Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Reviews: 1,491 | Ratings: 4,080
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

11.2 bottle poured into a Belgian style tulip

A: Very nice looking mahogany, looks like a dark cherry, with a tan creamy head that lasted about 2 minutes.

A: Vinegar bomb, some alcohol, sour, slight tart berry aroma, smells great.

T: First impression, not as sour as the nose, very dry finish, not a lot of alcohol, there is some tart, sour berry flavors, definitely getting a sour cherry flavor, taste great.

F: This has the same carbonation and mouthfeel of a coke, except for the dry finish.

O: This is my second sour beer, didn't enjoy the first one, but this one is a lot better. The sour vinegar aromas and flavors turned me off at first, but then I notice there is some subtle cherry, berry aromas and flavors in the beer. Highly recommend if you're into sours and will definitely drink again.

4.46/5  rDev +9%

750ml bottle, 6/10 exp date. Poured into tulip at 40 degrees.

Pours with a 1/2 glass full of thick, tan head which fades to heavy film and leaves a ton of lacing. Body is deep ruby, and nearly opaque.

Smell hits you with balsamic vinegar, oak barrel, vinous but not overpowering, and slightly earthy funk.

Flavor is, wow. Not nearly as tart as I expected from the aroma, quite sweet actually. Plum, cherry, and some limey bite, plenty of sweet and sour balance - mostly sweet. Reminiscent of grape juice, with zero hint of alcohol.

Scary smooth mouthfeel - could've used a touch more carbonation to tighten it up.

Top score on drinkability - pretty sure I could've chugged this. Bottle is going down way too quickly.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had on draft at Lures 8oz pour in a wide mouth short glass 2/21/14

A-Appearance: dark ruby color, nice beige head.

S-Red wine, barrel, barn, sour notes.

T-Destintive and remember able taste of red wine, sour, sweetness coming form malty backbone, slightly astringent, quite dry.

M-mouthfeel is full body and high carbonation, nice wine aftertaste.

O-Overall great first sour ale and Flanders must try more

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Cork reads exp. date 10/09.

Dark red pour, topped by a loud fizzy white head. Thick dense bubbles slowly fade away.

Aroma hits me before I even pour. Malt vinegar and tart cherries start my mouth watering.

A little more vinegary than I remember, but still, YUM. cherries come into play, and I do mean play. This is just a fun beer. A bit of dry roasted malts sweeten it up, and I don't detect hops anywhere in here. No idea what kind of yeast was used, but this tastes like a great wine had a baby with a delicious beer, and they named her little Duchesse. She grew up to hold a bird on one finger, and delight dancinwillie. The end.

Mouthfeel is great, very lively carbonation, and eternally refreshing. I could easily chug this beauty.

Overall, a tremendous example of what beer can be. Multi dimensional and bold, all while having a modest 6% ABV.

Stunning.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

11.2oz bottle, Bruery tulip, best by 10/6/12.

Gorgeous very clear red, cherry red. The head is a fairly thin, frothy tan that does seem to stick well to the glass.

Delicately acidic, like very fruity red wine vinegar. Cherry, raspberry, and cranberry all make an appearance, as does some good, honest sweet biscuit malt.

The flavors are a fuller realization of the aromas. Strawberry joins the mix and it seems like the better characteristics of rose champagne and sparkling cranberry juice are combined with beer. It has a lovely level of tannins that work to balance the sweetness in the absence of any obvious hopping. The sourness is pleasantly drying and tart.

Prickly carbonation is reminiscent of champagne, as is the tannic roughing of the tongue and drying of the mouth. One is left with little aftertaste, save a little acidity in the throat.

I love my first sour beer and Flanders Red Ale. Will power has kept me from having finished the glass already. While this sours might not be a go to, they are a new favorite. Duchesse is nothing extreme but very tasty.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Served from bottle into a Bell's tulip. Poured a deep reddish brown with a two finger off white head with a slight light tan hue that subsided to half a finger very slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, tart, cherries, raspberries, and subtle wood. The flavor was of sweet malt, wood, sour, tart, subtle earth, and raspberries. It had a medium feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall there is not a lot you can say bad about this brew. Once upon a time I saw this on the closeout section at Duckworth's, I drank the entire stock of 12 oz bottles they had. Oops... Definitely has an excellent and inviting aroma going on here and a great flavor to go along with that. Everything on this one just works really well together. A great example of the style if you ask me. An absolute must try for any sour fan out there if you have not already.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

A nose that directly think of red grapes and more particularly to wine (particularly in 75cl bottles where it is much more emphasized) but also harmonious tannins, probably due to a shift in casks. It also collects other flavors of red fruits, including cherries how. The palate is sweet tasting at first but it soon becomes sour. The finish leaves an impression of Red Flanders but more complex than his sisters and that's what makes it so valuable. Bubbly, light and far from being disgusting, it can boast of offering both unique flavors and easy to drink.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

33mL bottle with best-before date printed on back label, poured into tulip.

Pours a deep cherry amber. Head is initially off-white and a finger high, settling to a small foamy layer on top. Bits of lacing cling to the glass here and there.

What a smell! This is my first time trying a flanders red, and I'm incredibly intrigued. Oaky, but not the vanilla bomb of so many BA stouts. Vinous, sweet fruit, and vinegar. This is a beer? Amazing!

This beer really takes your palate on a journey. Oak, slight metallic flavour, then syrupy sweet grapes and cherry, fading to tart vinegar, which gracefully lets the oak and fruit take me to the finish.

Light-bodied, bubbly carbonation, and slight stickiness in the mouth.

Quite the beer. Belgium keeps impressing me.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Peculier Pub tulip on 1/29/13

Best Before: 05/01/2014

Dark copper color with ruby highlights. One and a half inch head fills the upper portion of the glass. Billowy, uneven retention and raised patches of lace.

Acidic aromas, dark cherry, damp oak, hints of blackberry jam, herbal hops and notions of spiced bread. With each sip, sourness and dark fruit juice wash o'er the palate. The sourness falls away pretty quickly leaving a robust, jammy fruit middle which, by some stroke of talent or luck, isn't very sweet. Undercurrents of jam-ready bread notions. Musty oak lingers at down times in flavor. The feel is brisk what with the shot of sour and ample carbonation, despite the body being of moderate heft. Clean, slightly oaky finish.

I am not the most eloquent or well versed on such beers; this is just mighty tasty.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

A- Pours a reddish black color with a small 1 finger head. Good lacing throughout

S- Has a yeasty aroma with some sour fruit smells as well.

T- Wow this is tasty It starts out with a nice sweet raspberry flavor and then moves on to a tiny bit of bitterness/sourness and then finish's with a nice pear flavor

M-Medium to full bodied with decent carbonation

D-Overall i was not expecting this brew to taste this good. It had just the right amount of sour and sweet fruit flavors and a nice bitter funk to it. I love this brew and will get it again. I see why this is 5$ a bottle. Alittle steep but for a brew this good ill pay it. Def. pick this up if u can or trade for it!

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into an Affligem Goblet.

Appearance- Beautiful amber color with no sediment floating around. Little to no head, but a slight ring around the top.

Smell- Oak, vanilla, tobacco, cherry, yeast, some malts. Absolutely beautiful.

Taste- Cherry, vanilla, malts. Some oak is present. Not to sour. Very well balanced.

Mouthfeel- Nicely carbonated. Very smooth, not too resinous.

Overall- This is a beautiful beer. All around very well balanced. I'll be buying this again.

Notes from 4/30/2011

A- Clear ruby red, brownish pour. Finger width creamy eggshell head. Lacing sheets the glass and won't let go.

S- Red wine vinaigrette, little bit of wet blanket funk. Cherries, apple skins, cinnamon and brown sugar. Vanilla and oak meld it all together.

T- Vanilla, brown sugar, apples, sweet cherries. Tart vinegar, almost like a war head candy. Lemons and a little funk.

M- medium bodied, high carbonation adding a prickle to the tongue as it tries to handle the sour and sweet.

O- Can't go wrong with this. This is a "love it or hate it" style and I think I'm a lover.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into little hotel glasses. The beer was more brown than red and had an off-white almost brown foam. The smell was sour and had a hint of vinegar aroma (better than it sounds).

This is one of the better tasting Flanders Reds I've had. The flavor was sweet with a sour after-taste. Absolutely perfect pairing of flavors.

Get this beer if you like sour ales. I'd recommend it even if you think you don't like the style.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

330 mL brown bottle, best before 10 months from now.

Dark mahogany brown, very clear brew with a small cap of tightly knit bubbles that leaves a bit of lacing.

Notes of ripe sour cherries, raisins, cloves and cinnamon melt together in a complex, spicy and tart aroma.

This is an intensely flavourful beer. A dominant cherry fruitiness, with hints of berries and green apples, is complemented by clove. Alcohol is definitely present and lends a pleasant warming sensation. Quite a sweet beer, reminiscent of port, but a mild cidery tartness leaves the palate refreshed. Finishes dry and spicy. Body is thin but silky and carbonation is moderately high.

Delicious.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle to tulip.

A: Pours a black cherry color with a very small head that dissipates quickly.

S: Strong vinegar smell up front, followed by a sour cherry finish.

T: Starts with huge sour cherry, much more than the smell leads on. Not really any vinegar in the taste and finishes fairly sweet.

M: light bodied with huge carbonation that fizzes in the mouth, and finishes slightly dry.

O: My first sour and I like it a lot, little bit different but very good.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Well, this is my first real sour, and it is fantastic. I'm leaving some room in my score because I need more experience to give too high of a score. I will be coming back to this review when I've had a few more sours. This beer pours a beautiful red brown that looks incredible in my St. Bernardus glass. The aroma is tart, hinting at the sour cherry flavor. The flavor is big sour cherry with an underlying oakiness. It is fairly close to a sour cider that has been aged in wood barrels. There are flavors of great fruit vinegar. The feel is silky and mildly bracing. It's the best fruit flavor in a beer that I've ever tasted. I'm extremely tempted just to give higher scores now.

4.48/5  rDev +9.5%

Clear, beautiful dark ruby hue, there is also a hint of coppery-brown. The beige head reached a solid finger in height of foamy bubbles. I am impressed with the head retention; it slowly faded to islands of bubbles that lasted for the whole consumption. The lacing was bountiful, it looked like ripped wallpaper. This is a great looking beer. The nose is doughy with sweet/sour undercurrents, port wine, a kiss of fruitiness, oak notes too. The aroma is potent and thus inviting. It is too unique not to want to take a sip. So I do. After the first drink my initial reaction was simple: yum. The palate is very tasty and amazingly well rounded; the tartness is tremendously refreshing; the cookie dough is found behind the sourness. This is opposite of the nose. I like it. The wine-like features are soft, sweet, and earthy. The fruitiness was a basket of pears, cherry filling, and muted plums/raisins. Almonds. Wood. All in all, the palate is complex. The finish is pillow soft, very lazy and long lasting. Flemish Sour Ale is a style of beer I really dig and Duchesse de Bourgogne is a damn good (if not great) representation of the style. The carbonation is lively but the bubbles feel small, almost like nitrogen, how weird! All I can say is the mouthfeel is fantastic; there is also good bulk on the tongue. The drinkability is magical; I had to fight myself from sailing through my 11.2 ounce bottle (which was purchased in Iowa City). The alcohol content is ideal as well. I think this is a beer that every serious beer drinker should try at least once. I need more!

The only drawback, I get a bad case of the burps and they aren’t good burps like hops burps. Burp!

4.48/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

MEDIUM SOUR.

This beer is very much like a fruit lambic. The color is a dark red, and pouring shows lots of tiny bubbles, like most lambics.
The difference would be a more dry lambic, it is not continually sweet, it starts sweet and finishes dry. Also, it is somewhat sour. It is sour on the nose, but when drinking it is not a very sour beer, although you can taste some berries and cherries in it.
Great beer for a hot summer day, but also strong.

4.48/5  rDev +9.5%

This is a delicious beer. Nice sour cherry aroma with a little bit of yeast and horse blanket. A lovely reddish brown color. The taste is wonderfully balanced - a little sweet up front, but it dries nicely. I get lots of fruit and yeast in the flavor, but not the tomato undertones that some people report. Overall, a more approachable sour red than Rodenbach, which I also like. I'm glad that I bought a four pack.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This is my first sour so I have nothing to compare it to. But I really enjoyed this beer. I would definitely purchase it again. Very refreshing & complex. I will have to experiment more with this style.

4.48/5  rDev +9.5%

I was intrigued by the “Flemish Red” on the menu at The Blind Tiger, and this beer blew me away. Looked almost like a hazy glass of port – a beautiful dark ruby color – but for the slight head – less than 1 cm of white sparse foam which laced nicely down the sides of the tulip glass. My entire table insisted that it smelled of vinegar, and it’s true that the primary note in the nose was basalmic red wine vinegar, but I also got Granny Smith and sherry. (My buddy Zack kept saying, “Yeah, but it’s a beer that smells like a salad.”)

Unbelievable complexity. I had no idea what the ABV was, but I was sure of two things: I could drink this all night, and if I did, I wouldn’t make it to work the next day. Tart & tannic, the Burgundy Duchess took me on a rollercoaster of taste starring sweet and sour red fruit. I don’t know what else exactly, but there was an earthiness and a floral element to boot. Again, I was blown away. A dry finish to what could have been a pucker-inducing glass, as well as an alcohol content masked by the sourness, only add to its high marks. Not something I would drink every night (or would I?), but an amazing treat for when I’ve been good.

4.48/5  rDev +9.5%

This one was a gusher! Exploded upon opening, so I think I lost about a third of the bottle. On to the review...

L: Deep ruby brown with an off-white head which really sticks around.

S: Cherry, sour grapes, wine, slight alcohol.

T: Absolutely wonderful. Massive vinous quality at first, which is underpinned with green apple, brown sugar, cherry and dried fruits. Wonderfully sweet and sour - it almost has a sour candy taste. Sweet, bready malts build as the drink goes on, but it's all about the beautiful sourness. Such a complex yet clean taste. There's also a slight citric quality, which is mainly lime. There's a nice kick of alcohol too.

M: A thick, smooth feel with slight carbonation. This quickly moves into dryness for a while afterwards.

Overall: What a fantastic beer. So multi-faceted yet brilliantly balanced.

4.48/5  rDev +9.5%

*I like it will buy it again*

the cork says exp date nov.2007

app: NICE, I poured it right into a duvel tulip, a 2 finger head. deep rich garnet ruby color kahki colored head.. its just pretty.

smell: sour, little dark viniger, some spiciness in the nose. I love this smell. I really do. something inviting and wamring about it.

taste: Yum Yum Yum. a little sweet and meek up front then mild sour tartness then more refined sweets, then booze on the breath like a nice post white wine sip. actually the soft fruity sweet finish reminds me a lot of a very mild white wine... little pepper in it to.
has a little spice and spritz in the back of the throat that reminds me of the way sparkiling cider that I had to drink on new years when I was young felt.

very balanced, very smooth then exciting then smooth again. I was a little worried that it would be a lot more sour than it is.. cause I have this big bottle all to myself. BUT its easy sailing.

mf: spritzy, alive.. I wish it was more carbonated. and or thicker.. I dunno. Its good.. Actually silky, thats it, I wish it was more silky.

drinakble?: very very drinkable.. the cider type spritz spice, slows you down a little.. also the feeling like drinking to much cider, that if you chugged vats of this you would have to sit down on the pot for a long time slows me down a bit.

OverAll: today was my 1 year day of joining BA, great beer to have as a reward. This is really great beer, and if you are scared of the whole wild beer sour tart pucker thing, no worries here. It is there but mild. I think some of the lady's might even love this one.

4.49/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - dark red cherry color with a off red head and lacing

Smell - rich and tarty for sure. Fermenting fruit smell to it, rich with cherries!

Taste - holy complexity and all over the place. Tart, sweet, sour, sweet. Cherries, delicious cherries

Mouthfeel - lots of carbonation and easy finish

Overall - wow was this a surprise and glad the bar tender referred it after their local beers were out. This beer is great!

4.49/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

330ml bottle, BB Nov 23/2013, served in a tulip

A - Dark brown, with 1" head that sticks around. Nice lacing.

S - Some malt, more sour than anything else. A fruity vinegar.

T - Jackfruit and kiwi off the top, then the sour comes in. Pretty complex for such a seemingly light brew.

M - Beautiful. Kind of chewy, dense. Good medium-high carbonation.

O - Great sour.