Space Ghost Imperial Stout | Central Waters Brewing Co.

Space Ghost Imperial StoutSpace Ghost Imperial Stout
Liked This Beer
4.07 w/ 494 ratings
Space Ghost Imperial StoutSpace Ghost Imperial Stout

Central Waters Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
centralwaters.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by Gus34 on 11-20-2013

Liked:
4.07/5
Alströms:

2.15/5  rDev -47.2%

Did I get a bad bottle? I bought two based on the reasonable price and reputation of the brewery. Most chili infused beers are very subtle. Not this one. There is a decent stout in there somewhere, but unfortunately, it is completely obliterated by a very chemical tasting and overpowering heat that burns the back of the throat. I eat spicy food every day so I am used to it. It was very off. I am keeping the other to see if it mellows out a bit over time but this was truly undrinkable. Drano on this bottle.

2.63/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Just had a bit too much pepper for my liking. I'm sure the style is to point however.

2.75/5  rDev -32.4%

2.75/5  rDev -32.4%

3.04/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.19/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Black body. Small khaki head. Medium collar.

Smell - Milk chocolate. Light peppers. A little coconut and vanilla. That could be left over from the Floyd D'Rue I drank previously.

Taste - Chocolate. Between dark and milk chocolate. Peppers build quickly. Sharp spiciness. Finishes with a nutty caramel malt.

Mouthfeel - Very spicy. Medium carbonation and medium body.

Overall - The pepper doesn't bother me so much, the way I thought it might. It's really just the stout that isn't very impressive.

3.21/5  rDev -21.1%

Woah, I did not realize how strong this would be until I finally opened it. I guess I'm only drinking one beer tonight.

The color is dark as night, with a minimal head consisting of small bubbles. Not an appearance that blew me away.

Smells of roasted coffee beans, chocolate, raisins and booze. Unlike the appearance, this smells marvelous.

Relatively low-key initial taste, with subtle roasted beans dominating the flavor. As the beer lingers the chilli really kicks in, adding a unique and spicy element to this. The spiciness of the chili was so dominating that any notes of alcohol were entirely removed.

This is a beer with attitude allright, and I definitely see the appeal of it. Personally however, it didin't exactly hit the right chords. Mostly due to the relatively subtle taste, besides the chili. The later of which, was incredibly present which I'm sure attracts people with more of a palate for hot spices. Good brew, joke's on me for buying a chili beer and then complain about the chili.

Bought a 22oz growler for $7 at my local liquor store.

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

3.26/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours out black as night with a nice two finger light brown head, Smell is malty. Really smells like a beer that is not as dark. Smells a little sweet with maybe a little peppers but I'm just guessing cause I know it's supposed to have peppers in it. Otherwise I wouldn't think peppers. Taste.is dark malts, dark fruits, and a decent amount of peppers although not overwhelming. Compared to say Huna it seems to have more peppers. It's really not that much hotter but the choice of peppers seems to be such that it just doesn't meld with the stout as well as I would have hoped although it's still OK but not too great. Mouthfeel is medium to a little thin for what I would expect but the peppers are kicking in, Overall the beer is a decent stout with a little too much pepper for my taste but others may love it. I'm just over the hot pepper thing. Not to say it is really hot but just a little too much for the beer as it becomes a little too much than the beet can handle,

After drinking more it seems like they didn't pick the right peppers for taste and a little too hot for my taste. The peppers just don't add to the taste and really make the beer taste worse. Poor choice of peppers.

3.32/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Forgetting the adjuncts, this is a Nice stout. It could use a bit more body, but it also pours with a pretty decent head that doesn't dissipate quickly - so the feel is a combination I like. The 12% is hidden by the heat at the end. And that heat is significant. For me, the back end heat is just too much. I can't get past it - it's what the beer is supposed to be, for sure, but it's just too much for me to have really enjoyed this beer.

3.42/5  rDev -16%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Aroma is dark malts, milk stout characteristics and a good hint of heat. The flavor is dark malts, chocolate and a long and deep heat in the finish. The first sip was not too bad as far as heat but after the second it became far too intense, to be expected with an ale made with ghost peppers.

3.44/5  rDev -15.5%

3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

3.5/5  rDev -14%

Space Ghost Imperial Stout from Central Waters Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 88.7% out of 100 with 494 ratings