Duchesse De Bourgogne | Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

4.1

Ratings: 4,251 |  Reviews: 1,538
4.18/5  rDev +2%

A - Dark red/pink/brown body beneath two fingers of foamy, fizzy, eggshell head and then excellent spotty lacing.

S - Tart cherries, red wine, belgian yeast and booze.

T - Sweet, sour and vinegary. Cherry, strawberry and alcohol are the predominant flavours.

M - Moderate to high in carbonation, light to medium bodied. Very tart and sweet.

O - Very refreshing and bloody delicious.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

(A) Pours clean. Maroon, deep ruby/red wine colors. Amply carbonated. White head that doesn't last.

(S) Smell has some funk to it. There is a lot of fruit like cherry and green and red apples. Smells sweet and has a touch of vinegar in it.

(T) Vinegar and a lot of cherry. Good amount of berries and cranberry. You almost get the dry musk coming off of the cherries.

(M) I thought it would have been a bit harsher given the nature of the brew, but it's very smooth and oily. Medium body.

(O) Very fruity and berry. Almost reminded me of a wine cooler, but good and more body.

4.42/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured into a 12oz tear drop @ Bier Stein on my Bday

A - Pours a super clear reddish brown w/ ruby highlights, tan 2 finger thick cap that leaves great lace

S - Smells of musty basement, cherry pie, tart, lemons, lots of Brett funk, plums, balsamic vinegar, apples, biscuits, oak

T - Tastes of sweet cherries, balsamic vinegar, cheery pie, lactic acid, oak, vanilla, Brett funk

M - Light/med body, sweet & sour, clean and dry finish, nice mde/high carbonation.

O - Still impressed, my favorite Flanders, lots of funk, good level of acetic acid, complex, drinkable, touch of oak.

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

Drinking Date Nov. 2nd 2011
Expiration: 03/13

Glassware: Tulip

Appearance: Dense brown with a red tinge; frothy beige head.

Smell: Very sweet and musky; fruity aroma maybe a little bread-like. Inviting smell

Taste: Sweet grape-ish flavor (wine-like); Tangy and fruity throughout. Not a lot of complexity or depth. Definitely redefines my box for beer tastes, though... Only the aftertaste had a little of the yeasty/malty flavor that reminded me of 'beer'. To me, it tasted like carbonated muscadine wine. (If you haven't had muscadine wine...It is similar to grape but with muskiness, more sweetness, and less acidity)

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied; highly carbonated.

Overall: I know this is supposed to be a standard for the style but I did not find a depth of flavor and I did not much care for the very sweet flavor it did have. Not a fan, but it was interesting to try. This was my first Flanders Red Ale, so nothing else to compare to.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

4.58/5  rDev +11.7%

I had it first on botte, then twice on tap. obviously, this was at different times, but from my recollection, they tasted similar once they got to temperature and both methods were divine.

A- Caramel brown, clear, nice head that dissipated quickly. looks comparable to a belgian dubbel

S- Slight malt with a mild sour funk. I thought it would be more sour in the taste, so I was slightly misled by the smell. Nothing fancy here for me, but still had a good aroma.

T- stunning. i could drink this beer all day, everyday. it goes down sooo smoooth. sour, sweet, malty awesomeness. great caramel flavor to accompany the mild sour flavor.

M- way too easy to drink. amazing.

O- I absolutely love this beer. the tap ran out at the local bar and my heart broke. thankfully i have bottles available when i can get some more petty cash. buy this beer, drink it, savor it, and share it with me.

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%

Was very surprised to see that I had not reviewed this previously. On tap at the Hudson Street Stackhouse.

The beer pours a reddish amber color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is very attractive, showcasing considerable cherry, vanilla, sweet tart and hints of chocolate. As good as this beer smells, it tastes even better. The flavor profile replicates the nose, but the cherry and sweet tart really come on strong. Also, I really like the hint of vanilla, wine and chocolate I'm picking up as well. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a long, tart, mouth puckering finish.

Just delicious, and probably the best example of how my taste has changed over time. At one time I found this beer barely drinkable, as it was just too sour for me. Now I think the level of sour in this beer is just right, and sometimes think it borders on being too sweet. Regardless, this is an outstanding beer, with an amazing amount of flavor given the 6% abv. This is the beer I think of when I think of a flanders red ale.

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe