Duchesse De Bourgogne | Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Liked:
4.15/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 4,280 |  Reviews: 1,545

Finally got around to reviewing this classic of the style. Had a bottle at the Brick Store poured into the appropriate glassware. Poured red without much head or lacing, but still pretty to look at. Sweet and sour aromas of apples and cherries and a lightly acetic quality. The taste has that same sweet/sour combo as its main thread of flavor. Added to that are flavors of spiced cherries, a bit of oaky woodiness, and a developing creamy sweetness with a hint of bitter tannins right at the finish. Mouthfeel is creamy and soft and a bit sweet. This is on the low side in the sour spectrum that this style encompasses. Very nice, if not quite as complex as some others. Still, relatively easy to find and a solid brew.

Pours a clear brown with a reddish hue. Flavor is sour. Hoooie! I love it. Kind of an antiseptic edge to it. But it's nice and smooth. Feel has a fairly biting carbonation that hits quickly and leaves. Liquid is kind of sticky yet smooth. This is a pretty good example of this style. If you aren't ready for the sour, don't bother coming at all for this one.

I will preface this review by saying I didn't like this beer one bit. I enjoy the pure lactic sourness of a Berliner Weisse but the acetic character was a deal-breaker here. That said I will review to style, not to prejudice.

Appearance - An orange color with slight amber and brown tinges to it rests beneath a prodigious three and a half finger head of pure snow white. Obviously high carbonation keeps the head cap there, but the lacing isn't really that spectacular.

Smell - Whoo. Acetic city man. I smell a cidery acetic character almost to the exclusion of all else. I can detect a lactic lemony sour flavor I recognize from berliners.

Taste - The cider vinegar again takes a dominant position, squeezing out the lactic acid from the first sip. Once I take a few more I can tell there's more here than the acetic acid, but I'm not sure I like it because of the harsh vinegar character. There's the aforementioned lactic sourness and an accompanying lemon flavor over a lightly bread and biscuity malt. Sour fruit, especially cherries comes in midway. There's a sweetness and a metallic taste that enter during the finish with a lime-like sour note, some red wine vinegar, a vinous twang, and a hint of alcohol and spice.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel would probably be rather thick and unpleasant if not for the enormously carbonated nature of the beer. I take a sip and rather than getting liquid, i is mostly bubbles and foam by the time I swallow it.

Drinkability - For me not high at all. For the style this beer is right on, so medium I suppose.

I will continue to try different sours since flanders reds are supposedly very acetic compared to the rest. This one is not very appealing to me however. Time will tell whether or not I like brett character any more than acetic acid.

Back story: If you need something to put your easter eggs into this will work!
appearance: dark yet clear, head white/lightbrown thin small bubbles whoooa!
Smell: balsamic vinegar
Taste: vinegar, berries, tart, apple cider
Mouth feel: filmy medium body average carbonation
Overall: good however not sure you could drink more than one in one sitting, very vinegary very tart does have some sweetness but finished with a zing.
Wham Bam

A quaint little 250ml bottle, with a dark label of Renaissance/mediaeval appearance. BB: 11-02-06. Purchased in Brussels September 2004, so it has been aged a little in the bottle. The head was not large in my chalice glass, but seemed to fizz with large bubbles gripping the sides of the glass, whilst the centre of the beer's head was patchy. Later, swirling it steadily in the glass, the head gets better, and thicker. Nevertheless light brown walls of lacing stuck nicely. The beer's colour is a rich garnet, deep red, almost like some red wines, but with much more depth and richness. It is an impenetrable black cherry/rose brown, and quite delicious looking. The aroma surprised me exceedingly--I was expecting some wine notes, but the tannic acidity made me stop a second and remember that this is a beer. Incredible. I detected a little sourness in the aroma, but mostly the red wine and sugary malt. Other hints of oaky muskiness, yeast, raspberries, black cherries and a smell I cannot quite place, whether particular to Belgian Red Ales or not I do not know, as it is my first try of this style. I have to say it is akin to sharp blue cheese, or old cheddar. I also detect some celery salt and seasoning salt, balsamic vinegar, black currant and port. Very complex, I could sniff the aroma all day. The malt smells aged, similar to the smell of a beer glass not washed for a couple of days. The taste is immediate sourness, sharp and bold. Tart does not quite describe it. Sour-soother candies. After that hit come some candied apple, oak, iron, must, tannins, and at the very end the candy malt really balances out with the yeast for a surprisingly drinkable finish. The taste reminded me a little of a lambic faro. The aftertaste is fresh malt, a dash of dryness, and the everpresent sourness starts to fade into a pleasant candied cherry flavour. For all its flavour the taste is not overly complex, the acidity and sharp bite of sourness really dominate, and the oak and yeast only play a background role to that. Still, this is a remarkably different treat; a nice change from the ordinary. The body is medium, and the taste lingers for quite some time on the palate. Some would find this far too sour, but I find the sugary tartness delicious. This has to be tried at least once by all beer-lovers, (and wine lovers).

11.2oz. bottle served in my ST tulip. Best before 10-07-09 indicated on the label (whoops). Pours a hazy chestnut brown with a loose, one inch, tan-colored head embedded with tiny ringlets. Burgundy highlights are revealed when backlit, and head eventually settles into a solid quarter inch cap revealing porous bands of lacing. Nose is very rich and complex - tart fruit, a little vinegary, a hint of vanilla and a vinous quality; somewhat reminiscent of a cabernet. There also seem to be traces of spice (cinnamon and...) and cork intermingled with the other aromas. Taste consistent with nose - distinctive aromas coalesce nicely into a complex brew; maybe with some traces of wood expressed in the flavor profile, as well as muted atomic fireballs at the finish. Mouthfeel is light-medium (but closer to light), with an even carbonation level that falls shy of lively and a finish that falls just short of semi-dry. Having never had this before, I can't tell if it's really past it's prime, but I have to say that I found it interesting and complex - a nice introduction to sours for those new to the style in my opinion.

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe