120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,237 | Ratings: 7,949
3.83/5  rDev -3.3%

This beer is insane!! Poured nicely with a huge head in my snifter. Dark orange no clarity! As soon as I poured it I can smell the Alkyhol!! Can finish a bottle on my own but can't wait see what some age will do to this beer! The hops bite my palate with every sip! This beer is too boozy to figure it out!

4.8/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A: Amber, Jurassic park type color. Crawled all over the glass

S: Boozy cocktail. The first time I 120'd all I could think was Grand Marnier + soda. There's more going on here, though. There's definitely bourbon'y flavors, not too much sweetness or vanilla which I hate, but a <great> counter to the booze.

T: Sickly sweet, bourbon over soda all the way. There's

M: = It really makes me think of a crown+ginger more than anything else. I'm a Hop person, but this is just straight booze, sweetness, (light) smoke, etc. Grand Marnier is also in the picture.

O: This IS a cocktail, letting it sit in a glass whilst doing other stuff is how to drink this. It develops before you open it, in the glass, and as you enjoy it. GREAT beer, in my opinion.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

Upon opening this bottle the strong odor of alcohol was mask slightly by a fruity, pleasant aroma. I poured it without expecting a head, yet one appeared. I was surprised by its creamy and foggy color.

The robust flavor of hops is present from start to finish. This was an enjoyable beer that I would purchase again. It’s not too often a high concentrate of alcohol (20%) tastes this smooth. A super, nice beer to start the evening with .

Ok, this beer has lived up to expectations on taste, as so many that i have sought out have not. About 20% it had a bite of alcohol but not as harsh as you would expect. Aroma would wonderful, a very mild fresh hops. Not overwhelming. Mouth feel was a little heavier than a normal IPA, but again strong and aged likely were the thanks to that.

I was lucky enough to share a bottle with a good brew buddy that had been aging it for a year or more. So I don't know how much that change the flavor profile.
Cheers to you Dogfish

3.17/5  rDev -19.9%

A: This brew poured a thick looking bronze color with a 1 inch foam head that left quickly. Left very little lacing, if any. If I wouldn't of known...it looks fairly quenching...NOT!

S: Apricots, sour apple with very sweet and malty characteristics. Smells sweet and sticky! The ABV even by nose is almost obnoxious. This just barks alcohol!

T: Not horrible- but personally not a fan and I truly like IPA's. This is a little much unless you're drinking one after a meal as a desert drink! Not as hoppy as it is sweet and sticky! It just coats your mouth. The more you drink of it, the more you feel the tongue coat with a sour apple, honey type sweetness...as well as a step closer to feeling like crap in the morning. It has a very, very strong, sweet aftertaste!

M: Substantial, syrupy, heavy, full bodied with a very high ABV present. Almost a cider type.

D: Honestly- hell no!! 1-2 of these and you're done or you're screaming in the morning. It's just too sweet and syrupy. No way and heck I could or would sit down with this as a session beer.

I'm a huge fan of Dogfish and have been wanting to try this and would of regardless purely based on reputation and chatter. I love the 60 Minute, the 90 minute was walking a thin line with me... but a great beer; and this 120 Minute...too much!! A good beer though if that makes any sense.

Not the best review from me...but still a huge fan of the Dogfish Head Brewery!!

4.58/5  rDev +15.7%

A: Mahogany, toffee, pours very viscous, lots of lacing
S: Cherry, dry oaky, prune, raison, nuts, pistachio, almond, a bit boozy
T: Pine nuts, boozy but not hot, drinks like a port, lots of cherry, very sweet but not cloying, appropriate for what you're drinking
M: very viscous, well carbonated, drinks like a port or sherry
O: this is an incredible beer. it was bottled at the first part of 2011 and we opened it half way through 2013. having had a fresh 120 on tap as well as in a bottle I would say this brew takes on a style of its own a part from an IPA. We did not note ANY hop character what so ever, but many different types of sweet tastes.

All in all this brew is stupendous, which is why I pick up a 4 pack every time it comes out.

can't wait to open an even older one!

4.29/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into Good Nature snifter. Picked one up for $10.50

A: gorgeous copper color. Minimal, one finger head.

S: not much going on in the nose. Pick some up some malty and boozy notes. Nothin really shining here.

T: a pleasant surprise here. Sweetness upfront, with a nice caramel malt backbone. A roasted malt flavor balenced well with the hops which are boldly, but not overpoweringly present throughout. Honey and citrus are other flavors i picked up, maybe even vanilla and molasses as well. Dogfish did well balancing a beer that could have easily gotten out of their control. Bravo.

M: I think this is where the beer especially shines. A medium body with a solid amount of carbonation. Nothing too bubbly and overwhelming. Pretty great here.

O: I told myself I wasnt gonna like this one and I was absolutely wrong. Will pick up another bottle and maybe try aging it for a year or two if I'm feeling frisky. The beer is really well balenced between hops and malt, with the 15%+ alc. not playing a huge factor in enjoyment, at least in a negative respect. Would recommend for the avg. hophead to at least give it a shot, who knows?.... You might be pleasantly surprised.

4.62/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

If whiskey were a beer, basically. The first beer I've tried that's this massive. It was legendary before I had the opportunity to sip, and it really tastes more or less like I would expect it to: the alcohol of a rich red wine, the balanced malt-and-hop-bitterness of the 90 minute IPA, but highly refined. The only strike against this beer is that it is so refined as to be unbeerlike in nearly every way.

Had a Westmalle Tripel after this, and actually think that was better, despite love-love-loving IPAs and Dogfish Head.

Still, not complaining one bit. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity, and I savored every drop of it. Not sure how much it would set me back to fund the tasting myself (the fellow who shared it got it from a friend himself), but I'd be willing to buy it to share the experience with the uninitiated.

2.63/5  rDev -33.6%

This beer didn't really resemble an IPA IMO. Sure, the appearance was pretty good and the smell wasn't bad either. In fact, the smell was very fruity and citrus'y' with a nice warming effect on the nostrils from the alcohol. My hopes were high at this point. Mouthfeel was full and thick...again, not bad. Unfortuneately, that is where the average/good qualities of this beer ended for me. It tasted like a World Wide Light! Very malty and syrupy tasting. The somewhat pleasant fruity smell did not transfer to the taste. Drinkability, forget it. My bud and I split the 750ml, and were ready to be done with it before our glasses were even half empty. Curiosity of this beer's "gimmick" persuaded me to purchase it...and at $20, it was a big mistake.

4.37/5  rDev +10.4%

Appearance: Cloudy, light orangish in color.

Smell: Hops, heavy citrus and sweetness.

Taste: Tastes like candied hops. Very sweet.

Mouthfeel: Thick. Has a nice carbonation feel to it.

Drinkability: Def a sipper. Easy to have a glass or two, but not much more than that due to high alcohol content.

A fantastic beer. Have not had another beer like it.

Had this at the brewery after a brewery tour-the keg was 2 days old-needless to say it was very fresh. Our guide told us they slightly changed the recipe this year and also switched the aging tank type-it is now aged in oak.

Also had at the brewpub in rehoboth.

Oh and be sure to get a Heaven and Hell if they have World wide Stout on tap-one word-WOW!!

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

This stuff, for me, can duke it out with Samichlaus Bier to see who is my favorite.

This is certainly one of the more expensive little buys out there; the pour shows a more golden-amber glow than expected. First nose impression is "this stuff is not nearly as harsh as I thought all this octane would deliver". Second nose impression is - "if I didn;t read up on this, I'd not have known the octane - this stuff's aroma is more tart".

The taste is Samichlaus smooth, moreso if that is possible. The finish is a nice hoppy one. Mouthfeel is Olympic medal winning quality.

All in all, this 192 dollar a case drink is All That. God help me, I'm going looking for the Raison D'Extra and World Wide Stout from Dogfish Head - they deliver quality goods.

4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

12 oz. bottle. Pours dark, orange-amber. Sweet aroma. Was not prepared for the first sip, like said by others, WOW, I liked this right away ! Each sip thereafter it just got better and better. Sweet but not annoying sweet, hops dominate with fruity undertones. Alcohol is well hidden, creeps up on ya ! To quote Tommy Chong "It kinda grabs you by the boo-boo!" Can’t wait to try this one again.

1.23/5  rDev -68.9%

I'm under the impression at this point that my review is unfair as I believe I got an outdated bottle. There is an overwhelming taste of vinegar in this beer inducing gag reflex in every sip. I simply can't finish this beer. Again, I may have gotten a bad bottle.

3.48/5  rDev -12.1%

Wow... Absolutely overwhelming. I was very anxious to try this brew because I love the 60 and 90 minute IPA's but this cannot even be categorized with those beers. I guess I didn't know what to expect from a 21% beer, but I was at least expecting somewhat of an IPA taste. This tasted like a really strong, bitter, slightly carbonated wine. In my opinion, no resemblance whatsoever. I would probably have rated this beer higher if I knew what I was in for when I tried it for the first time. I would definitely say its worth picking up, but do not do so on the shear fact that you like 60 and 90 minutes as there is almost no similarities other than the name. If you like barley wines, definitely pick one up and try it. If you are a big IPA fan and are looking for a new imperial IPA to try, heads up, grab a bear republic, stone ruination, a 90 min, or something else. Only available in 12oz singles, my suggestion is that if you havn't had this yet, split it with one other person and/or pour it into a wine glass. The 25-27% ABV Sam Adams Utopias is normally poured in 2oz and this seems like beer that is best in small servings. I poured this into a pint glass and drank the whole thing and when I buy this again I am just pouring it into a small drink/wine glass and drinking a little at a time. This way, I may appreciate the taste more as opposed to trying to finish the whole 12oz bottle/

2.15/5  rDev -45.7%

Bottle. Gentle citric aroma. Huge syrupy thick flavour - spicky and shocking, almost revolting. Doesn't invite further investigation - in fact, the opposite. A gagging action comes into operation after a few sips. A true drain pour. A crude and excessive beer that doesn't taste as if it's been fully brewed out.

2.86/5  rDev -27.8%

Like everyone else, I had heard great things about this beer. Perhaps that made my expectations greater.

Poured from the bottle a deep golden/very light amber color. Very short lived head.

The aroma was not at all what I was expecting. I was waiting for a huge hop explosion, but that was not to be. Instead, the aroma was very fruity, apples, and some citrus.

In the flavor, again, I was expecting a hop bomb. Instead, it was very sweet, perhaps cloyingly so. It did have some hop bitterness, but not enough to balance out the overwhelming sweetness.

I would love to try some other DFH beers, but this one was just not for me.

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

A: Poured a rich amber color with almost no head. Very thick.

S: Hops and the tingle of alcohol on the nose.

T: Very sweet like honey, and then the hops. For a IPA that brags about being hopped for 30 days and 120 min the hops wasn't as strong as I would have liked. Not much bitterness but rather a tad citric, almost sour in the end. But the sweetness finishes everything.

M: Very rich and syrupy. A bit oily and definitely heavy. A small amount of carbonation. Very smooth.

D: For a beer of this ABV content surprisingly easy to drink. A sipper for sure, but seems like it would be easy to swig away.

A gimmicky beer that is good to try once or twice but not the best IPA by far. I think it is a show of what can be done if all the stops are taken out in the brewing process and someone is allowed to go nuts. The sweetness, ABV and the price tag make it too far out of the ordinary though to get used to.

4.9/5  rDev +23.7%

The color is honey, clear, no bubbles, and it seems to have an oily sheen on the head, with only hints of off white lacing remaining. A very thin head returns with a swirl of the glass, but quickly retreats.

Smell is awesome. Huge hops, all hops, it wafts from the snifter and engulfs the nose. Sweet and piney with an alcoholy backside, this aroma comes to you.

Mouthfeel is active and intense. Thick on the palate, oily and alcohol fuzzy on the tongue.

Taste is intense, deep hops, piney, grapefruity hints, with a subtle sweetness and warm finish. Oddly unbitter given the sheer amount of hops.

For the amount of hops, an oddly smooth finish. The hops are super tasty, they don't ruin the palate like with a Stone Ruination IPA. You can really taste the distinctiveness of the hop flowers.

2.4/5  rDev -39.4%

This beer is one I sought out for a while.

Here's the simple straight dope in terms of all i care about ...taste. This was basically the 90 minute turned into a boiler maker. That is my opinion in terms of both taste and alcohol content. You could taste the alcohol and it was not ggood.and my I'm ediate reaction was that it tastes like a boiler maker.

4.36/5  rDev +10.1%

A: Clear burnt orange/auburn coloring. Almost no head on mine. What little there was dissipated pretty quickly but it was a creamy off-white head that took some color notes from the beer itself. So off-white with a hint of burnt orange.

S: AWESOME. Lemon, pine, zesty, malts as the sniff finishes.

T: More lemon and pine up front. I think I drank mine a little colder than they intend (right out of the fridge). I regret not letting it sit longer, but I did after the first sip and the taste notes changed pretty noticeably. When you let it warm, you get malt and more booze, in my opinion. Almost overshadows the hops (ALMOST). Like the 90 minute, the only noticeably objection I have is how syrupy it is, and I assume that comes from the attempt to balance the HUGE alcohol in this beer (which you can feel in the tongue and throat, btw--but what do you expect with a 18-20% ABV beer?) Overall really good.

M: Definitely glad I split this bottle with my girlfriend because it's too big of a beer for me to have had alone on a weeknight! Very good though. Full-bodied, goes down smooth.

4.43/5  rDev +11.9%

Great beer. Really strong almost like barleywine. Subtle in alcohol, not noticable. But be careful it sure is there. I think its 20%. Good winter beer, really warms you up. Smooth flavors. Full bodied beer. Great beer from Dogfish head. Very enjoyable. Malty and hoppy. Copper in color. I really liked this beer.

3.42/5  rDev -13.6%

I love this beer for a few reasons.... the gootness factor(ABV%) and overload of hops!

The appearance is amazing .. lots of bubbles on the side of glass when poured , a very strong color orange and hardly no foam on top.

The smell is goot as well kinda like hoppy citrus with a bunch of alcohol.

Taste is kinda overpowering at 1st , very spicy hoppy pine smell with that alcohol kick. 90 min x 3.

Mouthfeel isnt the glory of this beer, the alcohol makes it tough and very carbonated in some way as well.

I would truely drink alot of these beers for some reason, the taste makes it very easy to drink and you kinda forget about the 21% in it after a while.

3.93/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a hazy amber color with a one finger white head. Very nice lacing. Nose is resiny pine, bready and slightly fruity. Taste is dominated by a very robust, sweet malt backbone. Floral hops, though less than I expected from this super-hopped brew. Taste hides the alcohol very well; there's no bite, but a pleasant warmth with each sip. The mouthfeel is thick and chewy. It's oily and viscous and stays on the palate. I had been dancing around buying this one for some time-- glad I finally did. This is a big beer in all aspects. Though it'd be tough to have more than one in a sitting, I'd gladly have another at a later time.

4.27/5  rDev +7.8%

12 oz bottle - 03 vintage - cellared 60-65F. Quaffed 12/06

appearance: amber with quick dissipating head

smell: sweet malt with citrus notes that disappear fast

taste: sweet backbone with more pine than citrus. Hop flavor is light. Alcohol present but enough malt left to balance.:

mouthfeel: creamy

drinkability: still an enjoyable sipper.

4.62/5  rDev +16.7%

I enjoyed a one year aged bottle out of a snifter glass and here are my notes:

The beer poured a rich caramel color, with a 2 finger head which laced all the way down. VERY hoppy aroma around the beer, and the taste was much the same. A great deal of warmth with the 20%+ ABV and the 100+ IBU's kicked me straight back in my chair. This beer is made for sipping, anyone who chugs this is missing the delecate balance of hoppiness and warmth.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery