Thirteen | Ithaca Beer Company

ithacabeer.com

Style: Wheatwine

Added by ToAzwethinkweizm on 12-05-2010

2.21/5  rDev -45.6%

poured into a tulip glass, nice slightly hazy orange color. pretty good head retention.

nose has a strong lemon rind note, fruity, kinda reminds me of like a citrus scented cleanser, but not in a completely terrible way.

this beer has no balance in terms of taste. it just has a ton of lemon hop flavor with a very bracing bitterness. finish is incredibly dry. not saying that i love big syrupy sweet beers but when you have so much bitterness you need a bit of sweet to balance it out.

i had a glass and drain poured the rest quite honestly, i rarely do that with a beer. i love a good hoppy beer but let's get some balance.

2.22/5  rDev -45.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Batch: E!034

A: Dusky cardboard colored ale with a couple fingers of really light yellow foam falls to a sheet of the same, broken at times. Roped sheets of lace. I like the look.

S: Leather, citrus, vinyl, peppercorns, some corn and wheaty sweetness. Definitely short of wheat dominant, and I'm uncertain if I dig the nose here, gimme a minute. Minute and half a beer later, it's got a bit of a plastic smell. Nope, don't really dig it.

T: Really bitter, pointers of sweet bran syrup, and bitter orange peels. Chemical flavors and some yeast.

M: This beer is super dry, really really dry. It's got real interesting finish as my mouth waters so hard on the breath back. The carb is lively and balances the heavy feel well.

O: Not really feeling this beer. But it is not particularly offensive. Below average for me, but I'm not really an expert on Wheat Wines. Conversely, this one seems hoppy, indicating it doesn't really fit the traditional profile.

2.22/5  rDev -45.3%

A- Looks like a wheat beer, and other wheatwines I've had in the past. Golden yellow, nice clingy white lacing.

S- The smell is interesting, lemon, pepper, and hop combo. I can smell the Sorachi Ace hops. They are very overpowering when added to a beer.

T- This beer would have been much much better had they used a German yeast instead of an American ale yeast. Plus the citrus flavor seems almost like it was burnt. Sometimes when you add heat to citrus for too long you get strong bitter flavors, and not the true essence of the citrus. The hops they added give the beer a bitter taste like that of eating too much grapefruit pith. Just because you make something different then what is out there doesn't mean it will be good.

M- The hops that were used are astringent on the tongue and kill the taste buds off, and a strange feeling on my teeth.

O- I've had better wheatwines, and this one just kind of missed the mark for me. The hop combo and burnt citrus just tank this one.

2.26/5  rDev -44.3%

Batch# E!033. $15.00 for the 750mL bottle. Served in a tulip.

A: Three fingers of a fluffy, foamy, cream colored head shows excellent retention. Hazy yet vibrant, the body is medium-light golden orange in color. Tons of light colored yeast particles can be seen suspended in solution. A solid film a thick collar remain for quite some time but lacing is minimal.

S: The aroma is dominated by plasticky phenolics and, way off in the background, scents of dried lemon rind, flowers, weeds, talcum powder & dried/processed coconut. The orange peel is nowhere to be found.

T: I have no problems with front to mid-palate, it's actually pretty enjoyable. Things fall apart (and quickly!) on the backend when the drieness sets in and the only flavor left is plasticky phenols. Drain-pouring is a consideration.

M: The mouthfeel is by far the best aspect of the brew. The body is light-medium with a semi-soft but spritzy level of carbonation. Finishes with a chalky texture and maybe even flavor.

O: I have been singing Ithaca's praises lately, especially when it comes to their anniversary ales. But when it comes to Thirteen...unfortunately, I'm not a fan.

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%

2.57/5  rDev -36.7%

Pours light hazy amber with orangy off white half finger head.

Citrus hops come to the nose even before I put my nose to this beer. It has a pretty good smell, let's hope the taste....

Umm hmm the taste...huge bitter finish is kinda nice. I get a whole heap of lemon citrus, cleaning fluid, honey, oak, flowery, yeast, grains. I tried and tried to get into this, but am not digging it. Sweetness is prominent.

Mouthfeel is good, they're right about fluffy, a bit creamy. Medium light.

First thought that came to mind was to make this my first drainpour. I didn't though. It improved, but only slightly. First wheat wine, not a good experience. From the description I was expecting deliciousness, but never got it.

2.59/5  rDev -36.2%

Poured a gorgeous hazy golden orange color with lots of carbonation sticking to the side of the glass. The white one and a half inch head is supa-frothy and holds shape well when you poke a finger in it.

Aroma. Holy citrus. Smells like lemon rind with strong hop aroma. Slight medicinal/alcohol scent.

Taste starts out with the pine sol and lemon rind, but then this weird air freshener musty flavor takes over.

Feel is smooth but moderate. Nice tingling from the carb. This is a drain pour and I really feel bad about it.

But I can't drink it.

So I either don't like wheatwines or sorachi hops.
I just burped and it tasted like burning rubber and plastic.

The rare miss from Ithaca.

2.69/5  rDev -33.7%

Thanks to jmu500 for this bottle in a late wintertime trade. After a weekend of brutal, bruising, barrel-aged craziness this appears to be just what the nurse ordered. My wife, I mean. 750ML bottle split into two snifters; only about 3/4 of the bottle poured initially to avoid any potential sludgy wheat issues.

Pour is an almost solid yellow-orange with a gentle white head. The smell turns my arrow up, too much for my stunned nose to process. Tons of unmilled wheat, lemon, citrus, sweet honey, bare sour tang underneath it all. Niiiice.

Ithaca Thirteen's nose lies like a lothario; this is no sweet bomb. Half a wheat harvest, a hefe gone mad-dog, lights up the senses. Then there's a weedy backbone that dampens my enjoyment of the brew considerable, underlined by an rudderless wet-dogginess. Yeah, that's not good. There's citrus, lemon skin, & gentling hops, but I'm put off by the off-flavors. My wife is digging this, so I'm going to turn the rest of the glass over to her.

Disappointing. The smell is wonderful, but what happened in the translation to taste? Perhaps just not my bag of groceries.

2.75/5  rDev -32.3%

2.84/5  rDev -30%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

Ithaca Beer Company has come out with a Wheatwine and this "Thirteen" is particularly interesting. It may be one of the first beers I've tried of the style. It's certainly unforgettable.

In the Janet Jackson Superbowl Nipslip kinda way.

Or the Miss South Carolina way.

Or like Blair Witch.

Or... well, you get the point.

The appearance is a thick fog of wheat and straw orange. It lets no light through. Slight head that lingers on the top only a little. It's mostly just viscous wheatiness. It smells like citrus, as if they pulled all the orange peel out of the hops they could, and gave nothing to back it up. The taste is totally citrus first, and on the original few sips I was enjoying a barleywine type character that used astringent sweetness to cover the alcohol. But as the body warmed, and as I had more and more, the most cloying wheaty hops dryness began to overwhelm my palate on the aftertaste. As I finished, it continued to grow. Keeping my mouth closed helped, and I got some sweetness there. Any time I opened it back up, I was dry as the Sahara.

By the end of the glass, the medium to full bodied brew that had been so citrusy sweet at the start had turned into a drying monster. I left Nags Head Ale House and walked down the street like a panting dog.

I will never forget. One of the most absolutely unique drinks I've had in a while. But also one I won't be returning to (unlike the Superbowl Nipslip or Miss South Carolina).

3.11/5  rDev -23.4%

Bottle courtesy of Mike. Thanks!

A: The pour is a hazed golden orange color with a white head.

S: Some very floral hops. Fairly herbal too with a lot of citrus (orange) peel. There's a bit of grass and wheat, but a strong plastic aroma, unfortunately.

T: A harsh bitterness and plastic flavor that sort of ruins the whole beer. There is some good citrus and citrus peel flavor and the floral hop qualities are nice. Piney hops provide some more bitterness.

M: Medium in body with medium carbonation.

O: There are some decent flavors, but that plastic was just too much to look past.

3.11/5  rDev -23.4%

Alright, review #3, bottle number 11 courtesy of shrek806. Blind BIF

A-Straw colored yellow with a big fluffy white head. This looks pretty great, some nice lacing left along the glass as the head dissipates. 4

S-I was expecting IPA here, and the smell puts me off a bit. I get lemon zest and orange peel, lots of grain and wheat, along with another strange smell that I can't put my finger on. Booze as well. Not bad, not great. 3

T-Lots of lemon and orange like the nose, with a wheat backbone. I get that same off flavor that I got in the aroma, which isn't horrible, just tough to get past. This is also very bitter without a whole lot of sweetness to balance it out. Glad I had a buddy to split this with, as a 750 would have been way too much. 3

M-Meduim bodied with good carbonation and very dry. It does go down easily. 3.5

O-I wasn't a huge fan of this beer. That being said, there were aspects I found enjoyable but there was an off flavor that I really couldnt get past, almost like a rubbing alcohol/solvent thing going on. 3

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%

Aromas begin with a boat ton of citrus, both lemon and citrus evenly, with some wheat and bready/biscuity maltiness. As it warms the smells become less pleasurable with odd yeasty phenols and an odd band-aid/Flintstones chewable vitamin.
The taste begins with a solid bready/biscuity maltiness that slowly transitions into a strong bitter citrus and solid pine flavor. The bitterness becomes harsh and astringent as this warms, not enjoyable and does not help to balance the sweetness surprisingly. There is a sweet, prevalent cane sugar taste throughout which I do no enjoy. Honestly this beer is not good, unbalanced is the best way to describe it. Maybe the wheat style is best under 9.0% ABV but this is cloying and unpalatable after a half a glass. I had high expectations after the reviews and the description of Citra hops added, but this falls really really short for me.

3.25/5  rDev -20%

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%

A: Hazy golden color with some floaties in suspension. A little less than a quarter finger of white head with some lacing.

S: I am not in love with the nose on this beer. Has a weird baby powder hop nose. Little bit of citrus. A little bit of florally hop aroma as well. There are good parts of the nose as well as not so good.

T: This is not like any wheatwine that I have ever heard and I think it falls to that description as it is a weird beer in-between styles. The hops and the citrus work well together. The wheat beer is barely there. The citrus comes across nicely but it is not from the hops. It reminds me of a batch of DIPA I made a while ago. Finishes clean.

M: Medium body. Light carbonation.

D: I was disappointed by this one. It is not really a wheatwine. It is an interesting and different beer but not up to the other Ithaca anniversary beers.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Bottle: Poured a hazy yellow color ale with a large foamy head with OK retention and light lacing. Aroma of quite intense bitter hops with some floral notes and light pickles notes from the Citra. Taste is a unique mix between some wheat malt with intense notes of bitter hops with light citrus and pickles flavours with some residual sugar also noticeable. Body is full with limited filtration and good carbonation with no apparent alcohol. Interesting mix thought dry hops presence is a bit too intense and doesn’t leave much place for the wheat malt base to come through.

Thirteen from Ithaca Beer Company