Flower Power India Pale Ale | Ithaca Beer Company

Ithaca Beer Company
New York, United States
ithacabeer.com

Style: American IPA

Enjoy the clover honey hue and tropical nose. Simultaneously punchy and soothing with a big body and a finish that boasts pineapple and grapefruit. Flower Power is hopped and dry-hopped five different times throughout the brewing and fermentation process.

Added by Todd on 09-17-2002

#851

Ratings: 5,305 |  Reviews: 1,295
4.74/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Strong hop smack aroma with a generous head. This beer is really enjoyable. This is my first brew from Ithaca and I am impressed. Flower Power is a high quality IPA that stands upright in the crowded field of legendary IPA's. The only drawback for me is the bitterness which is slightly high for my liking.

Bottom Line: Great IPA worth the money. Would purchase again.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a clear golden yellow, a hair brighter than a miller high life. Thin white head dissipates to a thick outer ring and a pond of froth on top.

Aroma is light, with faint citrus hops and very mild bready malt. A bit of orange, tangerine and lemon zest.
Flavor is heavy on the hops. A tongue filling blend of pine, mild mint leaves, grass, lime zest, grapefruit and tangerine. Balanced well despite an existing but nuetral 2 row like malt base. Vibrant flavor, well balanced.

Hop bitterness floods all parts of the tongue. Medium body, low carbonation.

A great ipa. Well balanced with a wide variety of hop flavor, medium bitterness and high drinkability despite its abv.

4.99/5  rDev +18%

Great IPA. Citrusy taste with the perfect amount of hops. My perfect IPA. This is a beer I can keep drinking all night. I have drank many different IPAs and they do not come close to this beer. Smooth finish with a good after taste. I will buying this beer wherever I see it.

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

March 27th, 2013

Bottle says BB May, 2013 - ~1 month old.

The nose is dominated by grapefruit, mango, and citrus with a touch of piney hops and a slight sweetness from the malt body. Great nose.

It's extremely hoppy upfront, it mirrors the nose - citrus, grapefruit and mango are punchy and powerful. In the mid-palate the piney and resinous hops comes through and it finishes bitter with slight hoppy resins. Throughout the hops are underpinned by a bisquity malt body that sufficiently balances the hops while still placing them on center-stage.

Medium mouthfeel - simple, perfect for an IPA.

Overall this is a fantastic IPA that is so easy to drink. It's refreshing and awesome when fresh. This is my go to beer when I can get it fresh.

4.49/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received in a trade from jageraholic. Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Deschutes tulip...

A - Pours a very murky golden orange color, with a foamy/soapy slightly off-white 2 finger head that leaves some spotty lacing as it fades.

S - Juicy, fruity citrus aromas. Mangos, papaya and pineapples. Smells delicious!

T/M - This IPA is extremely balanced. Starts off with a nice malt base, honey and carmel that evolves to the fruity hoppiness. Really great hop aftertaste, resinous and bitter. Medium slightly slick mouthfeel.

O - A damn fine example of a style! One of the best AIPAs I've ever had hands down! A big thanks to jageraholic for sending me 4 of these bad boys! He said once I tried one, I'd be left wanting more... he wasn't wrong.

I just poured this one after a year or so break from Flower Power and this confirms my past thoughts and feelings. For my taste (I am a brewer) this is pretty much a perfect IPA.
Just a beautiful nose, nice sweet malt profile (I am assuming it was mashed out as high of a temp as possible), the hops profile is astounding! Not to much simcoe (think cat pee smell) not to much bittering hops and a pile of flavoring hops. Must be dry hopped to the max!To capture the nose, a wide wine glass does the trick. You may miss it if you drink it from the bottle.

Carbonation = stellar

Why in the heck would we rate a beer on appearance, who cares?
FYI we are lucky to have the inventor working up here at Peekskill Brewery now, and it seems every beer they put out now has a bit of the FP magic.

If I find an IPA beer thats better I will just have to give it a 5.1 but as long as one doesn't drink a 5 every single day it should stay a 5. I am not going to wait until I die to give a beer a 5. I think 20 years of testing is fine.

Flower Power India Pale Ale from Ithaca Beer Company