Kosmyk Charlie's Y2K Catastrophe Ale | Central Waters Brewing Co.

Kosmyk Charlie's Y2K Catastrophe AleKosmyk Charlie's Y2K Catastrophe Ale

Central Waters Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
centralwaters.com

Style: American Barleywine

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-22-2002

4.19/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2012 Vintage.

A - Deep amber with a thin layer of taupe coloured head.

S - Rich toffee, raisins, dark caramel and figs.

T - Rich toffee, caramel, raisins, figs and a hint of chocolate. A big hop profile cuts through the sweetness but doesn't add much aside from a touch of pine. Warming alcohol presence throughout.

M - Full body. Viscous. Light carbonation.

4.07/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Central Waters Brewing Company, Inc. Brewers Reserve Kosmyk Charlie's Y2K Catastrophe Ale Barley-wine Style Ale. Amherst, WI.

Y2K? Wasn't that 13 years ago? What's going on here? I thought I'd had this before, but there's no evidence of it. I must've had it when I wasn't taking notes. Or maybe I'm out of my damned mind. A resurrection of an old ale beyond it's enjoy by date? Okay.
Let's get to this bottle already…

Look of it: Deep crimson coloring, large, lush creamy-toned head, lovely stuff.

Smell of it: ridiculously rich, deep, dark and crazily delicious. Dark fruit, cherry, berry, brandy, leather, luscious and massively malty,

Tasting it: Luxurious. Expansive. Full to bursting. Malt to the max, hops a plenty. It's all going on. It's giving me all the things I want in a barley-wine. Should I age this? Isn't it already 13 years old? The bottled on says: nothing? There seems to be some marks somewhere around November, but it's not clear. (There are similar random markings around June, July, and August.) It's like there are some random scratchings in the direction of that particular square. And I don't remember when I bought it, it's been sitting around waiting for me to take these notes for months.

Let's see what the label tell us: "Originally designed for the Y2K survival kit, this beer has proven to be a staple for anyone's emergency plan. Kosmyk Charlie's is a delightful treat, aged for a year in our cellars to create brew smooth enough to overcome any disaster. So when homeland security raises the alert level, open a Kosmyk Charlie's and raise your glass."

Interesting. The Y2K threat is long gone, but one thing has appeared since then that we didn't have in 2000, or 1999, and that''s Homeland Security and alert levels. That's it, let's celebrate the latest tragedy.

All in all, a toasty, malty, high alcohol (none given on the label, I'm only guessing). treat, to be sure. Fits all the marks of a true barleywine.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

4.16/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Big thanks to michigan for extraing me this long tinge want. Enjoyed from my central waters snifter. Beer pours a fairly muddy brown with a generous off white head. Beer stinks of toffee and caramel and bready malts. Still a nice hop presence too. Not bad for a 2012. Taste is great. Aggressively faded hops give a real nice buttery caramel toffee with a hint of grape. Easy drinker. Really exceeded my expectations. Great barley wine worth checking out.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

1.75/5  rDev -57.4%

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Kosmyk Charlie's Y2K Catastrophe Ale from Central Waters Brewing Co.