Brute | Ithaca Beer Company

Ithaca Beer Company
New York, United States
ithacabeer.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Brewed with vintage (aged) local hops, barley, wheat, corn, aged in oak with Brett and finished with three types of champagne yeast.

Added by albern on 06-22-2008

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

750ml capped and corked bottle with a gold label that has the word "Brute" in a ancient Roman font. Flanking both sides of the name of the beer are Ancient Roman coins. Below the name is a description of the beer and a batch number in a rectangle. To the right of that is a paragraph that talks about the Excelsior series. Keep going to the right and you'll find the Government warning, correct glassware, and correct serving temp. This bottle was from batch E!010. I couldn't find a batch number listing, but I have a feeling that its from 2009/2010.

A Great Lakes Snifter was my choice for this beer. From behind the gold label came a hazy pure gold colored beer. There's gold in this beer! This beer was so hazy that I could only see the brief silhouette of my fingers on the other side of the glass. The head of foam was equally impressive as the beer's color. Up rose a tall 1 inch+ cloud white head of foam. This head of foam took its sweet time receding. It left behind a thin white film and quite a few clingy streaks of lace around the glass. Eye candy all the way!

The aroma was funky! Not a bad funky. It was a sour and tart funkiness. It was sour and tart with white grapes, green grapes, green apples and a little lemon and pineapple. As you can tell, it was the beer's fruitiness that kicked off the aroma. Following the fruits was a touch of oak. When the oak had its small amount of fun, the beer then finishes up with a nice semi sweet barnyard funkiness. It was an interesting and nice aroma. It was one of those aromas that my nose couldn't get enough of.

The taste was more sour and tart than it was funky. Like the aroma, it was the beer's tart fruits that kicked off the taste. I tasted tart green grapes, white grapes, a drop of green apples, and a splash of lemon. I detected a little oak after all the fruits. Since this beer wasn't aged IN oak, the oak couldn't control this beer. After all this, the beer then finished up with a slight barnyard funkiness. It would have been easier to write that this beer tasted like it smelled. That would have been too easy. I liked how the barnyard funk didn't completely take control of the taste. It was this beer's sour level that controlled this taste.

This was a light to medium bodied Wild Ale that had plenty of carbonation and nice sour and tart aftertaste. The aftertaste contained more sour and tart green grapes, white grapes, green apples, lemons, and a pinch of barnyard funkiness. Only the sour and tart fruits will linger on the roof of your mouth.

I see that age hasn't taken away any of this beer's sour and tartness. This is one of those beers that did a disappearing trick in front of my eyes. A little bit and a little bit there and before I knew it, the entire 750 was gone. Would I drink it again? I sure would if Ithaca ever decides to make it again.

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

Acquired via trade through younger35, thanks again Dan for this and the 09' darkness. Been sitting on this for a few months so I decided to crack it open for Christmas. New to the sour world so my reviews kind of suck.

Poured a very nice gold color into my duvel tulip glass. Little bit of pillowy white head that went away rather quickly. A lot of bubbles, reminiscent of a champagne. Smelled a lot of lemon and other citrus qualities. Taste goes right back to the lemon with a really nice sourness. I found the sourness to be very pleasing to to the palate. Great mouth feel with nice carbonation. I thought the drinkability was very high. I drank the 750ml on my own and I enjoyed every drop. Highly recommended. Well done Ithaca.

Brute from Ithaca Beer Company