Flower Power India Pale Ale | Ithaca Beer Company

Ithaca Beer Company
New York, United States
ithacabeer.com

Style: American IPA

Enjoy the clover honey hue and tropical nose. Simultaneously punchy and soothing with a big body and a finish that boasts pineapple and grapefruit. Flower Power is hopped and dry-hopped five different times throughout the brewing and fermentation process.

Added by Todd on 09-17-2002

1.5/5  rDev -64%

1.75/5  rDev -58%

2.08/5  rDev -50.1%

2.11/5  rDev -49.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

2.12/5  rDev -49.2%

This beer is a beautiful color and pours well. However the flower smell and taste is far to strong for me. While it may be a great beer for some, I will not be drinking it again. Just not my taste or style.

2.16/5  rDev -48.2%

This beer was bland. Maybe I got a pack that had been on the shelf too long but it was in the store's cooler. I am a huge fan of IPA's and -- although I prefer them with a very strong hoppiness -- frankly this just had very little taste overall. I really did try to like it. I like Ithaca's beers and dig the name :). But after all 6 I still felt like I was just drinking water with some hop flavour.

EDIT: On a plus note, if you know someone who wants an introduction to IPA's this would probably be OK. I tend to give 2's only to beers I don't want to buy again -- doesn't mean it was "bad", just I thought it was far off from good.

2.19/5  rDev -47.5%

Maybe my batch was infected, because all I could taste and smell was kale. This beer was recommended to me by the bartender, and I assume she tasted it because she steered me away from another beer she felt was too weak and recommended this one. I guess there's a slight chance a wild yeast got in some time after she tried it and before I did, because this was not a pleasant experience at all.

2.25/5  rDev -46%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

2.37/5  rDev -43.2%

I had heard excellent things about this beer and was excited to try it out. Poured into a pint glass, had an nice golden orange color to it, with a nice white head on it.

The smell is the best thing this beer has going for it. Very strong smell. Full of citrus, very piney, and a really florally hops scent.

Taste was very deceiving. I expected a very strong flavor based on the strong smell. This was not the case. All of the tastes that were present in the smell were there, but very faint, and hard to distinguish. I have never tasted a beer before that left such a discrepancy between smell and taste.

Mouthfeel was the worst part. It was so watery, had no body, and the flavor was gone as soon as it was swallowed.

Overall- I did not enjoy this beer at all. I actually poured half of it. It's not that it was terrible, it was just not worth the alcohol or calories when I had a lot of better beers to get to this night.

2.45/5  rDev -41.2%

Best by April

Appearance - Two fingers of soapy head rest on top of a very cloudy caramelized amber beer. Quite opaque a musty looking.

Smell - Smells of rich malts, caramelized hops and hops. The hops smell sweet and are not overpowering.

Taste - Definitely a musky, old tasting IPA. Notes of citrus and heavy malts on the finish.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - I was not too impressed with this IPA. It tastes as if it didn't age well, even though I drank it before the best-before date. It has the usual IPA qualities of being filled with hops, citrus and caramely malts. But they just seem aged, old, rotten and skunked.

2.48/5  rDev -40.5%