120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,254 | Ratings: 8,012
3.84/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The color is a clear wonderful ruby, orange color with not much of a head.

The aroma has a great papaya, peach, mango, and citrus hops. Sweet biscuit malt, syrupy sweetness, and then some dank herbal, resin.

The flavor is quite good. It has a good hop character and the alcohol does not come out so hard for 18%. It has a hop kick and then wonderful sweet juiciness hops and fruit flavor. Then there's a big sweet malt, bitterness, and the booziness, they all meld really together.

It has a slight flavor of a barleywine, but with the big malt and thick malt flavors. It's an extreme beer that you should try. It's a good sipper and worth the try.

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

On tap at the Blue Dog Pub...
Appears an amber color with a small white head that retains nicely and sticks around the glass with solid webbing and lace.
Smell is of intense sugary malt with tons, and tons, and tons of hop varieties. I'm getting rich biscuit, bread, followed by massive amounts of pine, citrus, grapefruit, orange, pineapple.
Taste is equal to the aromas in terms of intensity. To me, this is really the 90 minute stepped up a notch but it's a little harder to handle due to the high abv and intense flavors.
Mouthfeel is full bodied, sugary, bitter, and bread-like chewy.
Drinkability is good. This certainly didn't come across as being a 21% abv in the chalice but I was feeling it by the end of the chalice.

3.73/5  rDev -5.8%

2011 batch that just came in. Purchased at Wine Nation in Milbury.

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a crystal clear copper pour with a nice creamy one finger head thanks to a vigorous pour. The earth toned head faded at the typical rate leaving a small halo and a nice cloud. Pretty good for such a high ABV.

S - Its good, but somewhat of a let down. Lots of bitter pine and citrus (grapefruit) but its somehow overwhelmed by malt sweetness, which I didnt think woul dbe possible. The ABV is hidden by all that malt sweetness.

T - The slight disappointment continues. I was expecting an absolute hop nuclear war in my mouth. Instead I get a nice oily hop that is immediately overwhelmed by sticky malt sweetness. Really not what I was expecting. Its good, just, not what I was expecting.

M - Good for a DIPA. Just enough carbonation to prevent it from feeling either too thin, or too syrupy/sticky sweet.

O - Overall, I was kinda disappointed with this beer. For all the hype that surrounds it I guess I was expecting a hell of alot more. I have 3 more bottles and look forward to seeing what happens over time with them all.

It has been a while since I have found a five but this is it. Pours with a three-finger, bubbly cream head that fades slowly and leaves a nice lace. Cloudy amber color. Good carbonation. Nose is sweet, gingery, malty. Starts with a perfect mix of malt and hops and finishes smooth and sweet NOT a session beer . . . savor this beer . . . their site has this at 20% ABV. Medium bodied. This is the best IPA brewed in the States. Worth $7.99 for a 12oz bottle from Tully's Beer and Wine Wells, Me

3.35/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours a murky brown-orange colour, with some loose-bubbled head initially. The head dissipates quickly, unsurprising considering the high alcohol content, but there is a little white fizz around the edges. Body looks surprisingly thin considering the strength of the brew. Overall, it looks good, if a little scary.

Extremely strong nose, full of spiritous alcohol and sharp high-alpha hop acids. Citrus is pungent, and the alcohol is redolent of brandy. Little sweetness, although there is a port-like residual sugar character lingering around - mostly the alcohol and the hops take charge, however.

Strong and pungent on the palate, initially brash with citric hop bitterness, before the tingling warmth of booze bellows up from the back, roaring a fire of spicy spirit-like burn through my mouth. The alcohol is the main-event here, slightly sweeter than pure spirits, but almost with the intensity. The hop character even takes a backseat to the booze. I can't deny it's confronting, but it's almost too much - perhaps there is a limit to just how far you can push beer after all.

Overdone. Too full of booze, and too straight up with its roar of dominant power. If you're after insanity, maybe this is the beer for you. For me, while it is in all respects unique, it's so far beyond the realms of decency, and so confrontingly undrinkable. Maybe it mellows with age. Maybe we'll see. Right now, I can't abide it, even if I can respect it.

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a hazy amber color with thin white head. Aroma is dominated by hops of course but there is also a strong alcohol presence. This is an extremely hoppy beer that is to be sipped slowly. Although the flavor is dominated by bitter hoppiness, I feel that the 21% abv provides a strong alcohol taste and warmth that takes away from this flavor. I liked this beer very much but wished that the high abv was masked a bit more.

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%

My bottle is the latest batch to come out as it was bottle 7/7/08. Poured into a snifter because I was told this batch was maltier than the usual so I figured I would go with that instead of a winge glass or tulip. Poured a cloudy auburn with gold tints that gave one-finger head that stuck around forever and left a slight lace ring. A complex array of sweet malts like caramel, butterscotch and maybe honey or something. Also in the nose is a great hop presenece that brings both citric fruit notes (lemon) and some tart and dark fruits like sour apples, pear and a little black cherry. My first instinct when trying this is that it would be a "hopbomb", and it VERY hoppy, there is a thickness and stickiness to it from the sweet malts (mostly caramel in this regard). There is also tart and citric fruit tastes in this fuller-bodied beer that rolls across the tongue for the most part (like I said, a tad sticky at some points). The only drawback is a very minor alcohol burn on the backbite which stems from the immense ABV%. For that reason (the ABV, not the burn) and the cost (I'm not rich) prevent me from sessioning this bad boy. This reminded me a of Belgian Triple and maybe a heavy Dubbel, and is one of the best beers I've had in a long, long time. If you haven't tried the current batch I recommend so immediately.

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Poured a medium burnt caramel-orange with a thin, creamy light beige head that had some orange hues to it. The head diminished rather quickly while the lacing was clean. Visible carbonation was light.

S: The nose was very sweet, with pungent pink grapefruit with sugary notes and a beautiful floral aroma. Some tangerines and sweet pine also are detected rounding out the aroma which was very nice.

T: The initial flavor was pungent pink grapefruit with a big sugary sweetness and floral hoppiness. There was some tangerines, sweet caramel and sweet pine resin also detected. A sticky caramel and sweet grapefruit hop lacing is found on the finish with only a slight alcohol awareness of the massive 20% abv. which is beautifully masked by the huge sweet malting and citrusy sweet hopping. The finish finds a dry floral, pine hopping and a beautiful balance of sweet caramel malts and hops that simply has to be experienced by oneself.

M: The mouthful is oily, thick and viscose with sticky sweet grapefruit and pine resin and caramel with a dry flora bitterness on the fade. There is a spicy alcohol nature upon warming but is very subdued considering the 20% abv.

D: Amazing drinkability, hardly any detection of the massive 20% abv nature which could be dangerous. A monster ipa that was beautifully crafted and balanced. Needless to say one should be plenty enough for an evenings enjoyment. Comes highly recommended and worthy of its price per pound. You just gotta taste this for yourself.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

2006 Vintage My Celebration brew on Nov 4th, Yes We Can...drink beer. Poured a burnt orange color with a nice rocky white head. Absolutely beautiful brew! Nose was strong bit of hops and alcohol. Some dried fruits on the nose with some citrus, apricot and malts. The beer over 2 years had really balanced itself on the taste. Hops had subsided. Previously I thought the brew was way off balanced, to hopped up and too hot to finish. Now it was great. Another two years and it would be perfect. Taste was warming, sweet, hopped, well hopped, the citrus feel in the middle. Mouthfeel was good and warm. Drinkability gets better with age. Much better. Another two years and I would give it a 5. I need another..somebody beermail me. I give it a A-

2008 Poured a nice orange color with a small white head, little carbonation. Nose was a blast of alcohol, citrus notes, and maybe some wood and caramel malt. Taste was just obnoxious. ABV was to much, all I tasted minus the small notes of malts and slight citrus with no hop bitterness(ABV probably killed that too). Not balanced noMouthfeel was bad, could not stand to really swish it around. Going down it was not smooth. ABV is up there and the taste was just..not good.Not for me! C-

3.38/5  rDev -14.6%

(Served in a snifter)

A- This beer pours a warm hazy dark orange body with a thick creamy mousse of a head. The head clings to the side of the glass and has a orange hue to it. After a bit there are some large bubbles starting to form in the head.

S- The smell of green piney hops comes through but not as strong as I was expecting. In the background there is some lightly caramel malt aromas. There is a nose of alcohol when this beer warms a bit.

T- The taste of caramel hops is quickly overpowered by a strong alcohol finish. The sweetness of the malt hangs on my lips and I didn't seem to notice the hops. Is this the right beer? With the next sip the alcohol note is blended with bitter hops as it burns my nose on the exhale. As the beer warms the hops start to come through but the alcohol becomes even more pronounced.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a strong alcohol heat in the finish.

D- I was expecting the hoppiest beer of my life but that was far from the case. I got loads of alcohol heat and some nice caramel malt note in the back but not the hops. This beer was fresh and I was hoping to get the most of the hops but no such luck. The bottle says the beer ages well but there is no "brewed on date" for reference. I love Dogfish Head but this beer is a bit of a letdown. I think with age the alcohol would die down but then do the hops die down even more?

3.7/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a hazy deep copper with a small head that quickly diminishes. Nose is crisp floral hops, citrus and alcohol. Full bodied taste that starts out with a strong alcoholic punch that mellows out and finishes with a strong hop bitterness and sweetness.This beer is definately one to sip on for a while from its high abv. Just too sweet for my liking. This is definately one of those beers you at least want to try once.

2.19/5  rDev -44.7%

I am drinking a cold 12 oz poured into an Appalachian Brewing Co. tumbler.

Appearance: An auburn colored ale, this poured with a nice head and kept a residual amount of lace as the beer was consumed. It is translucent, with no sediment.

Smell: There are some light hop oils that I detect, but for the most part, I smell malts, lots and lots of malts, akin to a barleywine. For the beer advertised as the Holy Grail for Hopheads, this is more like the Messiah of Malts.

Taste: As with the smell, malts overwhelm any hop sensations throughout the sip. At the end of the sip, a bitterness of hops appears, but it is not sufficient to redeem this DIPA. On the bright side, the GIGANTIC, ENORMOUS, GINORMOUS ABV of approx 21% is not detectable.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel lacks any hop profile, which is disapoointing, as the 90 Minute IPA is a work of art. The malts sit nicely on the palate, but that is not typical of a DIPA.

Drinkability: The drinkability is redeemed by the masking of the ABV. One does not realize the high ABV when enjoying it, although that can easily get one in trouble.

Overall, this is an interesting creation from DFH. I enjoy the ale and recommend it. The low scores result from my attempt to review within the DIPA style.

On Tap at J Ryans Syracuse NY

Appearance - Copper colour with a very small size fizzy/frothy off-white coloured head. There a low amount of carbonation and there is some fair lacing. The head lasted for only a minute or two.

Smell - Malts, hops, oranges, pineapple, caramel

Taste & Mouth - There is a below average amount of carbonation and I can taste hops and malts mixed with grapefruit and oranges. There is also a caramel/sugary/pineapple sweetness and it ends with a bitter hop aftertaste.. but not as bitter as I would have expected.

Overall - I've had an aged bottle previous to this and I can say that I much preferred it fresh. If you have a few bottles it's worth aging one to see how it changes but make sure you drink most of it fresh.

3.94/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Burnt caramel/orange color. Poured a thin, creamy light beige head that had some orange hues to it. The head dissipated quickly. Generous lacing was clean.

S: Very sweet and sugary. Pungent grapefruit floral aroma. Piney aroma round-out.

T: The initial flavor was pungent grapefruit, a big sugary sweetness and floral hoppiness; also some sweet caramel and sweet pine resin. Caramel and sweet grapefruit finish. Slight alcohol awareness for a beer thats 21% ABV; guess its masked by the huge sweet malting and citrusy sweet hopping. The strange balance brought to this beer has to be experienced.

M: Thick and oily. Coating sweet grapefruit and pine resin. Astringent floral bitterness on the finish. Warming alcohol subdued.

D: Assaults the senses so this is a sipper. Massive 21% ABV could be dangerous. A monster IPA. You just gotta taste this for yourself.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

12oz bottle poured into a New Belgium snifter, about a year of age on this one.

Pours a golden color with a slight white head. Low carbonation.
Smell is interesting... it's not that big considering what i had expected. it smells of alcohol and citrus much like a barelywine, but its not over the top. Tastes nothing like an IPA, though i wasn't expecting it to. It tastes quite nice actually. Very boozy but also sweet. Very sweet actually. Orange and citrus and alcohol. Obviously a sipper as this is a heavy beer, but the body is smooth.

Overall dont expect this to taste or smell or BE anything like an IPA, because its definitely not like any other. This is a barleywine and thats what you should be expecting. Im very impressed at how balanced this beer is considering the extremely high ABV. You'd think this was 10 or 11%, not 18! Bonus points for that.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

12oz bottle poured into chalice april25 2010

A cloudy pale orange with a few sediment swirls for a minute or two, not much of a head and no lace

S some grapefruit with some caramels and a fair bit of booze

T again there's a fair bit of citrus with lots of sweetness with a good hit of booze, much less liquor then I expected but still pretty hard to miss, perhaps some orange rind and honey to go along with everything else

M a little syrupy and just enough carbonation to please, not as much bite as I expected fairly smooth all thing considered

D I couldn't see myself drinking more then one of these and in fact I wish I had a someone to share this one with, pretty strong but not at all undrinkable

I've waited quite a while to try this one and now that it's over I'm a little relieved, this is a extreme beer and everyone should try it at least once just for the novelty alone. I would like to try a 10 year old bottle and see if it mellows out a bit. thanks ritzkiss for knocking this one of my want list.

2.49/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

The big boy...the 120

A-Orange in color with a standard head. Looks thick. Also looks intimidating considering this freak is nearly 20% alcohol.

S-A tit load of alcohol in the scent. Really sweet/malty smell hiding behind the big alcohol smell. Not a lot of hops going into the schnoz.

T-Once the liquid enters my mouth I begin to frown. The shocking amount of booze transitions into a violently malty drink. Not a hoppy beer by any means. Incredibly rich but incredibly unsatisfying.

M-Syrup. Rich Syrup. Sticky and sweet. The booze clings to your tongue.

D- Well, any beer that is 18% will not be very drinkable to me. That being said, I had a hard time throwing back one bottle of this. Sweet honey booze bomb. Not my style.

Won't shell out 10 bucks for this again. Laughing at the fact this this is supposed to be some kind of DIPA.

4.14/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy golden peach color into the mini tulip. A solid half inch dense cream head lingers indefinitely. It's not leaving lacing, but sheets of foam.

Intense grapefruit, citrus pith, pine and fresh cut grass open the stroma, with caramel malt rounding things out. The finish is sweet. There's a hint of alcohol, but it's well hidden, considering abv. Bread dough surfaces as it warms.

A huge citrus punch assaults the palate initially, with tangerine, grapefruit, and a tart, almost lime flavor trying to counter the alcohol flavor...but not succeeding entirely. Alcohol is somewhat mellowed by the sweetness of the caramel malt. A pine resin bitterness reigns in the finish. The more sips I take, the less offensive the alcohol. Much better after the initial shock!

Body is thick, but not as thick as I expected. Guess the alcohol thinned it out. Carbonation is moderate and refreshing. Alcoholic warmth closes out the sip.

Never had this on tap and it's been years since I had a bottle of it. It's a bit hot, but definitely hop dominant and a unique experience. Worth a try. Excellent beer...minus the burn.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

12 ounce bottle with a bottled on date of 3/30/2006. Served in a Dogfish Head snifter, the 120 Minute IPA pours an amber/red color with a very small white head. It smells like citrus and pine hops, caramel and a bit of brandy. The taste starts off very sweet and finishes slightly bitter. I can taste hops (both pine and citrus), caramel, apricots, brandy, and some spices. The alcohol is very well hidden considering it's 21% ABV, and it does pack a punch later. Mouthfeel is full, syrupy and oily. Drinkability is good, although this is definitely a sipping beer. It's nice and smooth and easy to drink. Overall I think this is a well balanced brew. It wasn't quite what I was expecting but in this case it's a good thing. If you get the chance to try one, you should. It's a very good beer.

3.59/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Due South Brewing Co. snifter. Bottleneck says Bottled in 2011.

A- Pours a murky copper color and it's hard to get a head out of it. Basically just a half-full 1/8 inch layer of surface foam that immediately dissipates to a paper-thin ring around the edge of the glass. Average lacing with some alcohol legs.

S- Sweet malts infused with sharp alcohol that singes the nostrils plus some twangy hops. Notes of vanilla, caramel and brown sugar.

T- The alcohol is the first thing to sink its teeth in, followed by the toffee-like malt sweetness. Hops are there too, amazingly enough since this bottle's over a year old. Bitter and toasty aftertaste. A little bit of raisin too. Also some white grape-type tannins.

M- As said before, sharp and bitey while also syrupy causing the lips to smack repeatedly. There's actually a halfway decent amount of carbonation given its age. Medium body.

O- Not bad, but I've kinda given up hope on actually ever loving this beer.

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

In review is a 2012 vintage bottle.

A - Pours a semi-hazy amber color with a frothy ring of lacing.

S - Sweet candy malt aroma, lots of booziness.

T - Booziness dominates from start to finish followed with fermented caramel sweetness, with some citrus and pine emerging at the tail end of the sip, borderline medicinal without crossing the line.

M - Pronounced alcohol warming on the way down and continues to keep the throat toasty warm. Thick, full bodied, lip smacking sticky, velvet on the tongue.

O - Everyone already knows about the reputation of this beer, definitely a sipper and will take quite awhile to work through this bottle if you're drinking alone. I'd rate higher but the alcohol really masks a lot of the beer. (Had this beer so many times in the past, why haven't I rated this one yet???!)

4.08/5  rDev +3%

Got a 4.5 oz taster of this for 3 bucks at the Beermuda.

A - OK so I know this beer is supposed to be dark (or at least hazy compared to pictures online) But mine arrives clear bright amber brown with a 1/4 inch of sticky white head. Close to the Sculpin in color actually.

S - I agree with others it just doesn't seem to smell that hoppy. It is a double edged sword as I smell little to no alcohol as well.

T - I had to double check but since the owner knows his beer (and a caught a small buzz from the sample) this has to be 120. Taste is almost like hop juice but doesn't really hit any overbearing bittering aspect. The middle of the palate is like a barleywine where the malts hit you hard like a DIPA should and the finish is again bitter but in no way overbearing. I did sip this moderately slow so I could see over 4oz be overbearing (especially as it warms up the ABV shines through) but the 4oz I had was perfect.

M - Not as heavy as I anticipated but I could see this turn away the average beer lover. Such a big bold DIPA.

Overall considering this I would gladly pay the 8 bucks to try it in the bottle to see if it's close to this experience but its really nothing to seek out again strictly novelty.

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had an orangey color and a thick, cloudy consistency. There was a half inch of foamy head and good lacing.

S: Very hoppy smell, along with pine, malt and a strong sugary quality.

T: A huge, almost overwhelming flavor. Sweet malt, pine, hops and a sugary aspect. The alcohol content is bracing, but the beer is tasty.

M: A high carbonation rate and a thick, slick finish. Full-bodied.

D: This is a tasty beer, but not one I could drink all the time. Still, a well made beer.

2.51/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I always laugh when stores act all badass with this beer, like "LIMIT 1". . . That's one more than I'll ever want.

Looks dark gold, thin white head. Aroma was super boozy to the point of almost thinking fusel alcohol, but no, its just super hot.

Taste is a thick, viscous almost barleywine like double ipa, excessive bitterness. If you like bitter vodka shots, this is your jam.

When I think overrated sticky high alpha hop methodology with little hop flavor, this be thy name.

3.49/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle from the first batch this year.

Appearance- A strong amber with hints of anti-freeze translucence. The bubbles for this IPA are clearly slowed by the amount of alcohol mand malt sweetness visible in just the color. Some mediocre head, looks like any nromal, run-of-the-mill IPA.

Smell- Not at all like any IPA I've had before. Insanely sweet. Is there even hops in this??? Sweet caramel candied apples drizzled with Skol vodka. I thinks it's sort of cool because of the shot before you even taste the beer.

Taste- Starts with more Amaretto like swetness that quickly develops into a more malt intensity beer than hops. The flavor lets you know they added insane amounts of mlats and removed water to just boost the abv. But it is unique for its resiny sweet, toasty malts. Almost like biting into a caramel apple with two inches of caramel and only haalf of a whole apple in the center. This will be my relaxing nightcap beer.

Mouthfeel- An almost over bearing malt sweetness mixed with an alcoholic burn never felt before in any burn. These new sensations in this highly heralded IPA are very intriguing because they break the mold for any normal IPA. The bitterness is there, but only a little due to the crazy amounts of malkt. Drank like it was fine cognac.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery