Köstritzer Schwarzbier | Köstritzer Schwarzbierbrauerei GmbH & Co.

Köstritzer SchwarzbierKöstritzer Schwarzbier

Köstritzer Schwarzbierbrauerei GmbH & Co.
Germany
koestritzer.de

Style: Schwarzbier

Added by stirgy on 10-17-2001

Ratings: 1,907 |  Reviews: 840
3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

I've been trying a lot of great, strong tasting beers this past couple of weeks, so my judgement may be a little skewed on this one. Poured about as nice looking a glass of beer as you will see. Jet black (are there really any black jets?), large head which lasts, with some lace throughout. From there however, nothing extraordinary. Certainly smooth and quite drinkable, but not really much of a flavor profile. Not overly hoppy or malty, just kind of clean and smooth. I will try it again some other time, but a little plain for my tastes.

3.19/5  rDev -17.8%

This has always been a favorite dark lager for me. I taste tonight side by side with Crystal Diplomat Dark Beer - A czech Lager.

Pours very dark brown with a big fluffy head that is tan. Provides very nice lace. The nose is lacking. Rather musty with charcoal. Smell of a dying campfire.

The mouthfeel is surprisingly dry and chalky. Almost grainy. Compared to the tasting companion, it falls short. I'm quite surprised. In most cases, I've had on tap. That may be the reason it's not quite as I remember.

Fairly light on the palate in midmouth. The finish is quite chalky and dry. The flavors never develop to the extent I remember from past tastes. Quite an astringency here.

It is still quite drinkable and would go well with pork and kraut.

3.94/5  rDev +1.5%

Nice pleasant aroma. Not real strong. A very nice pour with plenty of light brown head made up of small bubbles. It had a very dark brown body that was almost black with some carbonation. Its flavor was mostly just a nice malty taste. It was very smooth with a hint of ... of what I asked myself. Not sure what it was that I was tasting, but it was good. Even though its alcohol content was low, I could still taste it. After a few drinks, an aftertaste did start to build in my mouth. The head never died throughout the entire glass. I don't think I have rated a beer yet here that did this. Beer number 30 and counting! Einemal bier Bitte!

3.28/5  rDev -15.5%

A very black color in the body, but light peeks around the edges. Beige head has no stick to it.

Aroma is a barely detectable mix of smoky peat and burnt malt.

The flavor is a smoky concoction of dark malt, burnt and woodsy, very full of charcoal.

Creamy feel and very balanced.

I wouldn't necessarily think this a good beer, but I have had many worse.

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

3.88/5  rDev 0%

This beer poured pitch black with a big two-finger tan head that lingered for a while. The smell is toasted malts with maybe breadiness. The taste starts off with some slightly sweet bready toasted malt that is intermingled with a pleasant amount of balancing hops. The mouthfeel is of medium thickness with some fine carbonation. This is a surprisingly light and drinkable beer, I think most people would be surprised that a beer this dark would be this easy to drink.

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

Glass - Pint

A - Dark dark brown with a tinge of coppery, ruby color when held to light. Produced an off white pillow of head, about 2fingers thick, with very good retention. Lacing was spotty but very good as well.

S - What I got was very very mild, faint grass upfront with soft roasted malt notes, but more grainy smelling. Hints of a buttery/nut thing going on but that was about all I could pull out.

T - Soft & clean flavors here expected by what the smell put out. Clean grass & nut upfront, touch of buttery flavor fading into finishing flavors, soft roasted malts & subtle toffee. A touch of bitterness from malts & hops are present but very subdued, balancing though.

M - Very very smooth & moderately crisp, around lite bodied. Refreshing feel, I thought it complimented the flavor profile perfectly.

D - This was an extremely quafable brew! I could sit around all evening drinking a 6pack of this beer, I have to say this my first Schwarzbier, so I really don't have a true feel for the style yet, but I really did enjoy this one. I definitely recommend it, I could see myself buying this one again in the future sometime, maybe not worth seeking out in my opinion though.

3.88/5  rDev 0%

Pours black (duh) with the slightest hint of red. Rocky light beige head with above-average retention.

Aroma is roasted coffee beans, slightly bitter chocolate, and a bit earthy as well.

Very smooth and creamy. Excellent balance, but very light. Roasted grain, sweet malts, dark chocolate, and dark fruit... raisin or figs. Dry almost tangy finish. Basically it tastes almost like a lighter, cleaner porter.

Light, somewhat oily, but silky smooth mouthfeel. Light and refreshing enough to be easily drinkable without the expense of flavor. This is my first schwarzbier and after this example, definitely not my last.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

Deep amber brown... almost black, with a thin head. Aroma of sweet and roasted malt. Flavors are malt sweetness upfront, with some very mild coffee-like notes, as well as flavors of pumpernickle bread, and a touch of hop bitterness to round out the flavor nicely. Thin to medium body, with a slightly rough mouthfeel. This is a very easy drinking bier. Prosit!

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Had on draft at the Frisco Grille, Columbia, MD.

A- Pours almost black with a good brown head.

S- Smells of coffee and licorice, somewhat sweet.

T- Not as sweet as one would expect, rich, like strong dark coffee, bittered well for a dry finish.

M- A bit more carbonated than I prefer, but on the mark for the style, thin to medium body.

D- Very quaffable for a dark beer, this is a dark beer for warmer months.

Probably the epitome for the style.

3.88/5  rDev 0%

Black (well, duh) colour with a modest head of cappucino foam that disappears within minutes. Pleasant smell of roasted malt and milk chocolate. The chocolate becomes dark in the taste, which also contains coffee and caramel, balanced by hop bitterness. The feel is refreshing and smooth. A session beer that's very easy to drink.

On-tap at Red Lion Tavern in Silverlake, CA.

Appearance: The pour is dark red on the verge of black with a long-lasting tan head.

Smell: The nose has light-roast coffee and caramel malts.

Taste: Sweet, doughy malts brings molasses up front. Clean roasted malts bring coffee and dark chocolate to the mid-palate. Bitter hops join the mix for a dry finish.

Mouthfeel It's on the lighter side of medium-bodied and smooth with light carbonation.

Drinkability: This is a very solid session beer and one that can debunk a lot of the myths about "dark beer."

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

A- Pours an almost black color with a thick tan head that leaves good lacing.

S- roasted malt along with some mild fruit coming to the nose

T - Tastes of malt and perhaps some raisin. There's a coffee presence that comes in for the finish - nice.

M- Decent carbonation - smooth

D- Good brew that is very close the stout style. It's definately the darkest lager I have ever tried.

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

Big head on this one, making for a nice presentation. Rich dark corn syrup colored beer, like a dark version of carmel coloring itself. Dark but free of haze.

Aroma is light and pleasant but rich. Dusty fresh malt and lager aromas typical of a Helles are dominant. Dark malts really aren't detected yet.

Flavor took me a little while to acclimate to, but once I did it was a great experience. It really does take quite like a Helles lager, lightly hopped with sweet toast-like malt body an esterless lager profile. A bit of toffee and Coca-Cola flavor that finish it out in the background are all that really separate the two.

Munich malt mouthfeel, just like it's fresh out of the kiln. Carbonation is quick to leave and makes me feel like I'm drinking the last sip of a cup of Coke after all the ice melted.

Very refreshing. Quite nice and easy to drink. Delicious world-class beer. Cheers!

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

3.47/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Köstritzer Schwarzbier from Köstritzer Schwarzbierbrauerei GmbH & Co.