Flower Power India Pale Ale | Ithaca Beer Company

Flower Power India Pale AleFlower Power India Pale Ale

Ithaca Beer Company
New York, United States

Style: American IPA

Enjoy the clover honey hue and tropical nose. Simultaneously punchy and soothing with a big body and a finish that boasts pineapple and grapefruit. Flower Power is hopped and dry-hopped five different times throughout the brewing and fermentation process.

Added by Todd on 09-17-2002

Ratings: 5,347 |  Reviews: 1,305
4.3/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to WassailWilly for this one.

A - a deep straw golden color pours, with a nice frothy white head and frothy lacing abundant in my tulip-pint

S - I truly hate to compare beers, even though I do it all the time, but this one smells a lot like ZD; the floral hops are present, with a subtle touch of pine and wheat-zest; there are certainly some grassy notes here too

T - I have to say, that taste-wise, this beer hits a lot of the right balanced notes of an IPA: pine, floral hop, citrus, orange-peel, lemon zest, a touch of apricot: that said, the flavors aren't really all that flavorful. I'm not sure if it's the hop variety used, but being a CO guy, I tend to expect a bit more of a punch from my 'bigger' IPAs

M - honestly, this one shines on the mouthfeel...it's perfectly balanced, has the right amount of carbonation, makes me want to drink all day and in the summer sun...which makes this beer top-notch in any regard: give me 7.5% in something I can slug without overwhelming anything, and you've got yourself a winner

O - I probably overdid my explanation in the M category, but again...this beer is extremely well-balanced, very drinkable in session form, and has the perfect amount of flavor, abv, and carbonation. I think this is where FlowerPower shines...it's accessibility. It's not too much for a normie, and just enough for a serious BA. I dig it and what it stands for. And spending my undergraduate days not too far away from Ithaca, I only wish I indulged in this one WAY more often in college.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

2.12/5  rDev -49.8%

This beer is a beautiful color and pours well. However the flower smell and taste is far to strong for me. While it may be a great beer for some, I will not be drinking it again. Just not my taste or style.

4.52/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Nice deep golden color with small head when poured.

S: Typical lovely hoppy smell of IPA. Lots of piney and citrus along with some dank.

T: Great tasting IPA. Just like the nose, piney and citrus. Nice crisp dank bitterness that hit, lingers just long enough with a piney end. Great balance.

M: Nice body, good carbonation and def not the lightest IPA on the palate. Almost a creamy texture.

O: A wonderful example of an IPA. Name def suits this beer. I would def search this out again and glad I have a few more. A must have if you are an IPA fan.

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

3.25/5  rDev -23%

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

4.16/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from bottle, BB Feb., 2013, into a snifter. 1-inch fluffy white head dissipates pretty quick, leaving some nice lacing behind. Very thin head, small layer not obvious. Pale orange in color, with some yellow and gold in there as well.

Hop aroma, with pine, citrus, and sweet fruit. Smells a little crisp and tart.

Full bodied citrus and pine hops, with mango and pineapple in there as well. It does have a zesty, spicey/peppery citrus (lemon) bite to it that's delicious, tart and crisp at the same time.

Feel is smooth but spicey, above medium carbonation, but creamy at the same time. It has a sweet, pulpy aftertaste.

Overall this is an excellent IPA. So glad I got try this again before a BB date. I have no idea how often it's brewed, but I would prob grab a six pack or 2 (at least) if I could get it. Cheers.

Flower Power India Pale Ale from Ithaca Beer Company