Duchesse De Bourgogne | Brouwerij Verhaeghe

2.75/5  rDev -33.7%

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.69/5  rDev +13%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Today is special. Well, sort of. This is beer #200 for us! We have drank a lot of beers over the last two years, but this is a milestone I am excited about. I am also excited about a beer trade we got in the mail today thanks to Andy Crow, a craft beer lover from Iowa. He sent a ton of bottles we haven't had before, including a bottle of KBS from Founders. Thanks for the trade, Andy!

This beer sits on the shelf at Total Wine, but no one ever buys it. I was excited to see this bottle appear in a recent beer class at Total Wine, and was BLOWN away with the flavor. I remember nothing but sour flavors; lip sucking sour flavors in this bottle. You know me and sours. Also, I love the label. The duchess looks so proper sitting there. OK, let's drink. I can't wait!!!

In the Glass: The beer pours reddish-brown; almost looks like a brown ale to be honest. It leaves a nice thin tan head on top that just sits there. Not thick, but according to the label, you are to drink this beer cold. The beer also leaves a nice thin lace.

Nose: This beer even smells sour. Actually, to be honest, the beer stinks. It is so sour that it smells gross! But that is what a Flanders red is supposed to smell like. This is also a smaller bottle, so there isn't much in my glass. I wish they sold thees in bombers. Especially with such a low ABV. A second whiff leaves me those same sour fruity notes I was getting as I poured the beer. Let's drink!

Flavor: Oh. My. GOD! That isn't beer… that is heaven in a glass. Holy crap, that is good. I mean, GREAT. It starts almost mellow and boring, then the sour flavors hit and you are stuck sucking your lips for five minutes. Then, as the beer sits on the palate, it settles to a sweet drying finish. I just looked at the brewery on Google Maps. This place is TINY. The next time we are in Belgium I want to visit the brewery and see them making this stuff in person. I do have another week of vacation this year… maybe I will go to Belgium and get lost bouncing from brewery to brewery! This is a GREAT beer if you like sours.

Mouthfeel: The front of my palate is bored to tears, but the back of my tongue is dancing with flavor. The beer is not thick, but has a nice fluffy mouthfeel. One thing I find enjoyable with sour beers are their tendency to lose that powerful sour flavor as you drink. Not sure if my palate is getting used to the flavor or what, but it allows me to enjoy a sour beer with several different flavors throughout the course of a bottle. Like I said, I just wish the bottle was bigger!

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is great on this bottle. The sour flavor is there for a few swallows, but then a sweetness begins to set in and it becomes dry. With such a low ABV you could drink a ton of this stuff and never know you were drinking beer. I bet this, room temperature, would be amazing. Or, I just thought of this, with a splash of soda water. Make it a Sunday afternoon spritzer by the pool. Yummy!

I knew I was going to like this… and I like it more now than I did when I tried it in the beer class. Bravo to Brouwerij Verhaeghe. This is the only bottle from them on our list… I wonder what other beers they produce. Has anyone tried anything else from them? Oh well, this one is good enough for me to buy over and over again!!! Cheers.

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe