Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Duchesse De Bourgogne | Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Style: Flanders Red Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

Ratings: 4,303 |  Reviews: 1,551
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Beautifully red in color under a persistent ring of foam. Early effervescence quickly comes to a halt.

S- Scents of delicious fruit on the sweet but not cloying side.

T- Perfect level of fruit and sour components. Sweetness is perfectly restrained.

M- Pleasant puckering effect causes a desire to quickly revisit the next sip. Smooth drinking.

O- Glad that I broadened my horizons with this one, it's a really well rounded drinking experience.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Glass: Port City Belgian Style Snifter.

Appearance: Dark Reddish-Brown Mahogany. Aggressive pour produced 1 finger of head which dissipated in two minutes. No lacing. Loving the color!

Smell: Tart, slightly metallic, cherries are most prominent. A bit of alcohol smell.

Taste: Tart cherries mostly, slightly metallic aftertaste. Tiny bit of lemon sourness.

Mouthfeel: Light body, medium carbonation. No stickiness. Refreshing.

Overall: Probably a good beginners sour ... drinks like a tart cherry juice with just a bit of that funky sourness. Nice underlying sweetness.

4.49/5  rDev +8.2%

Appearance: Large, tan, beady bead, and a reddish brown body. Clear with the exception of some intermittent chill haze. Impressively, the head sticks around until the bitter end.

Smell: A tantalizing sweet and and sour smell, reminiscent of soy sauce, mixed with a tangy array of ripe red berries, dates, and plumbs. A bit of mocha can be detected as well.

Taste: Lick-your-lips tartness and savory umami dominate and satisfy. Sweet raspberry vinaigrette, juicy apples, and the dates and prunes promised by the bouquet are included in the complex, yet well-balanced flavor combo. Left me absolutely CRAVING more, and cursing myself for buying just one bottle.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Moderately high carbonation is unusual for the style, but brings a refreshing tanginess that can't not be appreciated. Smooth, yet slightly dry finish.

Overall: Filling, relaxing, fascinating, jubilant...you know when I start using adjectives that personify a beer, that I absolutely love it. Could be my new favorite. Don't tell my husband, but I might be in love.

4.49/5  rDev +8.2%

A - this belgian beer pours a dark rich mahogany color, with crimson highlights, atop sits a dark tan head maybe half a finger thick, and throughout streams plenty of swift carbonation

S - sour cherries big and up front, but not overpowering and not like cough syrup, a basic hoppy ale background with slight hints of vanilla

T - wow, a nice cherry/ale blend, great rich cherry flavor without beign gross liek the aforementioned cough syrup, something else, like a woodiness, of course *now* i look at the bottle and see that it was aged in oak casks, well ites apparent and delicious

M&D - smooth and easy down, flavorful and mouth coating fruitiness make this a dangerous brew, a moderate ABV saves it from a "one glass only and recork it" doom, phew! what a marvelous beer though, masterfully crafted

4.49/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Great starter sour. Not overly sour or bitter. Very light refreshing beer

4.49/5  rDev +8.2%

Appearance: Dark burgandy in color with a bubbly tan head.

Smell: Smell is awesome. Sour apple dominates the nose as well as cherry. It is a bit musky and tart and very complex like a good wine.

Taste: Very sweet at first and it finishes sour. Light malt flavor with hints of cherry, cranberry, and sour apple.

Mouthfeel/drinkability: Light carbonation and a great taste make this a must try.

4.48/5  rDev +8%

Clear, beautiful dark ruby hue, there is also a hint of coppery-brown. The beige head reached a solid finger in height of foamy bubbles. I am impressed with the head retention; it slowly faded to islands of bubbles that lasted for the whole consumption. The lacing was bountiful, it looked like ripped wallpaper. This is a great looking beer. The nose is doughy with sweet/sour undercurrents, port wine, a kiss of fruitiness, oak notes too. The aroma is potent and thus inviting. It is too unique not to want to take a sip. So I do. After the first drink my initial reaction was simple: yum. The palate is very tasty and amazingly well rounded; the tartness is tremendously refreshing; the cookie dough is found behind the sourness. This is opposite of the nose. I like it. The wine-like features are soft, sweet, and earthy. The fruitiness was a basket of pears, cherry filling, and muted plums/raisins. Almonds. Wood. All in all, the palate is complex. The finish is pillow soft, very lazy and long lasting. Flemish Sour Ale is a style of beer I really dig and Duchesse de Bourgogne is a damn good (if not great) representation of the style. The carbonation is lively but the bubbles feel small, almost like nitrogen, how weird! All I can say is the mouthfeel is fantastic; there is also good bulk on the tongue. The drinkability is magical; I had to fight myself from sailing through my 11.2 ounce bottle (which was purchased in Iowa City). The alcohol content is ideal as well. I think this is a beer that every serious beer drinker should try at least once. I need more!

The only drawback, I get a bad case of the burps and they aren’t good burps like hops burps. Burp!

MEDIUM SOUR.

This beer is very much like a fruit lambic. The color is a dark red, and pouring shows lots of tiny bubbles, like most lambics.
The difference would be a more dry lambic, it is not continually sweet, it starts sweet and finishes dry. Also, it is somewhat sour. It is sour on the nose, but when drinking it is not a very sour beer, although you can taste some berries and cherries in it.
Great beer for a hot summer day, but also strong.

4.48/5  rDev +8%

This is a delicious beer. Nice sour cherry aroma with a little bit of yeast and horse blanket. A lovely reddish brown color. The taste is wonderfully balanced - a little sweet up front, but it dries nicely. I get lots of fruit and yeast in the flavor, but not the tomato undertones that some people report. Overall, a more approachable sour red than Rodenbach, which I also like. I'm glad that I bought a four pack.

4.48/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This is my first sour so I have nothing to compare it to. But I really enjoyed this beer. I would definitely purchase it again. Very refreshing & complex. I will have to experiment more with this style.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.48/5  rDev +8%

I was intrigued by the “Flemish Red” on the menu at The Blind Tiger, and this beer blew me away. Looked almost like a hazy glass of port – a beautiful dark ruby color – but for the slight head – less than 1 cm of white sparse foam which laced nicely down the sides of the tulip glass. My entire table insisted that it smelled of vinegar, and it’s true that the primary note in the nose was basalmic red wine vinegar, but I also got Granny Smith and sherry. (My buddy Zack kept saying, “Yeah, but it’s a beer that smells like a salad.”)

Unbelievable complexity. I had no idea what the ABV was, but I was sure of two things: I could drink this all night, and if I did, I wouldn’t make it to work the next day. Tart & tannic, the Burgundy Duchess took me on a rollercoaster of taste starring sweet and sour red fruit. I don’t know what else exactly, but there was an earthiness and a floral element to boot. Again, I was blown away. A dry finish to what could have been a pucker-inducing glass, as well as an alcohol content masked by the sourness, only add to its high marks. Not something I would drink every night (or would I?), but an amazing treat for when I’ve been good.

4.48/5  rDev +8%

This one was a gusher! Exploded upon opening, so I think I lost about a third of the bottle. On to the review...

L: Deep ruby brown with an off-white head which really sticks around.

S: Cherry, sour grapes, wine, slight alcohol.

T: Absolutely wonderful. Massive vinous quality at first, which is underpinned with green apple, brown sugar, cherry and dried fruits. Wonderfully sweet and sour - it almost has a sour candy taste. Sweet, bready malts build as the drink goes on, but it's all about the beautiful sourness. Such a complex yet clean taste. There's also a slight citric quality, which is mainly lime. There's a nice kick of alcohol too.

M: A thick, smooth feel with slight carbonation. This quickly moves into dryness for a while afterwards.

Overall: What a fantastic beer. So multi-faceted yet brilliantly balanced.

4.48/5  rDev +8%

Smells like straight malt vinegar, doesn't tastes like it. Actually a little sweet.

4.48/5  rDev +8%

*I like it will buy it again*

the cork says exp date nov.2007

app: NICE, I poured it right into a duvel tulip, a 2 finger head. deep rich garnet ruby color kahki colored head.. its just pretty.

smell: sour, little dark viniger, some spiciness in the nose. I love this smell. I really do. something inviting and wamring about it.

taste: Yum Yum Yum. a little sweet and meek up front then mild sour tartness then more refined sweets, then booze on the breath like a nice post white wine sip. actually the soft fruity sweet finish reminds me a lot of a very mild white wine... little pepper in it to.
has a little spice and spritz in the back of the throat that reminds me of the way sparkiling cider that I had to drink on new years when I was young felt.

very balanced, very smooth then exciting then smooth again. I was a little worried that it would be a lot more sour than it is.. cause I have this big bottle all to myself. BUT its easy sailing.

mf: spritzy, alive.. I wish it was more carbonated. and or thicker.. I dunno. Its good.. Actually silky, thats it, I wish it was more silky.

drinakble?: very very drinkable.. the cider type spritz spice, slows you down a little.. also the feeling like drinking to much cider, that if you chugged vats of this you would have to sit down on the pot for a long time slows me down a bit.

OverAll: today was my 1 year day of joining BA, great beer to have as a reward. This is really great beer, and if you are scared of the whole wild beer sour tart pucker thing, no worries here. It is there but mild. I think some of the lady's might even love this one.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Cork reads exp. date 10/09.

Dark red pour, topped by a loud fizzy white head. Thick dense bubbles slowly fade away.

Aroma hits me before I even pour. Malt vinegar and tart cherries start my mouth watering.

A little more vinegary than I remember, but still, YUM. cherries come into play, and I do mean play. This is just a fun beer. A bit of dry roasted malts sweeten it up, and I don't detect hops anywhere in here. No idea what kind of yeast was used, but this tastes like a great wine had a baby with a delicious beer, and they named her little Duchesse. She grew up to hold a bird on one finger, and delight dancinwillie. The end.

Mouthfeel is great, very lively carbonation, and eternally refreshing. I could easily chug this beauty.

Overall, a tremendous example of what beer can be. Multi dimensional and bold, all while having a modest 6% ABV.

Stunning.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

11.2oz bottle, Bruery tulip, best by 10/6/12.

Gorgeous very clear red, cherry red. The head is a fairly thin, frothy tan that does seem to stick well to the glass.

Delicately acidic, like very fruity red wine vinegar. Cherry, raspberry, and cranberry all make an appearance, as does some good, honest sweet biscuit malt.

The flavors are a fuller realization of the aromas. Strawberry joins the mix and it seems like the better characteristics of rose champagne and sparkling cranberry juice are combined with beer. It has a lovely level of tannins that work to balance the sweetness in the absence of any obvious hopping. The sourness is pleasantly drying and tart.

Prickly carbonation is reminiscent of champagne, as is the tannic roughing of the tongue and drying of the mouth. One is left with little aftertaste, save a little acidity in the throat.

I love my first sour beer and Flanders Red Ale. Will power has kept me from having finished the glass already. While this sours might not be a go to, they are a new favorite. Duchesse is nothing extreme but very tasty.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Served from bottle into a Bell's tulip. Poured a deep reddish brown with a two finger off white head with a slight light tan hue that subsided to half a finger very slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, tart, cherries, raspberries, and subtle wood. The flavor was of sweet malt, wood, sour, tart, subtle earth, and raspberries. It had a medium feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall there is not a lot you can say bad about this brew. Once upon a time I saw this on the closeout section at Duckworth's, I drank the entire stock of 12 oz bottles they had. Oops... Definitely has an excellent and inviting aroma going on here and a great flavor to go along with that. Everything on this one just works really well together. A great example of the style if you ask me. An absolute must try for any sour fan out there if you have not already.

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe