120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Ratings: 8,154 |  Reviews: 2,313
4.38/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled: October 2007. Bronze-like orange peel with blazing bonfire borders when backlit with sunshine. I'm amazed to see such a great looking head. The upper half of my crystal snifter is filled with a beauteous dollop of light brown sugar colored cream that is leaving plenty of glass coverage. So much for the theory that alcohol is a lid and lace killer.

Despite the EXTREME nature of the beer, the aroma is no different than the aromas of many lower-ABV DIPAs. Sure, there's a bit more alcohol, but at least it doesn't smell like solvent. I'm not disappointed that it isn't over-the-top hoppy because I knew it wouldn't be. Let's go with grapefruit and orange rind macerated in white rum.

One thing is obvious right off the bat: 120 Minute IPA is unique beer (a Dogfish Head specialty). It's also good beer if one has the right attitude going in. Using a snifter, drinking it barely cool and taking small, whiskey-sized sips is the way to go.

One of my initial impressions is how well-hidden the alcohol is. There is plenty of 10.0% beer that's boozier and hotter than this. Kudos to Sam for having the chops to pull it off in such remarkable fashion. Of course, it helps immensely if you're used to drinking 100-proof bourbon neat.

I decided to review this relatively fresh bottle and let my 2005 bottle age a little bit longer because I wanted to get the maximum impact out of the hops. Now that I've tasted it, I'll definitely be on the lookout for a superfresh bottle. Despite the absolutely insane amount of hopping, the beer is sweeter than it is bitter. Thankfully, the hops provide much more flavor than the pale malt. Think Cointreau mixed with 90 Minute IPA. Orange is clearly the dominant fruit on the taste buds.

The mouthfeel is superb as well. It's full, no question about it, but I've had barleywines that were more thick, sappy and gooey. The secret to keeping things from bogging down must be a perfect amount of carbonation. All things considered, the mouthfeel is brewing craftsmanship par excellence.

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA is anything but a typical DIPA. In truth, I didn't expect to like it as much as I do. This is one of those cases in which extreme beer is also incredibly good beer. Even though I won't be drinking it often, I'm now a huge fan and will spring for a bottle or two on those rare occasions when I run across them. The bottom line is that this is delicious and surprisingly drinkable hop liqueur.

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%

Had on tap when the Bros. came to brew for EBF. This is a test batch made at the brewpub.

A: Came in a snifter glass. Hazy orange in color with a very white one finger head. Left some really nice lacing all the way down the glass. Had some small carbonation bubbles released.

S: Smells extremely fresh, extremely sweet with lots of grapefruit. I get some pine, but it is really light and different than most pine aromas on IPAs, hard to place it though. Get some caramel malts on the end.

T: Lots going on here. Extremely sweet and candied. Has a honey flavor and citrus hops, very earthy. The grapefruit comes through as does some orange peel. On the first sip there was a little bit of alcohol, but the rest of it surprisingly did not have much of a booze presence.

M/D: Thick and creamy. Much smoother than anticipated. Very fine bubbles give it a really nice mouthfeel. The alcohol was there a bit, but really not that bad. Its a sipper for sure, but I really didn't have trouble drinking it at all. Wouldn't have guessed it to be 18% if I didn't already know. Not an everyday beer, but a nice treat.

3.37/5  rDev -14.9%

It pours a cloudy orange amber. Not much of a head, but there is some lace left behind.

Very strong pinecone-like hop smell--very fresh. This is too strong to detect much malt or alcohol.

This has the sweetness of fruit punch with a slight hop counter point. This is, for me, too much of a good thing. Strong alcohol warmth in the aftertaste along with the pine hop. Still, the sweetness prevails. Almost oily in the body with low carbonation.

This is an interesting beer, with extreme flavors all around. It is difficult to finish because of it overbearingness. I would say it is worthy of a one time try.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

4.3/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.43/5  rDev -13.4%

Review from 3/14/15 (ratings changed to reflect this review) - On-tap at Yard House. Still a little too much alcohol and too thick for me, but I appreciate this more that I used to. An interesting beer for sure, but still not something I think I'll ever be craving.

Original review from 5/12/06

Look - 4.0
Smell - 2.5
Taste - 2.5
Fell - 2.5
Overall - 2.0
Avg - 2.49

Sampled from a fresh bottle dated 3/3/06. Color is a bright copper with lots of big, slow moving bubbles for carbonation. Head is tall, thick, and off-white. Retention is high for a beer with this much ABV. Not much here in for smell. Traces of citrissy hops, alcohol, and a fruity malt are noted. Taste is of a very sweet, make that an almost sickly sweet malt, with a slight edge of fruitiness. Strong alcohol flavor is in the mix. Some citrissy hop flavor fades into the background. I was actually expecting this to be a very, very hoppy beer. This reminds me more of a supped up euro strong lager, like something from Russia. There's just too much sweetness and alcohol here for my tastes. I'm gonna set my other bottle aside for a long, long time and see what happens.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

Thanks to jaxon53 for getting this to me!

Pured a deep orange, cloudy with lots of visible carbonation. Thick lace with lots of swirls rounding about in the top, looks alive. Very nice hue and presentation.

Smell will knock you on you ass1 Deep pine resin, nothing I have ever smelled before, and lots of alchol. It actually started to burn my noce it was so strong. As it warms, citrus starts to flow, grapefruit, pineapple, but the pine nugget explosion is definatly intense,

The flavor is rediculous. It tore up my mouth, almost undrinkably bitter, but that just spurred me on. A whole new level of hops, and of beer for that matter. Warming is not the word, this keep my whole house warm last night.As it warmed alot of complex and sweet flavors came to the front, but the most again was a sort of pine sap flavor. The finish was a huge deep dry finish. This is an amazing beer, just huge hops, alcohol is obviously a factor, but if you limit yourself to one, I don't see it affecting the drinkability. I actually re loved this, and would love to try it again. Nothing but really positives on this one.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

4.69/5  rDev +18.4%

A – Bright orange amber body. Light off-white head is thin with low lace, but what’s there manages to stick around with nice retention.

S – Soft, fruity alcohol, cloves, buckwheat honey, and a generous helping of apricots and stewed pairs. Round floral notes accent the nose.

T – Opens with a delicious combination of caramel, buckwheat honey, and an apricot reduction. White hot alcohol clears out the center of the profile to reveal bright woody hops. The bitterness glows through a cocktail of booze and honey on the slow, meandering finish.

M – The booze lends an ethereal quality to what is otherwise a full body.

O – Slow sipping, but complex and delicious. Think whisky IPA.

2014 bottle. Color is deep amber. Caramel and malty sweetness on the nose, with alcohol.
Very sweet on the palate. A bit of an alcohol burn going down, especially as it warms.
Not for everyone. Glad I had the experience.

3.65/5  rDev -7.8%

From 08/03/11 notes. Had on tap at Rustico in Ballston in Arlington, VA. Pretty excited to have a full glass of this as I tried 2 oz.'s of it up at NOTB/EBF back in March and enjoyed it quite a bit. 10 oz. pour into a stange.

a - Pour a reddish orange amber color with two fingers of light white head and moderate carbonation evident. Two minutes of retention and lots of fluffy lacing. Looks pretty good.

s - Smells of fruity malts, citrus hops, alcohol, sugar, tropical fruits. Overall very citrusy and sweet, but pretty nice. Not overly hoppy.

t - Tastes of fruity malts, cloyingly sweet, alcohol, candy, and sugar. VERY sweet; a little too much for me. Alcohol is definitely evident as well.

m - Medium to full body and moderate carbonation. Body is thick and almost syrupy, and the alcohol is definitely evident when drinking this one.

o - Overall a pretty good beer, but I was a bit disappointed. It is very strong and very very sweet, and does not have a ton of fresh hops going on with it, more fruity malts. While I enjoyed it, a 10 oz. pour was way too much. They offered 4 oz. samples of the beer which sounds about perfect to me; halfway through the glass it got kind of rough. I'd have it again, but would want to keep it to the 2 or 4 oz. pours. Pretty good, just not what I look for in a DIPA.

3.06/5  rDev -22.7%

A: A hazy golden/straw color with a pretty solid white head.

S: Citrus, especially orange and grapefruit, lots of caramel and sugar.

T: Incredibly malty and sweet, too much sugar in your tea sweet. Tons of booze. Some orange flavor and seemed like some banana also. Not really any hop bitterness to this, which is unfortunate, because I feel it would really help this beer out in terms of balance.

M: Obviously this thing has enormous body, but their was almost a grainy feel to it, probably because of how sweet it was.

D: As much as I'd like to be a tough guy on the subject, this beer is not very drinkable. I'm glad to say that I've tried it, but I don't think I will have it again any time soon.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

Thanks to whoever brought this one to our IPA day celebration. An original 2003 big bottle, which I believe is the very first batch.

A - Pours murky yellow, with quite a bit of sediment floating in it, with a small half finger tall white head leaving no lace down the glass.

S - Smells of huge amounts of candied sugar, caramel malt, booze, light tropical fruits, and just the faintest hint of citric hops. It has held up ok but the sweetness has only gotten stronger.

T - Starts off with a HUGE dose of candied sugar sweetness slowly giving way to a mix of caramel malt, dulled tropical fruits, tiny bit of citric hop bitterness, and lots of warming booze. While this one is eight years old it still has plenty of sweet booze to go around. The finish is very sweet, lingering for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Sweet, syrup like, feel with plenty of sweetness lingering through the finish.

O - I have had this stuff fresh, aged for a few years, and now aged for the maximum amount of time, and every time I leave it feeling let down. If you like over the top sweetness, this is your beer. If you like balance of flavors, avoid it at all costs.

3.76/5  rDev -5.1%

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

Served in a flared pokal at Bliss.

The first of a couple surprise bottles cracked at the latest Bliss tasting. It pours a slightly murky orange-straw-amber topped by a finger of bright cream foam. The nose comprises heavy pine resin, mentholated honeydew, rich caramel, and a hardy backbone of alcohol. The taste brings in much of the same, with everything taken to the nth degree. Honestly, it's all a bit much when put together like this. The body is a heavy-leaning medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a nearly chewy, syrupy feel. Overall, what could have been a decent DIPA is hindered by what I can only call too much girth and presence. There's just too much of everything here for anything good to come of it.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

3.65/5  rDev -7.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip. 2011 vintage.

Appearance - Light amber, dark gold body with a little bit of a head. Very clear and a tiny bit of lacing, which is stunning considering the ABV. Swirling it around coats the glass. It doesn't look nice in the traditional sense, but it still looks classy.

Smell - Interesting nose. At first, I didn't get alcohol. The second smell was all alcohol. It smells like apple juice and raisins. Maybe cherries, too. It's all malt. Some floral hops, but it's tough behind all that malt.

Taste - Like drinking honey. Extremely sweet. I get almost no hops from the flavor. A lot of apple and other fruits in the malt. A little bit of a hop bitterness in the finish, along with loads of booze.

Mouthfeel - Not as syrupy as I'd expect, but still thick. A lot of booze and low carbonation. It is what it is so it's tough to hold that against it, but it's still tough to drink.

Overall - This one's fresh and I have one to age. We'll see how it develops, but I'm not in a rush to drink any more of these fresh.

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

3.92/5  rDev -1%

I split a bottle of this with the other Matt a few days ago. Bottle from my cellar. Vintage December 2006.

The beer is hazy and orange / ruby hued. The head is insubstantial, and leaves only faint traces of lacing behind.

The aroma is dominated by a large alcohol and hop presence, despite the nearly five years of aging.

The taste is very bold and assertive, with notes of sweet fruits and a lot of booze. Hop presence is still there, though less forward than in a fresh bottle. The beer is more of an American barleywine than double IPA.

This is a seriously high octane beer. Three to four ounces is more than enough. A 12 oz. bottle could easily be shared four to six ways.

Overall, this was a decent brew. However, I much prefer beers like J.W. Lees if I want a beer of this ilk, i.e. strong and sweet.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery