Flower Power India Pale Ale | Ithaca Beer Company

Ithaca Beer Company
New York, United States
ithacabeer.com

Style: American IPA

Enjoy the clover honey hue and tropical nose. Simultaneously punchy and soothing with a big body and a finish that boasts pineapple and grapefruit. Flower Power is hopped and dry-hopped five different times throughout the brewing and fermentation process.

Added by Todd on 09-17-2002

#987

Ratings: 5,360 |  Reviews: 1,307
4.27/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a slightly cloudy orange with a full finger of lacy foam. Honeyed and bready, with jammy fruit and bright pineapple notes on the palate. Really clean, with the honey leading to a short, dry finish.

4.37/5  rDev +3.6%

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

3.86/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Golden colored with an airy white head that lasts before leaving heavy lacing. Served too cold to get a good sniff. Heavy tropical flavors, including guava and coconut, with a strong bitterness on the backend. Medium bodied with appropriately strong carbonation. Pretty good.

3.8/5  rDev -10%

Served in a pint glass. Thanks Duff27!

A- dark caramel with huge, dense off-white head. Lacing remains on the glass.

S- caramel malts, citrus and pine hop aromas

T- fairly malty, bitter citrus flavors. Pine and grassy hop bite at the finish.

M- medium body, slightly dry with creamy, oily feel.

O- very good ipa. Very well balanced with nice citrus aromas and flavors.

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a Bell's tulip. The beer is a nice bright orange color, quite hazy, and sports two fingers of fluffy white head that lasts quite a while. The nose is very fruity with citrus notes of fresh lemon, grapefruit, and sweet pineapple.

Medium-light body with a reasonably firm feel and a very pleasant, bitter flavor. The beer is slightly wheaty up front with a soda cracker-like graininess. The hops all complement this feel and flavor very well, bringing lemon, grapefruit, orange, and white pepper. The finish is dry and bitter with lingering citrus fruit flavors.

So happy this stuff finally came across my path. I was at one of my beer haunts in Ohio, and there it was. I can see why this is a classic American IPA. Lots of sharp, fresh, citrusy American hop flavor, but maintains its drinkability. I would definitely buy this again.

3.69/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Reviewed on 4-18-11
Reviewed cold from a bottle to a glass

A – Poured a nice two fingers of foam, cloudy copper color, lots of carbonation present

S – Hops with hints of malt. Citrus orange aroma but mainly lots of hops

T/M – Medium bodied, from the nose I would have guessed hop bomb but more like a brew that was half malt and half hop. Malt is a pretty big player with this brew. Smooth brew with a good amount of hop bitterness at the back end

D – Very drinkable brew, great blend of malt and hops. Very easy for me to drink more than one of these. I would for sure seek this brew out again. Big thanks to lovindahops for this one. I recommend this brew!!!

4.34/5  rDev +2.8%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- slightly hazy golden orange , frothy white head with high retention. Nice lacing

S- wow. Pine, citrus, yeast delicious hops. This smells absolutely amazing. First 5 ive ever given for smell.

T- damnit. One sip in and I spill it all over the table. I liked what I tasted. Follows the nose, not too bitter aftertaste. I'll revise this when I try it again.

TASTE REVISION- Very floral, somewhat piney, ends with a caramel/slightly wheaty finish.

M- medium body and carbonation

Delicious and balanced, and highly aromatic. Super crisp and refreshing. Worth a try.

4.02/5  rDev -4.7%

A nice little extra in my box from Shuggy. Many Cheers for this!
*Bottle states best by Dec. 2010?

A: Pours a lightly hazy golden pale color with a huge 3 finger fluffy white pillow of foam. Amazing lace, how sweet the sound!

S: Smell is well rather floral actually. Picking up some sweet malts in the background. A bit on the tame side for an IPA in my opinion.

T: Wowzers this is super tasty! Much to my surprise. The sweet malts are nicely subdued and the hops really burst through here with sweet juicy citrus and resinous pine charactersitics dominant. Totally tickles and tantalizes the palate going down. Puckers and dries out in the finish just how I like em. Not really having any high expectations here...this is damn good.

M: Mouthfeel is somewhat on the creamier side with a great bitter bite carried through by millions of tiny little bubbles that tickle the throat. Bitter dryness really cuts through in the end.

D: So nice. Big hop flavors are carried well with a subdued malt backbone and solid carbonation. ABV is nonexistant making this some easy drinking.

So East Cost does have some hops!?! I am now a believer of the Flower Power. I think I will be leaving this one on my wants list for sure.

3.25/5  rDev -23%

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

I've often seen this mentioned as an underrated IPA, so I figured it was finally time to give it a try.

Pours a clear amber color with some bubbles rising steadily to the top. Creamy light beige head fills the pint glass, leaves a mess of stick on the sides and keeps a very nice, full lace.

Mmm...smell is super juicy, resiny, citrus and pine hops. Very nice. Lots of caramel malt sweetness, as well.

Taste is also packed with citrusy hops, slick and resiny, with some pine as well. Nice caramel sweetness like the smell, and some toasted malt too. It's a bit boozy, with some alcohol burn and a long lasting hop bitterness. This really is a very hoppy IPA - dem flowers are indeed powerful.

This has a hefty medium body, with a nice creaminess and a slick resiny feel. Alcohol burn detracts just a bit from an otherwise very nice mouthfeel.

I didn't realize at first that this was 8%, which is pretty big for a standard IPA, but it made complete sense once I realized it. It definitely drinks a bit boozier and is fuller in the mouth than a typical IPA - it's getting to be halfway toward a DIPA, in my opinion. Whatever, this is good stuff. I will definitely be picking up more in the future.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottle with "Ithaca" in bold yellowish letters at the top and the name of the beer in 1960's psychedelic letters below that. Flanking the name are two big hop vines. The borders of the label is where you'll find the Government warning and a notched best before month system. Nothing was notched so I'm in the blind on knowing if this beer is past it's expiration date.

I poured this Flower Power into a Peg's Cantina Snifter. Coming out of the bottle, I thought this beer was a solid orange color. When I held it up to the light, I saw this beer's true color. It was actually a bright and hazy lemon yellow with a subtle gold highlight here and there. On top was a thin layer of cotton white foam. It was so small that it would be too hard to measure it. This thin layer didn't have any staying power. It was gone in a flash and it only managed to leave behind a faint string of rings along the side.

After getting a whiff of this beer, I now know why they call this beer "Flower Power." The aroma was mostly lightly bitter floral hops with a side of floral notes. There was also some minor citrus notes and a faint whiff of toasted biscuit at the end. That's all folks!

The taste was crispy and lightly bitter. It really didn't have an in your face bitterness. Kicking off the taste was the lightly bitter floral hops. Toward the end of the floral hop taste, is where my tastebuds happened upon some minor citrus notes. I was able to pick out a hint of grapefruit and a pinch of lemon. At the end of the taste, I found a tiny speck of toasted biscuits. Now I know why they didn't call this beer "Citrus Power." It was all about the floral hops.

This was a light to medium bodied American IPA with a good amount of carbonation and subtle crispy floral hop aftertaste. The aftertaste was just the floral hops. No more, no less. The floral hops stuck around for a few seconds before it way of the 1960s.

World Class beer? Not in my book. Maybe I need a fresher bottle or to try this beer on tap to think World Class. Again, my bottle wasn't notched so I'm not sure how old this beer is. It was a good beer. I'll give them that. It did show promise of being something better. As of right now, I'm not a Flower Child who enjoys Flower Power on a regular basis.

Flower Power India Pale Ale from Ithaca Beer Company