Dark Vine Black India Pale Ale | Ithaca Beer Company

Ithaca Beer Company
New York, United States
ithacabeer.com

Style: American Black Ale

A hoppy black IPA bursting with so much flavor that you might think you’re tasting double. Intensely floral nose, surprisingly light body, and strong bitter finish.

Added by MisSigsFan on 10-17-2013

3.9

4.8/5  rDev +23.1%

4.79/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I got three of these spooky black bottles in a beautiful 12-pack Box of Hops at the Brookton Market in Brooktondale on a bike ride yesterday. I love the wood-grain theme on box, and as I'm a long-time fan of IBC's Flower Power, was really glad to see it with 3 new companion ales. The Creeker and Double Zilla had quite a bit of sediment on bottoms, Flower Power just a trace, so I figured this Dark Vine would have it too, though the brew is so dark and opaque I couldn't see any, even with a 100 watt floodlamp shining through it. Swirled the bottle just in case yeast is hiding in the brown bottle glass, and poured high to make an inch head bulging perfectly over the brim of a pint glass. Head is tan-brown, brew so dark that the spotlight shining through it looks violet-red. Lacing hangs on down the glass like a coffee-colored curtain, fine head film hangs on top for the 20 minutes it takes to sip this rascal.
Smells funky strong hops and fruity black cherry. Cherry? Maybe because the light shining through it turned that weird dark cerise?
Tastes at first strangely hollow, the dark color doesn't seem to come from dark malts. Hops are exactly where I want them, though, so the next sips I mash around in my mouth more before swallowing. As I get over the surprise of the first few sips I start to find the missing center to a fine dry hoppy mouthfeel that makes my mouth water after each swallow. The only piece missing to this great puzzling black beer is a bit more roasty dark malt flavor, but maybe that's just a problem with my expectation from such a stout-looking brew.

4.6/5  rDev +17.9%

4.59/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.54/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.4/5  rDev +12.8%

4.4/5  rDev +12.8%

4.38/5  rDev +12.3%

4.32/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

And now, the end of my latest horizontal, this one of Ithaca offerings, as a part of the eradication of the Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody.

From the bottle: Nada. I am not a fan of their no longer putting the ABV on the labels. I dig the minimalist look of the new labels, but less is not always more.

Okay, I am not a big fan of these Cascadian/Dark/Black IPAs for the same reason that I did not really like Java Cask - something, in this case, the malts, gets in the way of the hops. Still, I remain hopeful & the only way to know for sure is to begin with a Pop! of the cap. I do enjoy the way that these dark beers almost always have a pseudo-cascade going and this one was no exception. It settled into two fingers of dense, rocky, deep-tan/light-brown head with decent retention. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44) with NE-quality clarity & garnet highlights. Nose had a charcoal-like roastiness that is pretty much the standard for the style. Mouthfeel was full and creamy, which was a pleasant surprise. My bottle had a little bit of age on it, but it was great! I really got a lot of cool mintiness from the hops to go along with a dark chocolate roastiness. It was like a liquefied Thin MInt or a liquefied Peppermint Patty! Man, I was getting a sensation, that's for sure. Finish was dry, minty, roasty and probably one of the better (best?) examples of the style, IMHO. I'm going to start aging all of my ABAs from now on! It can't hurt.

4.31/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.29/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Dark Vine Black India Pale Ale from Ithaca Beer Company