120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,237 | Ratings: 7,950
4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours a crystal clear golden with a white head that fades to a persistant film. Smells like super sticky hops, very piny and sweet grapefruity. The taste has two aspects, sweetness and bitterness. It is dominated by the sweetness. I can't taste a single hint of alcohol which is surprising. Mouthfeel is great, very syrupy and smooth. Drinkability is huge.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- Hazed red amber body. Light foam, more specifically the tiniest ring of foam. Has legs like wine.

A- Dark fruit and caramel malt, no noticeable alcohol or hops.

T- Very sweet malt flavor with quite a bit of alcohol. As I worked through this glass I noticed myself getting rather intoxicated and my senses dulled.

M- Medium-heavy body and little to no carbonation. No apparent carbonation, but there is still a carbonation bite. Quite warming in my chest as well.

D- So incredibly smooth for the amount of alcohol. This bottle was less than a year old and most of the hops seem to have mellowed out. My previous bottle was ~5 years. I'd like to try a freshly bottled one in the near future. As far as sessionable, nope, after one I had a very nice buzz on.

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

i have been searching out this beer for some time now. i love the 90 minute. the truth is that this sucker nails you right away. the flavor is not overpowering but complete and balanced well. the hop taste is orgasmic.

from my notes:

A: semi-translucent, amber, i got a low head, greet lacing.

S: citrus, sweet, grapefruit

T: white grapes, grapefruit, perfectly balanced.

Drinkability: sipper

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

12 fl oz brown bottle; served in a snifter.
Bottled on 03.29.06.

Slightly cloudy, glowing light copper in color. Foamy, near off-white head that slowly pushes its way to the edges of the snifter. Delicately thin lacing with good strength.

Warming alcohol-infused hop resin; hop oils practically jumping from the glass. Smooth, cognac-soaked fruity esters: peach, pear, green apple. Creamy, sweet maltiness with vanilla tones.

Big sweetness up front: vanilla, honey; that lasts into the aftertaste. Liquid hop oils; hints of pear, melon. Floral hop hints and just a touch of pine. Very warming alcohol presence that works wonders with the creamy sweetness. In terms of flavor, reminiscent of a brandy flavored with maple or vanilla. Liquid gold to my tastebuds.

Medium in body; blissfully smooth and creamy on the palate. It doesn't get smoother than this for an ale this big.

If you're expecting a gruff, American hop monster filled with pine and citrus hop flavors...you'll be in for a surprise. The 120 really cannot be defined stylistically; crossing boundaries between an Imperial IPA, American Barleywine, and Cognac. Heaven, (and a hangover), in every bottle.

2006 Vintage

A: Poured into my trusty Chimay goblet. This beer was the color of hazy apple cider. Not too much of a head and some lacing.

S: The smell was intense; a lot of hops with some interesting underlying fruit scents and sugars.

T: The taste was massive and complex. The hops were there big time, but as appose to a big spicy hop flavor, it was a more complex fruity, grassy hop flavor. I got a lot of grapefruit, as well as almost a buttery flavor. I also got a little bit of cannabis flavor in there too.

M: I could almost feel the hop resin in this beer. Also had a light carbonated feel, but not much.

D: This beer was surprisingly drinkable, and the 18% abv was incredibly well hidden. I expected to only sip it, but ended up taking some sizeable swigs. However, I did take the whole night to nurse it, so I would not call it a good session beer by any means.

Notes: I really enjoyed this beer. More then I wanted to, actually (due to the price)... I thought it would be a one-time novelty, but I could easily see myself drinking it again. I did have a fresh batch and it was a WHOLE different animal. Hops and alcohol were much more ferocious. I prefer it aged (unless I'm in a particularly spicy/hoppy mood).

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Wasn't sure what to expect with the 120 minute. Wow. Such a delicious beer. Coming in at 120 IBUs but yet so smooth and drinkable considering the alcohol content. Almost tastes like a barleywine. Will definitely get again given the opportunity.

