Brewhouse Coffee Stout | Central Waters Brewing Co.

Brewhouse Coffee StoutBrewhouse Coffee Stout

Central Waters Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
centralwaters.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

A coffee lover's delight! A wonderful stout infused with coffee that is specially roasted for us by Emy J's in Stevens Point, WI.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-18-2007

1.61/5  rDev -61.8%

12 oz. bottle from October... something, poured into a Duvel tulip. Courtesy of therealnomayo's hookup. I'll admit that I was reticent going into this beer: just a few days earlier, I'd opened up a pretty revolting bottle of Peruvian Morning. Let's see what this coffee-forward Central Waters offering holds.

It's black, no light escapes the glass. A half-finger light tan head dissipates quickly, leaving only a ring of lace on the surface of the beer. Almost no residual lacing afterwards.

The aroma of this beer is oddly, sickeningly reminiscent of that Peruvian Morning I previously reviewed. Vegetables. Corn chips. Maybe some chocolate, but where is the coffee? Imagine if all of the aromatic descriptors that BAs throw around when reviewing Cantillons actually sucked – that’s sort of what this smells like. Fetid pond water, actual horse blankets, festering cabbage. I imagine that the Globe Theater smelled like this after particularly poor performances of Shakespearean works.

The taste is a slight improvement on the smell. Coffee and lingering bitterness, but that characteristic has clearly faded. There’s a strange, prune-like taste in the mix. The aftertaste is pretty rank, sour and bitter all at once. Again, this is a disaster.

I’ll give this to Central Waters: the mouthfeel is decent. For a beer this high in ABV it could stand a little more viscosity, but at least the carbonation is pretty on point.

Am I getting old bottles? Do Central Waters beers drop off incredibly quickly? The two coffee beers I've had from this brewery have both been among the worst beers I've drank. I will hold out hope for other non-coffee offerings from them.

2.43/5  rDev -42.4%

12 oz bottled 10/2010 poured into a snifter. Reddish brown with a light tan colored head, this stout pours quite clear and looks good -- medium head retention and good lacing. However, it's just not dark enough.

Smells peppery with some notes of coffee, coconut, and cream. Still not a whole lot going on here! Bittersweet and yucky, second rate coffee comes to mind upon first sip. I don't have a great taste in coffee, I admit, but this still seems weird. The mouthfeel is not bad... carbonation is okay and the body is actually quite decent compared to how thin this stout looked. But overall this was a disappointment and a drainpour.

Score: Appearance 3.5/5; Aroma 3/5; Taste 2/5; Mouthfeel 3/5; Overall 2/5

2.47/5  rDev -41.5%

blind beer whatever number it is.... Thanks to MpBugeye for this bottle-- part of an awesome package he put together for me. Says to use a snifter.

Reviewed (initially) completely blind-- no knowledge of brewery, beer, or style.

Pours a dark brown with hues of red. As this fills my Darkness snifter, I am reminded of Bell's 9000... the thought of it makes me even smell some black licorice... but only for a moment. Big chocolatey malts and coffee with cream come flooding my olfactory. The head is small... and goes away quickly. Some spotty chunks of lace, but not much.

The body is really thin. This is probably a porter or a brown ale... Maybe a cheap rip-off of my beloved Surly Coffee-Bender? If that is what they were going for, they missed the mark! Don't get me wrong though-- this beer isn't bad by any means-- it just isn't anywhere near Coffee Bender (one of the finest coffee beers I've had).

The taste has some sweet malts, then a creamy sugary flavor, then coffee and bitter chocolate malts. hmmm. It is tasty, but the finish is weird. I can't say exactly what the problem is, but I can say it has to do with the beer being too dry. The finish has me feeling parched-- like I have been stuck in a desert for 3 days. The beer is overcarbonated I think, which really helps to make the body feel too thin. By the time the liquid reaches my throat, it has almost all dissolved. I've had this issue with a beer when it was infected before-- but I am certain that isn't the case here. The beer didn't foam and gush (hell, I only got about half a finger of head!) and the flavor hints at nothing that would indicate an infection.

This isn't one I would really want to drink again... The beer reminds me of soda-- chocolate coffee flavored soda. The coffee isn't good coffee, but cheap synthetic frozen Folgers type stuff. Meh.

---Reveals it to be: Central Waters Brewhouse Coffee Stout--

Wow. Really? I had this before once at a tasting and didn't even bother to review it because I was so unimpressed... But this was even less impressive than I remember. The body is far too thin, watery, and overcarbonated to be a good stout. The coffee is lousy. The beer isn't horrible-- but it certainly isn't one I'll be trading for!

a- 2.5
s- 3
t- 2.5
m- 1
d- 2.5

Thanks to Seth-- I know this is a beer lots of people look for, sorry to rate so harshly!

2.5/5  rDev -40.8%

2.56/5  rDev -39.3%

Reviewed on 7/26/08. Bottle shared by notalush. Pours a dark dark brown with a small tan head. Aroma of sweet malt, dark fruits, and raisin. The flavor is all bitter coffee, along with some iced tea and a bitter nut finish. This beer was odd and the coffee flavor was very weak and bad. One of the worst coffee beers I've had. I'm surprised by the high ratings.
6/4/5/2/10 (2.7/5)

2.66/5  rDev -37%

A - ruby hued brown, pretty opaque, very nice head to start, a finger of thick tan foam that dissipates within a couple minutes, very nice lacing

S - chocolate, burnt malt, stale coffee, caramel, maple syrup. coffee notes are not pleasing, but only one part of the nose

T - charred, overextracted coffee is primary flavor, tastes like that "Black Silk" crap from Folgers, roasted malt and slight hop bittering come through in the finish. Some nice malty sweetness is present along with some molasses, but it doesn't balance out the astringent French Roast characteristics. A lighter roasted Indonesian coffee would have probably helped this out, providing body without all the unpleasant burnt coffee flavors. I also suspect the coffee used in the brewing might have oxidized a bit, which sucks. I drink a lot of coffee (a lot) and this tastes a lot like the coffees I try to avoid. As I drink more my palate adjusts but it doesn't ever really get over the off flavors

M - pretty thick, not too carbonated, nice mouth coating qualities

D - burnt coffee does not go down very well, plust the thickness of the beer limits my ability to quaff this completely

I like coffee, I like stouts, and I like a lot of coffee stouts (New Glarus and Founders Breakfast Stout for instance). This tastes like a coffee I would hate as the main ingredient in a solid but not very exciting stout.

2.75/5  rDev -34.8%

3.01/5  rDev -28.7%

Got this one last summer, but can't remember who from. Cheers to the mystery trader!

From a bottle into a snifter
Brewed in October 2010

APPEARANCE: Pours a really thin, transparent brown and produces a small, looser looking, light tan head with lousy retention. Transparent dark brown body with no carbonation evident. Head fades to a slight wisp, but only a ring remains until the end and leaves no lacing down the glass. Way too thin, and head was lack luster.

SMELL: Coffee is there, some light notes of sweet cream and roasted malts. Mild, but nothing is wrong per se.

TASTE: Better than the nose for sure. Roasted and coffee notes with some nice sweet cream and vanilla at the swallow. Bolder and lingering aftertaste of roasted malts, bitter roasted coffee and a touch of vanilla sweetness. Not bad.

PALATE: Slightly thinner body with higher levels of carbonation. Light on the palate, slightly creamy, goes down alright but burns a touch at the swallow and finishes a touch mouth-coating. A little light and thin for the style.

OVERALL: There were a lot of things missing in this beer, but luckily the flavor was enjoyable enough. Really too light and thin for the style. In all honesty, I've yet to be impressed with any Central Waters stuff, but I still hold out hope. Thanks again.

3.04/5  rDev -28%

3.08/5  rDev -27%

Poured into my Schell's shaker pint, Brewhouse Coffee Stout is dark brown with a light tan head leaving scattered lace.

Smell is on the sweeter side, but with a distinct tinge of acrid coffee grinds.

Taste is pretty heavy on the coffee, with a sweet stout/porter base. The coffee comes off a bit angular, metallic, sharp, not really working for me.

Mouthfeel is off-dry, medium bodied.

Drinkability is okay, it clearly tastes of coffee, but not really in a good way. Eh, not impressed, although it is smooth, and the alcohol well hidden.

3.13/5  rDev -25.8%

Poured into a Bells Tulip glass.

Appearance: Black body with a creamy white head. Good coat of lacing clings to the side of the glass.

Smell: Coffee and sweetness imparted from malts smells like caramel.

Taste: Stale coffee with bitterness imparted from the coffee and malty sweetness. Mild alcohol flavor as it approaches room temperature. Not much complexity here, mostly a flavor of premium coffee is what i think the brewer intended for in this beer.

Mouthfeel: This beer is smooth and creamy. Medium bodied stout with moderate carbonation.

Overall: I think that i need to try this beer when it is fresh. The coffee tasted a bit stale to me and i think that it will make the beer much better when its fresh. i will have to try it in the fall of 2012.

3.22/5  rDev -23.7%

Faux jet black. More like mahogany. The head dissipates rather quick for my liking, edges reveal quite a bit of singular tiny bubble stream. Not microscopic, just mini. Barely a collar left. Edging reveals a standard brown hue.

Gentle roast, toasted grass, some background char, small hits of ethanol, small hits of raisin. Its very minor in terms of aroma strength. Not the greatest, not the worst. Its there, but I gotta work at it to find it.

First impressions are tasty roast. Like a standard folgers coffee roasted flavor. This flows forth to percolate, grind itself around, and reveal some charred grain flavor. Finish has mostly burnt flavors, occasionally a dark bitter chocolate taint, and always a wooden toothpick like grainy flavor.

Full bodied, thin at times. Carbonation off the bat is light and well placed. Medium stickiness. Feels like your everyday average American stout.

Not bad, not amazing. I like it, but its similar to my favorite style as of right now. Could use some contrasting flavors, thicken itself up, perhaps take some of the acrid nature back a bit, oh and increase that coffee flavor wherever its coming from! Just things I'd like a minor change of.

And reveal is.. Fudgeee... Central Waters Brewhouse Coffee Stout!... Why isn't this more coffee forward? Why is it so hidden and mild? Oh... I see. Bottled in October from the side. That can definitely explain that aspect of it I suppose. Still, quite nice to try!

3.25/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.27/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A little thin for my liking. Strong coffee flavors though.

3.31/5  rDev -21.6%

Pours a dark reddish brown, looking rather light for a stout, with about a one-finger tan dense head that slowly relaxes to a layer on the surface. A few flakes of sediment floating around, despite a fairly careful pour. I don't mind a bit of sediment in my beer, but this is kinda chunky and flaky, and not that appealing.

Smell is a nice mix of coffee and bitter chocolate, with some lingering light fruity sweetness down there (peaches). The coffee is definitely dominant, but it's a good coffee aroma, and the rest of the smell is well-rounded.

Taste is, again, coffee with a bit of chocolate, but much less balanced than the smell. Unfortunately, the bitterness of the coffee comes through much more than the good coffee flavors. It's a bit light drinking espresso that's been over-extracted. The stout is there, but definitely plays second fiddle to the coffee. Which is unfortunate, as it could use some richness or oomph to balance it out.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, pretty light for a stout, with medium-low carbonation.

This is a decent beer. But it's a stout? Could've fooled me. It's somewhat comparable to Surly's Coffee Bender (which is, yes, a brown ale), though not nearly as good. It's light, the coffee flavor is bitter, and there's not enough else to it. IMO, there are much better coffee stouts out there. As I write this, this beer is the top-rated American Stout on BA. Am I missing something?

3.34/5  rDev -20.9%

Thanks again to Eric for this treat.

A: Pours brown with a slight head.

S: Chocolate and some good coffee, not the gas station type. A little roasted malt.

T: Bitter coffee flavor with hint of bitter chocolate. The coffee taste does'nt come through as the smell suggests. Slight alcohol finish.

M: Medium thick feel with adequate carbonation.

D: Could drink just 1 more

3.36/5  rDev -20.4%

Recognition for hooking me up with a couple bottles of this has to go out to "my main man!" Hey, its basketball season, we're getting hyped up for the Blazers chances as the sixth seed in the playoffs, and I've been watching too much Ahmad Rashad. Thanks zimmerbloke.

A: A bit thin looking medium brown in the glass. A finger of espresso looking head hangs out for a long time. It never loses a full clumpy cap and copious amounts of lacing clings to my glass. 4/5

S: Probably not as coffee driven at this point compared to fresher. Its more of a coffee-colla kind of thing right now. I wish there was some more earthy and robust coffee here. 3/5

T: Equal parts smooth french press and sweet milk chocolate. A dash of floral hops rounds out the flavor for some balance. 3.5/5

M: Thin, clean, brisk, and porter like. A little more body is needed here to propel the beer into the upper echelon. 3/5

O: If Founders Breakfast Stout and Terrapin Wake N' Bake are my bench marks for 8% coffee stouts, this would have to be more on the average side for my palate. I had a Brewhouse about a month ago and thought it might be up to the challenge of competing with the big boys. I had an FBS just a week ago though and now realize that this beer is not quite to that level. Its still enjoyable though, and you wouldn't catch me turning one down if offered. 3.5/5

3.37/5  rDev -20.1%

3.4/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A: Pours dark brown. Not much carbonation at all. Very thin layer of tan head.

S: Coffee, roasted malt and molasses.

T: Underwhelming coffee flavor and not much else. Tastes kind of watered down. Some bitter chocolate and burnt coffee in the finish.

M: thin and watery. I would prefer it to be a little thicker with more carbonation.

8% abv is really well hidden. This was disappointingly average. If you want a coffee stout from Central Waters go with a Peruvian Morning!

Brewhouse Coffee Stout from Central Waters Brewing Co.