Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Ratings: 8,266 |  Reviews: 2,348
4.45/5  rDev +8.3%

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

4.31/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.94/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

3.79/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.02/5  rDev -26.5%

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

4.56/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Gifted from my Bro, arizcards. Bottled on 02/28/2013.

3.23/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Unlike any beer I've ever had.

3.1/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Hazy dark orange color with off-white head. Aroma has bittersweet dried orange peel and boozy orange liquor. Taste starts bittersweet with piney hops and orange peel but then the booze kicks in and burns your throat and insides. Medium body and carbonation. It has classic IPA flavors but with the alcohol overwhelming everything. Really difficult to drink.

4.54/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The 120 minute IPA is a wonderful hoppy beer. The Taste is incredible and does indeed taste a bit like fall. It is a thick beer that coats as it goes down. I think that it had a bit of a delayed release in my stomach as I certainly felt it in my stomach well after I had drank it. Next to the 60 minute IPA, which is my favorite IPA, the 120 minute IPA is right there next to it.

3.65/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%

3.99/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.12/5  rDev +0.2%

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

I didn't have internet when I tried this beer, so this is written some time afterward. I remember that I liked it. I don't remember much after that. Nice flavor, not much bitterness & not much alcohol flavor with it's 19.something %. It did have a delayed stomach burn though. I'll have to try another for a more accurate review.

4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.85/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. No clue the bottle date or ABV. So I'll start this review off by saying I'm reviewing this more as a barleywine than a IPA. Onward!

Pours a dark amber color with less than a finger head that lingers on the ring of the glass. No lacing.

Smell is huge plum, toffee, brown sugar, glazed apple, pumpkin spice, and a vanilla chai. Smells like fall.

Taste is everything I want. A whisky soaked plum and apple, cinnamon, molasses, brown sugar, bitter dark fruit.

Feel is unreal. Thick and chewy likea bowl of bourbon plum oatmeal. Very little carbonation, drinks more like a bourbon or some other liquor.

Overall this is almost a perfect beer for me. I love barrel aged brews and damn it if this doesn't seem like a BA barleywine. But it's an IPA. I dunno. I'm buzzin. This sucker don't mess around! The real deal right here and a must have for any beer enthusiast.

4.19/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I started drinking craft beer 4 1/2 years ago and in my part of the country this is the first time it has been available in this area since that time. The girl who owns the craft beer bar/store/resturant said she has not seen it in this area in 5 years.
I am in the Charleston South Carolina area so craft beer is a big market. We are home to the world renowned Charleston Beer exchange. We have a multitude of craft beer only bars, craft beer stores and basically craft beer everywhere. So there is a lot of built in hype. I passed in having it on tap since they would limit me to one 10 ounce pour and opted for the bottle. There was no date on the bottle, but it looked new just based on the label (crisp fresh looking paper) but I have no idea when it was brewed. Anyway I am a huge IPA fan and favorably view Dogfish head products. The beer poured nicely with a very solid (can not see thru amber color). This just looked like it was full body. A nice small head and quality lacing on the glass during consumption.
It is a vert different tasting IPA. Not hoppy, just very different and complex flavors, but it still tasted like an IPA to me more than anything else others have claimed. Definitely a most different IPA from anything else I tasted before. Can feel and taste the alcohol almost to a fault.
Maybe the hype and not having this beer built my expectations up too much. I was a little disappointed in the taste, but not much and my disappointment may stem from lack of availibity (you always want what you can't get) . I imagined the beer of beers. Truth be told though it is a damn good tasting beer and you feel it trust me. Not up there with some of my all time favorites, but a beer I would drink again. I recommend people try it, you should enjoy it and yes you will feel the effects of the ABV. However, the price and lack of availability would not bring me charging back to it. Hey I don't due the fancy reviews, I taste something and I like it or not. Glad to have tried it. Not bad at all.

4.24/5  rDev +3.2%