Duchesse De Bourgogne | Brouwerij Verhaeghe

4.15/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 4,278 |  Reviews: 1,544
1.72/5  rDev -58.6%

awful taste of malt vinegar with weird sweetness to it. If this isnt a spoiled bottle there is something seriously wrong with the brewers cuz this is the worst beer I have drank including an infect Vanilla Noir from Prairie. I feel like this would work well poured onto an Itallian sub as dressing.

1.74/5  rDev -58.1%

Deep red-brown, like an old/oxidized red wine.

Winey nose of sour cherry, yeast, and aceto balsamico.

Hits first with acidity...definitely acetic acid (aka vinegar). Comes through afterward with quite sweet fruitiness, and a tiny bit of roasted malt as well. Highly carbonated. Finishes long but astringent.

Very much a love-it-or-hate-it beer, or perhaps an acquired taste. For someone like me whose background is in wine-drinking, this isfar too similar to a wine that has gone bad, what with the brownish red color and copious volatile acidity (acetic acid). I couldn't even manage to drink more than a few ounces, which is a tragedy given the care put into brewing this. Take my rating with a grain of salt, keeping in mind my biases.

EDIT: Come to think of it, reducing this in a pan on the stove could make an awesome sauce. In that context the vinegar-y flavors would be appetizing rather than offensive.

1.75/5  rDev -57.8%

1.75/5  rDev -57.8%

1.82/5  rDev -56.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

1.89/5  rDev -54.5%

Looks good... but look can be deceiving.

I guess i'm not the Flanders (ookeley dookeley) Red type of guy because the taste of this beer did NOT please me at all. I took 2 sips... ended in the sink.

My dog, who drinks anything didn't like it either... I guess he has the same tastebuds.

But it looks good....

1.91/5  rDev -54%

Poured into a Barbe chalice.

Look: Deep mahogany body with a cream colored head. A collar remains with little or no lacing.

Aroma: Vinegar, sweaty socks, sour grapes.

Taste: Sweetness runs underneath a woody, vinegar bomb. Sweaty gym socks galore.

Mouthfeel: Light.

Overall: I hate vinegar, so needless to say I pretty much do not like this beer or the style. Disregard my review as it is biased obviously.

1.91/5  rDev -54%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

Overwhelming vinegar and sourness made it difficult to drink.

1.93/5  rDev -53.5%

$20 a four pack and it is god awful...holy f'n s. This beer blows!!!

Tastes like worcestershire sauce and vinegar, would make a good marinade. I don't know how people come up with tart berries or plums, but to each there own.

Apparently, this is a very good sour beer and even more apparently, I don't like sour beers. Seems to be the new thing, so I asked about "good" sours.
The aroma and taste are nasty. It's very similar to a special balsamic vinegar we have that is aged for 18 years and is delicious. But the vinegar is fabulous. This beer is not.
Again, it's probably excellent for the class, but I can't get past the overwhelming vinegariness.
Blech! (But I *will* finish it.)

2.01/5  rDev -51.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

I was excited to give this style a shot. This is my first experience with the Flanders Red. Looked very nice on the pour with a deep copper body and a very minimal white head that dissipated quickly. The smell-lets say a tad sour. Reminded me of the fruity flavors and strong scent of balsamic vineagar. The taste was sour cherries! It just blasts you right up front and them dissipates. The Duchesse is well carbonated which accentuates the sour flavor up front then swallows fairly clean. The sour was too much for me. I felt like I was drinking vineagar. I only managed 4-5 sips and was done. There is a lot of flavor in there but the sour/vineagar flavor was so overwhelming it was hard to enjoy everything this beer has to offer. Everyone should give this a shot, but you may learn like me that this flavor does not suit your tastebuds.

2.04/5  rDev -50.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe