Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings!

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Reviews: 1,492 | Ratings: 4,084
4.68/5  rDev +14.4%

Best by 27-07-10

A - Ruby reddish brown with a fluffy off white head that doesn't hang around very long but leaves a nice lacing.

S - Dark cherries and alcohol. Almost a port smell. A bit sweet at the end.

T - Oh wow. That is really good. Why have I waited so long to try this beer? Cherry and grape with a malty sweetness. Amazing flavor. The tartness and sour is there but I wish it were more. If it was more sour it would get a 5 easy.

M - Great tingly carbonation and good body.

D - Very, very drinkable.

4.66/5  rDev +13.9%

I simply can't say enough good things about this style of beer since having first tried it recently when I tasted Monk's Café Flemish Sour Red Ale. Today I went on a hunt for more Flanders Red Ales and I came up with a few, one being this Duchesse De Bourgogne.

A - This beer is a very appealing red color.

S - When I opened the bottle, there was definitely a nice smell. But now that I am drinking it from the glass I can't really smell it - perhaps my taste buds are overwhelmed by the general deliciousness of the beer?

T - Fruity, refreshing. Not overwhelming, somehow quite right, but on the whole totally unique (and I think that's the style more than this particular brew).

D - Dangerously drinkable! Refreshing! Wow...

4.65/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a snifter.

A – Small head, but great retention. Maybe a quarter inch of pancake batter-thick froth, and the bubbles just keep on gushing from the bottom of the snifter, like CocaCola. Lacing is strong, as well. The color of the actual liquid is also like soda, dark and cloudy and reddish. (Update: I just wrote the rest of this review, and the bubbles are still gushing up from the bottom. Jeebus!)

S – Funkier than I expected, almost like with wild yeast. Definitely some blackberries and sour raspberries in there. Intriguing and unique.

T – Yikes! The shortest millisecond of bitterness (following the aroma) is immediately overpowered by sweet fruitiness. Still raspberries, but not sour at all, for most of the swallow. Towards the end, though, the sourness comes back, and lingers long afterwards. Maybe some pear flavor, too, gently.

M – Lovely. This is the mouthfeel I want in a Belgian. Creamy but not chewy, not like a stout, but with a strong presence and tight carbonation.

O – Terrific. I am enthusiastic about this one's uniqueness. I like the surprise of the sweetness after the funky aroma. I like watching the bubbles (which are still going!). I like that this beer has strong opinions about itself, and is not afraid to share them.

A - Mahogany brown, half finger head. No lacing

S - Vinegar, cherry, granny smith apples

T - More vinegar and a strong apples and cherry - very much like the nose. Very tart.

M - Smooth, and easy to drink. Wouldn't think that a vinegar nose would go down as easy as it does.

O - My first intro to the Flanders Red Ale as far as I know. Very solid, really enjoyed this one. It's a sipper, but at the same time I think I could drink a second one. Would like to try more of this style.

4.49/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

330ml bottle, BB Nov 23/2013, served in a tulip

A - Dark brown, with 1" head that sticks around. Nice lacing.

S - Some malt, more sour than anything else. A fruity vinegar.

T - Jackfruit and kiwi off the top, then the sour comes in. Pretty complex for such a seemingly light brew.

M - Beautiful. Kind of chewy, dense. Good medium-high carbonation.

O - Great sour.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

delicious sour red from the Flanders region of Belgium. The sweet and sour creates a delicious feel on the tounge and goes down smoothly. Hop bitterness is minimal if at all with the sour shining through. A classic example of the Flanders style and worth looking out for.

4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

What can you say about this great beer? Opening a bottle is always a reason to call friends and share the joy. And it is very easy to finish a bottle and move onto another...and another...and another.

It pours a brownish-red. While the smell is good, the taste is like a complex explosion. Every sip brought something different to the tongue. It ends with a clean, wine-like dry finish - just bordering on sharp. If you don't like any sweet/fruit taste, avoid this beer.

2.67/5  rDev -34.7%

11.2oz bottle poured to snifter. Best by date of 03-10-09

Found it at the back of my fridge, obviously quite old.

A - Pours a muddy reddish brown. Not too much head

S - Pretty strong smell, clearly sour. Almost vinegary. A touch of sweetness on the smell as well.

T - It all goes wrong here. Can taste the cherries a bit, but mostly pretty pungent sourness. Vinegar here too. Too much sweetness.

M - Not bad, but a little sticky on the back of the mouth. Light carbonation.

O - Wish this one hadn't gone lost in the back of my fridge. I think the lesson is that the best before date has a lot of merit and don't age it too long. Sorry to give such a poor review.

4.27/5  rDev +4.4%

S: Single 11.2 ounce bottle from shelve of local beer section in natural market. It was the last bottle. I thought about picking it up last week during a haul, but hesitated due to the price tag. Luckily she was still there when I returned and a friend of mine who is a local distributor sang her praises.

Appearance: Darkish red ( sadly the tulip style glasses i used were a very dark glass, its possible my perception of the color could be off due to this.) Very frothy voluminous white head.

Smell: As this was aged in oak casks for a bit i could definitely smell notes of that.

Taste: Exceptionally complex, with a very mild bitterness and slight sour acidity. I sipped on this with dinner and finished off with pairing it with fruit later. This beer pairs amazing with fruit, especially pineapple.

Mouthfeel: slightly carbonated in texture, but almost smooth like a cider. the froth on the head is composed of very fine bubbles.

Overall: Definitely a win! I will definitely add this beer to my rotation of Belgians as it deserves no less.

4.34/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured into snifter. Little head, lacing shaped like the eye of Sauron. Looks black until held to light, then a murky red like a fine old piano.

Smells of vinegar, dark fruit, and soft malts.

Tastes tart and delightfully sour. Vinegar is now tempered with plumb, grape and cherry.

Feels a little dry, puckers the throat just a bit. Swallows tart, but does not linger or cause too much pucker.

First sour beer & first red ale I ever tried, and still the best. Not as sharp as Cuvee, not as overly saccharine as Delirium and Founder's Rubaeus (for comparison) might be. Not unlike a Lindeman's lambic, but more deserving the title of "beer." Sour beer is simply not for everyone, but for those who don't mind a mistress with snarl, Duchesse is among the most delicious of beers.

4.32/5  rDev +5.6%

Clear tawny red/brown with a sedate tan head.
Sourish malty nose, somewhat like a confectioner's shop.
Medium smooth body.
Hits your tonue with a quick sweet / sour flavor. Very candylike. Citrusy up front like a demented lemonade. Smoothly transitions and leaves your mouth with a fruity syrupy flavor that hangs around for the next sip.

4.04/5  rDev -1.2%

I was suspiciou at first of this beer. I am not generally a fan of Sours, but this one won me over. Very smooth and crisp. Has a nice sour taste and a full body but without the tartness of many sours. This is a beer that will not pucker your mouth with its tartness. it has a surprisingly sweet finish to it and is imminently drinkable. Even more the aroma is not overwhelming like many other sours.

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Appeared dark amber with a strong, smooth frothy one-finger head that shrank but never totally dissipated during the duration of the taste. Smelled strongly of apples, sour cherry, some sweet dark fruit, and a little yeast. The taste centered on apples, pears and a little sour cherry- very strong on the sour apple flavor. A champagne-like effervescence filled the mouth until the very end. This beer is highly carbonated. Very good drinkability, a nice red sour-style and I would definitely drink a few if I had more.

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into my Dogfish Goblet.

Appearance: Dark red/burgundy with a quickly dissipating white head. Little lacing on the glass.

Smell: Smells like a great sour: balsamic and vinegar up front. Also tart red fruit and musty grape.

Taste: A really great, well balanced sour: oak, vinegar, tart red fruit, balsamic, and wine-like grape. A nice sour, mouth-puckering taste overall. Very well balanced, with a lot going on.

Mouthfeel: very crisp, dry, sour, and refreshing. Medium body and medium carbonation. Long finish.

Overall: A really great Belgian style sour ale. Nice balance of sour, tart, and fruity. Would definitely buy again.

3.8/5  rDev -7.1%

Best berfore 1-10-11

Poured this one into my trappist glass. The beer was burgundy, brown w/ red highlights. There was a wisp of cream foam around the perimeter of the beer. Looked good in the wide mouthed glass, especially with the sun overhead.

Duchesse had a good aroma with cherries, rasberries, pie crust and sweet fruit all coming through in the nose. I didn't notice much vinegar or oak in this bottle.

I got a lot of cherries, rasberry fruit juice in the taste with just a hint of tart and vinegar. There was a fair amount of sweetness towards the end, but finished pretty clean.

Mouthfeel was very good, with proper carbonation and a light body.

Overall, I enjoyed this particular serving more than the other bottle I had about a year ago, which tasted more like vinegar and old stale wine to me, this serving may have been fresher as it was cleaner and presented with more fruit sweetness.

2.19/5  rDev -46.5%

I bought this beer as part of a mixed six pack on a recommendation from a friend. I had high hopes for it since I have a fixation on Belgian beers. Unfortunately though I was really disappointed. It's one of the few premium beers that I sincerely disliked.

For me the flavor is far too cloying and sweet. It tasted similar to a heavy sweet wine rather than beer. Although I did enjoy the after taste. The lingering flavor is very nutty, almost coffee like- which I would attribute to the oak casks. Although the color is very appealing and the smell is fairly pleasant and spicy I did not like the lack of carbonation. It gave the beer a syrupy quality that I did not enjoy. Definitely a sipping beer, but my husband and I had a hard time finishing one 11.2 ounce bottle between the two of us.

However, if you enjoy very sweet beverages you might appreciate this beer.

4.51/5  rDev +10.3%

Very well balanced beer. Do not try this beer if you are narrow minded. It probably falls outside of whatever classification you will try to fit it into.

Fabulous appearance. Deep bronzed ruby in color.

An eager foam gathers after a good pour. I used a small chardonnay-shaped glass and that worked.

A bit musty on the nose, with some sourness anticipated, indicated.

First on the tongue, a well balanced sweet and sour, good carbonation. I think the carbonation helped it.

Beneath the sourness of the yeast and the sweet light malt there are citrus notes underneath, some jammy cherry and peach, tangy notes with a light scatter of spicebox, cedar and leather. There really are several flavors here that combine well.

I will definitely try this one again soon if I can. I was surprised and impressed.

2.98/5  rDev -27.1%

11.2 oz poured into an oversized wine glass.

A. Pours a very dark ruby/brown but has some excellent red highlights. A little dark for me considering the style but it does have some nice lacing.

S. Sweet and sour vinegar aspects, has a nice balance. Not quite the sour punch I was hoping for but there is definitely sour cherry/red fruit smell present that I would expect. A little muted but it smells pretty good.

T. Damn. The taste brings the flaw that I was hoping to avoid from the smell. Sweet and sour but the sweetness wins out in the taste. Unfortunately I find the sweetness to be of a balsamic vinegar nature as opposed to dark red fruits, which would be more pleasing. Not enough tart cherry or acidity or drying characteristics to balance it out sufficiently.

M&D. Nice light mouthfeel, not too syrupy or anything but becomes a chore to drink after awhile for me. Would be a great introduction to those looking to explore beers with more sour qualities without being overwhelmed. Dont think I'll be buying much more of this however, a decent offering but when I'm looking for a flanders red ale I'd rather spend my money on some others over this one. (Rodenbachs and La Folie come to mind...)

4.23/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- a burning deep red. white foam lingers around the edge of the glass. this beer looks beautiful.

S- Sour. not an overpowering tart, but it feels deep. slight cherry, maybe un-ripe apple.

T- amazing. you feel the tartness right away. its a wonderfully complicated tartness that tastes of cherries and apple skin. theres a little malt that carries the tartness until a puckering dry finnish that fades into a light woodsy spiciness. this beer is complicated, long, and all those elements dance together beautifully.

M- thin, an almost passive-aggressive carbonation. carries the flavors well and then leaves you wanting more

O- love it. nothing about this beer tastes forced or artificial. its cohesive while being incredibly dynamic. one of the best flemish style beers ive had.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

A-deep reddy brown. Pours with a large off-white to tan head.

S-citrusy and bread-sweetness

T-tart, acidic, dark fruit sweetness

M-ebullient

O-yay. Very good. More complex than Rodenbach Classic with a good wallop of tartness to keep sour fans happy.

3.58/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

My first 'sour' beer, so take that as you will. So weird! It tastes like a lambic, a Lindemans' Framboise, for example, but without the raspberry. It smells and tastes a bit like vinegar and wine, too. Complex and tasty with something of a metallic finish.
Honestly, It's a lot to get used to. I can't really see someone drinking this on the daily considering the substantial taste and cost ($6.10/bottle) . I will try again if I can find it fresh. This bottle was a little past its prime, and was probably not properly 'cellared' in the supermarket for a good 9 months...
Cheers to Flanders and the Duchesse- try it! You'll certainly be trying something unique.

4.32/5  rDev +5.6%

This is my first beer of this style. This is a very fruity beer that has a dry aroma of fermented fruit. This beer was a recommended way of getting into Lambics. This is one of the most complex beers I have had in a while. It is definitely better as it warms through around 45 F. I was surprised by the complex mouthfeel. This is about as drinkable as wine in my opinion.

4.12/5  rDev +0.7%

Draught at Buckeye Beer Engine.

Amber-brown with a nice finger and a half pillowy head which turns into a thin lace.

Prunes and dates and raisins, oh my. Lots of delicious sweet dried fruit.

Taste is more of the same. Tons of sweet fruits plus a mild
tartness. A coppery taste in the middle, but the finish is pleasant with more of the sweet fruits, minor amounts of breast yeast, and some acidity. Some richer roasted flavors also come out in the finish. Further in to the glass, as I become accustomed to the forward flavors, I get some chocolate at the beginning as well.

Very dry finish. Nice and clean.

This is pretty drinkable save for the coppery middle palate, which dissipates further into the beer.

4.37/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle into a pint glass

A: Garnet brown in appearance with a light tan head that held strong and left a good bit of lacing.

S: Sour berries and stone fruit with burnt sugar and butterscotch.

T: This brew joins tart and sweet flawlessly. A sweet rush comes initially, followed by a tart twang that left me yearning for another sip.

M: A bit too much carbonation with a medium mouth feel.

D: Very drinkable, indeed.

1.15/5  rDev -71.9%

A union of red and black beneath roasted marshmallow foam.

Aroma is of eggnog, sweet and sour sauce, and vinegarrrr. This is one of those occasions where I'm absolutely certain that's what I'm smelling. But...I'm disgusted by it.

After taking a sip: feels like a cherry cola before I sense the taste. A sharp, sweet, super sour cherry sensation escapes nasally. Sugar up the ying yang. Thick vinegar overdrive. Gross.

Carbonation. Carbonation. More carbonation. It's a super carbonated cherry cola with a tang. I think this one was too much for me: overly sweet and funky. Couldn't finish it. Awful.

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe