Duchesse De Bourgogne | Brouwerij Verhaeghe

4.15/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 4,279 |  Reviews: 1,544
1.59/5  rDev -61.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1

1.6/5  rDev -61.4%

1.68/5  rDev -59.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I really wanted to like this. I have tried sour Belgian before and found it awful. It's a personal taste thing. This one is clearly more balanced than the other was (can't remember the name, but it doesn't matter) but not enough. The tart cherry is so overwhelming that it actually makes me shiver. Way too sour to enjoy. As soon as I'll finish this, I will need something sweet, so I shall have a glass of Fonseca Bin No. 27 Port.
Cheers!

1.69/5  rDev -59.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Expensive sweet tasting nastiness

1.7/5  rDev -59%

My only other example of this style has been Rodenbach's Grand Cru, which I loved. There was a space on the label of this one marked best before, but there wasn't a date. Did I get a bad or old bottle?

a: This looked appealing at least. It was a crystal clear coppery mahogany color. It poured with a medium sized, fizzy, off-white head that faded fairly quickly.

s: As expected, I got notes of sour, vinegary cherries. Unfortunately, this was intertwined with some gritty, saccharine sweet maltiness. Alone, either smell is fine. Together though, it was just a complete turn-off.

t: Same story here. I like sour edge, but the cloying artificial sweetner made this undrinkable to me. Maybe I need to revisit this one, but I'd have a hard time working up the courage.

m: The carbonation was fine, but the aftertaste was abominable. That combination of tart vinegar, cherries and malty Sweet and Low was too much for me.

d: I like sour beer, but this one just isn't for me. Strangely, it was just too sweet.

1.72/5  rDev -58.6%

awful taste of malt vinegar with weird sweetness to it. If this isnt a spoiled bottle there is something seriously wrong with the brewers cuz this is the worst beer I have drank including an infect Vanilla Noir from Prairie. I feel like this would work well poured onto an Itallian sub as dressing.

1.74/5  rDev -58.1%

Deep red-brown, like an old/oxidized red wine.

Winey nose of sour cherry, yeast, and aceto balsamico.

Hits first with acidity...definitely acetic acid (aka vinegar). Comes through afterward with quite sweet fruitiness, and a tiny bit of roasted malt as well. Highly carbonated. Finishes long but astringent.

Very much a love-it-or-hate-it beer, or perhaps an acquired taste. For someone like me whose background is in wine-drinking, this isfar too similar to a wine that has gone bad, what with the brownish red color and copious volatile acidity (acetic acid). I couldn't even manage to drink more than a few ounces, which is a tragedy given the care put into brewing this. Take my rating with a grain of salt, keeping in mind my biases.

EDIT: Come to think of it, reducing this in a pan on the stove could make an awesome sauce. In that context the vinegar-y flavors would be appetizing rather than offensive.

1.75/5  rDev -57.8%

1.75/5  rDev -57.8%

1.82/5  rDev -56.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

1.89/5  rDev -54.5%

Looks good... but look can be deceiving.

I guess i'm not the Flanders (ookeley dookeley) Red type of guy because the taste of this beer did NOT please me at all. I took 2 sips... ended in the sink.

My dog, who drinks anything didn't like it either... I guess he has the same tastebuds.

But it looks good....

1.91/5  rDev -54%

Poured into a Barbe chalice.

Look: Deep mahogany body with a cream colored head. A collar remains with little or no lacing.

Aroma: Vinegar, sweaty socks, sour grapes.

Taste: Sweetness runs underneath a woody, vinegar bomb. Sweaty gym socks galore.

Mouthfeel: Light.

Overall: I hate vinegar, so needless to say I pretty much do not like this beer or the style. Disregard my review as it is biased obviously.

1.91/5  rDev -54%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

Overwhelming vinegar and sourness made it difficult to drink.

1.93/5  rDev -53.5%

$20 a four pack and it is god awful...holy f'n s. This beer blows!!!

Tastes like worcestershire sauce and vinegar, would make a good marinade. I don't know how people come up with tart berries or plums, but to each there own.

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe