White Gold | Ithaca Beer Company

Ithaca Beer Company
New York, United States
ithacabeer.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

A Belgo-American Ale brewed with domestic barley and French wheat malts, the finest Continental and U.S. grown hops, and fermented with Belgian, English and Wild yeasts.

Added by BeerTruth on 04-23-2007

Liked:
3.92/5
Alströms:

1.75/5  rDev -55.4%

2.5/5  rDev -36.2%

2.5/5  rDev -36.2%

2.58/5  rDev -34.2%

The aroma is quite dusty and grassy, with some orange rind, lemon and wheat. Reminds me of a Biere de Garde or a lighter Bret yeasted (is that a word) beer.

The taste is initially overwhelmingly tart. Was not expecting that but I guess I should have been from the nose. It fades into a lemon/lime/grapefruit bitterness; I am honestly not enjoying these combinations. The finish is bready and slightly funky/yeasty, maybe a touch peppery. As is warms it turns into more of a soapy whit, a style that has never grown much on me.

Overall the flavors are kind of muddled in my opinion and leave a lot to be desired. I appreciate the creativity in the approach but it fell short.

2.59/5  rDev -33.9%

Volcanic eruption upon opening.

Pours... absolute foam. Can't see any beer. The entire glass is foam. I've never seen anything like this. After a few minutes I can see a fraction of light golden opacity. The color is good, but it's just a glass of foam.

Smells of Belgian yeast, wheat, bubblegum, actually kind of smells skunky.

Nothing impressing me, weaker tasting wheat beer. Slightly more Belgian but nothing special. Salty aftertaste, like prosciutto. A bit funky and skunky.

Ridiculous amount of carbonation, thin and overly bubbly.

Not a really good wheat beer. Would pass on this in the future without a doubt.

2.64/5  rDev -32.7%

Pours auburn, not head, clear, no carb rising. Not a good sign...something could be amiss.

Aroma of wheat, grapes.

Taste has wheat, light hops, spices

Mouthfeel is flat, lifeless.

Overall, I'm going to guess that I got a bad bottle [at least I hope so]. I'd try another just to see if this one was an anomoly.

2.75/5  rDev -29.8%

750ml bottle poured into a stem glass, White Gold is a hazy yellow with a tight, creamy white head

Smell is wheaty, slight citrus, like an unspiced wheat.

Taste is more like a double wit, the same amount of refreshment as a single, but with an extra dose of booze, which stands out to me. Too strong and lacking any compensating complexity, a bit a of a disappointment.

Mouthfeel is very crisp, but heavier, solvent like.

Drinkability is average this is just another strong wheat beer. All the aspects of a nicer thirst quencher, but the overt strength really presents a challenge. I totally forgot there was any brett, it's a total non-factor at this point (no idea of the age, I just bought it in Boston). I had higher hopes, in spite of not caring for TEN, but this was another overpriced, under-producing brew from Excelsior. I'm always a big supporter of any brewer's reserve style beers, but a little QA goes a long way as far as not putting out the first recipe you think of! Not cheap and not to good, 1 and done thank you very much...

White Gold from Ithaca Beer Company