Flower Power India Pale Ale | Ithaca Beer Company

Ithaca Beer Company
New York, United States
ithacabeer.com

Style: American IPA

Enjoy the clover honey hue and tropical nose. Simultaneously punchy and soothing with a big body and a finish that boasts pineapple and grapefruit. Flower Power is hopped and dry-hopped five different times throughout the brewing and fermentation process.

Added by Todd on 09-17-2002

Ratings: 5,258 |  Reviews: 1,286
4.21/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to JLoPMac for throwing this one in as an extra!

A- Pale amber body with pretty good transparency. Thin layer of white bubbles on top.

S- Piney and juicy citrus hop aromas mixed in with biscuity malts.

T- Nice balanced flavors with more hop flavor than the aroma would indicate. Big juicy flavors with the malt coming through just enough to balance.

M- Medium bodied, medium carbonation. I find myself gulping this one more than sipping due to the great drinkability.

O- Impressive IPA. The nose left a little more to be desired, but the flavor is excellent.

4.37/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured into my new IPA-Specific beer glass that was designed by Dogfish Head and Sierra Nevada. The enjoy by date on this beer was March/April of 2013.

Appearance - This poured a golden color with a bit of haze. A 1-finger cream colored head laid atop with lacing that remains around the top of the glass. Carbonation is visible with plenty of bubbles floating to the top of the beer. Overall, a decent color, but nothing spectacular.

Smell - Hops shine through and through on this one. I can see where the name was derived from as the floral/grassy/piney notes shine through brightly here. The citrus/grapefruit flavors linger in the background and compliment the floral notes nicely.

Taste - Excellent taste that resembles the floral/citrus smell. Floral notes are throughout with grapefruit and slight orange linger throughout the mouth. Definite bitterness from the hops that remains for a bit.

Mouthfeel - Medium-to-full bodied with a bit of carbonation. There is definitely some dryness and stickiness within the mouth.

Overall - This is a great IPA with an amazing smell and taste. The taste and smell has a great combo of floral and citrus flavors from the hops. It is exactly what you want out of the IPA. The appearance and mouthfeel weren't as great compared to the smell and taste, but that is just a minor issue in my own opinion. Overall, a great IPA when fresh. Cheers!

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to WassailWilly for this one.

A - a deep straw golden color pours, with a nice frothy white head and frothy lacing abundant in my tulip-pint

S - I truly hate to compare beers, even though I do it all the time, but this one smells a lot like ZD; the floral hops are present, with a subtle touch of pine and wheat-zest; there are certainly some grassy notes here too

T - I have to say, that taste-wise, this beer hits a lot of the right balanced notes of an IPA: pine, floral hop, citrus, orange-peel, lemon zest, a touch of apricot: that said, the flavors aren't really all that flavorful. I'm not sure if it's the hop variety used, but being a CO guy, I tend to expect a bit more of a punch from my 'bigger' IPAs

M - honestly, this one shines on the mouthfeel...it's perfectly balanced, has the right amount of carbonation, makes me want to drink all day and in the summer sun...which makes this beer top-notch in any regard: give me 7.5% in something I can slug without overwhelming anything, and you've got yourself a winner

O - I probably overdid my explanation in the M category, but again...this beer is extremely well-balanced, very drinkable in session form, and has the perfect amount of flavor, abv, and carbonation. I think this is where FlowerPower shines...it's accessibility. It's not too much for a normie, and just enough for a serious BA. I dig it and what it stands for. And spending my undergraduate days not too far away from Ithaca, I only wish I indulged in this one WAY more often in college.

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

2.12/5  rDev -49.2%

This beer is a beautiful color and pours well. However the flower smell and taste is far to strong for me. While it may be a great beer for some, I will not be drinking it again. Just not my taste or style.

Flower Power India Pale Ale from Ithaca Beer Company