120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,272 | Ratings: 8,051
4.62/5  rDev +16.4%

I enjoyed a one year aged bottle out of a snifter glass and here are my notes:

The beer poured a rich caramel color, with a 2 finger head which laced all the way down. VERY hoppy aroma around the beer, and the taste was much the same. A great deal of warmth with the 20%+ ABV and the 100+ IBU's kicked me straight back in my chair. This beer is made for sipping, anyone who chugs this is missing the delecate balance of hoppiness and warmth.

3.55/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured a hazy brown color with a ½” creamy head – nice lacing. The aroma is initially of hops with a subtle sourness perceptible. The taste is definitely strong of hops. There is a balancing sweetness from the malt, but the hops definitely dominate. The finish is quite bitter, but not overwhelming. The mouthfeel is full and seems appropriate for the beer. I had a preconceived notion that this would be an intensely hoppy brew that was one dimensional. It has a nice amount of malt and is quite enjoyable. (Sometimes it is nice being wrong).

4.16/5  rDev +4.8%

Big thanks to kirok1999 for this one.

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Quick fizzy head that starts off about a 1/4 inch and recedes to a filmy cap. Color is a hazy orange. Just the faintest shadow of my fingers can bee see through the glass.
Smell...Oh...My...God!! Sweet and mild aromatic hops creates a slight burn all the way to my lungs. I swear I caught a contact high from the smell.
The taste is a buttery smooth and sweet flavor. A sweet malt balance to the intense hops presence. Pleasant alcohol burn.
Mouthfeel has a creamy character. Very smooth with a boozy character. I really love this beer and want to get more, but I would never take on more than one at a time.. Still, anyone with extras please feel free to send them my way.

4.3/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle. Pours a cloudy brownish-orange color with a thick white head. Nice lacing. Aroma has more malt than I'd think with a nice citrusy hoppy beers. Excellent mouthfeel. Flavor is strong in alcohol with an orange hint to it. Nice, sweet, and hoppy, but not overpowering. A solid beer.

4.07/5  rDev +2.5%

This was a surprise find, so I hid it from myself for the summer. Now that it's past Labor Day, there's no sense torturing myself anymore.

On first pour, it looks like an average Double IPA--deep orange and coppery colored, not a great head, but I can tell it's not flat. Then I take a whiff--again, nothing out of the ordinary here. There is an alcoholic note buried in there, under lots of malty sweetness that reminds me of dried pineapple (the real stuff, not the sugary crap), and yep, there's some hop aroma, but it's not overtly floral.

Then I take a sip...whoa, hold up a sec. Let me try that again...Wow. I was expecting something like this, but then again I wasn't expecting *this*. The carbonation starts to come out as soon as it hits my lips, then the underlying silky texture fills my mouth, while my taste buds do a boogie like we were back at a Dead show in the late 70's. There's more than enough malt to go around in this beer. Well balanced with the hops, too. It's as though the hops were stripped down to their most elemental tastes, there's no hint of overly aggressive bitterness, no light-as-air-freshener citrus like some modern DIPA's...but it's all there. Finally, there is something of a buttery, alcoholic fuzz lingering around the finish line. Hmmm.

It's not something I'll be drinking a lot of, but that's not because I don't like it. The price and availability will make this a specialty brew for me. Perhaps I'll put a few in my cellar and see what happens over time.

4.85/5  rDev +22.2%

Golden orange color, lighter toward the bottom. Cloudy and bubbly. Has a nice, pillowy head with great retention and great lacing left behind.

Smells of chocolate, hops, honey, brown sugar, lemon, banana and cloves.

The taste is where this beer REALLY shines though. With banana, cloves, honey, hops, plums, dates, figs, raisins, grapes, pine, grapefruit, ginger, lemon, and alcohol all working together, how can you go wrong? This is a glorious challenge for the palette, one that everyone wins with. Absolutely incredible flavor. A 5.0 might not be a good enough rating.

Medium bodied, little carbonation, but creamy and full of texture. However, there is a slight burn from the alcohol. The taste is so amazing, but I couldn't drink this casually, too much to not sit down and savor.

