Brute | Ithaca Beer Company

Ithaca Beer Company
New York, United States
ithacabeer.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Brewed with vintage (aged) local hops, barley, wheat, corn, aged in oak with Brett and finished with three types of champagne yeast.

Added by albern on 06-22-2008

Liked:
4.43/5
Alströms:

4.4/5  rDev -0.7%

Huge thanks to bankhead for this longtime want, particularly from a style I'm still warming up to.

Appearance: Proteus93's pour is clear, crisp, and golden, while mine is of course hazy, orangey-yellow, capped by a good two fingers of slightly dull white head that fizzes and fades relatively quickly but nonetheless leaves a good ring of bubbly spongy lacing and a few smatterings of surface dusting. There may very well be carbonation in this brew, but the haziness does a fair job of denying me that.

Aroma: Faint, quenching, tart vinegar qualities, but a slew of complexities as well. Only a faint amount of cheesy funk, really, that comes across as faintly sweaty, faintly cheesy, farmhouse-y, and largely tart. The remainder of this brew is citrusy - orangey, largely lemony - slightly malty - in a golden, malty, sweet, soft sort of way - with none of those unpleasant medicinal smells and tons of those pleasant fruity, slightly spicy ones.

Taste: Ohhh damn. Quenching tartness, dry malts, tons of citrus, a fair amount of funk ... just an amazingly complex and balanced brew. Ohhh my god I just cleansed my palette and it just hit me all over again. This one's hugely tart, wonderfully complex, sweet, simple, and well-rounded. Lemon notes add a palette-quenching aspect to this one that augments the orange notes and faintly topical notes. Oy.

Mouthfeel: Hugely effervescent carbonation, with smooth, crisp, and terribly soft effervescence filling up a moderately smooth body that I would imagine would be sticky, thick, and syrupy if it weren't so dry and quenching.

Drinkability: Flavorful, complex, enjoyable, yet ... approachable. This reminds me a lot of Isabelle Proximus, actually - tart, complex, soft, smooth, flavorful. It's truly an amazingly well-made beer, not overly tart or overly funky or overly sour. It's just terribly balanced and terribly drinkable, and - at 6.5% - was a sober up beer for me at this period of the tasting. Not anything wrong with this one, actually, and I'm truly looking forward to batch 2 of this fantastic brew.

4.41/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to mikereaser for hooking me up with a bottle of 2010 Ithaca Brute. This was an excellent beer and easy trade.

Brute is a hazy hay colored beer that fills the glass with it's voluminous head. It looks like lemonade topped with egg foam. The sparkling white fluff stays on the entire time. The beer smells grainy and only faintly sour like ripening lemons. The acidity of Brute is actually less than I thought and was preparing myself for (especially after consuming a Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek) but was well balanced with the residual sweetness from the grain. The flavor is lemony and crisp with sour apples and a bit of wood-like phenol or tannin from the hops. This is a delicious beer that has good body (The Brewing Network interview with the brewer revealed a 4 Plato finishing gravity) and mouthfeel that looks great in a glass.

When this is released again this year, I'm going to try to get a case.

4.41/5  rDev -0.5%

Massive thanks to nyrangerfan for a bottle of this in a recent trade. Batch #3! Served from bottle into a Duvel tulip. Poured a pale yellow-orange with a three finger very slightly off-white head. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sourt, tart, and citrus. The flavor was of sweet malt, sour, tart, and slight funk. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was quite the excellent brew. I had gotten a sample of this at the recent ORF release at Foothills and HAD to have more of it. The reason being is that this is just an excellent tasting brew. Also a very nice aroma going on here as well. If you like sour/funky beers and haven't had this one yet, you need to get off your ass and do so. Even if you have to trade for it... It is worth it.

4.41/5  rDev -0.5%

Received this brew from the ever famous BeerTruth. I've been sitting on this one for way to long and can't wait to try it. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip while watching the Broncos vs. Jets.

Batch# E!010

Appearance- Pours a very hazy light yellow with a huge 2 finger fluffy white head that seems to last forever. The head never really falls below one finger as that cap leaves loads of frothy lacing.
Smell- Lightly fruity from the start with a lightly sweet, very melon like nose. Cantaloupe, honeydew, and maybe even a tinge of banana smell absolutely wonderful. Not as sour smelling as I was expecting but definitely light tinges of apple cider vinegar and earthy funk. The oak and vanilla really open up as the beer warms and maybe gets a hint sourer in the nose.
Taste- Whoa! Way more sour than the nose led me to believe! Bone dry and not all that fruity it has way more rice wine vinegar than melon fruitiness. Quenching and pleasing as a bit of green apple and white grape does show slightly as the beer warms. More wine than beer at times but none-the-less, delicious. Finishes with a light lingering vanilla woodiness that is my favorite part of these barrel aged sours. The aftertaste tastes EXACTLY like Russian Rivers Temptation.
Mouthfeel- Medium body that's very crisp and clean with sharp vibrant carbonation that would give any bottle of Champaign a run for the money. Very dry and quenching.
Drinkability- The first sip of this brew was fairly puckering but I acclimated quickly. I'm nearly finished with the bottle and I'm almost done with my review. The subtle oak and extreme dryness are really nice and make this an exceptionally easy drinking brew. Perhaps the easiest drinking Wild Ale I've tried. Big, HUGE thanks to Adam for sharing!

4.42/5  rDev -0.2%

(750ml bottle at RBWG!). Pours hazy golden with massive white head. Decent carbonation. Awesome funky aroma with some fruit (apricot, green apple, and papaya. Taste is tart/funky with a nice amount of vinegar that isn’t typical of many american beers. Medium bodied with a dry finish. This is a bright, incredible sour. This is a fantastic beer!

2010 bottle poured into champagne flute

Pours an opaque orange/lemon peel color. Minimal head that forms a nice ring around the circumference of the glass

The nose is exceptional. Tons of lemon peel, citrus, bretty goodness. Granny Smith apples play a big role here as well.

The taste follows suit on the nose. Really exceptional and clean. Tons of tart lemony flavors along with a big Granny Smith apple puckering flavor. Very Dry. Yum.

The mouth feel is surprising but not expected. It is pretty aggressive on the carbonation but I feel that it adds to the tart characteristics of the beer rather that distract. Embraces the "Brute" label. Highly recommended. I hope this gets to see distribution again rather than a brewery release.

Batch E!37

A-Cloudy yellow-orange, two finger head well carbonated but goes flat after a while.

S-Lemon, tartness with some wheat.

T-Lemon, wheat. Not overly sour more of a well balanced tartness.

M-Light an very carbonated at first, but it starts to go flat after a while.

O-A wonderful beer. Not extremely sour but tart borderline sour. The lemon and wheat flavor is great. Glad I went to the release.

4.42/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours like a champagne. Golden color

Smells very sweet and a little sour.

Taste a bit sour, but not overbearing. You can definently taste the champagne yeast used to brew this beer.

Not something I would drink everyday, but I would definently buy this again.

4.42/5  rDev -0.2%

Tap at Armsby Abbey, four vintages 08-11.

Fizzy light head, opaque murky pale color, fresher is fairly clear but all the aged ones are very murky.

Nose funky, sour tart fruit, lemon citrus, brett funk, fresher has more of the golden Belgian malts and it gets funkier and more tart lemon as it ages.

Taste on the fresh had nice golden malts with light funk. Gets more funk and a lot more sour as it ages. Light funky barnyard brett, tart lemon citrus fruit dry grainy bready finish. Some weird sour peach and pear in some of them. Light grape skin as well. 09 is really nice sour and funky, nice fruits. 08 seems to drop off a bit but is still very tart and smooth finish. 10 is most fruit fresh peach and tart. Fresh has little funk and sour more nice Belgian ale. Nice tart sour lemon finish and a bit flemmy finish on all of them. My mouth is watering for a long time after making me continue to sip.

Mouth is med bodied, good carb.

Overall awesome, age about 3 years for perfection.

4.42/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle from Batch 1 courtesy of imperialking and opened to share at the PtY release on 2/5/10.

A: The pour is a cloudy light golden straw color with a fluffy white head.

S: The nose is not terribly complex nor funky, but has a very nice amount of lactic tartness. This provides a refreshing citrus and white grape aroma which I find very pleasing in wild ales. There is a slight touch of oak and Brett, to keep things in check.

T: This is not a terribly "funky" beer, but that does not bother me. The lemon, green apple, and grape notes go quite well with the dry and tannic feel of the beer from the wood and the Brett.

M: The body is a bit on the light side with a very high level of carbonation and a dry finish. The champagne yeast definitely provides a little something different here.

D: I've heard mixed reviews of this beer, but I found Batch 1 to be quite delicious at this point. I have a bottle of Batch 2 which I will be saving for some time as it appears this one gets better with age.

4.42/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle courtesy of charlesw, thanks again!

I'm been curious about this one for a while now. I feel that the best American Sours are made in Northern California by Vinnie at Russian Russian, let's see how a sour from upstate New York compares. This one certainly has some great scores on here.

Pours a bright and cloudy gold color. With a very big white head. It has some floaters, but it really has a nice glow to it.

Bright sour aromas. Lots of lemon, grasses, apples, pears, and really light vinegar. This one has some funk, but also has some pleasant sour fruit notes too.

Taste is very clean and crisp. Light green apple flavors, puckering lemon, and a dry mineral like bite on the finish. Sourness and brett is present, but subdued much more than I thought it would be. It adds a nice funky light vinegar backdrop, it's there, but certainly not up in your face. In a strange sort of way, this kind of reminds me of a wit beer that is brewed with brett.

Mouthfeel is good, could use a little more depth on the finish, but it's not bad at all.

Wow, I am impressed. This is a very drinkable sour. Nice sour flavors, but not over the top. Kind of reminds me of Sanctification Jr. Good stuff, and kudos Ithaca, this is a very nice interpretation of the style.

4.42/5  rDev -0.2%

Split a bottle of this with my buddy Jeff the other night. The review is from notes taken on 6/10/2010 and poured from the bottle to a tulip.

Appearance: Pour is a light coppery/apricot color and starts with a short 1/2 finger white, frothy head that fades quickly to an uneven skim on the surface; body is a little cloudy from the various yeasts; only a couple faint spots of lacing are left behind holding on to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Uh oh, when I finally managed to get the cork out, I was actually frightened by the scent as the cheese and funky barnyard blasted forth from the bottle and assaulted my nose, however, after a moment of letting it breathe, it mellowed out quite a bit and became more of a funky mulch that's actually quite pleasant and tempting; a nice citric blast of sour and tart orange and lemony zest and a bit of a sweet, syrupy corn-like scent emanates as well.

Taste: A welcome blast of citric and tart sourness that makes me pucker with every sip; the funk is really hidden by the tartness and the sweet syrupy corn flavors bring about a bit of balance that's lacing in other beers with brett that I've sampled thus far; there's a bit a sweet, powdery yeasty/light breadiness to it as well. Quite awesome.

Mouthfeel: Great spritz and carbonation to it; the sour tartness is potent and makes me pucker after each sip; a thick, sticky coating that's a little dry is left all over the mouth; the acidic nature does get to the tummy a bit, but it's not awful and pretty easy to get by when I think of the great and perfectly lively body.

Drinkability: Awesome flavors, and I love the mouthfeel and the potent pucker that it brings; a great beer for the warm summer nights; definitely not a wild to start with, and I'm still pretty early in my career with this style, but if you've had a couple beers with brett and are accustomed to the funkiness, this is definitely a beer you can enjoy immensely.

Batch E!027

A: Pours a hazy golden yellow with apparent carbonation. A small amount of white head accumulates, but does not stick to the glass.

S: Sour citrus notes and funk permeate the air. Crisp smell with hints of apple.

T: Ever so crisp, dry and tart. Strong flavor of green apples, and hints of sour peach. Very refreshing, yet not understated. Wonderfully sour.

M: Mild carbonation created by the champagne yeast creates a light, crisp mouthfeel that compliments the light flavors.

D: Finishes slightly dry with a mild sour aftertaste that leaves you craving more, and more...and more. Flavors are just powerful and complex enough to stun ones taste buds into a slow leisurely drink (otherwise I'd worry about the urge to suck it down too fast)

On-tap, served in an 8oz snifter

Slightly cloudy golden color with a firm paper white cap. Good staying power with some decent retention.

Huge sour notes. Lemons, hay, barnyard, some oak, and tart fruit. The Brett is really pronounced here. Tons of layers and complexity.

On the palate, oak comes out a little more, adding a layer of woody dryness on top of the tartness and barnyard funk from the Brett. Loads of citrus and some cider vinegar lend a pretty potent sour punch.

Light bodied, effervescent and extremely crisp and dry. This is a funky little number that finishes with a nice dryness. Surprisingly easy to drink.

This beer is very impressive. Had been chasing this one for a while and finally found it on tap. It did not disappoint. Excellent sour beer.

4.42/5  rDev -0.2%

I was thinking hey I'll wait until tomorrow to try this one. Ha! Who am I kidding. I want some wild, dammit.

Pours a clouded yellow with a thicker creme head that falls fairly quickly. As I poured I took a whiff and when the Bret hit my nose I almost had an orgasm. Almost. Tart dryness really grabs the nose as well. God I love this style. Flavor is sour and dry. Hits the palate and fades, but leaves a lasting impression and a quite tolerable aftertaste. Sour is well balanced (in it's own way of course.) I even feel like I an getting some vanilla on the mix here. Feel is higher in carbonation and the liquid is a bit thick.

Ahhhh. That is just so good. I really wish more wild ales were available. I had planned to trade all my extras away of this (besides the two I have set aside already to pass on). But after trading and giving away all my Cuvee de Castleton this year, you'll have to really kiss up to me (or trade me an Isabelle, Cuvee de Tomme, Ichabod, Fifth Element, Upland lambic, etc., etc.) to get this out of my sour fingers. I just love this style. And this is another fine example of why.

Crazy love to charlesw for the hookup on this. Thanks a million man!!

4.42/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Light Golden with a little bit of haze. White head that stuck around and left some lacing.

S: Great aroma pouring off this beer, spicy, fruity, champagne like.

T: Clean, Crisp, fruity, hints of peaches. Great sour flavor but not to much bight. Great light finish, almost dry at the end.

M: Light, good carbonation. Feels very dry and open upon swallowing.

O: Very refreshing and enjoyable beer. Great sour ale with a lot of interesting flavors blended together really well.

4.42/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to tenderbranson69 for sharing this at our wild ale tasting- poured from the bottle into a tulip.

Interesting to know it is bottle conditioned, but I guess most wild ales are. The color is deep golden like apple juice with head of white w/ good retention - tight bead and mildly hazed in the clarity dept. There are lots of fruity odors w/ slight funky ester and mild grain notes w/ subtle tangy of citrus and mild mango w/ a aroma of mineola which is sweet juicy and citrus fragrance. There is a similarity to grapefruit and the levity of kumquat is noted with its sweet/sour dichotomy. The feeel is very good w/ strong sweet and mild tannic bitter edge combined with a highly carbonted texture and slight tangy fruity element w/ semi-dry finkish and light sweet essence from the malt in the residual taste.

A great juicy and dry citrus taste w/ flesh, peel flavor and very broad range of tangy mixed with tropical elements and mild lemony bitter edges. The flavor of tangerines and slight acidic bite of grapefruit w/ accent of sweet fruit blanacing with an orange/mango combinated, light pineapple in the background and subtle taste of toasted malt w/ juiciness pretty strong and lasting into the finish. The drinkability is high - a wild ale I have enjoyed multiple times on tap and bottle, this is intensely sour and yet doesn't go to far. There is enough other flavors from the malt and adjuct to give it balance and retains complexity while giving slight puckering astringent and still has some residual sweetness

4.42/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Batch 4 (E!037)

A - Bottle opens with a solid pop. Murky pale straw pour into Excelsior tulip. Smallish head falls down slowly. Lacing is exquisite.

S - Lemon, citrus, huge earthy funk, as well as barnyard and leather character (leather especially as the glass warms), along with big green apple.

T - Sweet malt (pils and corn sweetness apparent) opens to Brett earthiness and green apple. Light lemon and citrus initially. Some other indistinct light fruit, a cider flavor, with pear standing out, as well. Leather and decent level of tartness in the finish, in addition to some tannins from the oak. Really interesting balance between sweetness, earthiness/funk. Was expecting more tartness or sour in the finish, but there is plenty there as is to balance out the beer.

M - Light-medium bodied.

O - After having batches 1-3, I was expecting more tartness or sourness in the finish. However, this is a wonderfully balanced, complex brew. If the acedic character of batch 3 got you down, this is the Brute for you. My only regret is that I wasn't up in Ithaca for the release, but happy as always to have gotten my share. Cheers to Jeff on another fantastic batch of Brute.

4.42/5  rDev -0.2%

Dark gold pour with a nice white head. Good looking beer. Smell is everything I hoped for - zesty and slightly funky. It tastes great. Sour and sweet, not too tangy. Mouthfeel is highly carbonated, but drinks good for the style. Gets smoother as it warms. I'd buy this again if I ever see it again.

Thanks to JCB!

Pours a golden yellow, with maybe the faintest hint of orange. Huge white foam head that fills the glass and basically looks like a champagne head. Ridiculous foam on every pour. Nice to see some brewers still carbonate their beer!

Smell is a clean, tight horseblanket aroma with hints of lemon, vinegar, and a surprising wheat/citrus/tropical fruit (cantaloupe?) overtone.

The beer is as dry as the Sahara. You'll feel like having some water between your sips. No sweetness whatsoever to be found. Somewhat disappointingly, the complex nose doesn't carry through. This is a razor sharp, one-note flavor on display. Sour apple, pungent lemon, and a vinous note merge into a very harmonious, but also very focused, taste. Typically with a beer of this quality, I'll discover a different nuance throughout the tasting. Not this time. The beer basically "is what it is."

Love the mouthfeel. At first I thought "too many bubbles," but this brew needs it. It really has the feel and taste of a dry white wine gone musty-sour, in a good way.

4.42/5  rDev -0.2%

Special thanks to Huzuhbendah for having this one at his house for a really cool tasting. Matt for President!

A: Clear, and sort of an orange-brown (in that order) color, and with a few bubbles collecting in the corner posing as a head.

S: Sort of a sour, brown sugar-esque quality, that was quite organic and gourmet in nature. Nothing fake about this one!

T: On the taste, the sourness overpowers the brown sugar a bit, but not by much. This was not a sour bomb in any way, shape, or form and I did not sense my jaw starting to lock even once.

M: The carbonation was low, which I quite expected, and the lacing was virtually nill. I didn't get anything that remotely resemble a vinegary linger and my palate stayed quite please throughout the siphoning of my share. I highly recommend this one! ISO:???

4.43/5  rDev 0%

Received a my second bottle of this in a recent trade with Nonstick. Thanks!

Appearance- Pours a very bright but hazy straw color with a massive three-fingers or so of puffy white head that sticks around quite a bit for a wild ale and leaves some lacing as well. Dies back gradually to a thin sheeting across the top. Looks lovely in the glass.

Smell- Wow, a whole lot of fresh lemon zest on the nose here. It is up front, refreshing, and dominant but with some mild funk showing through towards the end. Just a very mild touch of lactic sourness on the end as well.

Taste- Again, big on lemon flavors. Lots of lemon zest but in no way overdone on the sourness. Some mild funk enters in about mid palate and finishes again on a very mild note of lactic tartness.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is light and well carbonated. Drinkability is fantastic and this makes a great, refreshing warm weather drink. Not the best American Wild Ale I've had but definitely one of the most refreshing and easiest to drink.

Overall, a very solid wild ale with exceptional drinkability. Give it a try if you haven't.

4.43/5  rDev 0%

Poured from 750ml bottle. Many many thanks go out to betsona and Lukafer for both bringing bottles to the tasting!

A- Pours a hazy golden yellow color. The middle of the beer is more golden color than the rest of the beer. Two and a half finger white head shows fantastic retention. Lots of sticky thick lacing which is sheety on the sides of the glass.

S- From the first sniff I get tons of brett funk with a nice underlying citrusy lemon tone. Oak comes through next and stays with a light grassy barnyard aroma. Hints of wet grain lead up in the backing of the aroma along with light green apple. The brett in this calm and very relaxed which I found to be nice at least in the aroma department

T- Upon first sip the brett comes out in a nice light pucking tone. Light green apple quickly gets covered with a large citrus tone that becomes a dominate flavor in this beer. Light wet grain/hay flavor in the the underbody mix well with a light woody note. The sourness in this beer to me is very calm and this leads to more flavors coming through. Lemon screams throughout the beer in both over and undertones depending on the portion of the beer. Light sweetness on the ending along with hints of alcohol and a mellowing brett overtone.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. High alcohol drying on the palate but doesn't take away from overall mouthfeel. Lemon, brett, and light oak left on the palate. Aftertaste is hints of alcohol, barrel notes, sourness, lemon, and wet hay are left in the aftertaste. Flavors were very well balanced more so than most beers like this. No off flavors were detected while drinking.

O- I thought this beer was amazing. A nice mellow wild ale that drinks fantastic. Lower ABV makes this a whole 750ml drinker if you dare. To be honest it was much more than I thought it could be.

4.43/5  rDev 0%

Extremely careful pour still engulfs the glass with 4 fingers of head that camps out forever and leaves thick lacing. Murky golden straw color with some effervescent bubbles rising to the top.

Smell is faintly tart grapes, orange peel, tangerine, pineapple, a little sour twang, and traces of Brett.

The taste is an absolutely wonderful blast of citric fruit up front. Pineapple galore, brett funk, oranges, apples, lots of pear, white grapes. Sourness is fairly subdued but still noticeable mid palate. Not quite puckering, but still enough to add another flavor dimension. The taste of this beer is absolutely phenomenal, there is really no better way to describe it.

Mouthfeel is light with a truckload of prickly carbonation. Fairly normal for the style, but I would have a bit less prickle in a perfect world.

Drinkability is off the charts here. I almost want to chug this, and that is a rare occurance for a sour beer. The citrus component of this beer is insanely complex, and the subdued levels of funk and sourness may disappoint some people but I personally feel they are at perfectly fine for what this beer is trying to be. Bravo to Ithaca, I regret not trying this beer sooner.

Brute from Ithaca Beer Company