120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Ratings: 8,157 |  Reviews: 2,315
4.83/5  rDev +22%

Purchased this bottle from Casanovas in Hudson WI today.
I also have one cellaring from '06 and have wanted to try this, but was reluctant to crack the '06 bottle.

Poured from a 12pz bottle into a snifter.
Head is white, light and fluffy, 2 fingers deep off a rigerous pour.
Hazy amber in color. Retention is medium, little to no laceing.

Big peach marmalade smell, alcahol fumieness, to be expected off a 20+ % beer.
Some grassy floral hop aroma, a bit of bready malt, but mostly overwhelmed by marmalade and alcahol. Smells delicious.

Holy bang me! This is one huge flavored beer!
(This was my actual reaction to tasting it)
I've come to the conclusion that I'm not worthy of reviewing this beer.
But I'll do my best.

Bittering hops with a yeasty bread tone, some dme/ malty wheat like quality.
Sour mash alcahol with a grapefruit zing through the middle and a good dose of carbonation.
Lemon zest mixed with the strongest white wine like flavor. All through this sour and sweet do a happy dance on my tounge, finishing dry with a hop linger and alcahol warming.
Maybe some champagne like flavor qualities?

I'm still not sure exactly what I tasted, that was awsome....

Mild syrup like feel, mostly dry in a champagne like similarity in texter.

I couldnt drink more then one of these in a session, but its a damn fine crafted beer. I will be purchasing more of these to cellar.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2016 12oz bottle into dfh signature glass (slightly snifter-esque). pours a cloudy, dark coppery amber with a small head that calms quickly into bubble lacing. nose; ethanol, piney hops, & caramel; candied orange emerges when warmer, taking on a sweet grand marnier nose. taste; massive caramel malts, ethanol, pine resin, warrior/simcoe hops, grapefruit, citrus rind, & orange pulp. aftertaste warms into a jet-fueled marmalade & banana ester combination that gives me phantom oak notes. mild carbonation & heavy mouthfeel. the second half of the glass gets sweeter as the abv shock marginalizes and the body warms to room temperature, but the 1st half is definitely an acclimation. a novelty freak-show brew that needs to be taken slowly and starts to show its complexity after warming a touch. this isn't going to be a go-to beer by any means, but sometimes you need to reach out and see what's possible. :)

4.21/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.56/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

Special thanks to Robtobfest for this!
12oz poured into a snifter. (No bottling date)

A- Very hazy copper/straw color. Half finger off white head that settled to a tiny cloud of bubbles in the middle of my glass. Decent lacing. As I'm staring at my glass I can't get over the fact that it looks like I'm about to drink a glass of butterscotch syrup.

S- The alcohol does peak through but not as much as I was expecting. Grapefruit, pine, strong hop oils, sweet candy and hearty malt nose.

T- Pine right off the bat, sweet candy as it settles on your tonge, orange peel, pineapple, mild alcohol as the beer starts to warm. The hops do a good job at cutting through the alcohol IMO.

M- Creamy, smooth, sticky on the lips and a slight alcohol burn/warming feeling as you swallow.

D- Each sip was exciting and magical. I do put emphasis on the word "sip" this is something to be truly enjoyed at a slow pace.

I have to say after having a WWS and feeling sickened about how strong the alcohol came through in the nose and taste I was a little hesitant to try this. but I must say this really blew me away I enjoyed every sip of it and can't wait for August's batch to come my way to try one as fresh as possible.

3.37/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

4.96/5  rDev +25.3%

Updates:
4-1-15 - St. Baldricks event at Jamison Pour House with Jen and Ann. Single serving limit, so I saved it for my last. Planet the Elder also on tap. Superb as I had Enjoy By 4/20 earlier in the day.
5-24-15 - 2003 vintage cellared and purchased from Monk's two years ago. Shared with Ryan a few days after his graduation. Nice and smooth. Bourbony with carmel flavors. Low carbonation. Aged very well.
5/8/16 - 2014 vintage that I had in the cellar. Popped just one for Mother's Day. My new tradition. Awesome.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

Um. Wow?

Looks like freshly shaken corn syrup with little air bubbles rising. Golden-ish tone that just looks sweet. Aroma hints at pine trees and alcohol but drifts somewhere towards the tropics -- canned pineapple, sugary fake lime... Sweet on the tongue, fades to mild bitterness. Just bizzare -- but nice.

Putnam very correctly observed that this tasted better after baked goods -- namely the chocolate chip cookies that the 40-year-old "schoolgirl" (It was the day after Halloween; what can I say?) generously gave us.

Sweet, finnicky, bizarre, a bit overdone. Say what you will. It's probably all true.

But this is a hell of a beer with some real paradoxical complexities and simplicities that help you forget you're talking about a beer that weighs in at 20%.

A recommendation for the folks at DFH: Put a Surgeon General-style warning on the label: "Share with friends." Who the hell put this in such a huge bottle?

3.92/5  rDev -1%

3.16/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: Hazy gold-orange, yellow-white head fades but leaves rings of lace.

S: Floral but verging on abrasive chemical. Soil and citrus, but those are quickly smothered by the rest of it.

T: Woody, floral. Pine shows mid-late palate. Chemical like nail polisher still coming through (mega yuck.- what is this??) Cinnamon and baking spices on the finish (I swear), plus more alcohol warmth.

M: It's got some bite! Sky high IBU and sky high alcohol, as it turns out, is intense. Abrasive, but not astringent.

O: Barely fun even as a novelty. It seems like they got a little lazy, trying to make it as extreme as possible and any positive characteristic was a lucky side effect. Insane bitterness and ridiculous hop character is intriguing, but not when the smell and flavor make me worry if I'm going to go blind. I'm glad I didn't, and glad I got to try it, but now our relationship is over. Sorry 120, it's you.

3.56/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.23/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Bottled 4/8/26... about 3 weeks old.

Look is deep copper with some pale and some red hues depending on how the light hits it. Small head dissipates pretty quickly but leaves a thin ring. No lacing.

Smell opens very piney although I wouldn't go as far as 'dank'. When that drifts away its left with a mostly alcohol/solvent smell.

Taste is very much like the smell, except the pine and fruity hops are buried and I just get a lot of alcohol burn. I tried it chilled and then let it warm, and either way it came off hot. Slightly more malts present when it warms, but they're fighting a losing battle with the 18% abv.

Feel is hard to judge, as another review stated, my mouth is basically numb and whatever feel it does have is not very enjoyable. Its medium body I guess and not as flat as I expected, but thats about as much as I can say.

Overall, this is a bummer. I know its kind of a novelty beer at 18%, but I was expecting it to be somewhat more beer-like... Wish I had my $10 back!

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

1.99/5  rDev -49.7%

Let me start by saying that I am not a hophead, though I do like a number of DIPA's. I was able to give this brew a try last night as it was on tap at Mahars. I also got this brew with the idea that it would be slightly more intense version of the 90. I did not realize the magnitude of the difference...

This brew poured to a cloudy and murky yellow to bronze color with a slight head that had no real retention. The aroma, wow ... lots of hops, very sweet, caramel. Not to bad of a smelling brew. Well now for the taste, good god, alcohol is the first thing that comes to mind and then it breaks to hop resin and such a sweet flavor that after a while it is very difficult to get down. At first I just thought it was an odd ball but after a while this one was just grossly over the top for me. I did finish it, was not going to let a $7 draft go down the drain, but it was one of if not the most difficult beers for me to finish. Clearly this was a one time endeavor for me.

3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured a beautiful glowing amber color with a very small head and no lacing. Smell was dominated by a honey sweetness, taste followed suit and was sweet but surprisingly tame. The alcohol was noticeable but not as overpowering as I would have expected. Mouthfeel was oily and medium/full bodied with limited amounts of carbonation. Drinkability suffers some due to the gigantic level of sweetness, but overall this is a nice sipping beer.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery