Apricot Wheat | Ithaca Beer Company

Ithaca Beer Company
New York, United States
ithacabeer.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Our smooth wheat beer is light in color and body…perfect for those looking for a lighter taste. The combination of wheat and barley gives Apricot Wheat a different malt character than our other ales. The hint of apricot gives this beer a pleasant nose and fruity finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-18-2001

firstprev| 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next → last
Reviews: 267 | Ratings: 842
3.82/5  rDev +17.5%

Got this one at Sheldrake Point Winery with lunch. A very good and unique beer.

Pours light amber, not much lacing, but a crapload of effervescence. I think it was too bubbly. Smell was good with a nice whiff of apricots along with light flowery hops. Taste followed well with a light IPA floweriness, some wheats, and solid real-tasting apricots. Don't get me wrong, this ain't no #9, but it's certianly a nice refreshing option.

4.04/5  rDev +24.3%

Well for girls that don't like beer this is their beer because it tastes likes a fruit drink. But the thing is I am not a girl! So here is the review. Had a 12 ounce bottle of this that poured a nice golden-orange color. The smell is great, and of apricots. The taste is really sweet, and well...apricotty. The wheat end is a little dissapointing though.
Moderate mouthfeel, crisp, and a little sticky with lots of bubbles. Insanely drinkable.

2.56/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer has a nice cloudy, golden appearance with a tiny cream colored head that disappears instantly.

The aroma is super sweet. It smells like dried apricots that have been sugar coated or turned into some form of candy.

Its flavor is malty, but is overpowered by the sugar and apricot tones. It definitely lives up to its name.

Mouth feel is light and a bit over carbonated IMO.
Its not for me, but a go if you like the really sweet brews.

1.43/5  rDev -56%

Blechhkk... this is pretty nasty stuff. I was glad to see something somewhat local out here in Western New York for the summer and jumped at the chance to pick up a mixed 12 of Ithica. 4 different beers. 3 were really good, and I was sort of skeptical about this one, and I was right. It pretty much sucks. Pours a yellowy fizzy mess. And I'm talking soda fizzy, not your average beer carbonation. Smells like soda too, sugary and fruity, way too fruity, not a nice subtle hint like in some fruit beers. Oh god... after another few sips I have to drop that taste down to a 1. And I hate to do it, because their other beers are great, but this deserves a bashing. Tastes like straight up juice or soda, hardly any recognizable beer qualities. No hops. I'm sure there's malt in there (and hops too, I guess?) but there's no character shining through. I don't think I can finish this... and I NEVER pour a beer down the drain... until now.

4.33/5  rDev +33.2%

Boy did this six pack disappear quickly. This beer is fabulous- and I don't even like apricots. I picked it up on a whim though, figuring why not? It's hot out, I need something light. And it was.

Tastes delicious- apricots, some other fruits- raspberry and orange, mostly. Tastes like fruit juice- but it's spiked. I think I could turn any self-proclaimed beer hater into a beer lover with this beer. It just tastes deliciously fruity. It also feels great- lots of bubbles, nice crisp finish. Crazy drinkability- I've never emptied my glass that quickly. A delicious, very drinkable beer. Fellows, this one will turn your girls into beer drinkers. Trust me.

4.42/5  rDev +36%

If you like apricots then this is the beer for you.
Even if you don't like apricots this might be the beer for you.
Extremely fruity and refreshing over all.
Very much like bubbly fruit juice; this is one of those beers that you hand to someone that claims "I don't like beer".
Light and bubbly; the wheat plays its role well in keeping this brew from being too much like candy (though it is on the candy side of the spectrum).
I found this to be insanely drinkable... the only thing that takes away from the drinkability a bit is the effect the sweetness has on the mouthfeel after a bit.
This is, of course, as I review as it stands by itself.
Next time around I'll drink this while having a slice of pizza or a burger (times when I often drink soda). My scores will probably be bumped up from there.
A 5 in enjoyability.

3.09/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a slightly cloudy medium light straw with not much head or lace. Poor head retention. Aroma of apricot and wheat (duh), but more so of the sweet apricot. Taste is apricot with some slight wheat malt (duh again). Finishes with a mild hop bitterness. Overall not my favorite type of beer but I'm sur it tastes pretty good on a hot summers day. An OK brew but not much to write home about.

3.69/5  rDev +13.5%

Eye Candy: Varies depending on tap vs. bottle. Tap is transparent, straw yellow, almost flat. Bottle has adequate carbonation, fizzy 1 finger head, thin edges, no lacing. Head is easily stirred up with swirling.

The Nose Knows: Overwhelming apricot (duh), sweet fruits, sweet citrus background, light wheat.

Tongueland: All apricot, some midrange sweet malts to balance cloying apricot, finishes slightly thick w/ wheat feel. Orange and somekindof light spice try to emerge (I will figure it out later) Light, airy, slight tingle.

Bender Factor: The perfect way to finish a 12 sampler off by yourself. Makes you think that you are getting rehydrated. Ordered after a long night of drinking Stouts and IPA's. Way better than Magic # 9, which is a weak apricot wheat pursuing Blue Moon. Ithaca stands alone.

4.2/5  rDev +29.2%

[This bottle is a little old, so give it leeway--left it at school during winter break. My bad.]
Straw color with only wisps and miniscus for a head. Very small-bubbled carbonation, looks a little lackluster in that regard. But the most notable aspect of this beer by far is its powerful scent. It positively reeks of its namesake apricot, as well as other generally thick, sweet, bready, sunflower-seed scents. Very unusual and interesting.

Taste is a little flat. That apricot is strong, as well as a smooth maltiness. A little grapefruit and a lot of peach, some general esthers, some cloying...something...raspberry? The wheat side is somewhat muted, though the hops seem to provide a good backdrop for the other tastes. Orange and orange cream, that's what was cloying!

A pretty fun beer. Definitely worth a try based on its strong fruit character, but it's not wildly complex. Well suited to vary one's drinks during a night of continuous consumption, especially with its light and smooth texture and peppy drinkability.

3.27/5  rDev +0.6%

The only non macro or big import served at the bar at Belhurst Castle so I gave it a try even though not a huge fan of apricot brews,poures a somewhat hazy straw with no head to speak of poured two bottles and no head in either looked flat.A big canned apricot aroma going on (like a few others noted) with some toasted graininess,taste is like sweeteded apricots and and toasted malt even more of the latter in the finish and aftertaste,went down quite easy.Not bad for an apricot ale have had better I let my wife normally drink these.

2.57/5  rDev -20.9%

Cloudy, golden liquid with a strong, artificial-smelling apricot aroma. The apricot smell dominates the nose, and not much else comes through. Taste is slightly grainy, without the wheat-beer qualities that I expected. It’s a very soft, almost watery beer with essentially no aftertaste. This is a beer for the unadventurous non-beer drinker. I did not enjoy it.

3.59/5  rDev +10.5%

12oz bottle obtained via trade with Shippos. Thanks for the opportunity...

First imperial pint glass pours with a 1/2" bright white head, which fades rather quickly, and minimal lacing. Clear, pale straw brew, with a strong apricot aroma, with an undercurrent of grainy wheat. Just what I expected, which is always nice. Taste is quite tartly of apricots, carried by the wheat body, light as it is. Mouthfeel and drinkability are average, but for nothing to write home about. I know, I'm not the biggest fruit beer aficianado anyways, but give me a good one and I'll give it its due props. This one isn't one of the earth-shakers, in my book.

3.32/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Every gas station and mini-mart in Upstate, NY is littered with Ithaca Pale Ale. I have seen people buy it like it's going out of style. So, why don't I see what the lure is to this particular beer?
It poured a hazy yellow colour with a almost non-existing head and no lace. The aroma is of apricots and oranges. The taste is of apricots, oranges and a hint of lemon. It goes down smooth with a nice amount of carbonation. Not fizzy, like I was expecting.
This is an okay brew. It is an average wheat with plenty of room for improvement.

3.3/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a cloudy peach, topped with about an inch of antique white foam. Plenty of carbonation bubbles can be seen racing up. The head settles into a weak collar, dying out about halfway through.
The aroma is dominated by a sweetish apricot fruitiness. Soft wheat malt lies beneath, creating a tangerine and orange peel effect. One dimensional, although the apricot blends well with the wheat, surprisingly pleasant for a flavored wheat beer.
The flavor starts with a soft, airy wheat malt, the apricot creeping in very quickly. Starts out sweetish, with some orange peel creeping into the middle, finishing a bit sour with adequate dryness. The yeast adds a powdery feel throughout. The aftertaste is mostly apricot, with a hint of bready yeast. Medium lightish body, with very assertive carbonation.
For being an american wheat, this is pretty drinkable. Obviously, a beer like this would be better suited for the summer, but it was just fine with my orange and ginger chicken creation in the dead of winter. It's flavored, but at least the flavoring works well with the malt.

2.67/5  rDev -17.8%

Appearance: Strikingly clear, golden-straw body for a wheat bear. Voluminous champagne fizziness in a white head that fades very quickly leaving no lace.
Smell: Intense apricot, like a hard apricot cider. No detectable malt in the nose, which has a faint breadiness.
Taste: Full-on apricot sweet-tartness overpowers any wheat/yeast characteristics which may be present. Faint caramel malt background.
Mouthfeel: Crisp, bubbly. Tart apricot pucker that is really the only finish. No detectable hopping or citrus to dry the aftertaste.
Drinkability: A litle too malternative for me. Needs more ale character. Probably nice well chilled on a hot summer day.

4.12/5  rDev +26.8%

As far as wheat beers go, this is lacking in many of the more familiar esters of banana and clove. Additionally, this beer is not very cloudy at all -- I think of it more as a blonde/amber ale with a wheat back. Hops are minimal, but there, a bit of Tett spiciness and crispness at the end of the sip. Apricots are definately there, not shy, but not overpowering. The amount of apricot puree I taste here is indicitave of what I feel a fruit beer should be, in terms of fruit strength.

I enjoy this on late summer evenings with friends. Even non-beer drinkers will enjoy this, and it's a very good choice to convert macro drinkers with.

Not for every day, but definately a sweeter summer favorite.

3.59/5  rDev +10.5%

The beer pours a clear golden color with no head or lacing. The aroma is of sweet apricots and little wheat malt. The taste is the same. It's not an overpowering apricot taste, but the flavor sticks out at you. The body is low to medium. It's a drinker, especially on those hot summer days. This is a favorite of my wife, but she's a sucker for a pale fruit beer. I just don't care for wheat beers that are not hazy and ringing with wheat taste and aroma.

firstprev| 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next → last