Flower Power India Pale Ale | Ithaca Beer Company

Flower Power India Pale AleFlower Power India Pale Ale

Ithaca Beer Company
New York, United States

Style: American IPA

Enjoy the clover honey hue and tropical nose. Simultaneously punchy and soothing with a big body and a finish that boasts pineapple and grapefruit. Flower Power is hopped and dry-hopped five different times throughout the brewing and fermentation process.

Added by Todd on 09-17-2002

Ratings: 5,349 |  Reviews: 1,305
4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a golden orange,with a one finger plus white head. Not much retention, but decent lacing. Aroma is of earthy,piney hops,with a fruity edge. Body is medium and carbonated. Taste is of citrus,and pine,with a sweet fruit balance that made this one of the best IPA's I've had.

4.24/5  rDev +0.5%

poured on tap at mugs ale house Brooklyn NY

Poured a lovely amber with virutally no head, thin white sudsy layer on the surface.

Obvious pine and citrus notes are present on the nose but this goes far beyond that...there is some earthiness present with some Elderberry scents. An extremely floral nose, backed up nicely by some sweet bready malts.

Hop Bomb on the tongue cirtus flavors mixed with bready malts. Extremely floral

Medium body, light carbonation crisp finish

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

after a long drive through driving rain, I arrived in i-town and had a pint of this. I also had other pints and later tastes at the brewery and also a growler to take home. Bottom line is that this is my first review in several months. so I find this beer wonderful, a bracing ipa and a beer with taste to inspire me to review again...
I understand they refomulated this recipe this year, they build on the hops of the moment- should I say SIMCOE, big news from this reviewer is they blend with a few others so I find this beer with the bracing quality that I found eye opening in the weyerbacher double simcoe vein but with much more balance and drinkability..
Now mind you I pride myself on my ipa taste, Stone is my fav followed by local heroes victory and the hop devil. but I must tell you that I really really enjoyed this ipa.
If I think about one word for this ipa its bracing a bracing bitterness that stands up to the spiciest, clears your head but has that balanced nuance that makes this beer exceedingly delicious and drinkable. grat clarity and creamy lacing, I was drinking the freshest beer in the beer's hometown this weekend. Great balance and wonderful taste- grapfruit, pine and strong even sustained bitterness from first taste to last burp.
this is a wonderful beer. Underrated and under the radar kind of like this brewery. By fresh by local is the key here, though I understand they distribute through a number of east coast distributers. Try this beer if you can and drink it in its hometown if possible. It is goregous!

3.57/5  rDev -15.4%

Suprise bottle in the back of the fridge at a party where everyone thought Yuengling lager was "the good stuff."

To be perfectly honest, this beer isn't all that fresh in my memory, so I'll give you what I remember: crisp aroma, with grapefruit and pineapple dominant. The flavor profile opens with some light fruity hop-oil flavors, and ends with subdued (but not totally gutless) bitterness. It was appropriately carbonated, and wasn't at all weighed down with excessive malts. Poundably drinkable.

This was a nice little IPA, and a very pleasant surprise.

NOTE: I see these guys are making a Belgian IPA-- it sounds like Ithaca Beer Company might be a name to watch.

3.87/5  rDev -8.3%

This was my favorite beer from their summer pack. I enjoy it cause it is something different this IPA would easily be distinguishable from others in a taste test. Not for everybody but still well liked by most. Pours with a fluffy white head that dissipates quickly but leaves behind some good lacing while hanging on the the top of the brew. Has a clear golden orange color.

The nose is intriguing. Has notes of malt, hops (floral, earthy and piny all in one). Also has a peachy fruit like fragrance.

The taste is once again full of piny citrusy hops, malt, and a mild fruit profile. Has a good bitter finish. I find this brew to be very well made and a nice change to the other IPA's I've been drinking lately. But I don't find it highly drinkable.

3.97/5  rDev -5.9%

Bright brassy orange beneath an attractive head of palest beige. I prefer 'dirty' IPAs (that is, unfiltered), but Flower Power India Pale Ale is pristine all the way to the bottom of the bottle. There's nothing really wrong with the appearance, it just isn't a standout.

Thanks to an unconventional hop bill (Northern Brewer and Palisades) the nose is different, while still being enjoyable. Palisades is a Tettnang variant that is supposed to be grassy and apricot-like. I'll go along with that, especially with respect to the latter. If the flavor profile follows the aroma, we have a winner.

I'm not much of a flower child, but I like Flower Power just fine. It stikes me as a well-brewed English IPA that uses more hops than most English brewers would normally use. It has a long way to go before reaching the 'tongue ravaging' stage, but then every beer of this style doesn't need to push the IBU envelope.

Although I love the C-hops with a passion, it's refreshing once in a while to drink an IPA that uses something else. Ripe apricot, bitter orange, lemongrass and pine sap occupy the high ground. Pale malt with a hint of toast (Munich malt) hold down the fort. This is well-balanced beer that, as the style dictates, favors the hoppy side of the ledger.

The mouthfeel fits the flavor profile well. It's a shade lighter than IPA average, but then that only adds to the drinkability. I can't complain about the enlivening amount of carbonation either. Well done guys.

Why is Flower Power is a seasonal? If I lived in the distribution area, I'd pester the brewery to no end until they made this well-crafted IPA a regular offering. I wish I could run out and buy a sixer right now. Thanks to BeerTruth for the bottle.

3.89/5  rDev -7.8%

Light copper/amber body topped by an off white head of modest size but above average staying power. Honestly though, it's rare that I see an IPA I don't find attractive. I can smell hints of the aroma from a distance - lightly sweet floral scents call me closer. At the nose is a very interesting citrus aroma that screams kumquats. Light hints of spiciness in there to, but I can just taste the sweet rind of a kumquat as I anticipate sipping this beer. Very pleasing aroma, and a little different than most IPAs. he first sip has a bit of sweetness up front, then the bitterness and herbal NB flavor raise the eyebrows a bit. The sweet and soft aromas belie the assertive bitterness for sure. The bitterness gives way to a bit of sweetness for a brief moment before the palate seems to be freed from everything - it's clean. But then the herbal notes creep back in. A hint of mint, a bit of grass. For this much bitterness, I'd prefer a higher alpha hop than NB to cut down on the aftertaste. But hey, it gets me to drink the beer faster to get rid of the funky finish flavors. Hop burps start up quickly. They're better than the finishing notes for sure. Mouthfeel is solid and on par with the style. Drinkability isn’t too bad, but a more pleasing finish would make me rush out and buy this one.

3.92/5  rDev -7.1%

A - Clear red body with a sticky, two-finger head. No carbonation or sedement.

S - Very fruity! Mango dominates on top of a sweet malt body that alludes to some seriously grassy hops beneath.

T - Very, very bitter - like Grapefruit, grassy hops, the bitterness overwhelms any other flavors but is pleasant nonetheless

M - Heavy carbonation in the middle, alcohol tang at the end

D - Different than last year's offering, a little less floral and more fruity. Still, a welcome change. Probably Ithaca's most drinkable.

2.7/5  rDev -36%

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass. Light copper color with a very thin white head.

Aroma is not very interesting. Some flowery hops with a little malt to back it up but not very balanced, and not very bold.

Taste is of slightly sweet malt up front, and then a mix of bitter hops and hot alcohol in the finish. Not a lot of hop flavor up front really. There is a lingering citrusy flavor long after a sip is done.

A bit thin in the mouth, and highly carbonated.

Not a terribly drinkable beer in my opinion. I will finish this one and move on to something else, or perhaps to bed. The two of these left in the mixed 12-pack I bought will be for others to try and review.

3.87/5  rDev -8.3%

Out of the cask this one pours an amber color with a bit of white head.

The smell is piney and citrusy.

The first blast of flavor comes from the hops which are quite tangy and this is immediately followed by a strong grapefruit flavor. The finish is surprisingly smooth.

The mouthfeel is a bit stagnant, but it is possible that this is because of the cask.

This is a very drinkable brew and I was quite impressed overall.

3.92/5  rDev -7.1%

Dark gold with a thin but sticky layer of lace.

Aroma is juicy floral hops with a hint of ruby red grapefruit. A touch of bicuit-like malt underneath.

Taste follows the nose closely -- this struck me as something like a lighter, more "summery" DFH 90 Minute. Hops take center stage, with floral tones leading the way. Grapefruit behind that, and then malt finally appears, lending some balance. Just enough bitterness to satisfy the hop-head without turning off average drinkers. Very light sweetness in an otherwise crisp finish makes this a good hot-weather IPA.

3.55/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On cask at My Place Restaurant in Newtown, CT.
Slightly hazy amber with a frothy white head.
Smells very piney with a bit of citrus.
Big blast of hop bitter right from the start. Citrus rind , floral, oily , piney punch backed up by a decent amount of slightly sweet malt. Lingering bitter aftertaste. A definite hophead brew.
Cask is the way to go for this one....very nice mouthfeel...micro carbonation with a medium body...flavors all meld well at this temp.
Not sure of the ABV on this, but I got quite a buzz from just one.

3.82/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A- Light copper with healthy white head that slowly disolves.

S- Oh boy. Both pine and citrus smells are strong. A joy to smell.

T- The pine hop taste is big. The citrus gives up alittle, but is still there.

M- Medium heavy that smooths out during the sample.

D- This a very good beer from the IBC. I feel that it gives some of the DIPA taste with the lightness of a straight IPA.

3.41/5  rDev -19.2%

Pours a beautiful amber. Clear enough, but not like glass, you know? A finger of dense white head lastes fairly long and leaves good lacing. Smells fruity and citrusy. And, no, I'm not going to be more specific than that. Tastes... Huh. Tastes so much better when it's fresh! Had some at the brewery and, wow, was that ever awesome. This has been in bottles for a while (who knows how long - there isn't a date! Still, the stuff I had at the brewery was 5 weeks ago. Hmm. Yeah, they had it in bottles then). So, tastes change and I'm getting used to Ithaca hop use (Cascazilla/Red, DIPA, Flower Power). Still... This reminds me, oddly, of drinking Shipyard's Fuggles IPA. Something about the bitterness profile, you know? Anyway, I think I liked it a lot more fresh. Sweeter, less bitter. Not a bad brew for a hot summer day but perhaps a bit sweet for that...

A- Pours out a slightly orange gold. With just half a finger of head and some thick but weakly clinging lacing.

S- Some hoppiness as would be expected of an IPA. Suprisingly weak though. I can't detect any maltiness.

T- Domination of hops- all pine needles and grapefruit. I'm really not detecting any malt backbone. There is some lingering sweetness after the hops flavor so I guess there must be some malt but I can't get any flavor from it. I suspect this would be a great beer for a hop head, but I'm not such a fan.

M- Pretty light, not a large body on this beer. The carbination flattering for this lightness.

D- I need more complexity than this beer can offer me- an alcoholic hop tea.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

This is their new recipie for 2007

Poured a clean bright copper hue with a thin off-white head. Lacing is very minimal, stickiness is just about nothing. Bubbles are rising like crazy to the top throughout tasting. Smell is very enticing. Very earthy hop aroma with an oily malty undertone. A good grapefruit bite as well. Very bitter taste of pine/citrus with a (you guessed it) powerful floral bite. Pretty good malty background for an IPA which makes it quite balanced. Pretty full and creamy mouthfeel with a silky carbonation. I'll be burpin' like Barney after this. Good work overall with this one for Ithaca Beer Co., still love every beer they have to offer.

edit: Make sure you drink this beer fresh because it does lose a lot of great flavors over time. Luckily they use a "Best Before" date on their labels now.

3.55/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Golden color that’s a bit foggy, but complimented with a nice foamy head. I thought it had a nice fruity aroma. Not a big hop taste – pretty full and creamy. A finish that’s more on the bitter side. Very easy to drink. Some people may not like it because it is a little different and not what you would expect from an IPA, but overall I thought it was a nice beer.

3.82/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured into pint glass.

A: Pours a translucent light copper (leaning more toward yellow) with pretty lively carbonation and seems awfully fizzy at first. Like soda. 1/2 finger of head quickly becomes a foam crown and a big ol' island. No sticky trails left behind as the level drops.

S: Malty, big time. Sweet caramel malt, fruity hops (grapefruit, lemon).

T/M: Sweet malt is first, and pretty assertive. The hops kick in after that, and start resiny and dry before becoming fruity. Finish is nicely bitter and fruity with more sweet malt in the tail, which is long. Mouthfeel is a bit tingly, and a bit slick.

D: It's not bad. I've never seen this in anything but a 12-pack, so I'm not sure how easy it is to find. It's always a beer I just sort of wind up with. Not very hoppy as IPAs go, and in a blind taste test, I might even guess that it was an APA. Being only slightly fruity and piney/resiny mean it's mild, and that's OK with me. I don't think I'll ever seek it out, but when I buy the Ithaca 12-pack, I'm glad it's there. A good, easy-drinking ale.

3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

Nice copper, clear color, but is hazy and not see through. Head is negligible. Good carbonation. No lace whatsoever.

Sweet hoppy smell. Has a dry smell. Tiny bit of sweet malt. Citrusy hops, but with a hint of bitterness. Mild yeast.

Very pleasant hop flavor with a bitter aftertaste after the sweet initial taste. Tiny bit of pine flavor. Perfect balance; a little nice but with a naughty/kinky ending.

Medium thickness, slightly more watery than I'd like, but decent. Thickens as it warms up. A pretty smooth IPA. It's bitter toward the end, which may hinder repeat drinkings. But it's a solid IPA.

3.43/5  rDev -18.7%

Brew poured to an orange color, quote clear with a small to medium white head that had good retention and left a fair amount of lacing down the side of the glass. The aroma is ok, nothing to really write home about but solid. I seem to pick up quite a bit of malt, seems to have a caramel scent along with a good hop (grapefruit) aroma. The taste is ok, not awe-inspiring as I do notice a strong hop taste that is more citrus like but does not seem to have enough oomph. Also picking up a good malt flavor, but to me it just seems that this brew is quite bland for what I was expecting from its name. Good brew, don’t mind it in the mixed 12 pack and one I would get again, just not my favorite offering from Ithaca.

3.65/5  rDev -13.5%

Has a slight dark, golden body but looking very clean. Head is pretty small. The taste goes along with the name of the beer, and you can definitely taste 'flowers.' Goes down quite easy, is a respectful effort at an IPA. Enjoyable, yet would put it only at above average.

4.12/5  rDev -2.4%

Flower power throws a cloudy yellowish-orange with a ½ inch well disciplined white head. A massive hoppy aroma, with some grapefruit and earthy notes as well. The body is mildly carbonated and very creamy. A bitter hop blast is quickly introduced, and the lips are left slightly burnt. Biscuits and citrus-like tastings are delicate, yet enjoyable. Hops lovers beware—this one is addicting. A simple, yet good definition of an IPA.

3.65/5  rDev -13.5%

Sampled 07/02/06. Review from notes.

A: Pours a cloudy hazy orange color with a one finger white head. Slight retention with good lace.
S: Huge sharp floral smell up front along with blunt clove notes.. Also kind of sweet and grassy. Not much malt aroma detected.
T/M: Crisp and fresh with bready malts. Piney, citrus, floral hops come throgh also. Sharp bitterness mixes with malts well to create a soft mouthfeel. Slight bitter dry finish with a citrus aftertaste. Light bodied.
D: Good level of carbonation. Besides the weird taste, which must be acquired, it was good. Wouldn't mind trying this on tap if I could.

3.69/5  rDev -12.6%

Stolen out of a friend's mixed 12 ... does pilfered beer taste better? I've always felt it does.

Summer seasonal that is still hanging around in 12 packs, no best-by-date but I love the bottle. The idea of "Flower Power" is perfect for Ithaca with lots of hop flowers all over the hippie lettering.

Very clear light amber, a little orangey, tasteful pure white head that dies fast leaving nothing behind.

Nose is of piney, nose-tingling hops. IBC was probably aiming for "floral" hops (given the name of the brew) and they got em. Methinks Cascade. A little sweetness behind the hops, with some cloveish spices.

Mild taste for an IPA. The hops are pretty friendly and gentle, and there is a solid malt presence along with the same spices from the smell. Hops taste of pine and are herbal. Pretty well balanced, maybe even on the maltier side for an IPA (due to subdued hops, not lots of malt). Bitter hoppy finish.

Pretty light, almost thin-bodied, clean mouthfeel, the resinous hop oil finish adds something.

The brew itself is not mind-blowing, but remember, this is a summer seasonal. Sipping this while swimming and playing in a creek in the sun this summer was excellent. Very tame for an IPA, almost a "Light IPA" without being pejorative. Extremely sessionable.

2.98/5  rDev -29.4%

This brew is amber brown in color with a tall off white head.
The aroma is mild, but is fruity with a bit of pine.
The flavor is much maltier than most American IPA’s. There is a bit of caramel mixed in with the hops. The finish is where the citrus hops show their face.
Mouth feel is on the light side of medium bodied and is easily consumed.

Overall, this is an alright brew, but not the hop bomb that I am looking for.

Flower Power India Pale Ale from Ithaca Beer Company