Duchesse De Bourgogne | Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

4.1

Ratings: 4,268 |  Reviews: 1,540
4.21/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

8/22/15 Home

Bought this on a recommendation from a friend. Cracked it and the smell was very interesting when uncorked. Funk and more funk. Almost a old cheese kind of funk and sour. Once it settled, I reall got a nice sent of sweet cherry and a faint molasses aromas.

Pouring it was a whole other story. I lost a little faith with what looked like a dirty brown color pouring out. The head was ok and once it settled it looked a little more reddish brown and more desirable.

The taste was great. Sweet cherries mashed up into smooth heavenly mix. The oak is far in the background but there just enough. The sweet is very present and seems to build.

If you need to show someone what smooth means, have them drink this. Velvet pillow on your tongue.

Overall, great beer. Maybe the only knock would be a bit to far on the sweeter side but will definitely be keeping these in the fudge and self.

4.1/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 750ml green bottle.
Best by Dec 2008 according to the cork.

a: Deep mahogany to brown. Cream colored head fades to a thin layer. Nice lacing.

s: Smells of tart fruit, cherry in particular and cola.

t: The combination of coca-cola sweetness and cherry reminds me of a cherry coke. Light tartness balances the sweetness. Low acidity for the style.

m: Carbonation is lively which complements the style.
Light to medium body.

d: Typical drinkability for style. I would drink a few if the sweetness didn't catch up to me. The sourness is more subdued than the other Flanders Ales I've tried. More sourness would help balance the sweetness.

One of the better Flanders ales I've had.
Its no La Folie, but nothing is.

3.34/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Brown colour, with a small head that leaves a good ring and some lace. Aroma is tart, acid, cider, vinegar, combined with sweetness from red or dark fruits, cherries, oak cask, wood. Medium body and an active carbonation. Taste is acidic too, oak, red fruits, some citruses notes, chocolate, vinegar, cider., vanilla. Very complex and a hell of an extraordinary beer. Put another one in my list of perfect ten. As a note, I've been drinking this beer for years whenever I find, but I just notice the other day that I had never rated it.

4.86/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.12/5  rDev +0.5%

Served on tap in a wine glass at Burp Castle.

Duchesse de Bourgogne pours a deep chestnut brown, with a few scant ruby highlights apparent when the beer is backlit. There's a smattering of khaki colored foam atop the beer. Not enough for any real lacing or head retention though. The nose is very nice, with aromas of sweet cherry acidic tartness, and a bit of woody oak all intermingling and taking turns standing out. The flavor profile manages to be even more complex. Cherries and a definite vinous sour note are what immediately make an impression. The farther I get down the glass, the more some of background notes begin to come through. In addition to the oak, some biscuit and light caramel maltiness add another layer to the beer. The mouthfeel isn't quite to the same level as the aroma and flavor. Tje.body is alright, but the carbonation dies off at the front of the palate, leaving the rest of the sip to coat my palate a little too much. Still, Duchesse is a great beer, and I'm almost embarrassed it took me this long to try it.

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

This appeared a deep brown caramel color with a fairly tall light tan head. Scatterings of lace were left as this was consumed and the head retention was minimal. Holy Crap when I first poured this I took a big whiff and was hit with a HUGE funky tart aroma that was a bit overpowering. After letting it air for a bit it became much more pleasant with a bit of fruity tartness, a slight vinegar smell and some woody notes. Flavor wise this was super tart on the first sip that made me think it was going to take a while to get through this glass. After it warmed a bit I found it much more tasty and palatable with a nice mix of tartness and sweetness balancing each other out with the tartness taking a slight lead. There were fruit flavors and woody notes in the taste as well and a fairly nice lingering sour after taste. Mouthfeel was about medium with a soda bubbly feel to it that kind of detracted from it a bit but not much. This was a real sipper for me and I would definitely have to be in the mood for one of these to drink it. I would have it again in the future but I doubt more than one bottle at a time. Very interesting stuff that deserves a shot if you come across it, and I suggest letting it air out and warm a bit for the best experience.

4.46/5  rDev +8.8%

750ml bottle, 6/10 exp date. Poured into tulip at 40 degrees.

Pours with a 1/2 glass full of thick, tan head which fades to heavy film and leaves a ton of lacing. Body is deep ruby, and nearly opaque.

Smell hits you with balsamic vinegar, oak barrel, vinous but not overpowering, and slightly earthy funk.

Flavor is, wow. Not nearly as tart as I expected from the aroma, quite sweet actually. Plum, cherry, and some limey bite, plenty of sweet and sour balance - mostly sweet. Reminiscent of grape juice, with zero hint of alcohol.

Scary smooth mouthfeel - could've used a touch more carbonation to tighten it up.

Top score on drinkability - pretty sure I could've chugged this. Bottle is going down way too quickly.

4.37/5  rDev +6.6%

I picked up the Duchesse after many times passing her by due to the uncertainty. My wife picked her up for me at Whole Foods and unfortunately it was placed facing the cold box near an auxillary vent...of heat...which was keeping cheese cold. Go figure.

After 24 hours in the cold, the Duchesse and I had our rendezvous.

Being my first Flanders Red Ale, she went easy. She poured a nice reddish brown color with a single layer of foam. A light carbonation was also present.

She yielded a major vinegar aroma with a whisp of cherry in the background.

She tasted of a sweet vinegar on the initial sip with a nice sweetness on the back of the tongue and lips. A very intriguing taste for a newbie to this style.

It was a nice refreshing brew to some of the others I have tried in the past and is very drinkable if you can get past the ever-present vinegar smell.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 750 into Cab glass...

Nice, amber-cherrywood body with ample carbonation rising to 2-finger, latte-colored head with great lacing.

Beautiful yeasty malt, tangy with coriander and ornage zest - even some rye scent. May need to warm a little.

Sweet wine funk is first impression. Tinny at first - unfortunately keeps this even after warming. Tanginess reminds me of homemade hard apple cider, or maybe a sparkling Shiraz.

Coats nicely and bubbles up well but metallic finish gives an "overfermented" sense from the yeastiness.

This is raw and rustic and very good; can't seem to get ideal serving temperature right. Good to sip for special occassion.

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well decided to write a review for this one I have had many of these on tap But this one is from a 750.
Bottle poured into a snifter produced a good of white head that goes to a ring of bubbles around the glass. The body is a clear dark burgandy it really is a nice shade at that.

Aromas of sour cherries and funk filled my head. The aromas are not as good as from a draft but the fruit profiles are still good.

A nice sweet tart thing develops with the flavors .It is much sweeter cherry than a Rodenbach but less than Kasteel Rouge. This brew is always a nice brew to enjoy with a meal. There is a nice feel in the mouth with enough carbonation to keep it crisp and dry in the finish.

A very good example of a Flanders and a style that I truly enjoy I always grab this when I see it on tap. I found a bottle cheap up north I guess they didn't know what they had. So it was a fine treat for a winter's day

4.51/5  rDev +10%

A - Brown body with a strong amount of carbonation. The head is quicklived and is a pale eggshell color.

S - It offers an aroma of red wine, oak and slightly sour cherry.

T - Quickly, a sour almost cherry flavor comes up. It soon fades away leaving the flavor of white wine and a tiny hint of alcohol.

M - Light and airy from the large amount of carbonation.

~ This is something I will seek out again. It is one of the best beers I've had the luxury to sample. If you have the opportunity to try it you should definitely take advantage.

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%