Duchesse De Bourgogne | Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Style: Flanders Red Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

4.1

Ratings: 4,269 |  Reviews: 1,541

poured from 250ml bottle wrapped with a very attractive label graced with lovely artwork more like wine label.

Initial appearance was one of rich dark umber which upon further reflection showed deep ruby/mahogany highlights. The fine carbonation and off white head was a pleasant contrast to the dark brew that suported it's pillowy head. Decent well lasting lace.

The aroma was a rich amalgam of malt, raisiny fruit and remeniscent of candy corn. Another deep inhalation and I detected the acidic sour character that Flemish Reds are well known for. It made my mouth water for the tart sour pucker that it implied I would experience. Alas the reality fell short of my expectation.

The taste was a soft balance of syrupy malt and sour tart complimented by aged in oak woody flavor. Further sipping proved to emphasize it's sweet malt profile and tended to conceal the acidic tartness. This beer is an alltogether complex and remarkably well balanced beer but it was this very balance of sweet and sour which left me a tad dissapointed. A very fine and enjoyable beer but to my mind it did not have the refreshing and sour/tartness as say a Goudenband which has much more of the green apple "Jolly Rancher" taste that I crave. The mouthfeel was silky and pleasant with good carbonation but not overly effervescent. I had the Duchesse with a ginger honey chicken at a Vietnamese restaurant called The Mekong which, remarkably, had 2 pages of Belgian beers in their beer list. The restaurant is in Richmond VA. Should I review the restaurant...I wonder.

The aftertaste was was sweeter than I prefer in a Flanders Red but I would drink this beer again happily for it's own sake and the enjoyment that I would experience from it.

date coded ??-07-09, pours a deep a copper-brown w/ a fluffy off-white head which dissipates a bit quickly leaving a decent lacing behind in my snifter ; an interesting smell, a sourdough bread aroma at first, backed by apple and caramels with a cider vinegar note ; a sweet, tart, vinous flavor, tastes fruity and somewhat metallic , some cereal grain and a bit of toffee and darker fruit midway, but subtle, almost reminds me of wine or champagne, a very faint bit of herbal hop and wood present as well ; a light-med body, a funny feel, tho, i think it's pretty dry in the mouth, yet has a sweet taste, a good amount of co2 makes it almost thick ; an interesting brew, my first flanders, so have no comparison, but def. drinkable...

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe