Flower Power India Pale Ale | Ithaca Beer Company

Ithaca Beer Company
New York, United States
ithacabeer.com

Style: American IPA

Enjoy the clover honey hue and tropical nose. Simultaneously punchy and soothing with a big body and a finish that boasts pineapple and grapefruit. Flower Power is hopped and dry-hopped five different times throughout the brewing and fermentation process.

Added by Todd on 09-17-2002

Ratings: 5,247 |  Reviews: 1,283

Thanks to Spider889 for tossing this in for our IP trade.

A: Poured into my DFH signature glass, the beer is a clear orange with a large foamy, white head. The overly large head wasn't surprising since the beer fizzed up upon opening it. Decent head retention and sticky lacing.

S: Lots of floral and citrus hops, some orange, grapefruit, and a little bit of pineapple. There is also some light pine.

T: Lots of oily hops, mostly citrus with nice tropical fruit flavors similar to the aroma - grapefruit, pineapple, and a little bit of orange rind. There is a touch of grainy malt to balance things out with a slightly bitter finish.

M: Medium bodied, quite smooth with good carbonation. Has an oily slickness.

O: Second time I have had this beer and wish I could get it around here. A solid IPA that doesn't really have any flaws, solid all around.

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

Impressive dense head that leaves a ring of lace after each sip. Settles in a rocky fashion. The color of the brew is gold with a definitive chill haze.

Floral hop bitterness to the nose. Some grapefruit and some spruce.

Bitter even by by IPA standards. Not much malt at the beginning. Smooth malt start--almost creamy. The swallow initiates the bitterness which lasts long into the aftertaste. The body is rich but the carbonation provides a good balance to the mouthfeel. Simply put, this is one of the better IPAs I've ever had.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The pour was very nice, with a copper tinted amber that was just soo damn clear it was rediculous. Light carbonation that continued to bubble to the surface throughout the session really added to the overall look. The aroma was light, clean, crisp and decidedly citrus led. Really very well done here. It had a nice and bright quality to it with really only pineapple and grapefruit leading the charge. As I took the first sip I was instantly refreshed. Such a clean IPA, not overally balanced, this was a light, drinkable, very hoppy IPA, just what I wanted. Started with a rush of pineapple and grapefruit that was balanced against a light bready flavor that popped up mid palate, before falling by the way side and leaving only a nice and dry, and very clean bitter finish. The feel was damn perfect, very carbonated, light and very refrshing made this something that I went through all too quickly.

Overall this was easily one of the most sessionable IPAs I have ever run across and really one of the best tasting. I am glad I got this and it was worth the wait.

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

I had this on tap at Capone's in Norristown PA, served chilled in a pint.

A - A lightly hazed golden amber w/ 2.5 fingers of rocky light khaki. Lots of lace, small beading and there is visible carbonation in the beer.

S - A very citrus and yes, floral hop smell w lots of c hops giving a citrus and grapefruit edge w/ a hint of herbs. A very strong hop presence w/ sweet notes in the back -great aroma

M - The feel is bittersweet, crisp w/ an astringent and bitter texture dominating w/ moderate carbonation and mellow resinous texture. An interesting citrus acidity with just enough malt to add to the layers of dry and bitter in the finish

T - The taste is very full of citrus and zest flavors w a grapefruit and lemon peel taste that is bitter w/ a hint of juicy herbal and mild pine elements. The malt flavor gives a light honey-like taste w/ gentle orange and mild bitterness in the taste carries on. The floral part of the beer is more felt in the resinous smooth way the beer sits on the palate and there is a tasty smooth lemon, mango, lime and orange blend even until the finish- packed with flavor.

D - A great Imperial IPA to me - at 8% it is above your normal Amerian IPA in my opinion. I find it smooth grant you and not intensely bitter, but it still makes the cut. The flavor is easy to drink while potent until the last taste. I will definitely have this again, it took 3 tastes to review this. I enjoyed this, but figure at 8.2% it has its limits.

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

From 7/28/10 notes. Had on tap at Paradiso in Georgetown, DC.

a - Pours an amber color with one inch of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of citrus hops, floral hops, honey, and fruity malts.

t - Tastes of citrus hops, fruity malts, floral hops, and bready malts. Hint of bitterness but not much at all.

m - Medium body and low carbonation.

d - A pretty good, smooth IPA. Easy to drink and not very bitter, it had a lot of enjoyable citrus and floral notes. Would try again.

4.17/5  rDev 0%

A re-review of this one from the bottle as it seemed a bit different from the growler I had previously.

A: The pour is a nice looking amberish color with a fair amount of orange to it. A nice big white head forms as a cap.

S: The nose is more intense than the previous taste of it. A lot of floral and citrus hop notes, leaning toward orange and grapefruit with just a hint of pine.

T: The flavor is much more bitter than I recall it being. Lots of resinous flavors with a moderate amount of citrus. The hops also have a bit of tropical fruit that I didn't notice before. A bit of alcohol comes through as well, which is the only thing that knocks the score down here.

M: A really solid body to this one with plenty of carbonation and a really crisp feel overall on the tongue.

D: Again, the only knock on this beer was the alcohol flavor that I noted. Otherwise, a solid IPA and one of the few from the East Coast that I've had that I earns that description.

4.27/5  rDev +2.4%

Served on cask at Al's of Hampden into a nonic pint. This one is 10 days old.

A - Pours sunkist amber orange with a gigantic two and a half finger head leaving thick, sticky, lacing down the glass.

S - Lots of strong citric hops blast you in the face right off the bat. Quite grassy with a bit of pine toward the end. Some caramel malt sweetness is faint but is present and helps balance this one a bit. Very nice floral hop nose.

T - Tons of strong, grassy, citric hops up front giving way quickly to a mix of sweetness from the malt and sticky pine resin that lingers long into the finish. Alcohol is hidden quite well but does come out a bit in the finish. Fairly well balanced until the finish when the sweetness begins to overpower it a bit. Very nice, but not the best I have had.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Very smooth feel that helps blend all the flavors together. A touch too resiny in the finish for my liking.

D - Pretty high. I knocked it back VERY quickly. How can you go wrong with a hoppy monster on cask? Oh right, you can't. One of the best cask IPA's I have ever had. Great stuff.

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%

I am nearing the end of my latest horizontal, this one of Ithaca offerings, as a part of the eradication of the Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody.

From the bottle: Nada. I am not a fan of their no longer putting the ABV on the labels. I dig the minimalist look of the new labels, but less is not always more.

I find it VERY hard to believe that I have not previously reviewed Flower Power IPA, but since no review exists, I must press on. I know that I had a bottle for a Bro. Woody Knows Beer piece about a local florist, but this bottle is fresh from the FGBS here in town, so maybe something funny happened on the way to the Forum. SMH.

I could not make heads nor tails of the date stamp on the bottle, but it was a recent purchase on my part. Even so, I have become skittish & once I Pop!ped off the cap, I gave it a gentle pour followed by a vigorous in-glass swirl. This action raised two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, bone-white head that slowly fell back down. leaving great lacing in its wake. Color was an oh-so-slightly-hazy Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7), but it seemed to be clarifying as it warmed, leading me to wonder if it might not be a chill haze. Nose had a tropical fruitiness, like mango, papaya and pineapple. Hmmm. Mouthfeel was medium, but very soft, especially for the style. Usually, these AIPAs attack my tongue like Gangbusters coming through the door, but not in this case. The taste was deeply of pineapple, but underlain by a light grapefruit bitterness and a bready malt flavor. I thought of pineapple upside-down cake as I was drinking it! Yum. Finish was semi-dry, again, unusual in the style in my experience, but quite tasty. I really must return to this once I get caught up.

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

This bottle as a gift from afdempse. Purchased from the brewery. Thanks Adam!

A: Clear and effervescent, the beer is a yellow / orange color. There is a massive head that leaves ample lacing all over the glass.

S: Hops, grapefruit, citrus - typical of the style. The aroma is fresh and inviting, though not as aromatic or "big" as I would like.

T: Really nice flavors here. A burst of fresh hops with just the right amount of malt to support the bouquet of citrus and grapefruit tang. There is a healthy amount of bitterness in every sip. Overall, very good.

M: Medium bodied, nice feel. Alcohol presence shows up in the finish.

D: I've wanted to try this beer for a while now, and I am so glad I finally had the opportunity. This is a very tasty beverage. I would definitely have it again.

4.07/5  rDev -2.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a goblet. Thanks to GrindfatherBob for this one.

Appearance - Clear golden body with an ample head. Reduces to very little lacing, however.

Smell - Great hop aroma. Grapefruit citrus with some pine. No malt aroma at all.

Taste - Hop-forward, much like the smell. Great balance of citrus and pine to the hops. Only a hint of maltiness to it. As much as I don't like too much malt in my IPA, this tastes like hops and water, with a healthy lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Because of the lack of malt, it's pretty light. I think it lacks too much body.

Overall - I think I'm harsh on IPAs. This one tastes good, but there's not enough body to carry the flavor.

3.88/5  rDev -7%

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Fresh Flower Power IPA it's been awhile since I've seen this, but this stuff is excellent fresh. Appears a pale copper hazed orange hue with an off white slight orange tinted cream colored head. Forms thick and lacing is patterned evenly as it dwindles down around the sides of my chalice. Aroma is full of citrus/pineapple and earthy hops, very nice smell with caramelized/biscuit malts sugar coated hops wafting my way. Pungent bitterness with sugar coated citrus/grapefruit/earthy hop blasts...a very nice east coast hoppy IPA. Probably one of the best versions I've come across in some time from the East Coast. Mouthfeel is nice medium bodied sharp carbonation, this would cut through either spicy foods or strong cheeses easily. Slightly oily textured hop content in the body gliding across the palate. Drinkability overall is excellent one of those effortless easy drinking IPAs that will surprise you with the alcohol content, up there with Bell's Two Hearted or Founders Centennial IPA.

Flower Power India Pale Ale from Ithaca Beer Company