Duchesse De Bourgogne | Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 4,383 |  Reviews: 1,567
3.62/5  rDev -12.8%

pours a clear brown with a small tan head, and little to no lacing.

smell is of wild yeast, some malt, and dark fruit.

taste is a bit watery, slightly sour, a little sweetness in the back, dark fruits and cherries, malt, and salmon berry, ends a little tart.

2.5/5  rDev -39.8%

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle into a snifter.

Appearance is a clear dark ruby shade of red with a one inch thick cream colored head with lots of tiny carbonation bubbles. Surprisingly leaves some great looking lacing.

Aroma is mildly vinegary in a good way, some notes of oak, cherry-like tartness, and a mild sweetness along with some leathery funk.

The taste is initially quite sweet followed by a mild sour that is more funky than anything. Vinegar notes from the aroma are no longer present. Tart cherries are certainly there. The sweetness here is interesting as it shows itself initially then is overtaken by the funk only to return again in the finish even stronger than it started. I wouldn't mind a bit more sour in this one, it might be a perfect score then, but it gets it done nicely.

Mouthfeel is medium-light in body, with an extremely creamy and soft carbonation. Perfect.

Easily the best Flanders Red I've tried. It's somewhat expensive, but totally worth it. I would like to get another bottle of Rodenbach Grand Cru to compare with since that was the first Flanders Red I'd ever had.

4.64/5  rDev +11.8%

This was my first Flemish Sour, and it really grew on me. Poured to darlk brown with hints of red, and a thick tan head that lasted for the whole drink and left excellent lacing. The aroma was very funky, reminded me of those old Paz Easter Egg Coloring kits where you drop a colored tablet in pure vinegar. I was afraid of what I would be drinking next. To my great surprise, the taste was excellent. It was sour fruit, and at first caught me off guard, but I quickly adapted. Finish was dry, sour and warming. I bought this in a 4pack, and was concerned that I may have over-bought. Now, I know I will be heading back for more.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

On tap at Global Brew. Smells of sour fruit, vinegar, earth. Deep ruby color with an inch thick head. Flavors of red wine, wood, sour cherry, subtle funk. Finishes clean. A very approachable sour and a good place to start if you're just getting in to them.

GLASS: Chimay Goblet
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Deep, dark, ruby red liquid. Much like the blood of the Duchesse. One finger head of creamy tan foam. Truly excellent retention and great lacing.

Smells amazing! Deep tart fruit smells. Lots of green apple and black cherries. Not quite ripened peaches. Scent of almonds/marzipan. Hints of underlying gingerbread spiciness. Slight touch of vanilla.

This is such a phenomenal tasting sour (flemish red). Big cherry taste, sour and sweet, at the same time. Huge notes of green apple. Nice big presence of black currants. Nice woody/earthiness, here, also. Hints of oak and vanilla.

Extremely smooth and creamy in body, like a mouthfeel of rolling fine silk. Carbonation is perfect, with tiny, tiny bubbles.

This beer is so perfect. If it were Napoleon's Army invading my mouth, my taste buds would have no choice but to surrender.
I could drink this for weeks at a time and be perfectly satisfied, with no other options.
Excellent!

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

2.64/5  rDev -36.4%

11.2oz brown bottle from Florian's. My first Flemish Red. Dark brownish-red body with ruby-red highlights and a half an inch of light tan head. Smells acidic (like vinegar) with hints of fruit. Tastes acidic and fruity, like a raspberry maybe? After a few sips, a yeasty character starts to show too. Medium-bodied. Not sure what to think of this one... I'm sure it's to style and great for what it is, but I just can't get past that vinegar-like quality, which hurts the taste, smell, and drinkability... Call me unsophisticated and inexperienced, and compared to some I may be, but I am just not a fan of this one, sorry. At least I only ot an 11.2oz.

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

We like sour beer. Sour beer is good. This is only slightly sour. The balance just favors a fresh apple, cherry and red plum fruit that would make this suitable for mixed company.
At first the aromas are just steely and clean but as it warms up there is a pronounced apple brandy scent with notes of ginger snap on the side. The texture is fizzy and cleanly sweet with more fresh fruit essences on the way down. medium-bodied and complex, with shifting layers of damp earth, barrel fermented pickles, caramel apples and burned slate in the background. Very drinkable hooch.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

3.53/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

L: deep mahogany color, lacing tan head
S: tart fruits
T: very tart, acidic, not as sour as I imagined
F: long finish, I find it unpleasant
O: I rated to style, but this is a drainpour for me

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%

Large straw colored bubbly head. Lacing is spotty. Brew has is a nice clear burgundy color.

Light green apple tartness. Some light peach and apricot.

Smoothly (heavy) carbonated, surprising judging by the head. Flavors are intricate and blend well. Lots of peach, apple, and pear. Bitterness is slight, burn is none, and bite is slender.

A bit all over the board, but recommended. A nice well distributed Sour. Relaxing and unique for a Friday after a busy week.

3.18/5  rDev -23.4%

Was recommended to me by a gal at By The Bottle.. so hear it goes... poured in a tulip.

- Bubbly creamy colored fizz... leaves a nice steady finger of head... dark ruby copper color, clear.. red... each and every bubble is of such uniform size... interesting,.

- Esters, plum, fig, vinegar... slight straw funk.. sweet.. almost minty..

- Interesting and very sweet. Light tartness, vinegar... syrup.. esters.. plum, fig, prune.. light woody notes, oak perhaps..

- Sticky sweet... very carbonated.. almost too bubbly. Light bodied..

- Overall a tad too sweet for my taste.. would like it to be a lot more sour... and it is a tad over-carbonated. Would like it better I think if more sugars were devoured and made into a 9% flemish. I bet it would taste a lot better.

3.18/5  rDev -23.4%

Reviewed 10/10/2008 (bottle Exp Date 12/09):

Pours a brown-reddish colored body, with a tannish head, small, and lastingish. Has a sour dark fruit aroma, alcoholy. Fruity sweet taste. Very fizzy. Not as sour as it smells. Light fruity, appley. A little flat. Light taste. Might be better w/food.

4.98/5  rDev +20%

2.36/5  rDev -43.1%

Nice Red hue to this brew. But either I had a bad batch or what, I don't know. My first taste of this beer was a taste of a sweet and sour wine flavor. Through out the whole glass of beer, I got a sweet rasin flavor, followed with a sour after taste. No thanks to his brew!

3.44/5  rDev -17.1%

from arrowine

big arty green bottle that emitted a musty aroma of port and masala wine. the beer poured a beautiful clear burgundy, though it didn't hold much of a head (not nothing, but minimal lacing and only a collar). the nose from the glass was equally complex and winey as from the freshly uncorked bottle: reminded me of my mother's chicken masala. a friend and i agreed that there was definitely a meat dish of some sort in there

actually drinking it was a bit of a bonerkill. so incredibly sweet, with little of the sour belgian character i was hoping for (my only experience with with style previously was a rodenbach, so my standards are perhaps artificially high). actually tasted like cranberry-apple cider, with only a hint of that sourness i longed for. to top that off carbonation was sparse so the perception of sweetness was enhanced further. dissappointing

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe