Sixty-One (61) | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American IPA

A continually-hopped IPA brewed with Syrah grape must.

Added by MikeRoni on 02-01-2013

Reviews: 435 | Ratings: 2,910
4.17/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into snifter.

A- Pale ruby red with one finger of grayish head made up of stacks of small, compact bubbles.

S- Very subtle hops with the syrah coming out quite a bit. Smells of dry red wine with hints of blackberry and black currant. Quite subtle nothing huge.

T- Follows nose quite closely with even more subtle hop coming through. Very interesting as the hops and alcohol hide behind the syrah must. The IPA and wine combination is especially interesting as the abrasiveness of the IPA is balanced by how subtle syrah grapes (especially French) can be. Not sweet and stays a little on the dry side.

M- Very interesting mouthfeel on this one as it's quite effervescent with the tightly stacked bubbles. Medium in body slight dry finish.

O- I really liked this experimental IPA from Dogfish Head. It combines two of my favorite things in the world and does it well. I was expecting the IPA to overpower any grape characteristics but it was the other way around and the syrah fruit won out! I wasn't going to try this until I saw the dissonance in the Bros between the BAs reviews and I am glad I did. Cheers.

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A - A ruby red color with a thin, reddish, foamy head.

S -The sweet fruity aromas hit you right when the cap pops off the bottle.

T - The taste was a great surprise. The smell misleads you into thinking you're about to drink a sweet beer, but it's actually a little bitter - almost tart. There isn't a whole lot of flavor. Some subtle hints of the grape must - definitely not overwhelming.

M - It has a thin body with a lot of carbonation.

O - DFH has been a favorite brewery of mine as far as I can remember. I was expecting another high quality release with this beer, but I was really disappointed. My expectations for DFH are pretty high, and they rarely disappoint, but this beer doesn't live up to quality and taste of some of their better known brews like 90 Minute and Burton Baton. Still a DFH brew nonetheless, so it still a good beer, just one I'd expect from a less prestigious brewery.

3.67/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a Dogfish Head shaped pint.

Appearance
Fuchsia wine cooler color with a short white head that dissipates quickly. Excellent clarity with low carbonation.

Nose
Raspberry, watermelon and Splenda...

Taste
Raspberry and watermelon. Sweetened red wine with light notes of caramel. Maybe a touch of orange juice and tangerine.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, crisp, sticky and dry.

Overall
Well, it's really not as bad as I anticipated. It is wine-cooler-esque, but on a higher level.

2.64/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a crystal-clear reddish color. The head is a one finger white shade. I love the look and the texture of the head, in particular.

S: There is a shit ton of earthy mustiness to this one - okay, it's not the freshest bottle by any stretch, but the hops are damn near nonexistent. Unsweetened grape, caramel, and toffee notes round out the mediocre aroma.

T: At first, it drinks much like 60 Minute, with its malty opening giving way to a vaguely citrusy midpoint. It's the finish that ruins things, offering far too much musty sourness. Every once in a while, I notice a vinous tone on the aftertaste that I enjoy, but this is a mess otherwise.

M: Sweet and a bit heavy. The vinous notes try to cleanse the palate, but instead only create astringency. I don't think its undrinkable, but there are too many conflicting qualities in both the flavor and the palate to make it an enjoyable offering.

O: This offering is proof positive that gimmicky and innovative are two entirely different beasts altogether - and this is most certainly the former. It's basically 60 Minute crossed with a crappy wine. C'mon, Dogfish Head, less gimmicky nonsense and more quality offerings!

3.26/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Sixty One pours a clear purple color with a small fizzy light pink head on top. The foam fades quickly leaving no lace on the glass.

The aroma is fruity with strong grape notes. Reminds me of jelly. A touch of bread is also detected.

Each sip of this light to medium bodied beer is soft on the palate with an effervescent fizz. The flavor is sweet and fruity. Grapes dominate, but there's a nice sweet bready malt throughout. Some floral notes and a touch of lemon are at the end. It finishes dry with a lingering earthy grass flavor when gone.

This beer has an interesting flavor. Seems more like a wine than a beer.

3.13/5  rDev -14%

12 oz bottle dated 2/26/13. Cool color scheme on the bottle.

Appearance: Pours a unique rosé Color, with a thin one finger fizzy white head. Retention is pretty good. with some glass covering lacing.

Aroma: Spicy, floral hops. Distinct malt backbone. Vinous fruity acidity.

Taste: A light touch on floral and spicy hops up front. Hints of pine. The same malty backbone that 60 minute has before a fruity vinous tannic spice brings up the finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin, fizzy carbonation. Lighter medium body. Weird wine-like finish. Dry, with wine-like tannic qualities.

Overall, not very impressive. Another odd beer from DFH that just falls short. Interesting concept and I like the story of how this beer came to be, but it doesnt do it for me. Fun to try but probably not anything I would purchase again. Maybe just to try it on draft.

2.79/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard branded bronze colour pressure cap and interesting iconic label acquired at a local SoCal beer store earlier tonight and served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average; not a big Dogfish Head guy usually but I like a select few offerings. "India Pale Ale brewed with Syrah grape must." 6.5% ABV confirmed. Bottled 02/26/13 (refrigerated since receipt at the store).

Served cold straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a four finger dreadfully thin white-pink colour head of horrid thickness and pretty decent (~3 minute) retention. Body colour is a unique rose/pink. Clear, fluid, clean, and translucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Lacing is thin, uneven, and unappealing. Weak-looking; lacks vibrance or solidity.

Sm: Floral, soapy, and light piney hop character. Malty sweetness. Sweet syrupy grape; it's not appealing. Juicy grapeskin. Some lychee. Sticky and nectary (in a bad way - and not from the hops). No hop bitterness comes through, though the sticky sweetness is so distracting I'm not sure I'd notice it if it did. An imbalanced, off-putting aroma of moderate strength. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

T: Lightly syrupy sweet grape juice reminiscent of a generic brand fizzy grape drink. Lacks body, with weak pale and crystal malts trying to hold it up but failing; this beer has no backbone. Overly sweet with heavy grapeskin and lychee-like syrup. Poorly balanced and badly built. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Hop character is generic and floral; poorly done for an IPA. Weak, pathetic, unrefreshing. Not getting any wine notes or wine must notes.

Mf: Weak, clean, smooth, wet, thin, and lightly watery. Good carbonation. Poor body. Poor presence on the palate. Not at all to style. Doesn't suit the flavour profile well.

Dr: Drinkable but forgettable. It's unique but poorly done. I wouldn't get it again, but I applaud the experimentation. Priced highly for the lack of quality. Another gimmick brew from Dogfish Head. Not recommended.

Low C

3.71/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a sparkling, decent head that quickly fizzles. Appears like a dark rosé in the glass. Definitely a good grape nose, with some pine and slight hops in the background. Taste is prominently from the Syrrah grapes, though again, a bit of pine and citrus even it out. Overall an interesting beer...don't know if I'd buy a whole 4-pack of it, but if I saw it again, especially in the warmer months, I'd give it another go.

3.1/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. Bottled on 2/26/13 stamped on bottle neck.

Appearance: Pours a clear medium cranberry-pink color with orange highlights a 1 finger bubbly snow white head which dissipates quickly but never disappears. Tons of effervescent bubbles throughout.

Smell: Floral hops and sweet citrus with sweet malt and a nice fruitiness that I assume comes from the Syrah must.

Taste: Mild floral and citrus hops along with sweet malt up front followed by grassy hops in the middle before ending with lemon zest and tannic grape hulls at the finish. Aftertaste is bitter and puckering.

Mouthfeel: Light-to-medium-bodied with a good amount of carbonation. A bit watery for an IPA.

Drinkability: Medium drinkability. It's goes down easy, but I wouldn't want multiples.

Overall: Average beer overall. I was excited to try this one, but it didn't really work for me. It's worth a shot, but I wouldn't really seek this one out again.

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%

A: Gorgeous red color that slowly turns Pink as you finish it. However, no lacing. Two-finger head that appears to be more fizzy than foamy.

S: A slight berry and grapefruit aroma, but that is all. I don't get any hop aromas at all whatsoever.

T: It seems like this beer is trying to fuck with me. The taste profile just doesn't work. There are two completely different flavors and they just don't correlate with each other. This is supposed to be an IPA-based beer, but I don't taste any hops, or any IPA characteristics at all, for that matter. The Syrah grape must has clearly defeated the hops.

M: Mouthfeel is alright I guess, but nothing too impressive. Each sip I take, I get a slight fizziness on my tongue - similar to a soda.

O: I like the idea of this particular beer. I admire the creativity of DFH and will always support them... HOWEVER, this "61 minute" reminded me of when I was a kid and used to drink cherry soda. I understand that DFH is trying to expand their Wine/Beer hybrids, but there's only so much they can do.

Don't give up, DFH!

3.64/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Dogfish Head pint glass. Pours a reddish coppery amber with a half finger odd-tinted off-white head with good retention and lacing. Aroma of grape juice and sweet light biscuit malt, slightly musty. Flavor starts with biscuit malt and grassy hops, then slightly oaky, dry red wine becomes dominant; finishes dry and tannic. Medium bodied. An interesting experimental hybrid, but the fresh hops that make 60 minute great are muted by the vinous flavors and the finish is too dry and earthy for a ale for my taste. When I drink wine, I prefer dry, oaky reds, but this combination just doesn't work for me. I'd rather have the individual components. Kudos to Dogfish for an intriguing try, but didn't work for me.

3.03/5  rDev -16.8%

Pours a clear pinkish brown with a light pink head that leaves little bits of lacing.

Smells of a little grapes and some floral hops.

Tastes of the fruitiness with some light IPA notes underneath. Fruity grape notes lead off with a fair amount of sweetness. This leads into a little citrus and floral hops. A bit of caramel and toasted grain comes through after this.

Mouthfeel is medium-light with a smooth amount of carbonation.

Overall, I don't like this. I don't find any of the flavors to be offensive, but it really comes off as a wine cooler with hops to me.

2.97/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

A - light ruby/garnet color, very similar to watered-down sangria, pink tinted head that recedes to an 1/8". Light carbonation streams throughout

S - faint scent of malts, with a Loire-like rosè aroma. Hop are present but take a backseat. Refreshing smell!

T - extremely disjointed, the fruit doesn't know where to fit in. Slight piney-hop flavor that fades very quickly into an odd, metallic, lingering finish

M - great weight and carbonation. Well made in this aspect. A feel on the palate like an Anjou wine.

O - Need to go back to the drawing board. Very disappointed that this wasn't better. I will still support DFH through and through!

3.35/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A- pours red-amber color with some ruby hue, small foamy white head that almost had a purplish tone, long retention after the pour

S- Concord grape juice, grainy and cracker-like malt, artificial grape candy, vegetal and earthy

T- tart grape flavors provide somewhat wine flavors, mid-palate is slightly sweet and malty, the finish is strong herbal hops with some medicinal flavor, dry-yet-bitter finish with herbal and floral hop linger

M- medium-light body with medium carbonation, foamy mouthfeel and finish

O- not really sure what to think about this one, I find it hard to classify this as an IPA. It's certainly different but not something I will be purchasing again

2.74/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter. Thanks Chris!

(A)- Pours a clear reddish ruby color. Some good white froth that dissipated quickly.

(S)- Very red wine grape juice centric with the ever so slight hint of some bitter pine.

(T)- Again, very red wine like with the very subtle citrus and pine.

(M)- A smooth and crisp carbonation level. Slightly sweet yet slightly bitter. Plenty of tannis that I think upped the bitterness level even higher.

(O)- An interesting take on their classic 60 minute. I appreciate the effort, but if I want an IPA, I would much rather have the regular over this. There is just not a ton going on and the wine masks everything I like about an IPA. This would be much better suited to be put under the Fruit/Vegetable beer section than IPA.

3.29/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

LOOK: Pours a ruby red color with a white head. Leaves some lace on the glass, but looks a bit like a wine cooler. To be expected since it is brewed with grapes.

SMELL: Pale malts, fruity wine, and some faint hops.

TASTE/FEEL: Tart wine notes are complimented by some earthy hops. Creamy maltyness lends some depth to the flavor. Earthy, winesque and somewhat dry. Medium bodied and sporting a high level of carbonation.

OVERALL: For a fruit beer, this is pretty good. By no means is this an IPA. It's more like a bittered wine cooler.

3.9/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 ounce bottle, Botled on 2-26-13

Pours ruby hued medium amber. Off white head, again with a ruby accent.

Nose is slightly floral, with hops in the rear.

Tasty IPA, 60 minutes hops in near full force, with a noticable floral/wine note adding to complexity. Interesting and different, I find the results of this experiment to be quite successful.

Worth a try, I expect this one to go along well with rustic, flavorfull BBQ in some summer warmth

3.98/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A very reddish, amber beer with a medium-sized head. The aroma is very wine-like...grape skins, wine tannins, backed by herbal, earthy hops. Not much malt in the smell. The taste is semi-dry, with some grain character....notable fruit...grape and apple....yeast and some tartness. The finish is lingering and more bitter than I anticipated. Nice and here sting beer.

2.82/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A: Pours a light pinkish/purple with a very small head that dissipated quickly. No real lacing to speak of.

S: Grape and some wine, the 60 minute attributes are a bit muted, a little bit of pine.

T: More grape, again the IPA part of this beer is very minimal. A little bit of pine, not like 60 minute at all.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Lingering taste.

O: Not very good, which I suppose was to be expected as I am not a huge fan of noble rot.

1.06/5  rDev -70.9%

Picked up a four pack of this dated 2/28/2013. I like wine, I like beer so why not?
Pours a red/ purple color with a thin white head. Smells bad, musty, no hops. Taste is just awful. I get no hop tastes, just cheap wine then bitterness. Tastes like some sort of sparkling wine than went terribly bad. If you poured this into my glass and didn't tell me what it was, I would think it's the worst glass of wine I have ever had. In reality, it's the worst glass of beer I have ever had.

3.59/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Funky light pink/purple foamy head. Dark purple brew. Intriguing lacing. Unique spin.

Grape notes for sure. Piney, resinous, dank. Funky cotton candy aroma.

Awkwardly bitter and dry. Carbonation is perfect and light. Flavors are mixed, lots of light IPA pine, yet must comes though wonderfully, although dry. Crisp. Rounded out nicely.

This could have been an awful mess, but it came out very drinkable and light. Nice IPA attributes with a kick of experiment. It's definitely an experimental brew, but it was fun to try once. Recommended as a single @ $2.50/12oz

2.98/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a beet red/garnet with a reddish-white head into my glass. I was intrigued by the description on the bottle and the color is even cooler!

Citrusy hops with a touch of the syrah grape must in the nose. It's very subtle and doesn't infringe upon the hops.

Taste is hard to describe but I'll try. Citrusy hops with a strong, sour touch of the syrah grape must. I'm not sure if it goes very well here.

Clashes with the hops in the mouthfeel. You get too much of the grape must and little of the hops themselves.

Eh. Could have been much better. After all, Midas Touch uses grape doesn't it and that beer is a lot more drinkable than this. I see an attempt to cross beer and wine here and it doesn't work for me.

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%

A: pours a dark pink/ light red color with a small white head that gradually faded to thin lacing

S: smells faintly of red wine, citrusy hops pretty upfront

T: im not an ipa guy so it was very surprising, slightly dry red wine taset followed buy very mild hoppiness.

M: fairly light, dry, pretty high carbonation compared to what i am used to

O: i enjoyed this beer, i was fairly surprised because im more of a stout porter guy so for an ipa i was pretty impressed, i kno its not a "true" ipa but earlier in the day i tried a tordepo and i think after drinking this brew i could ease my way into the ipa field.

3.1/5  rDev -14.8%

A: Pours a clear cherry red; surprising for an ale.

S: Malty and sweet with a definite red wine aroma.

T: Up-front sweetness with a predominant grape flavor that gives way to the expected lingering bitterness of a sixty-minute IPA.

M: Crisp and dry. Refreshing.

O: Not a bad offering by Sam and the crew down at Dogfish, but I'm a little surprised that this beer is coming into Dogfish Head's core offerings. As out of the ordinary as this beer is, I would expect it to be a seasonal. With the right pairing, I could see this being very nice for the summer.

2.23/5  rDev -38.7%

Another weird beer from Dogfish Head, IPA with grape must.

Purplish pink colored beer with a tall pink head, yep it's weird.

Smells of grapefruit and grape with a bitter scent something like bug spray. Smells like an orchard that has been spayed for fruit flies.

Starts out bitter and a little sour with a clear grapefruit flavor. The IPA and grapes doesn't work so well tastes like rotten grape jelly. Not as good as the other wine beers DFH has made like Red & White and Blue & White.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall this is terrible. I have three more of these and I don't really want to drink it.

Sixty-One (61) from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery