Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Verhaeghe Echte Kriek / Echte Kriekenbier | Brouwerij Verhaeghe

Verhaeghe Echte Kriek / Echte KriekenbierVerhaeghe Echte Kriek / Echte Kriekenbier
3.87/5
Very Good

Brouwerij Verhaeghe
brouwerijverhaeghe.be

Style: Flanders Red Ale

Added by BeerAngel on 11-18-2002

2.07/5  rDev -46.5%

I'm surprised to see this is a Flemish Red, I thought for sure that it was a Wild Ale or Lambic. Either way this brew has a wonderful Red color and that's the only thing I really liked about this beer. The aromas and taste are similar to each other, acidic and tart. Reminded me of vinegar a little. A little bit of funk to it as well. This is a beer for those who like this style, I for one am not that much of a fan of them. I'll give them all a try but I can't say I'll like them.

2.21/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

Don't want to do a full review but in short: sweet cherry nail polish.

2.26/5  rDev -41.6%

Pours a cranberry color with little head and a sour cherry funky, guaze smell as to be expected. Taste is sweeter than most sour ales, but still relatively mild in that department, and a moderately long lasting flavor in the finish. Still, did nothing for me with it's vinegary qualities.

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

2.56/5  rDev -33.9%

A: Pours a dirty pinkish brown. The brown color is a little offputting. Head is pinkish and dissipates quickly.

S: Some fruit notes but really smells a little but like rotten fruit which is just no good. I was hoping for fresh fruit. Some hints of cherry. Yeah it's pretty bad.

T: Surprisingly little flavor. Definitely fruit. Lingering bitterness that hits a little stale.

M: Sits super light and leaves a bitter stale fruit.

Overall I am surprised.. so many people liked this beer but I did not. I'm a huge fan of fruit beers but this one really misses the mark. The fruit flavor isn't pleasing and the mouthfeel is way too light.

2.71/5  rDev -30%

Room temperature Musty and leather smell. Very cherry, light head. Opaque red. Sugar and vinegar acidic, not finishable, doesn't work altogether, the taste the fizzy carbonation. Too dry too thin, maybe with some spicy meat. This is a fruit beer, right? Modiale 2005.

2.77/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a decent looking ruby color with some sour cherry notes on the nose. Small white head that dissipates quickly. Taste is 2/10 on the pucker-meter and moves into cough syrup territory for me as it warms. Seems a bit one note, and it is overall pleasant at first, but just wears me down.

2.81/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

2.81/5  rDev -27.4%

Reviewed from notes; originally 5/30/11.

A-Pours a brilliant ruby color with two and a half fingers of light pink head.

S-Smells of tart cherries and a bit of balsamic vinegar.

T-Pretty sweet cherries on the forefront with a bit of oak.

M-A little under-carbonated for the style; medium-bodied and a little sticky.

D-A little sweet and the carbonation level being a little low hurts the drinkability on this one for me.

2.82/5  rDev -27.1%

I could see how people could like this, but too darn sweet for me.

Pours a deep red with red foamy head. Very tart with a sweet finish and a cherry everything. Highly carbonated which seemed to present a good head. Not much for th eoverwhelming fruitiness. My wife liked it though!

2.89/5  rDev -25.3%

Presentation: The label is very different than shown on the accompanying photo: first off, it's now "Echt Kriekenbier" rather than "Eckte", the black label shows two large cherries on their stems above two golden lions holding a crown-covered shield (very European, not sure of the significance of this particular heraldry). The shield is like the one on the upper label in the picture shown. The very American back label has alll the legal mumbo jumbo and a best-before with some printing that is completely illegible (like the computer dot-matrix printer got confused, or kind of like my typing of beer reviews before I check them for typos a few days later....). My guess is that it says 06/11/05, or best by November 6, 2005.

Pours a very red, thin port-colored, translucent, with a moderate, slightly pink (mostly white) head that drops to a thin cover in 2 minutes, leaving no lace.

Aroma is cherry. Not unpleasant, not overpowering, not strong. Not natural either. Somewhat artifical. But there is the slight sour notes between the sweet that make me happy.

Flavor. What is this? Sour cherry cough drop-like notes, not beer-like at all. More like cherry soda, and artifical in flavor. Just not right. After the aroma, I really wanted to like this, but just can't.

Mouthfeel is thin, according to my girlfriend- I can't disagree, but I don't think it's watery like some. Just ok. Drinkability- I just don't get it.

2.95/5  rDev -23.8%

Note - My bottle is a little different than the one pictured. It says Echt Kriekenbier and it is the 6.8% ABV beer.

The beer poured crystal clear deep ruby. The head was pink...yep, pink and the pink stuff lasted to lace the glass. Ok, perhaps it was ruby, but a ruby head is still a little unsettling.

The aroma was sour with fruity barnyard aromas.

The flavor was cherry and fruits that immediately became dry and sour. The sourness was not overpowering, but it was very one dimensional and not interesting. With the beer drying out so fast it was difficult to find much to say.

The finish was dry and had a slight cherry flavor that was not well done that lasted much longer than you wanted it to. The body was medium light and watery.

I say skip it. Regular Vichtenaar is a much better beer.

11.2 ounce bottle. Best before 31-10-05. Purchased at Kroger in Blacksburg, VA.

2.98/5  rDev -23%

Had a pizzaria paradiso, Dupont Circle a while back. Was not a fan of this.

A: Dark Cherry red-deep pick with thin head and good lacing.

S: Powerful aroma I can smell from a foot away. Vinegary, oaky sweet and savory cherry.

T: Really sweet. Lots of cherry fruit and some oak, way too sweet overall and also a medicinal edge to it I did not care for. Some malt backbone, but this is like drinking cherry lollipops in cherry dimetap in some ways.

M: Medium and bitter on the palate.

D: Not for me.

Far too much vinegar in the taste, and not in a good way.

Verhaeghe Echte Kriek / Echte Kriekenbier from Brouwerij Verhaeghe