$5 Shake | Ithaca Beer Company

ithacabeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by jrallen34 on 02-20-2010

2.68/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I'm sad to say that the $5 shake wasn't all that great. It's the eleventh anniversary beer in Heaven hill barrels. I'm guessing it's wine barrels. Anyway it pours pitch black with zero head. The aroma is coffee stout with a sourness. It's not very enticing. The taste is much the same. It's a flat coffee stout with a sour finish. The mouthfeel is awful;' dead flat. I was hoping for something special here, but hey, you can't win em' all and these guys hit the mark on most of their beers. Keep em' comin' Chief!

3.32/5  rDev +8.9%

I drank this into a tasting glass at NoTB.

The beer pours black with a light tan head that doesn't rise much. The lacing and retention are poor.

The aroma is very strong with lots of sweetness, maple syrup, bourbon and some oak at the end.

The taste has similar notes of the aroma but the beer is so light feeling that it is distracting to the drinker. I want a fuller feel. It finishes poorly as well with some light bitter coffee which really reminds me of a week old cup of coffee.

Overall, the beer started out nice and I had high hopes. However, the feel and finish just destroy this beer.

$5 Shake from Ithaca Beer Company