4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

12 oz. bottle that i've cellared for one year

a - poured a one finger thick light tan head into a snifter. left some nice sheeting and lacing throughout. i was amazed how much it billowed with a swirl of the glass considering the high ABV. the body was a bright deep amber shade.
s - i could smell the hops from three feet away. lots of grapefruit and sweet malty aromas in this one.
t - malty and sweet, hoppy, grapefruit.
m - sticky and bubbly, it really coats the tongue. i can feel this sticking to my teeth, i might need to floss after drinking this.
d - this is a smooth sipper and it makes you want to drink it fast even though it has some heat to it but it's not overwhelming. i like it a lot. i think this could be amazing with 5-10 years of cellaring instead of the 1 i put behind it.

3.74/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle at Clark St. Ale House. I may as well disclose right now that I fully expect this to be cloying, over-the-top, overpriced crap.

Pours dark amber and extremely cloudy with a very thin head but ample lacing. It pretty much looks how I expect a massively-hopped but malty 21% ABV beer to look.

And it smells that way too, but in a very weird way. The ample malts are huge in the aroma, but the hops are clearly present, especially towards the bottom of the bottle. The interplay between the absurd malt, ridiculous hops, and certifialbly dnagerous alcohol creates a weird, almost Bretty funkiness. My girlfriend thought this was infected, and I really sort of see what she means.

The flavor opens up with big, sweet mixed malts and a little residual sugar. Fruity hop and yeast-derived flavors blend in from the beginning to make for a really weird taste profile. The finish is sweet and alcoholic; not at all bitter, but somehow still hoppy.

This is one fucked up beer. I think I like it.

The mouthfeel is thick and rich, very similar to Devil Dancer, but with a lot more booze.

I don't even really want to rate this for drinkability-- it's 21% ABV for christ's sake-- but if I have to, then I guess it's about a 2.5. It's horribly undrinkable for a double IPA, but spectacularly drinkable for a beer that's over 21% alcohol by volume.

Dogfish Head has cemented its place as the weirdest brewery in America and possibly the world. This is actually pretty good-- way better than that godawful Raison d'Extra or the malt-and-everclear apocalypse that is Worldwide Stout.

I really can't believe I like this, but I do.

NOTE: I wish DFH dated their beers; I really think that this one's been sitting for quite a while, because it's nothing like the hot, sickly-sweet mess that other people have described and that I was expecting.

3.38/5  rDev -14.9%

[My scores on this beer may be misleading, because while it has a very inviting look and aroma, it's one of the most undrinkable beers I've ever had, in terms of pure enjoyment. It's one of a kind, that's for sure.]

The look is a big and hazy deep, dark orange. Nice half finger of light brown head. Looks like a thick, chunky apple cider. Lots of little carbonation bubbles. Minimal lace.

The smell gives a rich combination of flowery hops and a dark oak scent. Heavy dark berry/grape smell, curiously. Alcoholic presence is almost black licorice. Lots of oak and pine. Really dark and heavy. Slight nuttiness comes through.

OK so the taste. First, there is a major blast of alcohol. Seriously oaky. Massive (though still overshadowed) woody hops. Huge alcoholic onslaught with every sip; it's like gasoline. Seriously. An assault on the taste buds. Though there are tons of hops, I wouldn't consider it "hoppy" because all the hops are overshadowed by the other elements. It's like licking a wooden nightstand. I give it points for strength, power and sheer balls.

The feel is a big, thick, chunky, sandpaper feel. Not at all smooth. The true definition of a beer you have to choke down; I've had Metamucil thinner than this. A slow-sipper, not a chugger. It burns like whiskey on the way down, in the esophagus and stomach.

Drinkable? Seriously? Two in a row? I couldn't have two in a decade. It's just too extreme. (And it got me drunk fast because it's the equivalent of 4-5 "session" beers.) I'm glad I tried it once, but I'm unlikely to try it again.

3.48/5  rDev -12.3%

120 Minute IPA pours a light copper color with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle that says it was bottled on 3/30/06. Hops and malt are both present in the aroma, as is a bit of fruitiness and some alcohol. The mouthfeel is downright thick. The flavor is very sweet, almost syrupy, followed by alcohol in the end. You can pick up hops and malt in the flavor, but this is not the hop bomb many might imagine. This is a sipper, the alcohol is definitely noticeable. Not something I would drink on a regular basis, but definitely worth a try.

3.37/5  rDev -15.1%

Finally found one of these at a local liquor store. I poured the sweet hoppy brew from a 12oz bottle into a wine glass and was immediately struck by the deep resiny hop aroma. The color was deep amber with an off white head that fell into a ring around the glass and left significant lacing.
Another whiff of the ale rendered even more hoppy aroma with a deep dark almost smoky note from the malt. The hop aroma was complex but pleasant and the strong alcoholic content is revealed in the nose of this formidable heavy hitter.

The first sip overwhelms with hop flavor then fades into a syrupy sweet malt taste. This is a heavy slow sipping drink. The hop flavor is resiny, piney, and vegetal. The malt is super sweet and smoky. The malt seems to outweigh the hop bitterness in my opinion, leaving this ale a little too sweet. Despite this perceived flaw this is still an excellent beer that any IPA lover should try at least once. The drinkability is low given the extreme flavor and alcohol percent. I would recommend sharing a 12 oz serving between two people. After half of this beer my taste buds felt numb and burnt out. In summary, if you love hops try this beer, if not forget it.

4.8/5  rDev +20.9%

A: Okay, beautiful! Golden honey, freshly harvested honey. BEAUTIFUL!!! The head isn't pure white, but there seems to be a tint of grey and tans w/ delicate little bubbles that take a few minutes to dissipate.

S: Sugary (if this can be considered a smell) and obviously hoppy. Not bitter yucky hoppy, but smooth, pleasant, and hypnotizing hoppy.

T: This is the part I've been waiting for. D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!!!! Sweet, tangy, hoppy, honey, and nutty. These flavors are all blended together perfectly. Honestly, this is the Holy Grail of any beer I've ever had.

M: Smooth. Smooth. Smooth.

D: Other than drink 2 of these and you may need a nap, smooth, sweet, tangy and absolutely delicious!!!!

4.37/5  rDev +10.1%

Fantastic Pour but the head didn't last too long. Deep amber color and just slightly cloudy. Highly aromatic with hints of raisins, and a slight hint of ethanol. It's suprising how easily it is to drink. The taste is complex without aging and almost flowerful. It finishes with a slight taste of ethanol and alittle warmth when swallowed. Overall a great beer!

4.57/5  rDev +15.1%

Review #120. How appropriate. Thanks goes to zutmin.

Sort of a ruby orange with a hint of brown thrown in the mix. Great carbonation and a whispy white head.

Looks potent, though I already knew it was because I smelled it long before. This stuff packs a serious punch! Alcohol is quite present but so are many other wonderful scents. Huge hop presence, from pine to citrus. Caramel malts are also there and honey also adds sweetness.

Taste is crazy. It's a thick, potent flavor of enormous hops, the malts providing some backbone to this monster. A little booze is also present but actually plays well because of the resinous character of this beer. It's like drinking some hop juice with a sweet honey glaze.

Never experienced anything like the mouthfeel of this one. It was very warming. Not extremely bitter, though somewhat dry. But, wait...in comes a creamy, buttery like sensation from the alcohol like never before. Damn, this stuff is good!

Considering this is a 21% motherload of a DIPA, it's quite drinkable. I shared my bottle with a friend and we both enjoyed it from the first sip to the last. Not something that I'll be drinking on a daily or even weekly basis. This is one to enjoy on a special occasion and I would also advise you to sip slowly.

3.55/5  rDev -10.6%

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA

"The" Imperial India Pale Ale.

Damn, that's one sexy hop picture on the label. Wonder if it's scratch and sniff... hmm, no go. Says on the label the holy grail for hop heads, lets hope so.

Visually, this beer is absolutely amazing. What a great pour! Very dense viscosity with color swirls melding together. Body ends up a very hazy orangish-brown. Head is solid.

The aroma is very fresh smelling. Ripe fruit, aged oak, and caramel malt. A strong booziness amongst a deep layer of citric hops.

Taste is otherworldly. Enough hops to actually sting your tongue into remission. I love it! Upfront DFH 120, has a strong barleywine flavor tone. Some pleasant sweetness, that is not overwhelming and acts as the backbone for the immense hops to come. The sweetness does linger, and really only finally balances out near the end of the sip. The dry-hopping has produced some extremely nice flavor tones about midway through the sip. A deep herbacous floral mixture with sassafrase, oak, and light tobacco. The alcoholic burn/sting is relentless and does not give up.

An amazing feat of a beer. Truly unique, and definitely a beer, that not everyone can handle.

*Side notes* Hop burp after 2 sips, and it was one hell of a hop burp.
This beer is worth buying just for the hop burps alone, god they just keep coming.
I am already starting to feel a buzz after drinking maybe only 1/8th of the 12ozer. That is 21% for ya...

Appearance - Orange-rust color with huge, white head.

Smell - Spicy with hints of pepper.

Taste - Very bitter, but in a good way. Resinous with sweet taste as well.

Mouthfeel - Medium-heavy body with medium carbonation.

Drinkability - Not a bad beer but nothing I could drink on a regular basis. The alcohol wasn't overpowering which is good.

4.77/5  rDev +20.2%

When I finished up the DFH brewery tour I was ecstatic to be informed by our guide that they would be pouring the 120 Minute for samples. I have a few 12 oz. bottles of the stuff, but I have been reluctant to open them without cellaring for a while. The beer was a dark, tawny orange with a frothy tan head that subsided kind of quickly and smelled of amber and pale malts with a layered hop character. The taste was arresting and beautiful. Caramel-y and hoppy, this is the way a Double IPA should be. It wasn't a brutal and bitter hop slap in the face the way you'd expect something boiled with hops for 2 hours and then dry-hopped for a month to be, the malts came through excellently; it was amazingly well-balanced from the hops and malts to the different varieties of hops in there. Mouthfeel also was exceptional, it was thick and chewy, coating the mouth and smooth going down despite the alcohol content. I could drink so much of this despite how strong it is, it's just... wow

3.92/5  rDev -1.3%

perhaps i should not have tried this before their 90-min DIPA, cuz now i'm probably spoiled...

slightly cloudy, deep amber. head is not long-lasting, but very creamy. not very lacy though

aroma is extremely fruity with some citrus notes.

not too viscous, but definitely substantial. the sweetness was a huge surprise. a bit off-putting at first, but soon i was kinda hooked. this is not as bitter as you'd expect from a DIPA, the hops are much more floral. probably all the extensive dry-hopping involved?

i guess i'll be aging a couple of these to see if they're even better in a year or so. that is - if i can't avoid the temptation to just go ahead and open them ;)

all that being said, this is probably just a bit too sweet (even with the dry finish), especially for the style.

4.02/5  rDev +1.3%

A - Deep ruby red with a huge off white head that sticks around remarkably for such a strong beer.

S - Spicy, peppery hop aroma. A lot of corriander, pepper, chili, and smokey herbal notes. This kind of smells like an indian grocery store (I mean that in a good way).

T - Odd sharp bitterness is very powerfull. Sweet, malty, and a bit sour. It has distinct alcoholic warmth in the finish.

M - Thick and syrupy with moderate carbonation. I little bit of astringency in the back of the mouth.

D - It is always hard to give a drinkability rateing to a beer this unreasonably strong, but overall this is a solid beer. Many "extreme" beers are almost undrinkable in my opinion but this goes down relatively easy, the only fault is the mouthfeel which is syrupy and a bit unpleasant. The high alcohol is kept in check by other flavors and the smell is quite extraordinary. I have to say this is one of the best truely extreme beers that I have had, from Dogfish Head or anyone else.

3.88/5  rDev -2.3%

Full amber with quickly diminishing head. Noticeably thick with hop resin. Smells a little like soy sauce and lemon. Comes across peppery with a dull bitterness upfront before spreading out into soy, heavy caramel, earthy and green hop resinous hops. Turns a little nutty and tartly acidic on the backside ending in very spicy alcohol. Remarkably tame for 21% abv though. Body is immensely viscous, though surprisingly not nearly to the level i expected. Carbonation is low but appropriate. Drinkability is what it is, but very good for 21%, and this is not at all cloying as i'd feared it would be.

Definitely an extreme beer, but a balanced one.

