Flower Power India Pale Ale | Ithaca Beer Company

Flower Power India Pale AleFlower Power India Pale Ale

Ithaca Beer Company
New York, United States

Style: American IPA

Enjoy the clover honey hue and tropical nose. Simultaneously punchy and soothing with a big body and a finish that boasts pineapple and grapefruit. Flower Power is hopped and dry-hopped five different times throughout the brewing and fermentation process.

Added by Todd on 09-17-2002

Ratings: 5,349 |  Reviews: 1,305
4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Reviewed on 4-18-11
Reviewed cold from a bottle to a glass

A – Poured a nice two fingers of foam, cloudy copper color, lots of carbonation present

S – Hops with hints of malt. Citrus orange aroma but mainly lots of hops

T/M – Medium bodied, from the nose I would have guessed hop bomb but more like a brew that was half malt and half hop. Malt is a pretty big player with this brew. Smooth brew with a good amount of hop bitterness at the back end

D – Very drinkable brew, great blend of malt and hops. Very easy for me to drink more than one of these. I would for sure seek this brew out again. Big thanks to lovindahops for this one. I recommend this brew!!!

4.02/5  rDev -4.7%

A nice little extra in my box from Shuggy. Many Cheers for this!
*Bottle states best by Dec. 2010?

A: Pours a lightly hazy golden pale color with a huge 3 finger fluffy white pillow of foam. Amazing lace, how sweet the sound!

S: Smell is well rather floral actually. Picking up some sweet malts in the background. A bit on the tame side for an IPA in my opinion.

T: Wowzers this is super tasty! Much to my surprise. The sweet malts are nicely subdued and the hops really burst through here with sweet juicy citrus and resinous pine charactersitics dominant. Totally tickles and tantalizes the palate going down. Puckers and dries out in the finish just how I like em. Not really having any high expectations here...this is damn good.

M: Mouthfeel is somewhat on the creamier side with a great bitter bite carried through by millions of tiny little bubbles that tickle the throat. Bitter dryness really cuts through in the end.

D: So nice. Big hop flavors are carried well with a subdued malt backbone and solid carbonation. ABV is nonexistant making this some easy drinking.

So East Cost does have some hops!?! I am now a believer of the Flower Power. I think I will be leaving this one on my wants list for sure.

4.16/5  rDev -1.4%

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

I've often seen this mentioned as an underrated IPA, so I figured it was finally time to give it a try.

Pours a clear amber color with some bubbles rising steadily to the top. Creamy light beige head fills the pint glass, leaves a mess of stick on the sides and keeps a very nice, full lace.

Mmm...smell is super juicy, resiny, citrus and pine hops. Very nice. Lots of caramel malt sweetness, as well.

Taste is also packed with citrusy hops, slick and resiny, with some pine as well. Nice caramel sweetness like the smell, and some toasted malt too. It's a bit boozy, with some alcohol burn and a long lasting hop bitterness. This really is a very hoppy IPA - dem flowers are indeed powerful.

This has a hefty medium body, with a nice creaminess and a slick resiny feel. Alcohol burn detracts just a bit from an otherwise very nice mouthfeel.

I didn't realize at first that this was 8%, which is pretty big for a standard IPA, but it made complete sense once I realized it. It definitely drinks a bit boozier and is fuller in the mouth than a typical IPA - it's getting to be halfway toward a DIPA, in my opinion. Whatever, this is good stuff. I will definitely be picking up more in the future.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a Bell's tulip. The beer is a nice bright orange color, quite hazy, and sports two fingers of fluffy white head that lasts quite a while. The nose is very fruity with citrus notes of fresh lemon, grapefruit, and sweet pineapple.

Medium-light body with a reasonably firm feel and a very pleasant, bitter flavor. The beer is slightly wheaty up front with a soda cracker-like graininess. The hops all complement this feel and flavor very well, bringing lemon, grapefruit, orange, and white pepper. The finish is dry and bitter with lingering citrus fruit flavors.

So happy this stuff finally came across my path. I was at one of my beer haunts in Ohio, and there it was. I can see why this is a classic American IPA. Lots of sharp, fresh, citrusy American hop flavor, but maintains its drinkability. I would definitely buy this again.

3.25/5  rDev -23%

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottle with "Ithaca" in bold yellowish letters at the top and the name of the beer in 1960's psychedelic letters below that. Flanking the name are two big hop vines. The borders of the label is where you'll find the Government warning and a notched best before month system. Nothing was notched so I'm in the blind on knowing if this beer is past it's expiration date.

I poured this Flower Power into a Peg's Cantina Snifter. Coming out of the bottle, I thought this beer was a solid orange color. When I held it up to the light, I saw this beer's true color. It was actually a bright and hazy lemon yellow with a subtle gold highlight here and there. On top was a thin layer of cotton white foam. It was so small that it would be too hard to measure it. This thin layer didn't have any staying power. It was gone in a flash and it only managed to leave behind a faint string of rings along the side.

After getting a whiff of this beer, I now know why they call this beer "Flower Power." The aroma was mostly lightly bitter floral hops with a side of floral notes. There was also some minor citrus notes and a faint whiff of toasted biscuit at the end. That's all folks!

The taste was crispy and lightly bitter. It really didn't have an in your face bitterness. Kicking off the taste was the lightly bitter floral hops. Toward the end of the floral hop taste, is where my tastebuds happened upon some minor citrus notes. I was able to pick out a hint of grapefruit and a pinch of lemon. At the end of the taste, I found a tiny speck of toasted biscuits. Now I know why they didn't call this beer "Citrus Power." It was all about the floral hops.

This was a light to medium bodied American IPA with a good amount of carbonation and subtle crispy floral hop aftertaste. The aftertaste was just the floral hops. No more, no less. The floral hops stuck around for a few seconds before it way of the 1960s.

World Class beer? Not in my book. Maybe I need a fresher bottle or to try this beer on tap to think World Class. Again, my bottle wasn't notched so I'm not sure how old this beer is. It was a good beer. I'll give them that. It did show promise of being something better. As of right now, I'm not a Flower Child who enjoys Flower Power on a regular basis.

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Finally got around to trying this beer, and dammit, what took me so long?! I picked up a bottle from Top Hops Beer Shop on the Lower East Side.

The pour was bright gold with a solid head. The lacing decided to hang around a bit too.

The aroma hit me as soon as I popped the top. A huge note of grassy hops and a grapefruit where first to shine through.

On the taste, I got a citrusy burst first, followed by the piney bitterness I love from an IPA. It wasn't too bitter though. A fine example of a well crafted east coast IPA.

The carbonation was good, and the beer didn't dry my mouth out at all. All I know was that when I was done, I wanted more! This is a great IPA.

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

very solid citrus and rich broad sweetness. well hopped... great when fresh.didn't expect so many fruits and it comes forth as a citrus bomb. nose is dryer with hints with a floral pine dominating. palate is sweet orange with a bitter bite of orange peel. pineapple and mango touch that is crisped out with the bitter. great beginning to end on the palate. and nice bright and equally fruity as savory balance.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Enjoyed on tap at Pizzeria Paradiso in DC, poured into a pint glass.

A: A light golden brown, just darker than straw. A thin one finger head hangs out briefly, but doesn't leave any lacing.

S: A nice mix of sweet citrus and fresh hops. Some floral notes are there, but citrus is the primary scent.

T: The taste is excellent for a single IPA. Great balance between sweet citrus and floral notes and light bitterness from the hops. Honestly, it tastes like you're sipping a flower. Many times, IPA are dominated by one hop flavor (be it grapefruit, pine, or another), but this is remarkably well-balanced. No hints of alcohol. Wonderful.

M: A fairly light beer, especially given the the 7.5% ABV. Fairly highly carbonated.

O: Good beer! Sometimes IPAs can let me down, but this one was nice. The floral notes are definitely somewhat unique to this beer, given the other IPAs I've enjoyed. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for more Flower Power!

4.31/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.37/5  rDev +3.6%

3.73/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a cloudy deep orange with a finger of white foamy head and some nice lacing.

The smell is lemony with a hint orange peel. A bit like a wet sponge with a hint of tangerine thrown in as well. The sweetness is pretty sugary as well.

The taste is a bit citrusy but has a wash of dank flavor in the first sip. The second sip brings on some bitter flavor that accompanies the tangerine and orange flavor. Tangy and bitter almost at the same time. The tongue is left with a mild, bitter aftertaste

The feel is refreshing in a hoppy way. The bite of this beer does take a bit to get used to. Going down well, this beer just slides down leaving only a mild bitterness. Not a bad IPA.

Flower Power India Pale Ale from Ithaca Beer Company