Cold Front | Ithaca Beer Company

Added by WesWes on 09-04-2009

1.75/5  rDev -51.7%

1.75/5  rDev -51.7%

2.04/5  rDev -43.6%

Aromas are all Belgian; dark fruits, mostly prune, and a mild spice notes. Some light hops but this is mainly caramely/candy sugars, not bad but there's something missing.

The taste is hard to swallow, literally... Some malty dark fruits but the yeast flavor is extremely overpowering and the banana/cloviness is so prolific and one-dimensional it makes the mouthfell suffer as well. I do not think the "dark farmhouse" worked out as well as the brewer hoped, really hit or miss so far for me on the Ithaca collection.

2.37/5  rDev -34.5%

NOTE: best before date says April, drank in November. Poured into a pilsner glass.

A - Beautiful, deep mahogany brown. Tall head that creamed up nicely.

S - Light booze, mild spice.

T - Woody-charcoal, maybe some oak. Light resiny hop bitterness in the back of your palate. The flavors are pretty dead. The charcoal doesn't feel right.

M - The body feels too light. The flavors slip down my throat before I really had a chance to catch them, and all I was left with was a dry rolling charcoal.

D - Try it if you can find it fresh, Ithaca is a great brewery and it's my own fault for not waiting to find a non-expired bottle :( Definitely send this back if it's past the freshness date.

2.49/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Very dark brown with a copper tint, but not opaque. Ver little lacing.

Faint toasted malt scent.

Label says Belgian style amber, not sure why though. Coffee is the predominant taste with a slight sour aftertaste.

Very watery with almost no noticeable carbonation.

Reminds me more of a weak and watery stout than a Belgian.

2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

2.73/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured from 12 ounce glass with a very generous 2 inch or so of head. The color is very dark almost like a dubbel. Yeasty, spices in the scent. Flavors of bread dominate, a few notes of fruity sweetness. But mostly yeast flavored. Alcohol is pretty apparent and warming. Not flavorful enough to reach for this one again.

2.76/5  rDev -23.8%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: A murky brownish color with a hint of read. A large two finger off white head leaves nice glass lacing.

S: Bready and grainy with some musty funk and dark fruit. Some caramel sweetness comes through.

T: Yeasty funk up front with darker fruit flavors, grains, caramel malt, some sugar sweetness and a huge very offensive metallic flavor on finish. The finish is really turning me off.

M: A bit thin with alcohol flavor and that metallic taste.

D: Low, I could barely finish the bottle.

Overall not my favorite Ithaca beer by a longshot. I really did not enjoy this beer and will not reach for it again. Shame.

2.8/5  rDev -22.7%

Picked this beer in a make your own six pack @ Wegman's. I consumed straight out of the bottle. Perhaps I would have gotten a better sense of this beer if I had consumed it in a chalice or had more than one, but overall, it just struck me as being very weird. Like drinking Yoohoo from a swimming pool. There was a weird taste I couldn't describe, my boyfriend called it floral (which I can understand coming from Ithaca) but to me, it was awkward...like chlorine.

2.8/5  rDev -22.7%

Thanks to shrek806 for this extra! 12oz brown glass pry-top bottle. Best Before notched between the N and D.

Pours a calm dark dark amber brown with some very thin off-white head.

Aroma is fairly muted with some burnt caramel notes and a little wooliness. Toasty oak chips come to mind.

Palate is crisp but oddly astringent. Hop bitterness right off the bat, with some faint yeast-driven acidity that makes this a mouth-watering brew when agitated. Dark caramel and generic Belgian yeast notes. Something tastes burnt in here, like over-toasted oak chips or something.

Notes: Not impressed. I think it's needs some re-tooling in the yeast department.

2.81/5  rDev -22.4%

A: Pours a dark brown with garnet highlights. Head is beige, nice retention, and leaves light lacing.

S: Nose is interesting with Belgian yeast, herbal hop bitterness, spices, dark fruits, & caramel and bready malts. Nothing too over powering and slightly on the weak side.

T: An unusal combination of dark fruits, an odd oaky taste, toasted bready malts, spices, some earthy hop bitterness, and finishes with a farmhouse funk. The difference flavors don't mix well and seem to be competing with each other.

M: Medium body; light carbonation; creamy and smooth mouthfeel.

O: Overall, I don't think this is a terrible ale, I just think that there is too much going on. In my opinion, the Belgian style mixed with the amber ale style doesn't mix well here. I personally wouldn't drink it and even though I got a six pack, I'll probably give the rest of the pack away.

Cold Front from Ithaca Beer Company