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

this was a wicked suprise. My buddy brought two 12oz brews over for thanks of next weeks dave concert. Taking this brew on is almost like armaggedon

A- pours a hazy darker orange look. The head disappears like a ghost. Almost as if it is so concerned with the body of the brew... that it retreats

S- tangerine, apricots, raisins and a dominant syrupy sweet malt scent. There is some lift of floral hops. A dominant bouquet of flavor crashes into the scents

T- this is a treat... seriously!!! First and foremost, sweet fruity themes enter the mouth. A twist of bitter hop twist in the mouth. This is so good

M- creamy, creamy

D- enough said. Takes the cake. Be careful

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

This brew is exceptionally great! It pours thick...much thicker then I was expecting. The smell is of strong citrus smells. I was thinking that this was going to be a hoppy beer with the way it was hopped and the amount of hops uses. However, I was very wrong. This beer is very sweet, and smooth. I would have to say it reminded me of drinking a semi-concentrated grapefruit juice. This beer is definitely a sipping beer. Brandy snifter is a good way to take it all in.

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

Picked up a 12 oz bottle on 10-26-2006 from the Arrowhead AJ's for $6.99.

Beer poured orange with a pretty good white head considering its age.

Nose is wonderful, dark fruits, large malts, definitely the aroma of an aged barleywine with some imperial pilsner.

Taste is very good, dark fruits, hints of citrus, enough hop bite still left to balance out the ginormous malt backbone. Alcohol warming on the first sip but remains in the background with subsequent sips.

Mouthfeel is superb, full bodied and smooth, totally satisfying.

Overall i was not sure what i would get with a combination ageing between the beer fridge, the wine cooler, and my closet. It turned out far better that i hoped. Will have to definitely do this again!

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

My coworker offered me a 12 oz. bottle of this from the office minifridge since our kegerator was tapped out. Bottled on 4/18/14! Poured into a plastic cup.

Look: Yellowish brown and very cloudy. A lot of sediment came out of the bottom of the bottle at the end of the pour. Not a looker!

Smell: Sweet, intensely malty, fruity, boozy. Golden raisins. Not too much hoppiness.

Taste: Very hard-hitting. Extremely boozy, sweet, and a little bitter. Pretty tasty!

Feel: Syrupy. Thick body with not much carbonation.

Overall: I think this 2-year-old bottle has aged very well. Not too hoppy anymore, but still extremely boozy and flavorful.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at brews brothers

Appearance: golden orange and yellow with a 1 inch full head. The beer is dancing under the head, the bubbles rolling and rising from the bottom of the glass

Nose: Citrus and pine covering a massive abv that isn't really fully evidenced, this certainly doesn't smell like a 18% beer. There is a lot of sweetness here, it borders on too much, which is ok because its just pushing the limits.

Taste: Very malty and very balanced hops-theyre not so much they're own flavor as they are integrated with the taste of the beer. The lighter fruits are present as well, golden raisins and grapes, and there are maybe some cherry notes in there too.

Mouthfeel: Absolutely wonderful, like a liquer almost it is very thick and full yet it flows easily, the carbonation is present but again it balances the beer rather than trying to make itself known.

Overall: I had a 4 year old version of this last year and was blown away, so I was curious to see what it tasted like fresh; I was not unhappy with the results. I have to say I really expected the alcohol taste to come through given what other people have written for reviews, but I think it was barely noticeable which is noteworthy given the huge potency. For a beer this strong, this is a great example of the complexity and craft that dogfish puts in its beer. while its a bit too sweet to give a perfect rating, I would definitely go out of my way to get this, especially to age.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So I've been holding back to actually reviewing on this site, self conscious I guess, but I think tonight with this beer is finally the time to write an actual review. How could I not start with a 120?

A: Deep golden amber, thin white head that dissipates to a ring quickly. If it was a girl, I'd call it pretty. It looks pretty. Weird, but whatever this is an amazing beer.

S: Hops, but not the usual hop smell. This is hops packed in candy. A sweetness that is unusual in beer. This almost smells crystallized. Crystallized hops.

T: Smooth, sweet hoppiness. Not overwhelming at all. A slight citrus flavor, backed up by sweetness. I can't taste any alcohol, except perhaps for a brief hint at the mid-throat level. 40 proof? Completely hidden.

M: The carbonation is light, but it still feels like silk. Yum.

D: Could I have more than one? Yes. But this is something to share.

4.53/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Rust/amber/deep orange/almost red color, ompletely opaque and hazy. Only a small ring of off-white head with a few streaks. You try carbonating wood grain and see if you get any bubbles.

S: Big maltiness. Sweet smell, quite pleasant. Not overwhelming.

T: Very sweet, fruity, very malty, honey. Far less boozy than I expected. 18% ABV is arguably well-hidden. Not for chugging, but drinkable. It’s a sipper if only because of the price!

M: Heavy, sticky, gooey. Good-syrupy. Again, little carbonation.

O: It’s a great beer and I’m glad I found some to try out. I understand the price because you don’t find Imperials or Belgian Strong Pales at or near 18%, but my budget says stick with the 12% Imperials at 4/$12.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is an amazing beer. Bottled 05/01/09, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - 1 finger head, fades slowly but leaves lacing throughout beer and on glass. Clear reddish amber color. Very alive and inviting.

Smell - Very hoppy, oaky, and nutty. Definitely smell some citrusy hops and fruity aromas.

Taste - first thing that hits me is a malty caramel flavor. Definitely hops, but very well built. All ingredients blend so gracefully, nothing is overpowering.

Mouthfeel - extremely light and smooth.

Drinkability - I will have another this week! Very easy to drink, slight alcohol burn on back of throat that fades pretty quickly. I have one I've been aging since 2006, can't wait to try it!

4.53/5  rDev +14.4%

2012 vintage, sampled fresh.

Appearance: Going to give big points here for being able to hold a collar at 18% abv. The glass is a viscous orange amber that shows slowly rising bubbles. Good clarity.

Smell: Heady alcohol vapors carry loads of sweet malt base supporting a slightly earthy hop oil. Total package goes for sugary syrupy sweetness with an almost raspberry ester.

Taste: Scary how well the alcohol is hidden. A Barleywine sweetness gives exuberant amounts of malty goodness. Alcohol flashes a hint of medicinal, almost vodka sterile then helps evaporate all the sweetness. Slight caramel, creme brule crust, with that dark, bruised fruit ester, almost a raspberry jam. There and undercurrents of viney, leafy hop oils, but they don't even pretend to provide any balance.

Mouthfeel: Numbing, lightly carbonated, deceptively thin, yet deeply oliy body.

Overall: Hard to be objective with a legend like 120. I've enjoyed many bottles over the years and have found that this is the only beer that actually becomes hoppy-er with age. All the sugars and alcohol seem to meld a bit with time and let some of the leaf show. Not with this fresh sample though, pure sugar and alcohol driven, smooth barleywine. Moonshine, rocket fuel, best shared.

4.53/5  rDev +14.4%

Thanks to markgugs for this one.
12 oz. bottle

A: Pours a clear golden with a small bubbly head and small bubbles of carbonation that fight their way to the surface. The head quickly subsides to a frothy ring and leaves spots of lacing.

S: Nice smell with both malt and hop characteristics like a barleywine. Sweet-smelling aromas of candy sugar and floral hops. Not even a trace of alcohol in the nose.

T: Like the smell, the taste is simultaneously malty and hoppy. Very well-balanced with a complex flavor. Again, little of any sign of alcohol in the flavor.

M: Thick and syrupy with just the right amount of carbonation. It's here that the alcohol makes its presence known with an intense heat that makes me warm and fuzzy after just a few sips.

D: An amazingly smooth and tasty sipping beer. In a blind tasting, there is no way I would pick this as having an ABV of 21%. I need more.

Bottled 12/18/06

A - A thick, monsterous head sits atop a hazy amber brew. The lacing thin, yet densely populating the sides of the glass. This is the first beer over 15% that has had any lacing to speak about.

S - Smell is awesome! Caramel with a touch of molasses. Black licorice, grapefruit and pine.

T - Molasses. I really figured I would say hops first, but it is definitely molasses. Absurdly sweet with anise and caramel then comes some spicy pepper and grapefruit flesh. Aftertaste is a surprisingly mild bitterness. This would age absurdly well, but now I really want to try this fresh.

M - Thick, like swishing yogurt in your mouth, there is a lot of residue, in spite of this it is actually a little refreshing. A huge amount of warming in the aftermath.

D - Here it gets docked. It is too strong. I will definitely have again. Probably this week since my favorite beer bar is getting it in soon.

This is my 500th review. Thank you craft brewers, BA and the rest of the beer community! It has been a pleasure so far! Many more reviews to come on my transfer to the West coast. Hooray beer!!!

4.54/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This one was a gift, and much appreciated. Pours a hazy orange, like watered-down, golden orange soda. Very minimal head - just a thin rim around the glass. Very tiny bubbles on the bottom gradually expand on their trip to the top; it's like watching an out-take from the closing moments of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Deep, woodsy caramel aroma. Some pine, some dark rum. I let this one warm a bit, and the alcohol smell is more pronounced, really the only negative.

It's a very pleasing initial taste: Very sweet, slightly bitter, and intensely hoppy. Then a ton of ripe fruit: plums, bananas. Some gumball flavors, brown sugar, more rum. The alcohol really is present in the vapors, and I'm not tasting an alcohol burn or even a liquor-type burn. This tastes like a beer.

This is one that is a pleasure to sip and savor. It's an IPA, a heavy one, but the carbonation is perfect in that is creates a lightness where its needed and allows the flavors to breathe, expand, and work.

I'm a happy camper. Too bad it is not in Alabama.

4.54/5  rDev +14.6%

Dogfish Head has another great beer here with their 120 IPA. Was fortunate to get a bottle from the trusty Vintage Cellar. The 120 poured smoot, pale in color, some white head. Nice to see decent carbonation in one of these bolder beers, as compared to some of the Sam A. products. Alcohol presence was well balanced by the flavors of the IPA, are similar but much more pronounced than those of it's younger cousin the 90 minute IPA. Good hoppy aroma and flavor, along with a good maltiness.

4.54/5  rDev +14.6%

Solidly cloudy deep orange, with some fade to cloudy deep gold, and a creamy creamy cap.

Woahwah! It's super caramel malty and simply gushing with fruits. Bitter and spicy, damn tasty, supremely sippable, syrupy uber-full smooth, and a thickly creamy carb.

Glad I split this bottle, but a worthy beer for certain. Well deserved reputation. A hop-head's hard alcohol.

4.54/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Among my top 5 beers of all time. Living in Maine I used to have the luck of finding this beer on tap many times per year. Now down in Texas and I've yet to see it for the last two years. Sad sad story here.

4.54/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bright/copper color. Candy/citrus hops & caramel toasted malts. Barleywine-ish. Claims to be the HOLY GRAIL, as my first DIPA I may have believed that but as I have tried more its been finding its way down my top 10 list. However I do have some that have been aging for almost a year now and I will be drinking those soon. I will write another review at that time. DRINK LOCAL

4.54/5  rDev +14.6%

12 oz 2015 bottle poured into a teku glass.

L - orange amber color. Thin layer of head with lacing gripping at a snails pace. Ring of foam around the edge

S - smells like hop wine. Earthy strong scent kind of like a red wine but with hops.

T - rock candy up front, sweet malt in the middle, hops and alcohol in the back. Sweet but bitter.

F - very strong, not a slammer by any means. Slow sipper all the way. Boozy the whole way.

O - this is more like hop wine than a beer. Super strong and bitter. Not so much a hop bomb but very balanced. Love Dogfish Head and what they do. Certainly pushes the limits of all IPA fans

4.55/5  rDev +14.9%

Dogfish 120 Minute IPA...21+ alcohol content. Bottled date of 01/07/08.

A- Very thick dark orange fluid that shows a mildly active head that falls to excellent heavy lacing that sticks to glass. Supernova look in the light mild orange tint in middle and dark firey outer shell of glass. NICE.

S- The beer is over a foot and a half from my nose and I smell it! Heavy sweet sugar scent with thick overtones of Malts and hops. Very appearent hop oil smell with alcohol esters obvious.

T- Severly complex in flavor that is combined with every flavor in mind. Starts with heavy brown sugar thickness, massive malt body, followed by a alcohol warmth, finishing with a great hop bitterness tart and tang.

M-D- Thick and very alcohol feel and taste. It's my favorite "can you?" beer. Can you drink it all like any other? Yes I can! Heavy malts and hops can almost crush any average drinkers palate. I personally can down the whole damn thing in about 15 mins. Hardcore flavor means a need for a hardcore drinker. Like light beers? Dont waste the money on trying a true massive hopped and aged beer like this.

Note: Love Hops? Go for it! Just bought out the last of 08 120's in local store.

Note: 5/31/09 Had 5/02/09 bottle i recommend that you keep it for at least a year before drinking. Very mild stuff at first.

4.55/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A- Orangish amber brew,not much head but swirl in the chalice left great lace.

S- Very piney hop aroma, incredible.

T-Citrusy,sweet great to nose,very hoppy,awesome.

M-Creamy ,Thick, almost syrupy.

D-Very good, scary because of the high ABV.

On closing any of the people who gave this beer a bad review need to take their balls out of their mom's purse and man up ,this stuff is awesome don't fear it embrace, I will definetly be drinking more when I get back from St. Martin, VI next month .

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery