Flower Power India Pale Ale | Ithaca Beer Company

Ithaca Beer Company
New York, United States
ithacabeer.com

Style: American IPA

Enjoy the clover honey hue and tropical nose. Simultaneously punchy and soothing with a big body and a finish that boasts pineapple and grapefruit. Flower Power is hopped and dry-hopped five different times throughout the brewing and fermentation process.

Added by Todd on 09-17-2002

Reviews: 1,274 | Ratings: 5,199
4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Pours a reddish tan. small-moderate lacey head on top

S: citrus and pine hops, trace of lemon

T: smooth at first then a bracing bitter as it goes down. Only slightly sweet, definitely less sugar that many (almost) syrupy IPA's especially the doubles. Tastes blend crisply with slight hoppy aftertaste

M: Chewy, but thinner that many IPA's.

D: Potent but at the same time drinks fairly light for the kick it packs. I like this beer -a lighter drinking alternative to a double but still with a taste strong enough to bitch-slap you if you even look at a Bud Light...

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

12 oz. bottle.

Mildly hazy brassy apricot body. Two fingers of thick, dense, beige-white head. Good retention and nice lacing. Sugary caramel and cookie malt aromas underneath apricot, orange rind, pineapple, and light pine sap. Nice. Toasted malts up front. Herbal hop bitterness follows. Some tropical fruit mixes with sugar cookie batter mid-palate. Any sweetness is balanced by a dry, grapefruit-citrus, herbal-pine hop bitterness. Nice long appetizingly dry finish. Creamy feel in a medium body. Very nice!

Snagged a couple singles of this during my last visit to From the Vine. I've been excited to try it as I heard it was flying off the shelves.

Appearance- Pours a burnished gold out of the bottle with a fair amount of beading carbonation in the body of the beer and about a finger and a half of puffy white head sitting on top. Decent retention, with it dying back to some patchy sheeting after a bit. A small amount of lacing left as well.

Smell- A good deal of piney, resiny hops, with some grapefruit rind thrown in for good measure. Definitely leaned towards the side of pine for me though. Pretty big on the hops all around though and a solid nose.

Taste- Big piney hops with some undertones of citrus, grapefruit primarily. Definitely a solid hop punch with a bitter finish. However, as the beer warmed, some sweeter caramel flavors showed through as well. Dominated by the hops though for sure.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel was substantial and slick with good carbonation. The beer went down easy as well and was quite drinkable despite a somewhat higher ABV.

Overall, a very solid IPA. It didn't hit it out of the ballpark for me, but I enjoyed it and wouldn't be opposed to having it again.

3.86/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle from aglose45.

A: Muted orange/copper color with a dense cream colored head about half an inch thick or so that won't go away. Slightly cloudy but not opaque. A few bubbles moving around in the glass. Nice lacing.

S: Hop resins, some pine, a few more citrus like notes, honey like sweetness and a few yeasty esters that are subdued but noticeable. A little bit of booze.

T: A little underwhelming on the taste, floral hops, sweet caramel and honey and a nice lingering bitterness. The flavor of this one just seems to fall flat from what the nose leads on. Grassy hop profile some grapefruit rind and a little bit of pine pitch. The hop flavors are there, but seem a bit subdued. Caramel is nice and the base malt leads a nice flavor. Pretty tasty really, but I expected a little more pop from the hops from the nose. Still quite tasty.

M: A little on the fuller side of the scale, which is nice for an IPA, quite dry, and slightly warm. Excellent amount of carbonation. Not at all bad here. Spot on.

D: I enjoy it, and would probably drink it fairly often but it doesn't quite stack up to my other favorite IPAs. Definitely a fine example though. Recommended.

Thanks Adam!

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Bronze with a frothy white head. Ripe citrus hop aroma, with a hint of biscuit-like grain. Hops dominate the flavor, with pine and citrus. Malt stays out of the way and lends a bit of body, and some sweetness as it warms. Fairly clean mouthfeel, with a nice dry finish. This is reminiscent of many west coast IPAs. Not an "outside the box" beer (usually a good thing in my opinion), but executed very, very well. One of my favorite IPAs from the East.

Thanks to exiled for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a clear light orangish-brown with a white head. The aroma is a mixture of resiny hops with some orange and grassy hop character as well. The flavor is resiny hops with a little bit of orange citrus. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A nice IPA but nothing too special.

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured from a Snifter

I had heard a ton of good things about this beer, and I love a good IPA so it was a no brainer buy when I saw a six pack of this sitting in Mullberry Market.

A: Pours a murky copper. Half inch of head on top, sticks just a little to the side of the glass as it recedes.
S: Nose of sweet pine hops with some hints of lemon
T: Sweet floral flavors up front, pine notes on the backend. This beer has a slightly bitter aspect followed up with a nice sweetness creating a crisp ending. All the flavors blend together nicely.
M: Chewy hops, lightly carbonated, crisp.
D: Not too low of an ABV (7.5%) although low for an IPA fan. The sweet floral hops flavor makes this very drinkable even for a casual IPA fan.

4.44/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

O muse! sing in me, and through me tell a story...

powered by flower and recharged by a good nap, i look out the window at the ohio sunrise and hope my garden had the power to withstand this unseasonal may frost. we will just have to see if the basil turns black.

A- pours a clear burnt amber with a rocky ivory head. some wrinkles goin on, my green flag for hop content, and awesome retention and lace.

S- yeah you know what daddy likes. insanely awesome mix of the 3 c's plus an ace and a simcoe with some honey like malt sweetness in the background. can it get any better? up front pine and grapefruit classic amarillo, and everything citron, orange, pineapple, and grapefruit from CCCS. passionfruit, mango, and every orange hybrid make their may into my nostrils. toasty bread back there too.

T- honeyed malt sweetness hits first, followed by the hops which completely reflect the aroma in all their tropical fruity goodness. a bit of pine resin as well. this one earns the coveted marshmallow status thanks (i believe) to the honey malt. a brilliant and rarely seen choice. pound cake with orange blossom honey is the best way i can describe the malt side of the formula and see the above (S) for hop flavor content, rationalized as: s(3c x 2a)+(hm/2r)=awesome. finishes a perfect balance of sweet and bitter with that lingering fruitiness and subtle cupcake flavor.

MF- hearty and substantial while being medium bodied enough to allow a good chug should the need arise. carbonation is soft and tender and loving and is a perfect fit as anything more than a minor sting on the palate would be unwelcome here with all this 3-dimensional sweet/bitter/fruity flavor goin on. and nicely enough, it lends a plush juicy tropical feel to compliment the outstanding hop flavor.

D- quite pleased with this offering from ithaca and more or less suprised not previously knowing good for their skill in hoppy beers (cascazilla did not fare well with me) but this powerful flower hit the bullseye from 30 yds with a recurve bow. this seasonal should be a full time flagship offering, the best i've had from ithaca thus far. i remember a few days ago when me and kaiser777 cracked our first samples of flower (thanks dave from heidelberg) and talked about pineapples and shit while other people at our own damn bar looked at us like idiots.

...is it not enough that you dine in peace, among us who are violent men and are deprived of no fair portion, but listen to our conversation and what we say? there is no other vagabond and newcomer who is allowed to hear us talk. the honeyed wine has hurt you, as it has distraced others as well, who gulp it down without drinking in season.

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

Hands down one of the best American IPA's I have ever tasted, I could drink this beer with any meal it sets good on the taste palate, the fruitiness is remarkable and reminds me of a nice summer day out at the lake fishing with friends, I recommend this beer to any beer lover, and believe me it won't disappoint cheers to all my fellow IPA lovers....

A- Very retro, very entertaining it has a look of "I can't wait to taste that", and when you pour in into a glass the carmel color is so inviting and so smooth with a rich foam!

S- Smell's of a fresh batch of your favorite citrus fruit's, and believe me it won't disappoint!

T- The taste is amazing, it set's on your taste buds and reminds you why an IPA is an IPA, not to bitter just the right amount of flavor that will send you in to a whirl wind of pleasure, I could even go and say it is in my top 5 IPA's I have ever tasted.

MF- One word "WOW", it coats the mouth and rushes in the flavor's of citrus that is simply amazing, hook, line, sinker this one is a winner in my book, and I was critical about giving it a 5 cause I am new to the site, but when you taste it you will agree, hands down the bomb as they would say from around the way!

D- Satisfying and never will make you say I think I want something else, once you drink this beer it will be the only beer you will want to drink for the rest of the evening, no matter the surrounding's, bar, campfire, beach, ect. I mean anywhere and on the last note, thank you Ithaca for one of the best IPA's I have ever tasted!

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Poured slightly hazy, golden yellow with a clean white head. No particulates. Good lacing. Nice carbonation.

S - Nice spicy floral aromas.

T - Smooth bitter flavor with some floral notes.

M - Light creamy finish. Floral earthy flavors stick around. Decent balance between hop bitterness and malt creaminess.

D - Nice drinkable beer. Smooth enough to have a few without sacrificing the IPA character.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

12 oz tulip @ Jose Pistolas
Poured a hazy orange with a small one-finger head. Nose was a strong orange/mango and hops but with a piney backbone. Taste was initally sweet - orange, grapefruit and mango with some pine and malt. Finish was with some mild and pleasant bitterness. Mouthfeel was medium and a little sticky. Carbonation was good. I had tried this from a bottle before and this is SO much better. I am anxious to try a bottle again to see if it comes close to this, which is a VERY good right-coast style IPA.
Just had a standard pint glass from cask @ Teresa's and it was wonderful! Like the description above except obviously creamy and smoother. Need to upgrade my review 'cause this was just great.

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%

Had this before but it's been a while and my palate has changed some so i wasn't sure if my mind changed at all. The first time I had this I loved it. Since then i've tasted some PTE and Hopslam and two hearted among some other really good IPA's so i wasn't sure if this would still hold up. I can say with certainty that it did indeed hold up! big up and thanx to smutty33 for getting me on to this... was great on tap and in bottle

A - pours a nice hazy orange with good head of about an 1 1/2 inch of foam and great sticky lacing. it was fun to pour this into a tulip glass.

S - Smell the floral fruitiness!! Very impressive for a regular IPA and not a Double. This is one characteristic I am very fond of with this beer. Smells more like a midwest or west coast ipa. This might be my favorite trait of this beer.

T - Very fruity! A hop blast of course there is grapefruit. There is a lot of grapefruit.. but it tastes like sweet part of the grapefruit and not the rind! too many ipa's have the grapefruit taste, but they taste like the bad part of the grapefruit, whereas this is the good part. Very interesting i'm tasting maybe orange and mango in this too. just complex with some of my favorite fruit flavors in this!!

M - It is thick maybe a little sticky and I love that. I aftertaste leaves a nice twinge sweet taste in my mouth.. i almost want to pucker like after eating real bitter candy like a sour patch kid..

D - I could definitely drink these and enjoy these no problem. I should give them a really high rating here because I could easily put away a six pack of this. I love the taste. I think it is very underrated but that's okay.. i wish i could get this easier as it's not around here enough...

***edit on 5/17/2010

I just have to say again that i truly enjoy this beer... i am a hop head and this one comes in as one of my favorites. i'm drinking it now and am really impressed with the smell. i was around a non beer drinker friend yesterday who said he hates all beer. i told him to take a sip of this.. he did and his eyes lit up immediately and he yelled out "that's good!!!!".. gives to a bmc drinker and it will knock their socks off. i think it is a very friendly ipa as opposed to some of the others out there that you kinda have to work your palate up to.. this is not like that. i think this is super friendly.. too bad this is semi seasonal as it would may otherwise be a go to ipa over here!!

Pours a hazy a copper orange color. Nice foamy, medium dense head. Lots of thick sticky lacings. Big hoppy, Floral aroma with hints of pine. Medium body with ample carbonation that makes it very refreshing. Big hop flavor, with grapefruit, and dark fruit flavors. Lots of hoppy aftertaste. A very nice ale.

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Received as an extra in a DLD trade. Thanks Woosterbill!
First experience with anything from Ithaca Beer Company and it was good!
A-Pours a very nice looking bright orange, slightly cloudy with a thin white/creme head.
S-Not a whole lot of smell....a bit of honey, some grassy lemony hoppiness.
T-Nice mild hints of apricot compliment the grassy, citrusy hoppiness. Bits of lemon, sugar, and earthiness make their presence. Finish is a vague bit of bitter grapefruit pith. Nice!
M-Pleasant, smooth and creamy mouthfeel with a perfect amount of carbonation. Not too thick or thin....excellent.
D-Very tasty beer with average ABV for the style. I'd drink this more of this if I could get it locally.
My first experience with Ithaca Beer turned out to be a good one. This was a well done and nice tasting beer. What a nice bonus extra in a trade.

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

A: Huge fluffy head that rises up to 3 fingers and fades semi quickly. Very tan clear colored beer with no carbonation rising from the etch at the bottom. The head leaves nice rings of lacing.

N: NIce hops, some fresh musty wet hops, earthy hops, spicy and floral, touch of pine and citrus. Very slight malty aroma too.

T: Chewy hops to start, with a nice bitterness and musty earthy fresh wet hop taste, but not as much as the nose. A bitterness hits hard at first but seems to fade or my mouth gets used to it. Slight pine, spicy hops, and chewy hops. WIth that is a touch of malts and sweetness with a touch of caramel even. Slight oily hop taste too. A nice juicy hop flavor adds to it as well as a slight chewy malt flavor which together make a really nice addition to a West Coast style IPA.

M: Medium to lighter body with lower carbonation.

F: Pretty dry and bitter, and leaves an anesthetized feel with all the spicy hop characteristics. Long bitterness, some orange peel now, musty fresh wet hop taste lingers, little spicy bitterness. It leaves some astringent flavors too that start to bombard the mouth. Lots of nice hops overall in the beer, nice a fresh tasting and hoppy. West Coast style.

4.49/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a cloudy pale amber color with a decent amount of white head that quickly receeds, remaining only along the edges of the glass.

The scent is very floral and citrusy, a nice ripe grapefruit and green house scent.

The taste is wonderful, the citrus flavors really come out and dominate. A nice clean finish with a lingering taste of sweetness in the mouth.

Excellent IPA, easily one of my top 5's.

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured from a bottle into a perfect pint glass. The beer pours a light orange with a rusty center. There is a thin white head that quickly fades to a tight cap, leaving slight oily lacing on the glass.

The smell is a nice mix of floral and pine hops, with slight hints of citrus and caramel underneath. The floral and pine hops are very inviting, and highlighted nicely.

The taste mirrors the smell exactly. The sweet floral hops introduce the flavors, followed by some fresh cut grassy notes that are a nice segway to the strong bitter pine qualities. The pine is not overly bitter, the sweet citrus and caramel notes balance the flavors nicely. This one is a bit tame, but good.

The beer is light bodied, well carbonated and the flavors are sharp and well balanced. The alcohol is well hidden, and right where I like it for an IPA, right in the 6.5-8% abv is perfect I think. This is good, and if it were easier for me to get I would drink it pretty often.

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Another from my recent trade with orcasteve. Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a semi-hazy orangeish amber with about 3/4 of an inch of just off-white head that had OK retention and lacing.

A very pleasant and pleasing pine and floral hop aroma happily drifts into the nose. I really like the aroma of this beer a lot. The flavor is right there with the scent, lots of pine and flower and a slight malt backbone.

The body is right where it should be full and tongue coating, but not heavy or sticky. Drinkability could not be better.

This is from one of the breweries I miss from my home area and this brew is as good as I remember. A job well done!

4.68/5  rDev +12.2%

Thanks to soulforpeanuts for giving me the opportunity to try this beer!

A: A finger of ivory head over a relatively clear amber. Lots of bubbles are active despite zero etchings on the glass. Great retention and lacing.
S: Very juicy - citrus, florals, and soft pine notes. Dry-hopped with Simcoes? Check.
T/M/D: A very interesting secondary flavor that I want to make note of first. I want to say it's from the toasted malt but it goes beyond that. It's almost smokey but it fits nicely with the prominent hop flavors of bitter grapefruit, sweet fruit, and then back to bitter all in one sip. It's really floral, but so smooth on the palate. Nicely balanced with a crisp, drying mouthfeel. The lighter body assists with a superb smoothness ... all contributing to stellar drinkability. I can go on and on with this beer, as every sip seems to offer a unique experience. It's very complex and really enjoyable for anyone trying to take notes or keep track of the experienced flavors.

Note: I also used a 12oz of this in a beer bread. It resulted in a super bitter but delicious loaf!

4.72/5  rDev +13.2%

Growler into a sensory pint glass.

A: A perfectly clear sunset orange colored body. The head is medium size, stark white, and is made up of small and compact bubbles. Average head retention but a creamy film remains till the last sip. Spotty lace is left around the glass.

S & T: The nose is dominated by SUPER ripe and juicy pink grapefruit. Tropical, hop forward and with no reservations. Simply put, the hop bill is stellar: Columbus, Cascade and Ahtanum with dry hop additions of Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial. If that isn't an all-star line-up, I don't know what is. It seems that the three C's do much of the grunt work contributing their citrus and floral qualities. Caramel is at the top of the malt bill and is backed up by a bit of toasted bread and toffee. The warmer this beer becomes, the bigger the role the malts play. Even so, the hops remain comfortably in charge. Additional flavors of pineapple and honey, very subtle.

M: Fine fizzy carbonation with a crispy clean bitter finish (75 IBUs), semi dry. The medium light body is smooth and creamy and wildly refreshing. ABV-wise, there is no indication that this brew is a few points away from DIPA-land. Incredible.

D: High. Extremely high. Ithaca created a west coast style IPA with this one, and probably does it better than most west coast brewers do. The Flower Power is my favorite, if not the best IPA I've had to date. How is this beer only rated a B+?

Thanks goes out to ybnorml for this brew.

Best By: Jun/Jul

Pours a nice slightly hazy copper color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger off-white head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is hoppy, with some malt notes, nice touch of citrus and pine notes. The taste is hoppy, with a nice touch of sweetness, slightly malty, with some citrus/pine notes. Medium body. Drinkable, this is a very nice IPA.

3.6/5  rDev -13.7%

Appearance: 1/4 inch head, hazy, orange-brown in color, minimal carbonation

Smell: floral and pine hops

Taste: floral and pine hops, some bready malt

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, medium carbonation bitter and smooth

Drinkability: A very bitter and floral IPA. The bitterness prevents me from wanting more than one per sitting, but I would pick this up again as a single for a change of pace beer.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured an reddish golden color with a puffy white head and plenty of lacing down the glass.

The aroma was citrus hops with a bit of orange peel, lemon, and caramel.

The taste followed the nose --- citrusy, orange and lemon peel, and a bit of honey. It had just the right amount of malt to hold up the hop bitterness without dragging it down. It finished dry with some alcohol in the aftertaste.

Medium-bodied carbonation to hold up the hops and caramel malt. Given the aroma and taste, it had very little resiny stickiness to it, which is ok.

If this were regularly available to me, I would have these often.

4.13/5  rDev -1%

Finally having a Flower Power. I added this beer to my Wants list after reading Lum mention it repeatedly in LNBA and other threads, and dmeadows hooked me up with a couple of bottles for my birthday. Thanks, Denis!

Poured into a pint glass. Nice orange-gold color with about two fingers of plush white foam. Head retention is excellent, and there are gobs of lacing stuck to the glass.

Fresh citric hop nose that almost smells tropical. Grapefruit, orange, and pineapple, and there even seems to be some honey and lemon in there, too. Smells like some definite C-hops, as well as maybe Amarillo or Simcoe.

Flower Power's got a very nice hop flavor. The flavor goes from sweet and citric, to earthy, herbal, piney bitterness. No hint of the 7.5% ABV, which is always a plus.

Medium bodied, appropriately carbonated, Flower Power is a very easy drinker. All in all, a pretty great brew. Maybe a tad below Two Hearted and Sweetwater IPA, but that's nothing to be ashamed of.

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

A pint on tap at capones.

A- comes to me with a finger of fluffy off white head that slowly settles to some threads and spots of lace. Golden yellow orange in color.

S- big dank herbatious hops. Lots of citrus and ganj. Sweet caramel malts.

T- beautifully hopped with lots of grapefruit and minniola orange zest. Reminds me at time of great buds. Malts play second fiddle and provide a nice balance. Sweet and crisp with caramel and a bit of bread.

M- mediumish body and ample carb that adds tons to the refreshing quality of this brew. Semi dry finish with a mild linger.

D- great pale ale here. One of my favs on draft for sure. Easy to drink and would drink all day.

Flower Power India Pale Ale from Ithaca Beer Company