Duchesse De Bourgogne | Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001

4.1

Ratings: 4,218 |  Reviews: 1,530
4.68/5  rDev +14.1%

On tap at Rustico, a fine new restaurant with a beer and wine list that features one page of wines, and about 15 pages of beers. Gotta love that.
Poured into a Chimay glass. The restaurant was dark, so maybe the beer seemed darker than it is, but it was a deep red, close to brown color. The head dissipated somewhat, but left a nice lacing on the sides of the glass.
Wow, the taste. I remember reading about Duchesse, but when I ordered it, I wasn't sure what to expect. What I got was a tarty cherry flavor smacking me on the tongue. I almost had my non-beer drinking wife try some, but then decided to keep it for myself. The tartness is well-balanced by a very sweet fruity flavor, and it only tastes like what most people would call "beer" in the remotest sense.
This is one of those beers you take to your wine snob friends if you want to turn them into beer snobs. Lots going on, and I could drink it for days.

4.72/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured 40 degrees into a tulip glass. No born date.

Pours a lucid light cola color with a 1.5 finger head - settling into a ring of foam on the inside of the glass

Smell is a very well projected and pungent blend of belgian yeast, malts, and figs

Mouthfeel is surprisingly effervescent for what I see the style to be, but in a way that only serves as a sparkling platform upon which to place the vortex of flavors in the palate remains fresh and yet weighty enough from late summer into the late winter.

Taste consists of a veritable rush of dark fruit, cranberry and cherry with a hint of cola, wine, and oak in the tertiary flavors. Not as much fig as implied in the nose, but instead replaced with a dark and warm fruity freshness that's adequately tempered by the oak. This in writing looks seemingly paradoxical, and perhaps is, but only in the greatest way possible. A masterpiece. Ludicrously well balanced. Little bit besides myself, will be picking up more than a couple of these in the future.

98.

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

More of a score justification than review:

I developed a love for Flemish Reds after drinking this. I have tried a few different offerings, from Belgium and the American homage brews. The problem is that I drank Jacobins first... so that was my benchmark. As a result, everything else is compared to that one.

This fell short really only on the level of sour (for me..) Every other profile that the Flemish Red Ale is famous for, this one has. The deep red color, the tart aroma, the cherries in the flavor. Excellent.

3.28/5  rDev -20%

I have a strange relationship with this beer. When I first tried it, as a nascent BA, it freaked me out. Tasted like vinegar. I thought it'd make a good salad dressing, but not a good beer.

The second time around, things are a bit different. Nonetheless, the beer remains, shall we say, *unique.*

Pours deep and dark with rich, crimson windowpanes. the low, tan head dissipates quickly.

Can't really pick up much on the aroma...

The taste hits big. Tart & sweet with an astringent finish. Behind the vinegary sourness there's a massive, cloying sweetness. The mouthfeel *seems* good, but admidst all the sweetness and tartness, it's difficult to notice anything else. Oh does the tartness linger...

After a little while in the glass, and a bit of warming, it seems to develop a foamy, effervescent feel in the mouth. Is it a bit salty?

In the end, all I can really say is that this beer is an *experience.* It seemed to hi every damn region of my tongue. Interesting certainly... Kinda like a Kubrick film - you know it was interesting, and you know a lot of work went into it, and it gave your brain a workout, but as to whether or not it was actually good, you don't really know...

My one major complaint would be that the sweetness of the beer was overly simplistic. I don't know if that's the result of the tartness deadening my palate, or if it's from the reported artificial sweeteners. Either way, it just seemed that it lost out on some of the subtlety that it could have had.

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.42/5  rDev +7.8%

A- It pours a ruby red/amber color with a tight, creamy one finger head that dissipates to a thin film on top very quickly. It leaves light lacing behind.

S- A nice sour cherry and apple aroma with an equal part oak showing up.

T- Splashes in with a nice sour wash right off that brings the cherry and apple flavors to the forefront. The malt is very present imparting a wide array of notes mixed in with some more subtle oak woody tones. I'm surprised with how much is going on that everything is so discernible, and my palate isn't overwhelmed. An overwhelming sign of the great craftsmanship involved in this brew.

M- Medium bodied almost delving into chewy. The light carbonation and dryness from the oak help to keep the sweetness from overpowering the palate.

O- I have been on a sour kick as of recent, and the complexity of this one really blew me away. There is so much going on, but is so well constructed that you get to enjoy every piece individually and as a whole with each sip. Man did this go great with dinner!

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served on tap into a wide mouthed red wine style glass.

This beer is a beautiful ruby color and smells like sherry. I would bet that people who did not know any better would mistake this for sherry.

The taste is malty, but the sherry / sour cherry taste takes the lead. A very interesting beer, and one you may need to be in the mood for.

Mouthfeel is good, a little to be desired.

I could drink more of these, and probably will though they will likely be one at a time.

An excellent beer. Recommended.

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured out of a 330ml bottle with a best before date of March 3, 2010. Dark brownish red in color with a head that quickly vanishes. Beer smells similar to vinegar but not nearly as sharp. This was my first beer of this style and the smell alone had me quite intrigued. Beer is very complex with pervasive cherry flavors at the forefront. The sour taste just lingers in the background and serves to accentuate a synthesis of complex malt flavors and tartness.

If you've never had a flemish red I highly recommend starting here.

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

A - Before holding to the light, you'd think this beer was a deep brown, with only a slight reddish tint. When held to the light, you see the rich complexity of color, not quite red but not quite brown. Head was a bit disappointing (probably due to the non-tulip glass), but the off-white color is a wonderful complement to the reddish-brown brew. A bit of a stretch, but the two colors together call to mind an image of an old mahogany wooden building in Europe.

S - The first smell is a very distinct tart cherry smell. I also smell raisins, brown sugar, caramel, amaretto liqueur, and a slight maple syrup aroma. The sweetness of the brew is quite evident - I'm interested to see how the tart cherry aroma will mingle with the expected sweet taste.

T - I definitely caught balsamic vinegar here, though it wasn't quite there on the nose for me. Cherries and amaretto are the major players, and these linger for a few extra seconds after swallowing. Certainly very sweet (a bit cloyingly so for me, but that's merely personal preference). I don't taste any chocolate notes, but I wish I had some Belgian chocolate to accompany this brew!

M - The very first thing that struck me about this beer was the carbonation. You know that feeling when you hold a sip of sparkling wine in your mouth, where you can feel the liquid pressing slightly on the roof of your mouth? I found that to be the case here. This is a slightly rudimentary theory, but I think that this phenomenon extends the beer's finish, because the tongue's flavor receptors are given a short break while the beer moves slightly upward in the mouth.

D - A wonderful, unique, exciting beer, but not one that I could drink all night. Grab a few to taste with friends, but make sure to grab some chocolate or even some creamy blue cheese to complement this remarkable brew! You'll love it!

Duchesse De Bourgogne from Brouwerij Verhaeghe