120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,247 | Ratings: 7,979
4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

First had: bottle from Eulogy (secret stash), Philly, PA

I've now had the '08 vintage bottle (April '11), the '11 batch on tap, and a sample from an '03 bottle (Oct. '11). Thanks to Brewerdan for the latter.

*The following review applies to the '03 bottle. The on tap batch, and the '08 were similar to each other and I wrote a separate review for them. The '03 was almost like a different beer altogether.

This was an entirely different monster than I expected, after having the '11 batch, and recollecting the '08 from a few months ago. I don't know if the beer was tamer back then, or if it just mellowed out a lot over the past 8 years. Poured a slightly hazed orange-amber, noticeably lighter than the Raison D'Extra sitting next to it. Slight patchy layer of white head. Aroma of oak, leafy hops, and sugar. I prepared myself for the strong-tasting quaff I've experienced before, but my eyes lit up when I took my first sip of the '03 vintage. Very mellow and flavorful. Instead of being right in your face like newer batches, the alcohol punch took a back seat to a creamy lemony hoppiness overlaid on sweet caramel malts. Notes of pine and butterscotch too. Wow...I liked the other batches, but this was...drinkable! Smooth mouthfeel, a little heavier than medium-bodied.

If this batch has been brewed consistently the same with no change to the recipe, then I can safely say: it take 8 years [minimum] for this beer to evolve to its perfect state.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

Thanks to jaxon53 for getting this to me!

Pured a deep orange, cloudy with lots of visible carbonation. Thick lace with lots of swirls rounding about in the top, looks alive. Very nice hue and presentation.

Smell will knock you on you ass1 Deep pine resin, nothing I have ever smelled before, and lots of alchol. It actually started to burn my noce it was so strong. As it warms, citrus starts to flow, grapefruit, pineapple, but the pine nugget explosion is definatly intense,

The flavor is rediculous. It tore up my mouth, almost undrinkably bitter, but that just spurred me on. A whole new level of hops, and of beer for that matter. Warming is not the word, this keep my whole house warm last night.As it warmed alot of complex and sweet flavors came to the front, but the most again was a sort of pine sap flavor. The finish was a huge deep dry finish. This is an amazing beer, just huge hops, alcohol is obviously a factor, but if you limit yourself to one, I don't see it affecting the drinkability. I actually re loved this, and would love to try it again. Nothing but really positives on this one.

3.06/5  rDev -22.7%

A: A hazy golden/straw color with a pretty solid white head.

S: Citrus, especially orange and grapefruit, lots of caramel and sugar.

T: Incredibly malty and sweet, too much sugar in your tea sweet. Tons of booze. Some orange flavor and seemed like some banana also. Not really any hop bitterness to this, which is unfortunate, because I feel it would really help this beer out in terms of balance.

M: Obviously this thing has enormous body, but their was almost a grainy feel to it, probably because of how sweet it was.

D: As much as I'd like to be a tough guy on the subject, this beer is not very drinkable. I'm glad to say that I've tried it, but I don't think I will have it again any time soon.

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%

Got this in trade from DDarden, cheers! Bottled on12/16/06

Pours caramel/apricot with 2+fingers of sand colored head. Good head retention & lacing

S: Big-time breadyness & piney hops.

T: Cakey, with honey, dates & in your face piney hops, plus some booze burn up front. Middle has pralines, caramel, baker's chocolate & more booze. Finishes dry, boozey with port notes, apricots & apple skins (fruitty)

MF: Chewy, slick, but a touch of carbonation, skews a bit malty to say the least

Drinks good for the abv, but I prefer a more restrained DIPA, at say 1/2 to 1/3rd the ABV. I would say based on my 2 tastings to age at least 3 years

3.95/5  rDev -0.3%

A: Pours crystal clear yellow with minimal amounts of head. No lacing and no visible carbonation.

S: Aromas are fruity with hints of pineapple and the presence of the hops is easy to detect.

T: Flavor is cloyingly sweet and a pleasant amount of bitterness contributed from the hops and just a hint of the pineapple. The alcohol is subtly present in the taste.

M: Medium bodied with a light amount of carbonation. A little bit sticky.

O: Just too strong at 18% ABV to be easy to drink. I have enjoyed this beer the couple of times I have tried it but it just is not one of my favorites in the style - too sweet and not quite enough bitterness for me.

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

Served in a flared pokal at Bliss.

The first of a couple surprise bottles cracked at the latest Bliss tasting. It pours a slightly murky orange-straw-amber topped by a finger of bright cream foam. The nose comprises heavy pine resin, mentholated honeydew, rich caramel, and a hardy backbone of alcohol. The taste brings in much of the same, with everything taken to the nth degree. Honestly, it's all a bit much when put together like this. The body is a heavy-leaning medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a nearly chewy, syrupy feel. Overall, what could have been a decent DIPA is hindered by what I can only call too much girth and presence. There's just too much of everything here for anything good to come of it.

Thanks to whoever brought this one to our IPA day celebration. An original 2003 big bottle, which I believe is the very first batch.

A - Pours murky yellow, with quite a bit of sediment floating in it, with a small half finger tall white head leaving no lace down the glass.

S - Smells of huge amounts of candied sugar, caramel malt, booze, light tropical fruits, and just the faintest hint of citric hops. It has held up ok but the sweetness has only gotten stronger.

T - Starts off with a HUGE dose of candied sugar sweetness slowly giving way to a mix of caramel malt, dulled tropical fruits, tiny bit of citric hop bitterness, and lots of warming booze. While this one is eight years old it still has plenty of sweet booze to go around. The finish is very sweet, lingering for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Sweet, syrup like, feel with plenty of sweetness lingering through the finish.

O - I have had this stuff fresh, aged for a few years, and now aged for the maximum amount of time, and every time I leave it feeling let down. If you like over the top sweetness, this is your beer. If you like balance of flavors, avoid it at all costs.

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%

Had on tap when the Bros. came to brew for EBF. This is a test batch made at the brewpub.

A: Came in a snifter glass. Hazy orange in color with a very white one finger head. Left some really nice lacing all the way down the glass. Had some small carbonation bubbles released.

S: Smells extremely fresh, extremely sweet with lots of grapefruit. I get some pine, but it is really light and different than most pine aromas on IPAs, hard to place it though. Get some caramel malts on the end.

T: Lots going on here. Extremely sweet and candied. Has a honey flavor and citrus hops, very earthy. The grapefruit comes through as does some orange peel. On the first sip there was a little bit of alcohol, but the rest of it surprisingly did not have much of a booze presence.

M/D: Thick and creamy. Much smoother than anticipated. Very fine bubbles give it a really nice mouthfeel. The alcohol was there a bit, but really not that bad. Its a sipper for sure, but I really didn't have trouble drinking it at all. Wouldn't have guessed it to be 18% if I didn't already know. Not an everyday beer, but a nice treat.

3.37/5  rDev -14.9%

It pours a cloudy orange amber. Not much of a head, but there is some lace left behind.

Very strong pinecone-like hop smell--very fresh. This is too strong to detect much malt or alcohol.

This has the sweetness of fruit punch with a slight hop counter point. This is, for me, too much of a good thing. Strong alcohol warmth in the aftertaste along with the pine hop. Still, the sweetness prevails. Almost oily in the body with low carbonation.

This is an interesting beer, with extreme flavors all around. It is difficult to finish because of it overbearingness. I would say it is worthy of a one time try.

2.46/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle dated 5/1/09 poured into my Dogfish snifter. It poured a murky orange amber color with a thin white lacing scattered across the top of the beer.

The aroma is sweet, sugary and boozy. The hops pretty much either faded away at this point or are overshadowed by the sweet maltiness. Caramel, brown sugar and alcohol are the main flavors I get out of it.

The taste is also extremely sweet and boozy. There is some caramel maltiness to it, but it's more of a sugary, candy like flavor. The finish has a touch of residual hop bitterness, but not nearly enough. The alcohol also shows through too much, giving it a hot, boozy finish.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side with carbonation being low for the style. Overall, I don't think it aged well at all and was approaching undrinkable. The lack of hoppiness just made it cloyingly sweet and boozy. It was kind of like a bad, really unbalanced, one dimensional barleywine. I've had it fresh and remember liking it better than this bottle. I'll make an effort to revisit a fresh bottle and update my review when I can find one.

3.65/5  rDev -7.8%

From 08/03/11 notes. Had on tap at Rustico in Ballston in Arlington, VA. Pretty excited to have a full glass of this as I tried 2 oz.'s of it up at NOTB/EBF back in March and enjoyed it quite a bit. 10 oz. pour into a stange.

a - Pour a reddish orange amber color with two fingers of light white head and moderate carbonation evident. Two minutes of retention and lots of fluffy lacing. Looks pretty good.

s - Smells of fruity malts, citrus hops, alcohol, sugar, tropical fruits. Overall very citrusy and sweet, but pretty nice. Not overly hoppy.

t - Tastes of fruity malts, cloyingly sweet, alcohol, candy, and sugar. VERY sweet; a little too much for me. Alcohol is definitely evident as well.

m - Medium to full body and moderate carbonation. Body is thick and almost syrupy, and the alcohol is definitely evident when drinking this one.

o - Overall a pretty good beer, but I was a bit disappointed. It is very strong and very very sweet, and does not have a ton of fresh hops going on with it, more fruity malts. While I enjoyed it, a 10 oz. pour was way too much. They offered 4 oz. samples of the beer which sounds about perfect to me; halfway through the glass it got kind of rough. I'd have it again, but would want to keep it to the 2 or 4 oz. pours. Pretty good, just not what I look for in a DIPA.

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery all hail to this amazingly revolutionary brewery that push the envelope and shake the industry up to keep things exciting. Here is one of the finest Imperial IPAs I have come into contact with 120 minutes of continously hopped amber goodness with an off white cream toned short lived head, but at 20% abv it's all good. Aroma contains a plethora off hop tones including those of the floral, pine cone, and citrus (grapefruit) varieties along with one very distinct alcohol nose butterscotch. The taste is strikingly sweet with overly ripened fruit tones apricot and plum notes very nice very hoppy, but amazingly balanced with one hell of a warming effect. Mouthfeel is syrupy and full carrying all of these flavors very nicely. The drinkability at 20% is straight rediculous and at 25.6 oz. beware don't crack a bottle of this by yourself because you might be tempted to finish it.

3.92/5  rDev -1%

I split a bottle of this with the other Matt a few days ago. Bottle from my cellar. Vintage December 2006.

The beer is hazy and orange / ruby hued. The head is insubstantial, and leaves only faint traces of lacing behind.

The aroma is dominated by a large alcohol and hop presence, despite the nearly five years of aging.

The taste is very bold and assertive, with notes of sweet fruits and a lot of booze. Hop presence is still there, though less forward than in a fresh bottle. The beer is more of an American barleywine than double IPA.

This is a seriously high octane beer. Three to four ounces is more than enough. A 12 oz. bottle could easily be shared four to six ways.

Overall, this was a decent brew. However, I much prefer beers like J.W. Lees if I want a beer of this ilk, i.e. strong and sweet.

4.37/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a clear golden amber color. Bold nose of citus and very earthy, spiced hops. Thin white head quick to dissolve. Smelling very sweet malt. Quite a bit of lace initially brought on by the head. Malt/sweet monster of a beer. Huge alcohol astringency and punch. Feel is very syrup-like. Warming finish. You can taste the carmalization of the sugar in this beer as well as smell it through the hops. The spice of the hops is very enjoyable in a very earthy way, not the usual hop bomb grapefruit attack of citrus. Much more sweet than I expected and the hops are not playing the bitterness roll that I thought they would. Very enjoyable. Can't wait to have my next one of these.

3.65/5  rDev -7.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip. 2011 vintage.

Appearance - Light amber, dark gold body with a little bit of a head. Very clear and a tiny bit of lacing, which is stunning considering the ABV. Swirling it around coats the glass. It doesn't look nice in the traditional sense, but it still looks classy.

Smell - Interesting nose. At first, I didn't get alcohol. The second smell was all alcohol. It smells like apple juice and raisins. Maybe cherries, too. It's all malt. Some floral hops, but it's tough behind all that malt.

Taste - Like drinking honey. Extremely sweet. I get almost no hops from the flavor. A lot of apple and other fruits in the malt. A little bit of a hop bitterness in the finish, along with loads of booze.

Mouthfeel - Not as syrupy as I'd expect, but still thick. A lot of booze and low carbonation. It is what it is so it's tough to hold that against it, but it's still tough to drink.

Overall - This one's fresh and I have one to age. We'll see how it develops, but I'm not in a rush to drink any more of these fresh.

3.8/5  rDev -4%

Slightly hazy orangish amber with a thin head that lasts as a thin cover. Not bad head retention for abv.

The smell is of strong citrus, some pine, some peppery alcohol.

The taste is of thick, chewy hops - citrus and pine especially. Nice hop profile. Raw alcohol mixes in with hops, leaving some peppery heat in the mouth. Although not quite as much as a 21%er might. A bready malt background give it a thicker body and some balance.

The feel is thick and full-bodied. Syrupy with a rawness to it. A bit heavy on the tongue.

Well, this is well-hopped and alcoholic. It's nice, but alcohol does disturb drinkability, and even enjoyment to a degree because it kills quite a bit of the aftertaste. A nice DIPA, but I can't say I liked it more than the 90 minute. It states on label "ages well". I do suggest cellaring it a few years to see if it mellows some, as it does have good potential.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Shared a bottle on Christmas with a friend.

Pours a slightly cloudy deep orange/amber with a smallish off white head that leaves us much to soon. Smells of hops, no kidding huh? Resinous Piny Citrusy hops. Lots of malt in the nose as well, caramel, burnt sugar, biscuit. Taste follows the nose, first a hop assault of grapefruit, resin and pine then the caramel, molasses malts mixed in with a little alcohol. Desceptively easy to drink for such a strong brew. Mouthfeel is syrupy, Body is thick, carbonation is moderate. Wow that is one big beer! We both loved this brew.

4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

Thanks to Hoyt for bringing this back from his travels up north.

Pours a dark, hazy orange with a quarter inch of soft, dense, white head that has good retention. The nose is very bready and malty with a hint of birthday cake sweetness and some faint citrus hop aromas. There are some definite alcohol esters here. The flavor is identical to the nose. The taste is heavy malt up front with notes of birthday cake and bread followed by a mild citrus hop character with hints of grapefruit and pineapple. The alcohol makes itself known throughout. It adds warmth and body as well as some bite in the finish. The mouthfeel is full bodied, incredibly warm, very smooth, and mildly carbonated.

I really enjoyed this beer. It's like the 90 minute on steroids. The malt character is intense and lends to a more barley wine-like flavor. The hops are more mild but noticeable. It's incredibly boozy, but in a good way in my opinion. I'm sure age would mellow this out big time. If I can ever come across it again, I will definitely be buying a few more.

3.43/5  rDev -13.4%

Review from 3/14/15 (ratings changed to reflect this review) - On-tap at Yard House. Still a little too much alcohol and too thick for me, but I appreciate this more that I used to. An interesting beer for sure, but still not something I think I'll ever be craving.

Original review from 5/12/06

Look - 4.0
Smell - 2.5
Taste - 2.5
Fell - 2.5
Overall - 2.0
Avg - 2.49

Sampled from a fresh bottle dated 3/3/06. Color is a bright copper with lots of big, slow moving bubbles for carbonation. Head is tall, thick, and off-white. Retention is high for a beer with this much ABV. Not much here in for smell. Traces of citrissy hops, alcohol, and a fruity malt are noted. Taste is of a very sweet, make that an almost sickly sweet malt, with a slight edge of fruitiness. Strong alcohol flavor is in the mix. Some citrissy hop flavor fades into the background. I was actually expecting this to be a very, very hoppy beer. This reminds me more of a supped up euro strong lager, like something from Russia. There's just too much sweetness and alcohol here for my tastes. I'm gonna set my other bottle aside for a long, long time and see what happens.

4.8/5  rDev +21.2%

Gorgeous bright ruby red color, very sizable, bubblingly creamy head...
Aroma...massive, intense, huge, towering, flowering, flowing over in the air, in the senses, in the soul, ...big, fat fruit, grapefruit, peach, apricot, mango, more...and not too bitter, surprisingly pleasant...
...and, to taste...Oh, my goo'niss! Ah, ah, ah!!!
INCREDIBLE occurence on the palate, prodigious, amazing, and highly flavorful...floods and gushes, uplifts, elevates, urges pleasure at the very instance lip meets cup and ale enters body...full-bodied to say the least, with a long, tantalizing finish, and additional candyish notes that linger on and on...
An IPA that lays me low, knocks me down a notch, and leaves me no recourse but to bow down and let it wash over...every subsequent taste provides further onslaughts of flavor...oh, yum, yummy, McYum-Yums...
During consumption of this ale, I had no idea of the ABV, for it's been carelessly omitted from the label...20%!?!?! ...hot damn!
Sticky, fruity, gummy, sweet, this surely transcends the boundaries of the India Pale Ale, and feels closer to a barleywine, or even a mead or brackett...but whatever the Hell it is, I love it!

Everlasting thanks to DrewS. for this bottle!

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%

Wow, it has been a long road you and me mister 120. This was the first beer I ever reviewed on BA, and boy was that some time ago. Man how things have changed... for all of us!

Poured on tap into a snifter glass at Pizza Paradiso Dupont DC.

A really nice off white, off caramel colored head with tiny bubbles presenting a creamy like appearance. A real glowing orb of cloudy orange and light amber. As the beer settles it becomes clear showing off it's great orange transparency.

Nose is a distinct and real interesting unique flavor. It is without question, salted caramels. Slight hints of sweetness, no hop presence but like the smell of perfect French sea salted caramel.

Taste is mild sugar hopped citrus orange and some grapefruit, but mostly a great sweet tangerine citrus sweetness. Caramel like malts come to match the nose profile. Texture is big and bold but surprisingly not syrupy, not even boozy for such a high abv, but gives just a hint of sharp and very quick disappearing pine stinging hop with minor alcohol on the finish.

Overall surprisingly impressive. Not that hoppy really but also not as sweet as I remember it. The salted caramel angle is real nice and I certainly don't remember that at all. And for a whopping eighteen abv, I honestly could hardly tell. I've had 13-11-10 percent barleywines that just flat out knocked me out, this... like drinking a charm. Fantastic. Perhaps a re-review of the bottle should be in the cards.

4.69/5  rDev +18.4%

A – Bright orange amber body. Light off-white head is thin with low lace, but what’s there manages to stick around with nice retention.

S – Soft, fruity alcohol, cloves, buckwheat honey, and a generous helping of apricots and stewed pairs. Round floral notes accent the nose.

T – Opens with a delicious combination of caramel, buckwheat honey, and an apricot reduction. White hot alcohol clears out the center of the profile to reveal bright woody hops. The bitterness glows through a cocktail of booze and honey on the slow, meandering finish.

M – The booze lends an ethereal quality to what is otherwise a full body.

O – Slow sipping, but complex and delicious. Think whisky IPA.

4.34/5  rDev +9.6%

Served on-tap and poured in a snifter, the beer is a bright, vibrant, hazy orange marmalade color with a frothy, dense, inch high head that is light tan in color and has very decent retention and cling. Aromas are a hophead's dream, with a blast of pine tassels and resiny, sticky, green fresh hops, balanced with a slight grapefruit citrus characteristic and subtle malt presence. Flavors are huge, and they explode the palate. Robust caramel malt backbone that is quickly surrounded by a roasted character that gives rise to the floral and resiny hops that abound. Wet, green, and heavy are the best descriptors I can give for the hops presence, with a slick, oily feel on the palate. The citrus from the aromas becomes much more subtle on the palate, being slightly absorbed into the malt presence and being somewhat overowered by the solid booze presence. Wow, this is a heavy hitter. The aftertaste is a rich tang of malt, with some peppery hops character making itself known. The finish is slick and rich, giving a slow recession off the palate. It really allows you to take it all in before the tongue recovers for another sip. This is a tasy brew!

2014 bottle. Color is deep amber. Caramel and malty sweetness on the nose, with alcohol.
Very sweet on the palate. A bit of an alcohol burn going down, especially as it warms.
Not for everyone. Glad I had the experience.

4.1/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light orangy pale amber. Tiny bubbles, leaving lace. This beer simply is too sweet, but I love it. My wife (bless her) put "some beers" in the fridge for me. Including this one, that I planned to keep around for a year or two before trying, oh well.
This is thick, syrupy stuff. Heavy on the malt, not quite balanced by the hops. Notes of oranges, alcohol, and more alcohol, and grand marinier, very warming. Would be great with desert or by the fire on a chilly winter night.Probably will improve with age, I've got one more bottle, I'll hide it better...

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery