Dark Humor | Ithaca Beer Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-18-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 52 | Ratings: 85
4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Dark Humor has a black, opaque body and a finger and a half of solid looking head. Retention and lacing are both pretty good.

The aroma has a good bit of roast to it, but also a noticeably sour brett characteristic to it.

Up front comes a good bit of roasted malt, followed by a nice chocolate flavor. Dark bread is pretty noticeable also, providing a bit of sweetness. The finish has a good blast of brett, that is sour without being overwhelming. I like it a lot, the sourness and the malt base work together and I like them together better than I would like either on its own. I like porters with a little bit of sourness, and this one is pretty good.

Fairly light body with smooth, natural carbonation.

I like it. I think from here on out, all of the brett collaboration beers that Ithaca does will be must-tries for me. Also, this reminds me a lot of the New Glarus Old English Porter that I had with about a year of age on it.

4.6/5  rDev +14.7%

man was I waiting for the firkenteenth at J Ryan's. Dark Humor has been totally anticipated by all my friends from our favorite local brewery. Looking forward to this...

A- pours an opaque, dark body with a small mocha like head of foam. Minimal lacing, but a hearty looking brew nonetheless

S- there it is... a good whiff of brett that blends with a malted sweet flavor. The scent flows through with a robust finish that creates an initial outlay of the deemed "brett porter"

T- can you say one in a million??? Look, I will never declare that I have the most experienced palate on the east coast. Nevertheless, Dark Humor delivers with a roasted flavor that is enrobed in the brett experience. The end snaps your tongue with a charcoal flavor and disappears with that expected bready flavor. Man this is unique. I need more (oh yeah I will be getting growler fills at the brewery this thursday)

M- the flavor creates a secondary coating barrier on your mouth. It's good and crisp

D- ok, the best part... Dark Humor is so drinkable and unstoppable with flavor. Hate to be redundant, but the concept of a brett porter that was on cask is unbelievable. Ithaca, you have delivered a brew that will echoe with differentiation.... this is that good

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last