Country Pumpkin | Ithaca Beer Company

New York, United States
ithacabeer.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Country Pumpkin is our medium-bodied harvest ale brewed with a medley of flavorful malt, pumpkin puree, Magnum hops and a touch of seasonal spices.The masterful blend of 2-Row, Vienna, Munich, Caramunich and Honey malt with Magnum hops balances the sweet pumpkin with an aroma of nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and allspice to create a rich, malty ale for the autumn season.Delight in the deep golden-orange glow while savoring the complex, malt-forward flavors and surprisingly dry finish of our new curcubitaceous ale.

Added by sliverX on 09-13-2012

Reviews: 79 | Ratings: 399
4.48/5  rDev +20.4%

Despite my disgust at seeing so many pumpkin beers being released in late-August, I loaded up and set them aside for October. Here we are!

From the bottle: "Ale brewed with Pumpkin and Spices".

I am not shy about employing a heavy-handed pour and this was one such instance. I quickly ended up with a finger-and-a-half of fizzy, tawny head with immoderate retention. The nose was redolent with cinnamon and clove and this one really smelled like a pumpkin pie!

Oh, man. I remember my first semester of Foods 1 at McCaskey High School, when we baked just about every day and sometimes we made food in an oven. Ha ha. I made a loaf of banana bread for Thanksgiving that was as dense as a short plank, but the pumpkin pie that came out of my group's kitchen was to die for! We were a group of jocks and myself, but those guys were true Americans in the sense that a recipe was only a guideline. Once we had the base recipe set up, they would add things as they saw fit, throwing caution and me to the wind. I was sure we were DIW and girded myself for a failing grade, but when it came out of the oven, it smelled heavenly!

That is of what this beer reminded me. Just the right amount of spices before achieving saturation. Color was a slightly hazy orangish-amber (SRM = > 13, < 17). Mouthfeel was thin and watery, but the taste was like liquified pumpkin pie. Man, I was getting clove, nutmeg, cinnamon, all dancing a happy little jig on my tongue. Happy, happy, happy.

Speaking of Cinnamon, have I ever mentioned her? She was Momma China's taut, blonde counterpart at Papa Joe's in Ceiba, P. R. in early 1993. They were doing a duo onstage when I walked in, decked out in Pirates gear, and being from near Smithton, PA, they pulled me up onstage with them. Grinding and undulating against me, they slowly peeled off all of my clothes with the exception of my skivvies. Back then, I was Henry Rollins buff, so it was not sad or funny, but the bouncer jumped up when Cinnamon started to pull off my (thankfully) clean undies. After that, I was golden at the club and when Momma China got ready to return to the States, I gave her a wad of Pirates tix and told her to enjoy herself. I know that I had.

Speaking of enjoyment, this was a party in my mouth. I have reviewed other pumpkin ales recently, but this one was hitting the mark. The spices really seemed to get along together, more like a symphony than a discordant jazz jam. This should be made into an air freshener and be misted in my (admittedly) stinky classroom. The finish was dry, thanks to all of the spices. It was not alum dry, but it was plenty dry, believe me! I may stick a candle in the neck of the spent bottle and use it for Hallowe'en.

4.13/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle dated best before December 2013 into my Duvel Nymph Tulip glass.

A- Attractive and seasonally appropriate dark orange/copper body with foamy, off white, one finger head that dies down to just a bubbly film before I got through the song Colossal by Wolfmother. Almost no visible carbonation bubbles rising to the top.

S- The aroma is sweet malty and nutty pumpkin at first. Then the classic pumpkin spices kick in. I'm mostly getting ginger and allspice, but also some cinnamon.

T- I think the nutty pumpkin flavors are not as noticeable as their aromatic counterparts at first, but it comes out more as the beer warms. The ginger, allspice, and cinnamon certainly compliment the luscious malts. A certain balance between sweetness and the spices along with some earthy hops is struck here. And quite striking it is indeed.

M- Mid to full bodied with low carbonation. Very smooth and velvety mouthfeel with a spicy, dry finish. Pleasing combination of chewiness while maintaining crispness.

O- This is my first pumpkin ale of the season, and it was exactly what I was looking for. It is almost like eating the bottom of a pumpkin spice muffin with some hops along for the ride. There is nothing artificial about how it smells or tastes. No flavor is dominant. They all get their turn to shine, and that is how I like my pumpkin ales.

3.52/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy copper with a half finger of fizzy head that very quickly dissipates. The nose has strong pumpkin notes. The taste is a bit of a downer considering the potent smell. There is certainly pumpkin in the flavor profile, but the overall taste is light and the body is thin. There is a light, dry bitterness on the finish which is a pleasant way to end.

This offering has some great potential and would be an excellent example of the style if it were more full-bodied.

4.2/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Six Pack.

A: A standard deep orange, light brown, clear/filtered, decent head, nothing too crazy here.

S: Smell is pretty pungent, standard pumpkin pie spices, some bready yeastyness, some true pumpkin/gourd smell too.

T: Yum. A great blend of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Not overwhelming. Theres also a great pumpkin flavor that so many of these pumpkins lack. Theres enough noble hops in there to remind you that its a beer/ale, and its got a plesant english yeast/bread taste as well. Delicous.

M: Pretty sessionable, not cloying, or overly seasoned. I could have a couple of these. Has a full/rich body though.

O: One of the best 6pack pumpkin ales I've ever had. Definitely the best I've had this season. Similar to Smuttynose's with a little more spices. If you like pumpkin beers you wont be dissapointed.

3.89/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A-Clear orange, one finger head that doesn't last long and not much carbonation.

S-Spices, cinnamon, pumpkin. What you'd imagine a pumpkin beer would smell like.

T-Very much like the nose, Spice heavy, very sweet. Tad earthy as well.

M-Lighter, not much carbonation, watery.

O-A good pumpkin ale, not the best in the world, but solid.

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pumpkin ales are so common these days, and I tasted this one after drinking Dogfish's Punkin, so needless to say my expectations were high. This isn't quite as flavorful as Dogfish's brew, and certainly did not have the pumpkin flavor that I look for, but it did have a nice mouthfeel, with a medium thickness and carbonation just low enough to allow for the flavors to shine. This is more on the spicy end of the spectrum, with the smell reminding me of pumpkin pie but the taste being more complex and more centered on the spice than pumpkin. Overall, I consider this to be a good but not great pumpkin ale. It's definitely above average and is a good example of the style, one that is likely to be enjoyed for someone looking for a more spicy taste.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

12 ounce bottle, best before October 2013. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear orange/amber color with about a half inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both decent enough. The brew smells like pumpkin spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger) and pumpkin. Taste is the same as the aroma, it tastes like pumpkin spices and pumpkin. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a bit slick and has moderate carbonation. I think it's a solid pumpkin beer, but not one of my favorites. Still, I won't have any problems finishing this sixer. $9.99 a six-pack.

3.42/5  rDev -8.1%

Served from a 12 oz bottle

A - poured a light orange/Amber with small head and some lacing.

S - smelled like pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon and some hops

T - tasted just like it smelled at first but at the end the hops took over. Would've been better if there was more of a pumpkin taste.

M - light and under carbonated

Overall - not the worst pumpkin beer I've had but not the best, that being said I'd buy it again though.

3.09/5  rDev -16.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy amber-orange color with a one-finger white head.

Smell: Nutmeg and clove with faint pumpkin. Wheat and some biscuity notes as well. This one is definitely more spice than actual pumpkin, although honestly it's a little underwhelming as a whole.

Taste: Unfortunately the trend of underwhelming continues here. Comes off like a lightly spiced pale lager. There just isn't a lot going on, and I get little to no actual pumpkin flavor.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, medium carbonation.

Overall: Not a bad beer, but there just isn't enough going on to keep it interesting. Where's the pumpkin?

4.22/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours a hazy honey-orange. No head to speak of, even after an aggressive pour. At best I get a thin layer of fizzy bubbles. Nice amount of carbonation

Smells very close to pumpkin pie. Sweet caramel, notes of vanilla, typical spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, allspice, ginger, clove. Lots of really nice aromas. Oh yeah, and pumpkin. Smells spicier than sweet. One of the best-smelling pumpkin beers I've had

Taste follows the nose. Dry biscuity malts and sweet caramel malts blend together nicely. Pumpkin throughout. On the mid-palate come the spices. Cinnamon and nutmeg at first then the rest of the aforementioned spices come out. The end result is a nicely-balanced, slightly drying, tasty pumpkin brew. Ends on a sweet note with a hint of vanilla

Feels dry and crisp. A little spicy

Overall I'm impressed by this moreso than any pumpkin beer I've had so far this year. Well-balanced with lots of flavor. Highly recommended

3.55/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A_Pours a deep copper with a one finger tan head.

S_Mild graham cracker aroma with vague hints of spice. Doesn't bludgeon you over the head with the spice but smells nice.

T_Dry biscuity malt mixed with caramel up front. This is follwed by a nice mellow spice hint of cinammon and clove, maybe some allspice. Mostly dry.

M_Lighter bodied for the style with an aggressive tight carbonation.

O_An easy drinking pumpkin beer. Not too heavy handed with the spices but with enough to let you know it is there.

4.04/5  rDev +8.6%

I picked this up at Wegman's in a mix-a-six, poured chilled from the bottle into a teku chilled.

The color and clarity are very good with a medium amber color and translucent clarity with thin two finger tan cap with small bead and sticky lace collects. The smell is very good with a mild fragrant spice like cinnamon and vegetal odor combined with a moderately sweet and light malt aroma with some mild yeast fruitiness. The feel is decent with a slightly thin feel with moderate carbonation and mild sweetness with a moderate spice level and gentle alcohol feel and lightly toasted sweet malt presence.

The taste of this pumpkin ale is very smooth with mild sweet and caramel malt taset yet the flavor has an nice element of spice...a good caramel malt backbone with subtle cinnamon and perhaps nutmeg but neither dominates more of a synergistic effect with slight ginger-like light woody and tropical accent to the malt and yeast fruitiness. Overall this is a very quaffable pumpkin ale, I like the fact that the spice doesn't overwhelm the base ale flavor which is excellent on it's own - the flavor of ginger adds a brightness that is not always found in the style -well done Ithaca!

3.96/5  rDev +6.5%

Served from bottle with best before date of november. Poured into pint glass. Tasted before and after pairing with a coconut custard dessert.

L: amber color, very clear. Head is about 1 finger thick and doesnt stick around long.

A: pumpkin with notes of cinnamon, allspice, clove, and nutmeg.

T: earthy pumpkin flavor, not too sweet. Notes of clove. Caramel malty flavor as well

M: spices stick around, low carbonation and low bitterness. Very smooth

O: this is a great go-to beer for full bodied pumpkin flavor. Very drinkable. I think that some people saying that it wasnt unique took away from the beer. Its still a very good beer and very drinkable. A must try.

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Another pumpkin ale and another issue when rating them. Is it different and is it tasty? Well this one is tasty but not different. Good use of spice and just the right amount of sweetness. Great hop usage that really accentuates the spices. The real winning feature is the smell. Sweet and delicious pumpkin pie. Not very different but it stands out because it's well done.

3.79/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

falls a little into the overly spiced, under pumpkined category, but I like this a lot still. pours rich and creaming oktoberfest orange right from the tap, with a tall and frothy white head with good staying power. the nose is clove and cinnamon and vanilla, not so much pumpkin itself, more pie spice. good amber and caramel malt backing balanced it well. the taste is also real spice forward to the detriment of any real pumpkin flavor, but the spices used are used well, and I don't really miss the vegetable. this being my first fall seasonal of the year (it is still august people), it might come across better than it would late November when ive been on them for awhile, but for now I quite enjoy this. great feel with really bright carbonation for a fall time beer, and a really creamy feel to it. this would be great on cask, and I look forward to trying a bottled version soon too. not the best of these, but far far from the worst.

A-a clear orange amber color with a fingers worth of white head

S-cinnamon, cloves, pumpkin and sweet pumpkin pie

T-taste has more vegetable pumpkin taste than sweet pumpkin pie, but there is still plenty of cinnamon and other spices

M-medium body, medium carbonation

Overall this is a nice beer for the style, I like that it's not overly sweet and you can actually taste the pumpkin.

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

Draft at The Pour House in westmont, NJ.

Pours a very hazy, dark orange/copper color with burnt orange edges and a half finger off-white head that quickly settles into a thin ring. Spotty lacing left behind.

Slightly vegetal pumpkin pie aroma with sweet malt, autumnal spices and floral hops.  Some caramel malt and toffee along with  pumpkin, allspice, clove and ginger.

Full bodied with a zesty spice presence that lingers over the sweet malt notes  and pumpkin purée into a slightly dry finish.  Touch of floral hops with some clove, cinnamon and allspice followed by a sweet, slightly earthy pumpkin presence.  More dessert like, however, with pumpkin pie sweetness, vanilla and nutmeg.  Well balanced with a subtle hop presence that adds another dimension.  Flavorful and very easy to drink.

3.81/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Tons of microscopic sediment floaties in my glass makes for a hazy beer. Color is a bright orange amber with a 1/4 inch of head that dials back to a nice sticky lace ring.

S - Smell has a bit of vegital funk but mostly sweet of the spice that I like (perfect balance of nutmeg and cinnamon) Maybe some caramel malt and gram cracker too.

T - Well it does have a nice balance of vegital and hop bitterness which I appreciate along with enough cinnamon and nutmeg to get by. Above average attempt I guess.

M - For 6.3% it drinks light to medium. Quite sessionable I guess.

Overall for the dollar I paid it was not a bad pumpkin ale. As always it could use more spice but 2x better than Punkin or Brooklyn's pumpkin.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

Fills a tulip glass with a hazed, rustic orange and a slight, short lived, off white crown that leaves modest lacing.

One can faintly detect pumpkin and pie spices alongside caramel malt.

Sweet pumpkin pie is light but distinct. Nutmeg is the more prominent spice, while the finish is a touch astringent and lingering. After warming the pumpkin steps up and improves the flavor substantially.

Aggressive carbonation scours the medium bodied, woolly textured beer from the palate. Alcohol is greater than expected.

This is another pumpkin beer, with nothing special to distinguish it. Allow this one to warm and it does improve.

None of the beers produced under this style, by any brewer, particular impress me. I may have reached my limit for the year. Yet hope still holds out that someone will make an impressive pumpkin beer next year.

3.1/5  rDev -16.7%

A. Pours a light golden orange color. Thin quarter finger of wispy white head with just a smattering of lacing.

S. Cinnamon, brown sugar, clove, a little bit of bready malt character. Not much depth, but hits most of the core notes.

T. Follows the nose with cinnamon, lots of brown sugar, some all spice. Malts are light and somewhat fruity. Spices are the most apparent flavors, with a malt and hop base that doesn't really add too much. Drinks light a very thin, light slice of cheap pumpkin bread.

M. It's pretty damn watery. Everything here is just "mild" except for the spices which are more moderate. I just like a bit more depth to my pumpkin ales and this one lacks the sweet, thick character I've come to enjoy.

O. Decidedly average. Offensively inoffensive. They need to ramp up the malt on this one and give me something to sink my teeth into. Not bad, but certainly not memorable.

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Pours medium light amber with light white foam. Some lacing. Nose is more nutmeg than anything. Some cinamon. Maybe a hint of pumpkin. Taste - mostly malt with a light spiced pumpkin throughout. Mild bitter close. Overall an upper middle pumpkin beer. Good.

3.4/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz bottle at fridge temp poured into a snifter. Best Before DEC 2012.

pours out a burnt orange color with a bit of haziness to it. slightly less than one fingers worth of off white head that quickly faded to a thin foam ring and then eventually nothing.

pretty typical pumpkin ale aroma, nothing really impressive hear. some cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg as well as some actual pumpkin. some light alcohol esters as it warms. not much else.

pretty much the same as the aroma, typical spices with a bit of actual pumpkin.

carbonation is a little too aggresive. light to medium in body. the only thing this really has going for it is drinkability, my glass was empty before i knew it.

a little too average to be worth buying again, glad i got this as a single. tastes like every other pumpkin ale out there. i expected more from ithaca.

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured into a standard pint glass
It has a nice bright burnt orange color body with a small white head that quicly goes down to a very thin lace. The smell has a nice malt and allspice aroma with a hint of cinnamon in there also. The taste has a sweet taste up front then the spices and the pumpkin come in to play on the middle and the finish, leaving a nice like spice film on the tonuge. The mouth feel is really good and overall a good balanced pumpkin beer.

3.82/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a burnt orange color with a tiny white head that fades almost instantly leaving no lacing.

Smell – The smell is a mix of roasted malt, pumpkin and some sweet brown sugar and caramel. There are some very light nutmeg and clove aromas as well. Overall sweet and roasty.

Taste – The taste starts out of sweet caramel and a bready taste. Quickly a sweet brown sugar laden pumpkin flavor mixed with a lighter spice of nutmeg and allspice come to the tongue. These flavors linger throughout the taste till the end where the roasted pumpkin and malt flavors increase. In the end a sweet-lightly roasted pumpkin flavor is left to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is a little above average in terms of creaminess with a carbonation level that is rather low. While a bit more carbonation would have been good for the sweeter nature of the beer, the creamy body (accentuated by the lower carbonation) was very good for the pumpkin flavors.

Overall – Not a bad pumpkin brew. It is on the sweeter side without too much spice. Worth a try if you have a chance.

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Clear pumpkin-hued body under an inch of off-white foam. Ok retention, decent lace. Pretty solid.

S: Spicy. Lots of clove, cinnamon, and allspice. Not much else. Pleasant enough.

T: More complex here, with the up-front pie spices giving way to some mildly sweet toasty malt and a nice hint of gourd. Clean, lightly bittersweet finish with some pumpkin lingering on the spicy aftertaste. Pretty tasty.

M: Soft, well-carbonated medium body. Great.

O: Enjoyable. I'm not generally a huge fan of the style, and indeed I find this too be overly spiced, but compared to most of the other ones I've had I'm impressed. Definitely worth a shot if you're a fan of Pumpkin Ales.

Cheers!