4.13/5  rDev +4%

Appearance: Copper/Orange with 1-2 finger head. Doesn't last and not as much lacing as other IPA's
Smell: Citrus/Hoppy and Alcohols
Taste: Less Hoppy than expected, given the hype this beer gets. The sweetness that makes me love the 90 minute is not as prelevant here. As with the smell, citrus and hoppy flavors are dominant. Warm alcohol follows soon after swallowing but is not immediately noticable.
Mouthfeel: Medium feeling beer. About what you would expect here.
Drinkability: Deceptively drinkable. Tastes smooth and sweet at first, but after a few minutes, the 21% starts to make itself known.
Final Thoughts: At $10 for a 12oz bottle, I would recommend a buy, but wouldn't make this a regular visitor to my fridge. Definitely prefer the 90 Minute, which has become one of my favorites. Other than price, this beer has nothing going against it.

4.15/5  rDev +4.5%

I've had the 120 Minute IPA several times now, and have been looking forward to reviewing it. This one is poured from a bottle with a "bottled on" date of 5/10/07 into a belgian style snifter. A 12oz bottle costs me $10 in the DC area.

Appears a very golden copper color with a sticky, off-white and slightly orange head. Held up to the natural light from the window the true beauty of this beer shines through; hues of ruby red and deep orange bronze shine brightly. The nose is, as could be expected with a beer of such high alcohol, boozy. But it's still attractive, because the layers of complexity filter down from there. Strong malts, powerful hops, aged dark fruit, citrus on steroids. The taste is bold and, if you're unprepared, can hit you like a mack truck. Strong alcohol presence eventually gives way to dark fruits, rich molasses, and hoppy resin. To me, it's almost like dining on an overwhelming serving of a piney butter pecan ice cream. Smooth, velvety mouthfeel. At times it's almost syrupy.

This is an intense beer and should not be taken likely; 21% ABV is hardcore for any brew. This is best served as an after-dinner drink, in my opinion, like a fine sherry or brandy. To be enjoyed in the smoking room with a cigar over a discussion of Rudyard Kipling or Ernest Hemingway. Something absurd like that.

But damn it's tasty. This one has been on the shelf for a few months, and I'm sure this sucker ages quite nicely, seeing as its alcohol level could sustain it for years. But I actually prefer the 120 Minute as fresh as possible. I think the piney/citrus notes in the hops stand out more when the beer is fresh. But I highly recommend it either way to fans and self-declared afficiandos of IPAs everywhere. But be warned... this is a BIG beer.

4.17/5  rDev +5%

Got this in trade from DDarden, cheers! Bottled on12/16/06

Pours caramel/apricot with 2+fingers of sand colored head. Good head retention & lacing

S: Big-time breadyness & piney hops.

T: Cakey, with honey, dates & in your face piney hops, plus some booze burn up front. Middle has pralines, caramel, baker's chocolate & more booze. Finishes dry, boozey with port notes, apricots & apple skins (fruitty)

MF: Chewy, slick, but a touch of carbonation, skews a bit malty to say the least

Drinks good for the abv, but I prefer a more restrained DIPA, at say 1/2 to 1/3rd the ABV. I would say based on my 2 tastings to age at least 3 years

3.65/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours murky orange with a nice and tame finger of head. Smells very malty/sweet and alcoholic along with just a hint of hops which is weird for an IPA. VERY sweet tasting with dried fruit, alcohol and I think there might be a little hops but that might be from me expecting a heap of them present in a big bad IPA. Though the alcohol is recockulously high, it’s not obvious at all. Feels extremely syrupy and thick. Totally not what I was expecting but that’s not necessarily bad. A nice treat but I can’t imagine drinking more than one at a time. Definitely a must try.

3.73/5  rDev -6%

The appearance was burnt orange with a sticky lacing that hugged the glass leaving little room for a great head. 120 minute had a very sweet and tropical smell while the alcohol was surprisingly not too noticeable for a beer at 20% ABV (Alcohol By Volume). The first taste brought a punch of caramel which flowed into a tropical fruit much like a pineapple then finishing quickly with hops. I expected this to be intensely hoppy but it yielded an overpoweringly sweet, thick and syrupy taste and mouthfeel with an astonishing hop balance. This DIPA (Double India Pale Ale) is definitely a sipper; very thick and heavy with little carbonation and high alcohol. Although the price seemed quite steep, one could justify it in ratio (ABV/price) to wine. The 120 minute term refers to the full two hour boil of high-alpha American hops. In addition to the full two hour boil, DFH radically dry-hops the fermenter daily for a month and then ages the brew for another month on whole-leaf hops! Pick one up if you see it.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery