Flower Power India Pale Ale | Ithaca Beer Company

Flower Power India Pale AleFlower Power India Pale Ale

Ithaca Beer Company
New York, United States

Style: American IPA

Enjoy the clover honey hue and tropical nose. Simultaneously punchy and soothing with a big body and a finish that boasts pineapple and grapefruit. Flower Power is hopped and dry-hopped five different times throughout the brewing and fermentation process.

Added by Todd on 09-17-2002

Reviews: 1,272 | Ratings: 5,193
4.92/5  rDev +18%

A - A nice, clear light orange/gold color with a creamy white head that lingers.

S - Tropical fruits dominate the aroma followed by a subtle dank character. One of the most appealing aromas on an IPA.

T - Sweet, citrusy, juicy! You can taste everything that is in the aroma. You can definitely taste the Citra and Simcoe hops.

M - Smooth, medium body.

O - A superb, drinkable IPA!

4.26/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a clear amber, one finger head, minimal cap, and decent lacing.
Terrific smell! Nice and spicy floral hops right out of the bottle.
Very nice hops punch with a delicate underlying sweet malt but very well hidden in the hops.
A bit over-carbonated for me but it keeps this beer feeling lighter than it really is. Well balanced and quite drinkable...mmm

4.39/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into tulip.

Pours a hazy orange with a white head, good retention, thorough lacing.

Nose is definitely floral, plenty of grapefuit, sweet malt, a little pine.

Nice and bitter throughout, grapefruit again-strong, piney, light malty finish.

Mouthfeel is medium, healthy carbonation.

Overall this does not disappoint. Hoppiness is showcased; flower power is an appropriate name. I like IPAs and love this one, will definitely buy again and recommend for someone looking for a good one; hops and hops and bitter and great.

4.05/5  rDev -2.9%

Bottle to Glass

Appearance - Poured a surprisingly clear copper/orange colour with a off white head

Smell - Grapefruit, oranges, floral is there as well. Balanced well

Taste - Pine, grapefruit, orange, floral hops as well. Nice amount of bitterness

Overall - A well made IPA that I'll get every once and a while

3.87/5  rDev -7.2%

Ithaca Flower Power poured into my pint glass a pale caramel with about a half finger of off-white head and good visible carbonation.

The beer is very strong in the nose, as it sits away from me by about a foot I can smell it strongly, but not overwhelmingly so. Closer to the nose it gives up really elegant floral notes that are very pronounced. A little sugary sweetness also comes through on the nose.

It tastes like I believe an IPA should, well balanced and not too too bitter. It may be leaning on the side of a Pale Ale as some might argue it's a little anemic to be considered an IPA, perhaps an APA.

The finish is a hoppy bitterness that lingers for some time. Mouthfeel is thin and watery but not watered down by any means. As mentioned by other reviewers, this beer is smooth which lends to its drinkability.

I could probably drink a six of these in a sitting over the course of a hot summer day and have no issues.

4.17/5  rDev 0%

Poured hazy, slightly dark golden into a pint glass:

A; Hazy golden color. Tons of foam and solid lacing.

S: Clean, crisp floral hops. Hint of citrus

T: Tons of hops, refreshing, clean. Dry finish, but pretty well balanced. The hoppy after taste stays with you, particulary in the back of the mouth

M: Medium body. Rich but crisp. Very enjoyable

D: Very drinkable, light in a way. Tons of hops, more like an Imperial. Overall, a very, very good brew! Enjoyed this one!!

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Served in a glass chalice.

Bright orange amber color, and hazy with a large, white head, two fingers worth. Nose is super tropical with big citrus aromas – grapefruit, orange and lemon, but mostly grapefruit. There’s a little bit of grassy hops as well. The taste is magical. Bright tropical fruits are cut with just the right amount of bitterness for a dry and fresh aftertaste. Lots of grapefruit and a mix of sweeter fruits that I can’t really identify. The mouthfeel is amazing…it’s one of the smoothest IPAs I’ve had, even as it’s packing a big punch at 7.5%. There’s a good amount of lacing left on the glass as I finish and the head is retained pretty well. This is my new favorite IPA that’s readily available.

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from the bottle into my Bell's tulip.

A: Pours a light orange with little head but absolutely fantastic lacing.

S: I love the nose on this beer. I get a good amount of citrus right up front.

T: This is my favorite part of the beer hands down. Lots of citrus up front and smoothed out by the piney notes on the backend. I'm really enjoying this one.

M: A little weak but still really nice. Great abv that really puts it in a unique spot between IPA and DIPA.

Overall: I'm really glad I got a chance to try this beer. It's a really nice IPA and a great first offering from this brewery.

3.09/5  rDev -25.9%

I got this IPA in a mixed 12 pack from my sister who was visiting Buffalo. I've never heard of the brewery.

Good frothy head with solid retention and lace. This bottle was very fizzy at first pour, and continued to be fizzy until the last drop. It's a beautiful deep amber color.

When first poured, I got hit with some strong hop aroma, but after letting the glass breathe for a few minutes, the hop aroma was all but gone, leaving only a hint of malt.

Taste was good. Had nice balance, though the hops didn't seem quite right. Not sharp enough; a little more malt and this would be an ESB.

Mouthfeel was all there, perhaps almost to a fault. Quite syrupy for a regular IPA.

Drinkability was fine. By the end here, I'm ready to try a few others from the 12 pack before coming back to the other remaining Flower Power in there.

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

Golden orange hue with little head but with some lacing for a pleasing effect. Very hoppy, floral, citrusy (grapefruit, tangerine) nose (there’s almost an ice-cream or sorbet smell if you really stick your nose into it). Really smells delicious but in the craft scene this type of presentation has become commonplace. Quite a sweet taste, with malty, fruity things happening, but bringing lots of hop flavor to bear. I would say this one is more about the hop character than bitterness, although the latter is still well represented. Some alcoholic tastes but it’s not really slamming me abv-wise so I’d say it’s fairly drinkable as far as IPA’s go. Dryness in the midrange for the style. Some buttery notes in the sweetness and in the mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation. Whether or not you are into the labeling is one thing, but the beer is quite tasty. If I were eating a meal with this I’d want another one right away.

3.87/5  rDev -7.2%

Let's see, heavy floral/malt balance in this beer, but I like it. Orange citrus notes, but is not under pronounced, with a faint hint of smoke. The malt is subtle and not too sweet.

A nice mid level American IPA. I tried it twice amongst the incredible offerings at my beer bar in NYC. Doesn't quite stand up to an imperial or DFH or Loose Cannon, but it was quite nice. Definitely not turning my nose at it. Great stuff on tap.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

12 oz bottle poured into my Spinnerstown Hotel flute glass.

A - Pours a hazy copper with a 1.5 finger white head. A few swirls of the glass leaves limited lacing and the head recedes to a collar.

S - Primarily herbal/spicy hops and orange, a slight hint of the underlying bitterness as well with some ruby grapefruit. Disturbing the glass slightly gives off some solventy alcohol.

T - Hops, hops, and more hops! The standard grapefruit and pine but with large doses of orange. Maybe some apricot and lemon as well. Bittering hops up front but transitions into caramel malt backbone with minimal dark fruits complementing. Finishes with a large amount of bittering hops.

M - Light bodied with creamy carbonation. Alcohol is well hidden behind all those bittering hops.

D - Very tasty and surprisingly balanced given the bitterness. Provided it will be common in our market, this will be my everyday IPA.

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured a nice copper color into a pint class from a bottle. Had a 2 finger head, which held some lacing at the top. Smelled almost like a west coast IPA, very impressive. Tasted great. Excellent hoppy taste with almost a subtle malty backbone, somewhat surprising. I was very pleased with this beer, as I have been disappointed with some other Ithica brews in the past. I highly recommend this.

3.87/5  rDev -7.2%

Had this IPA at Fat Head Brewery yesterday in North Olmsted Ohio. Poured into a pint glass this had a nice dark gold appearance with about 1/2 inch of head. Smell was inviting with the floral smell I was craving. Taste was spot on what I expected as it was similar to the smell. Drinks smooth with an even finish. I could drink a few of these. I would have to recommend this beer especially if your looking for that floral taste and aroma.

3.42/5  rDev -18%

On tap, pours a light Amber/copper color with little head, approximately 1-2cm. Predominantly piney with Orange notes, very light and crisp. Extremely light. More reminiscent of a lager rather an IPA. Leaves something to wish and hope for, maybe if they kicked up the bitters and hops if revisit but for me, this is a once and only time I'll be trying.

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured into a bottle

A- Beautiful white pillowy head about 2 inches, slightly cloudy bright golden hue
S- Sweet malts, citrusy and fruit hops, peaches, apricots, blueberries
T- Tastes like it smells. Nice balance of sweet and bitter
M- light to medium bodied, lingering bitter finish
O- A great IPA, has everything I like about the style- crisp, refreshing, a beautiful aroma that unfolds as it warms in the glass, and a nice bitter finish that washes down my pastrami sandwich perfectly.

4.46/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I've been a fan of this one for a while, but have recently found myself in amsterdam NY for work where I've been able to get my hands on just-brewed Flower Power which has put this one in my upper echelons of IPA's. To me, it's a good thing when time and temperature have adverse affects on an IPA. The variety of flavors, and collective "lightness" of the results makes the freshness all the more important. There's no monster hop or malt to hide any imperfections.

Color is a little light, and masks the burst of flavor that you are in for. The nose is a little more of an indication...the flowers, citrusey hops, are practically tasted right then. Carbonation is a little high, i definitely recommend that you pour this one in a glass and give it a few minutes to "air out" a bit, but sometimes my thirst gets the best of me.

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

A very clean tasting, drinkable IPA, with a lovely, flowery hop forward flavor.

Although, at 8% abv, this for me, is getting a bit strong for an IPA and is definitely encroaching on DIPA territory. I was looking for something more like a session beer when I bought this one, but was caught out by the IPA classification and the lack of an abv figure on the label.

Not disclosing the abv information is one of my pet peeves, and I don't really understand what the problem is with certain breweries not putting it on the label. It's a major consideration for me when I'm buying beer - I want to know what I'm getting into, and I don't always want the same effect from my beer. Sometimes I just want to knock back a few beers and other times I might want to get shitfaced and write surreal poetry.

As good as this beer is, I probably won't buy it again, because if I want a good IPA, I'd probably go for something a bit weaker, like Stone IPA or Sierra Nevada Celebration (if it's out) or if I want something along these lines I might as well go the whole hog and treat myself to Stone Ruination.

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

had this one on tap at Delancy's in CT. poured a reddish amber copper, very clear, and head dissipated quickly. smells of floral lilac and pine. full-bodied malty, caramel and toasty on the malt side and floral, piney and grapefruit on the malt side. pretty rich. i would almost call this a hoppy (imperial) amber ale. i love the name and the logo. more flower to ya!

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

Reviewed from notes of 2/18/11
Receive this bottle from my friend Toby
in a 6 pack beer swap.

A = Amber to a warm orange color. Good opacity. Good 3 finger head with moderate lacing.

S = Hops! Notes of green apple, ripe fruit, clover, and mature green grass.

T = Solid hop flavor, moderate apricot, honey and clover.

M = Good carbonation. Bright and active on the pallette. Immediate hop and fruit notes. Finish is suprisingly smooth for an IPA. Similiar to cream or butter. Very well balanced.

D = A pleasant surprise in the crowded world of IPA's. A very easy drinker with just the right amount of complexity to make it intereting. Friendly enough to pull in the novice IPA drinker to experience something new.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from a bottle into a nonic. Orange yellow appearance with a 2 finger off-white, fluffy head. Lacing is sticky and thick, staying on the glass the whole way down as you drink.

Big west coast IPA smell here, with lots of citrus notes. Tangerine, grapefruit, orange. Some honey, maybe?

The big win for this beer is the taste. Lots of juicy citrus hits you right up front, grapefruit, tangerine, maybe a little pine, the malt comes in the middle, and then you get hit with just enough bitterness on the finish to make you want more. My absolute favorite IPA from the East so far. If you are a fan of West Coast IPAs, I suggest you give this a try. An amazing beer.

4.34/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

I'm not about to kick this beer out of bed, but after the gorgeous hoppy, citrus-infused, tangy scent I was a bit let down at tasting it. It has some excellent hops bitterness that I look for in IPAs, but I expected something awe-inspiring after the hype I heard and the goodness I smelled. Alas. I still have a tasty, pretty (almost an umber color, great fluffy head that settles into fine lacing), easy to quaff IPA. Maybe it's just this batch? I'd kill to find this on tap somewhere to see if that changes the character enough. For all my criticisms, I'd still be happy to have this again and again... especially if the elusive flavors promised by the scent come through in the taste.

2.37/5  rDev -43.2%

I had heard excellent things about this beer and was excited to try it out. Poured into a pint glass, had an nice golden orange color to it, with a nice white head on it.

The smell is the best thing this beer has going for it. Very strong smell. Full of citrus, very piney, and a really florally hops scent.

Taste was very deceiving. I expected a very strong flavor based on the strong smell. This was not the case. All of the tastes that were present in the smell were there, but very faint, and hard to distinguish. I have never tasted a beer before that left such a discrepancy between smell and taste.

Mouthfeel was the worst part. It was so watery, had no body, and the flavor was gone as soon as it was swallowed.

Overall- I did not enjoy this beer at all. I actually poured half of it. It's not that it was terrible, it was just not worth the alcohol or calories when I had a lot of better beers to get to this night.

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

A: Copper, clear and a thick tan frothy head. The head wilts to nothing and leaves some splotches of lace behind.

S: Flower power indeed, smells somewhere between a bouquet from the local florist and a bouquet from Edible Arrangements.

T: This is a nicely balanced beer. Has a different sort of bitterness which must be attributed to the hops that they used. Pine, caramel, bread, apricot are all noticeable. It does have a slight aluminum taste to it at the finish I think, but by no means distracting.

M: Medium and fairly thick

D: Could easily be a session beer. I expected a bit more bite, but it was a pleasant change of pace. Glad I have a few more

4.92/5  rDev +18%

First let me say I am a huge fan of Flower Power and have had it in bottles, growler, and on-tap.

This review is based on unfiltered on-tap at the brewery less than 30 minutes after they kegged it.

Poured a cloudy golden-yellowish, with a beautiful white head.
That smell!! Instantly recognize the grapefruit, pineapple, hop aroma.
This tastes incredible! I could drink this morning, noon, and night, for the next 40 years.

Flower Power India Pale Ale from Ithaca Beer Company