flashes strong and leaves as quickly as it appeared. The sweetness is border line cloying which I wasn't really expecting.

D- Overall, this is definitely one of the most interesting brews that I have had. Way too sweet to be considered an IPA by me, but it certainly wasn't a bad brew. In fact I enjoyed it quite a bit. The alcohol, even though it is rather apparent, is exceptionally well hidden considering how strong it is. Certainly worth trying.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2012 and 2015 vintages, consumed in 2017 alongside one another. This review is for the 2012.

Compared to the 2015, this was much more mellowed out and less medicinal on the finish. Almost an apricot liqueur flavor. Low carbonation, significantly lower than the 2015.

Overall this was solid if not spectacular. I think if I drank this blind I wouldn't have thought it were anything special. Was interesting to have side by side with the 2015 to compare but not sure I would shell out the money again.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

I had the DFH 120 for my 50th b-day tonight (yep, I'm officially a "Geezer" now!), plus, this is my first review, having been a long time lurker.

A.- Clear, deep golden color topped with a huge head of foam that leaves plenty of lacing down the sides of my Corsendonk tulip glass.

S.- Sweet, smell of some sort of hops. Doesn't remind me of any particular variety of hops - just sweet, probably due to the vast amount of malt used to balance the hops. Cookie dough, perhaps?

T. - Sweet, almost cloyingly sweet, yet at the same time the hop bite makes itself known. The sweetness hits the tip of the tongue while the bitterness hits the back of the tongue. This beer certainly walks the knife edge between bitter and sweet. Also present is a fruity note, something similar to pineapple and apricot mixed together. Alcohol is noticeable with the first several sips and then falls into the background, maybe due to the effect of the hop bitterness.

MF.- Lucious. Silky. Coats the tongue.

D.- Honestly - how can anyone take more than one of these with such an ABV? This beer is twice as strong as the typical Belgian Strong Dark or Tripel. Almost like a whisky. It's a sipper, that's for sure!

Overall: I've had this beer laying around in storage for a good 4 or 5 months just waiting for a special occassion to try it. I'm glad I waited for my half century mark to sample this beast. Now I can say I've had the 60, 90, and 120 minute IPAs from DFH. Nice work Sam!

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

Main reasoning for the 4.5 over a four is the lovely creamy thick head that possesses great retention. Considering this beers ABV this is a feat in itself. Cascading lace down the glass also has substance and great retention. Nearly opaque copper with an amber reddish hint too it.

Nose is nice and very piney. Alcohol is there but not as big as anticipation led me too believe. Very green and earthy aromas. A nice bit of malt to balance out the aroma and not make you overwhelmed by the hops. An odd metalic aroma is noticed on the very end of the nose.

Alcohol is hidden terrificly considering the ABV. Piney, piney, piney. RS is high in this beer but it fits well. Thick with a candied malt that fills the mid palate out nicely. Finish is moderate and sweet. Overall a great beer that hides the alcohol nicely. Not sure how drinkable this is however. Definitely a sipper.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured from bottle into snifter glass.

A: Very little head, heavy lacing. Dark amber coloring, thick and syrupy.

S: Main portion of nose is alcohol which makes sense with as high as the ABV is. Slight twinge of grapefruit which I usually find in Imperial IPAs.

T & M: The alcohol is definitely apparent but surprisingly does not overwhelm. Quite sweet which I suppose if from the large amount of malt to offset the hops. Surprisingly the hops are not hardly apparent as well. Mouthfeel thick and syrupy.

D: Considering the ABV the beer is drinkable but I'm not sure I would see out again. Just a little too overwhelming but I'm glad i finally had it.

look: 5 | smell: 2 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Very good for the ABV. 90 minute is better in my view

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

Perfect copper pours thick with a small creamy tan head that leaves behind a splotchy pile of bubbles and film. Smells are light, but of potent bitter and abrasive hops kissed with alcohol. Kind of surprised on the flavor profile. It’s strong and syrupy sweet to start with, and while bitter, is actually kind of balanced, which was not what I though I was getting into. The sweetness is like syrup and powdered sugar on French Toast made with lots of vanilla. The hops are not overpowering, not out of line. They are bitter and resinous, but blend well with the super-sweet malt profile and hints of alcohol, which are amazing light for a brew this strong. I was expecting, and kind of hoping, that this would be more of a super bitter hop brew, but the sweetness is so prevalent it fairly well balances the hops. Syrupy body and very light carbonation. Not bad, but not what I would call “drinkable” and not what I was hoping for. I shouldn’t mark it down for not meeting my expectations I guess, but for a beer said to be “The holy grail for hopheads” it sure could use maybe another 60 minutes of hopping or something.

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

It pours a completely opaque muddy orange color with a thin white head. The nose has pine forest, mango, lemon candy, caramel, molasses, and a touch of char. There's a HUGE hop characteristic to the taste with grapefruit, apricot, orange juice, and orange peel notes. Pitted against that is a cloying sweet malt backbone with molasses and burnt sugar. A lot is going on here and it's overpowering on the palate. The body is full, rich, and boozy: it tastes like someone took a bag of those orange slice jelly candies, liquefied them, and added rum. I also get the taste of plums and raisins, so it has some flavors that are not typically found in double IPAs or other hoppy beers.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

Presentation: 12oz brown pop top bottle with cool label...I bought two, one to drink now, one I'm gonna age for 5-7 years

Appearance: Nice dark gold brew with decent and surprising (for the abv) dense ivory cap

Smell: Coffee malt, HUGE sweet fruity orange and fruit liqueur notes

Taste: Uber sweet...bright orange liqueur notes...thick pine sap...this is a woodsy hop liqueur basically...quite nice

Mouthfeel: THICK, sweet, and heavy

Drinkability: 1 12oz bottle is good for 2 people

Conclusion: GOOD to try this a coupla of times for the experience...this would be great for an aperitif or digestif...milder than I thought it'd be, quite honestly...had at near room temperature

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

I'm not sure what year this bottle is, I think it is 2005 but I don't know for sure. This beer pours a clear golden amber with a half inch off white head that dropped to a small collar quickly. The smell is citrusy, like grated orange peels with a toasty malt lingering in the background. The first sip gave a bit of an alcohol burn on the tongue, more of the orange peel then some toast. It finishes very clean, almost no after taste, I was expecting some bitterness here but didn't get any. The mouthfeel is medium with a great deal of carbonation. Even though the inital taste had some alcohol; in the rest of the glass it was hidden very well. I finished the whole bottle and wrote this review with only one spelling error, I am impressed with myself.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery