Flower Power India Pale Ale | Ithaca Beer Company

Ithaca Beer Company
New York, United States
ithacabeer.com

Style: American IPA

Enjoy the clover honey hue and tropical nose. Simultaneously punchy and soothing with a big body and a finish that boasts pineapple and grapefruit. Flower Power is hopped and dry-hopped five different times throughout the brewing and fermentation process.

Added by Todd on 09-17-2002

Ratings: 5,257 |  Reviews: 1,285

4.67/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

IMHO the best smelling IPA I have tried! The hop aromas are incredible!
Taste is great...very balance...I would have scored it higher but there is a funky little (very faint) aftertaste that I don't care for...However it is an amazing IPA and I can't wait to visit the brewery the next time I go to the Finger Lakes (NY).

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

4.63/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow, that is my initial impression. The pour was a light golden tone with a small head that disappeared rather quickly.

But I didnt have to bring the glass to my nose to realize that this was going to be a good hoppy beer.

Nothing disappointment me with this beer. I love my stouts this time of year, but I always love a good hoppy IPA.

The typical grassy, citrus grapefruit aroma and taste came through full, rich, noticeable, but still very easy

The taste was even better than the aroma. The first sip was nice, the second sip better, then third even better and better. This was an easy beer to drink, but each sip let you know you were drinking a quality brew....

I purchased one six pack for everyone to try at the store and one six pack for me!

02/14/13
Another IPA in my review. Just like the other ones, this came down just a notch. I felt it didnt have the overall body and fullness that the others had

09/12/13
Another time with this one... Everything I said about it before still holds so very true.
This is more than first class. What I really enjoyed about it this time was the mouthful. It was big, hoppy, so balanced, bitter, but not to bitter, full, but not to full. I've tasted other IPAs or DIPAs that I've rated higher for specific reasons, but Flower Power overall has everything I want for a special beer or even an every day beer.
This beer is slowly becoming my number one IPA! And I love so many different ones. I only wish we could get more of this

4.42/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light amber color with a decent head and nice lacing.

I get mostly citrus followed by some earthy hop aroma.

This is one of the most drinkable IPA's I've ever had. It's got big hops, a nice malt counterpoint, a fruity complexity and just a touch of alcohol heat.

Medium carbonation and a nice dry finish.

Unlike some IPA's this beer leaves you wanting more. It has a nice hop profile without being overly bitter. It might be the best "session" IPA's out there. Definitely recommend this brew.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sampled on tap at Mug's Ale House in Brooklyn.

Light, yellowish golden with a slight haze and a small white head. Nice floral hop aroma. I can see where the name comes from. Fantastic balanced flavor with equal contributions from hop flavor and bitterness. The malt is noticeable. A creamy texture.

A great beer with excellent harmony and an amazing freshness.

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- Pours hazy and light golden in color. Two to three fingers of dense, frothy head that retains and laces very well. Level of haze in the body of the beer is very high.

S- Medium to high hops bitterness and flavors are first to hit the nose. More of a floral scent than a piney scent, as the name would promise. Lots of fruit notes, with citrus tones being foremost of the fruits. Other than that, fairly one dimensional with the hops flavors.

T- Starts with a big bang of hops bitterness. The bitterness in the taste is more bitter and piney than in the scent. Citrus notes move in next after the initial hops bite. Ends with a similar hops kick that it began with.

M- Highly carbonated and light to medium in weight on the palate. The high hops bitterness at the beginning and end of the drink make this one a slower drink. Cannot feel the alcohol in the drink, but you can feel it after drinking it for a bit.

Overall, this is a great IPA for the hop head. Pretty high level of bitterness. A little underhyped compared to others, but this is a solid, above average IPA.

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle from Nail Creek in Utica, NY. Poured into Duvel tulip.

A - A hazy yellowish orange hue with a big frothy white head. The head attaches to the glass the whole way down.

S - Hops! Fresh cut grass, grapefruit, orange zest, pine, and spicy floral notes. I do pick up a little bit of that malt, but make no mistake this one is very hoppy and resinous on the nose.

T - A grapefruit, citrus, and spicy hop explosion. The malt is definietly lending a hand to keep this beer in check. FP finishes citrusy and earthy with a nice hoppy bitterness.

M - Medium bodied, with a low level of carbonation. For such a sticky body, it actually finishes quite dry.

O - Ithaca has absolutely knocked this one out of the park. Very hop forward and aggressive, but the malts brings a nice balance. The tropical hop flavors are pretty impressive, especially coming from a brewery out of central NY. Insanely drinkable. I'm always on the hunt for Flower Power whenever I'm up in NY.

3.84/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours a nearly crystal clear pale gold, with a substantial white head. Moderate lacing on the glass.

Smell: As the name suggests, the floral hops hit the nose right away, along with a light earthy scent. Pale malt does its job, rounding things out without detracting from the hops. As the beer warms, a hint of honey is detected.

Taste: Hop bitterness and flavor are appropriately high, with the hops tasting of lavender and spice. The pale base malt is mildly sweet, bringing balance to the profile. The bitterness lingers well into the finish, along with a sort of soapy taste of floral perfume.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body, with medium-high carbonation that adds to the dryness of the finish, but without imparting harshness.

Overall: The strong floral character is definitely different! I can see the appeal, but I might have added just a bit of citrus hops to make the flavor more refreshing and less eau de toilette. Definitely worth trying.

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

Been wanting to try this one for awhile. I am lucky enough to get a lot of 3F Zombie and heard a lot of people say it was similar. Its not. BUT make no mistake. This is a GREAT beer. The mouthfeel is similar to Zombie but that's about it. The bottle I had was fairly new. The smell while having an nice citrus note was pale in comparison to Zombie. I got a good bit of grain/malt smell which was refreshing. Not everything has to be all Hops right?

The appearance was lighter than I expected. Looked almost unfiltered and mostly a tan/yellow haze and the core of the beer had a orange hue.

The taste is world-class. It is really good...like...really...really good. I actually just had another sip and changed my taste rating to 4.75

Pretty much if you can buy it frequently...you are lucky

If you can't buy it frequently and you see it....buy it

If you can't get it....there is a trade section on this site.

Outstanding beer...Cheers